Elder Scrolls Online will lay final nail in WoW's coffin

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for HouseMuzik4Life
HouseMuzik4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HouseMuzik4Life
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQqOfsYGenI

What do you guys think? I know the vid's old but I just found it...seriously believe this is the WoW killer we've been waiting for.

(And by we I mean people who can't play Japanese MMOs with their crappy art styles)

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

What do you guys think? I know the vid's old but I just found it...seriously believe this is the WoW killer we've been waiting for.

(And by we I mean people who can't play Japanese MMOs with their crappy art styles)

HouseMuzik4Life

hahaha no ESO is just another silly cash grab and will be "medicore" at best

HouseMuzik4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HouseMuzik4Life

[QUOTE="HouseMuzik4Life"]

ionusX

A cash grab that required Zenimax to dedicate 250 people to their new "Online" studio for the last 5 years...right.
KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

I don't know exactly how its going to turn out, but I strongly doubt it will take WoW down. I am in ESO's favour here, but I just can't see it happen.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts
[QUOTE="ionusX"]

HouseMuzik4Life

A cash grab that required Zenimax to dedicate 250 people to their new "Online" studio for the last 5 years...right.

Same could be said about SWtor and Age of Conan, see hpw that turned out. The only that that will put the nail in the coffin that is wow, will be Blizzards "titan" project. p.s My MMO of choice is Secret world.
HouseMuzik4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HouseMuzik4Life
[QUOTE="HouseMuzik4Life"][QUOTE="ionusX"] hahaha no ESO is just another silly cash grab and will be "medicore" at bestkaealy

Same could be said about SWtor and Age of Conan, see hpw that turned out. The only that that will put the nail in the coffin that is wow, will be Blizzards "titan" project. p.s My MMO of choice is Secret world.

Fuuuck you're so right. TITAN WILL KEEP US IN THE HOUSE FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS FUUUUUUUCKK
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

WoW will still be around long after ESO closes

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Many people have claimed that X will be the next WoW killer and its never happened. Probably the only thing that will "kill" WoW is what Blizzard comes out with next and possibly even that won't kill WoW.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
ITT: People not realizing even Everquest is still going. The last 10 MMOs that came out were called "WoW killers" before they even came out.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Looks promising in some aspects, others have me worried. Have to wait and see how the public receives the final product. As for WoW, only WoW can kill WoW.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yeah just like every promising MMO, in fact WoWs coffin must be like the iron throne from Game of Thrones... However I do want the game to be the absolute best MMO ever made, there's just so much lore in Elder Scrolls that it would be stupid of them to go after a cash grab.
WinsteadVolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WinsteadVolve
Member since 2011 • 366 Posts

They'll just run side by side, nothing stopping consumers having both. Blizzard do well in keeping interest.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Ya, it will kill WoW. Like all other MMORPGs that were going to kill WoW.
Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts
yeah... not even. ESO is looking to be just another MMO in the sea of MMOs.
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
Dude, this happens with literally EVERY single big name MMO. Really, I've been there: back with AoC, Aion, Rift, LoTRO, SWTOR, GW2, etc... Everyone either just gets disappointed and/or realizes its just WoW reskined. Can't we just learn from our mistakes, stop hyping MMOs and just wait and see?
Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

HouseMuzik4Life

Son why do i even care to look at this stupid topic name and this fail conversaion ? We already watched 20 mins of TESO gameplay its a crap , basicaly crap.  Nothing more and its on old stadium of developing so no turning back.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
ESO looks like a very mediocre themepark MMO from the leaked alpha footage. Its going to be extremely average IMO. Themepark MMORPG's have had their day, proven time and again with the likes of SWTOR, WAR, etc.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

Luckily I haven't played any MMO besides TSW, so this might actuallly be rewarding from what I've seen and from what I believe it too be.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

There was leaked gameplay footage a couple months back and it looks downright f*cking terrible. Literally, one of the worst games I've ever seen. And im a huge ES fan. I thoroughly enjoyed Age of Conan for the first couple of years. But the lack meaningful updates, dumbing down of the PvP, and dwindling population killed that game. So much potential AoC had...

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
The only thing stoping wow is wow2.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
There was a 20 mins leaked footage awhile ago. The game looked unimpressive both in terms of graphics and gameplay. There was no proper Elder Scrolls first person view at time of that video.
k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#22 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

another wow killer lol

Nothing can kill wow but itself

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Looks promising in some aspects, others have me worried. Have to wait and see how the public receives the final product. As for WoW, only WoW can kill WoW.FelipeInside

If desteny does come to the pc..Its sort of a mmo..Think that has a strong shot an taking wow down..Desteny looks great..

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts
[QUOTE="HouseMuzik4Life"][QUOTE="kaealy"][QUOTE="HouseMuzik4Life"] A cash grab that required Zenimax to dedicate 250 people to their new "Online" studio for the last 5 years...right.

Fuuuck you're so right. TITAN WILL KEEP US IN THE HOUSE FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS FUUUUUUUCKK

You know I am right, there's no need to bring the discussion to the playground at the kindergarden.
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

HouseMuzik4Life
I'm actually very excited about ESO (since its basically DAOC 2.0) but it will never ever be the WoW killer, not by a long shot. Its a very RVR (and by that, PVP) thus its going to cater to a strong but very niche community. BUT it will be a cut amongst a thousand cuts that may topple the behemoth. Thats the only way WoW can go down. Yet even then, all WoW needs to do is implement F2P and you can bet that it will be the number 1 MMO again very easily.
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
There was a 20 mins leaked footage awhile ago. The game looked unimpressive both in terms of graphics and gameplay. There was no proper Elder Scrolls first person view at time of that video.GhoX
The video is made by someone who quite obviously intended to show the game in a bad light, amongst other things. The way he was playing the game, you can do it on any game and they will come out looking bad. A couple commentaries about the leaked video that anyone whos interested in ESO should watch : Tamriel Talk : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9xMeH558RU Shoddycast : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FA9Ua-lR4Q
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="GhoX"]There was a 20 mins leaked footage awhile ago. The game looked unimpressive both in terms of graphics and gameplay. There was no proper Elder Scrolls first person view at time of that video.mirgamer
The video is made by someone who quite obviously intended to show the game in a bad light, amongst other things. The way he was playing the game, you can do it on any game and they will come out looking bad. A couple commentaries about the leaked video that anyone whos interested in ESO should watch : Tamriel Talk : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9xMeH558RU Shoddycast : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FA9Ua-lR4Q

That dude soooo bought GW2 collector's edition.. he's leet.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts

They invested 300 million dollars into the studio and game. It better do well.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

it looked "ok" in the gameplay videos I have seen.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

There was a 20 mins leaked footage awhile ago. The game looked unimpressive both in terms of graphics and gameplay. There was no proper Elder Scrolls first person view at time of that video.GhoX

"b...b...bu.... it's a BETA!!! They'll fix it!!!! It will improve!"

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jebus213

it looked "ok" in the gameplay videos I have seen.

PcGamingRig

That's not good enough.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jebus213

They invested 300 million dollars into the studio and game. It better do well.

NEWMAHAY

It's Elder Scrolls so it will sell. It's going to be Free-to-play 6 months after release because the game is just that bad.

darkman006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 darkman006
Member since 2009 • 933 Posts

Going to be one of those, "Next big mmo things" and then turn into a free mmo...hopefully not though. 

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i'm definitely not a part of the Gamespot Blizzard Defense Force, but WoW isn't even near its coffin, yet.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

The Elder Scrolls has a lot of lore, but the real reason to play it is the exploration. So this MMO could be fun just exploring everything. The problem is you eventually will explore everything, and then, there is little reason to keep playing. MMOs have to be based around excellent gameplay. Gameplay that you will keep playing again and again. So far the gameplay in TESO doesn't seem all that great. I think it comes down to business model. If they go Subscription, the game will fail just like SWTOR did. If they go Buy to Play like GW2, it will probably do okay initially. They will need good DLC to sustain it though.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

There's no such thing as a 'WoW killer'. Because simply, the casuals that play WoW, don't play it because it's a very polished theme-park mmorpg, but because it's WoW. Even if something exactly like WoW comes around but with many additional features, better graphics etc, these crowds will still play WoW because that's the only thing they want to play.

Devs that are trying to chip away at WoW's userbase are pretty damn stupid, and finally now most people realise that it's just WoW that's so damn popular, and not theme-parks in general. That's why we are finally seeing some hope for the sandbox mmorpg genre.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
This game is gonna flop so hard, not only the gameplay sucks but they also butchered the lore.
NicotineKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NicotineKid
Member since 2006 • 1475 Posts

We have all heard about these "wowkillers" before, and none have succeeded so far. :roll:

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Animations :lol: are we in the 90's or 2013?
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

as much as i hate WoW, i doubt any one MMO will lay nail in WoWs cofffin. andit probably wont be this one

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#42 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

ionusX

While I think any "death to WoW" thread is silly.....good luck with this prediction, I will be sure to save this.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#43 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Someone bookmark this thread and bump it 6 months after ESO is released.
cablemodemx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#44 cablemodemx2
Member since 2003 • 1000 Posts

I don't think any single game could manage to place a nail in WoW's coffin.

It'll simply take the steady release of new ones to cause WoW to continue to hemorrhage accounts until there's nothing left but the four or so million gold sellers.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#45 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
This game is gonna flop so hard, not only the gameplay sucks but they also butchered the lore.rmfd341
Played it have you? All your stupid thread did was stir up a bunch of haters who want the game to fail, as haters on these boards typically do for any upcoming game anyone has a little hype for.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

All leaked TESO footage looks like hot garbage. The only thing that'll kill WoW is itself/Blizzard. Why don't people understand that yet?

Played it have you? All your stupid thread did was stir up a bunch of haters who want the game to fail, as haters on these boards typically do for any upcoming game anyone has a little hype for. vfibsux

Drone defense. You don't need to play it to know some of the main issues with it. There are multiple lists out there that state the inconsistancies/butchering to the lore the writers are doing, and those are all gathered from interviews and not the game itself.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I still don't understand why an MMO has to "kill" another to be good? Different games can,exist at the same time you know.... Like, every other genre does.
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

HouseMuzik4Life
it has to have intense and complex end game (level capped) raids that require 110% team effort with skilled and dedicated harcore players that are interrested in playing for 4 years straight to even try to compete with wow. yeah, yeah, i know the raids (in wow) aren't what they used to be. but still nothing comes even close to wow raids and that is 90% of the whole game and why it is so succesful. so if tes online can do hard core raids, have huge install base and also hardcore pvp (at the level cap) and also have a huge amunt of loot that is hard, and not at all easy to get, then it has a chance. also it will need KB/M support to succeed. controllers just won't cut it in MMOs because you need to have a large amount of skills that are very hard to master or the game will become to generaic and boring real quick.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Just looks like another guild wars 2 to me, a flashy substancless game .... with no real staying powering. 4 man dungeons only... jesus christ its like these games want to take the genre backwards.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Summarization of ESO: Elder Scrolls and MMO junkies will love it. Everyone else: ESO flopped. :-P