Elder Scrolls Online will lay final nail in WoW's coffin

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#52 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] 4 man dungeons only... jesus christ its like these games want to take the genre backwards.

And adventure zones which will feature large group content.....but I guess it is more convenient to not tell the whole story.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 vfibsux

All leaked TESO footage looks like hot garbage. The only thing that'll kill WoW is itself/Blizzard. Why don't people understand that yet?

[QUOTE="vfibsux"] Played it have you? All your stupid thread did was stir up a bunch of haters who want the game to fail, as haters on these boards typically do for any upcoming game anyone has a little hype for. ChubbyGuy40

Drone defense. You don't need to play it to know some of the main issues with it. There are multiple lists out there that state the inconsistancies/butchering to the lore the writers are doing, and those are all gathered from interviews and not the game itself.

The difference between you and me is I wait for the game to actually release.....and omg I know it is crazy but wait for it...............PLAY IT....... before saying it is a guaranteed flop or success.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I still don't understand why an MMO has to "kill" another to be good? Different games can,exist at the same time you know.... Like, every other genre does.

That's true, however too many good MMOs makes for empty servers.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"] 4 man dungeons only... jesus christ its like these games want to take the genre backwards.

And adventure zones which will feature large group content.....but I guess it is more convenient to not tell the whole story.

Sigh.... you will defend anything won't you? "Adventure Zones are endgame areas that will contain PvE elements such as: Non-storyline quests, open world dungeons, instanced dungeons, and group bosses. They will add to progression at max level, and can be repeated multiple times for xp." yet "no plans for raids, no plans for content above 4 players that isn't world events" So in other words ... its Cursed Shore again ..... But then you guys liked that crud so more power to you I guess.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 vfibsux
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"] 4 man dungeons only... jesus christ its like these games want to take the genre backwards.

Sigh.... you will defend anything won't you? "Adventure Zones are endgame areas that will contain PvE elements such as: Non-storyline quests, open world dungeons, instanced dungeons, and group bosses. They will add to progression at max level, and can be repeated multiple times for xp." yet "no plans for raids, no plans for content above 4 players that isn't world events" So in other words ... its Cursed Shore again ..... But then you guys liked that crud so more power to you I guess.

Sigh...you will bash anything won't you? Not everyone wants WoW 2.
SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#57 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

^They want stagnation and decadence instead ?

I hope they'll cater to the lore and exploration aspects, because the core gameplay looks really shallow...

Ghoulishtie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Ghoulishtie
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts

I am from the upcoming year 2015. ESO fails, everyone wishes it was FTP to begin with, and WoW continues to suceed with yet another expansion, Warlords of Draenor. Trust me, i'm from the internet.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Ghoulishtie said:

I am from the upcoming year 2015. ESO fails, everyone wishes it was FTP to begin with, and WoW continues to suceed with yet another expansion, Warlords of Draenor. Trust me, i'm from the internet.

Fail troll

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@vfibsux said:
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] 4 man dungeons only... jesus christ its like these games want to take the genre backwards. And adventure zones which will feature large group content.....but I guess it is more convenient to not tell the whole story.

There is 24 man content. if you look at the videos they put out by Bethesda their dugeon finder has a 24 player option.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 vfibsux

@Ghoulishtie said:

Time travel will be invented in 2015? Awesome!

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

@QQabitmoar said:

There's no such thing as a 'WoW killer'. Because simply, the casuals that play WoW, don't play it because it's a very polished theme-park mmorpg, but because it's WoW. Even if something exactly like WoW comes around but with many additional features, better graphics etc, these crowds will still play WoW because that's the only thing they want to play.

Devs that are trying to chip away at WoW's userbase are pretty damn stupid, and finally now most people realise that it's just WoW that's so damn popular, and not theme-parks in general. That's why we are finally seeing some hope for the sandbox mmorpg genre.

I don't understand this at all. You are saying that gamers don't like good games. They just like WoW. They don't like WoW because WoW is a good game. They like it because it is WoW. Why WoW? Why not any other of the hundreds of MMORPGs out there? There has to be some reason(s) as to why people choose WoW. Saying the reason is, "it's WoW" is not a reason!

Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

@Falconoffury said:

@QQabitmoar said:

There's no such thing as a 'WoW killer'. Because simply, the casuals that play WoW, don't play it because it's a very polished theme-park mmorpg, but because it's WoW. Even if something exactly like WoW comes around but with many additional features, better graphics etc, these crowds will still play WoW because that's the only thing they want to play.

Devs that are trying to chip away at WoW's userbase are pretty damn stupid, and finally now most people realise that it's just WoW that's so damn popular, and not theme-parks in general. That's why we are finally seeing some hope for the sandbox mmorpg genre.

I don't understand this at all. You are saying that gamers don't like good games. They just like WoW. They don't like WoW because WoW is a good game. They like it because it is WoW. Why WoW? Why not any other of the hundreds of MMORPGs out there? There has to be some reason(s) as to why people choose WoW. Saying the reason is, "it's WoW" is not a reason!

Actually he is right. A lot of my friends won't leave WoW because of the investments they have made with there characters. Some are hardcore and have been since day one others are very casual. Its not like most MMO players don't try other MMO's they just play it for the free month and go back to WoW after. I imagine a lot of folks will do the same thing with ESO.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

The game is on console.... Hardcore players wont like the fact you can only do four attacks.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

There are far too many people still addicted to WoW for it to ever die. Blizzard are the only ones that can kill WoW.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

lol I remember when everyone used to say that Star Wars TOR would be the "wow killer".

The game floped hard and went f2p within a year.

The same thing will happen to ESO,it will flop and go f2p within a year.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By vfibsux

@PCgameruk said:

The game is on console.... Hardcore players wont like the fact you can only do four attacks.

It plays like a console game too, more so than Skyrim even. Still think it will be very popular....just not so much for PC enthusiasts. Hoping EQ Next revives this genre because all of the current stuff coming out has been simplified, dumbed down crap.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Honestly, TESO is not that great. It's basically a dumbed down Skyrim made into a MMORPG. I don't know what they were thinking when they made the game.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23959 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@PCgameruk said:

It plays like a console game too, more so than Skyrim even. Still think it will be very popular....just not so much for PC enthusiasts. Hoping EQ Next revives this genre because all of the current stuff coming out has been simplified, dumbed down crap.

Sadly, the chance of that happening is already next to none. EQN looks like more mindless garbage. Half of your weapons are determined by your weapon, bosses going "Lookie here, I am planting this big red circle on the ground, so make sure you get out of the radius" and flashy action combat. At this point I would consider myself lucky to even have resource management, the fact that a lot of the devs are supposedly fans of Neverwinter isnt very encouraging to me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#71 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59214 Posts

I heard from a mate who I respect and is quite a fan of the series that it's shite.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By vfibsux

@uninspiredcup said:

I heard from a mate who I respect and is quite a fan of the series that it's shite.

I can confirm that. Don't get me wrong, it runs well....just a watered down version of Elder Scrolls from what I see.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I saw the Quakecon footage. The game looks not impressive. Texture detail is severely lacking for a 2014 game. There is seems to be no visual GUI. You don't see what spells and techniques you have, and their cooldowns.

On the positive side, I like the fact that the game uses FPS combat. The animations and effects look good.

I feel that we haven't seen or learned enough to make a verdict here. I'm still hoping for an open world PvP server, with consequences on death. Watching and waiting.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I'm downloading the game atm (though I keep getting an error). We'll have to see. I'm enjoying GW2 already, and I am having doubts that it's going to match any of the Elder Scrolls games out right now.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Even if you kill WoW, you can't kill WoW. What WoW has done to the MMO industry, unfortunately, can never be changed. Any game that takes its place will likely be greatly inspired by it (as much as I'd like the opposite). Hopefully the next big MMO is a socialite MMO where you raid celeb parties and stuff.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By vfibsux

@KHAndAnime said:

Even if you kill WoW, you can't kill WoW. What WoW has done to the MMO industry, unfortunately, can never be changed. Any game that takes its place will likely be greatly inspired by it (as much as I'd like the opposite). Hopefully the next big MMO is a socialite MMO where you raid celeb parties and stuff.

For once we agree. I hate what WoW did to this genre. ESO would actually be a better game if it took a little more from WoW, actually. I think WoW has more exploration value then ESO does. Imagine that.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Only thing that can "Kill WoW" is if it stops giving Blizzard any revenue.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@KHAndAnime said:

For once we agree. I hate what WoW did to this genre. ESO would actually be a better game if it took a little more from WoW, actually. I think WoW has more exploration value then ESO does. Imagine that.

There are quite a few MMOs out there that do things very differently to WoW, so the industry can (and has) changed.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23959 Posts

@FelipeInside: Problem is, most of them are either very old or just poorly thought out and/or executed. I would love to see a dev that knows what they are doing to try their hand on an mmo without the delusion that you must do X, Y and Z to create a good game.

Edit: Unfortunately, publishers will just want devs to go after WoW's pie instead.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 vfibsux

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

@KHAndAnime said:

There are quite a few MMOs out there that do things very differently to WoW, so the industry can (and has) changed.

Before you can debate my point you would have to ask the question...."what do you think WoW do to this genre?" Since you didn't ask and replied based on a false premise I would enlighten you to what I actually meant. I say it must have been a false premise because there is no MMO that has undone what WoW has done to the genre.

This is nothing that has not been said before by the way, so not sure why you assumed. I am not talking action vs tab targetting, I am talking how WoW dumbed down the MMO genre to make it more accessible to the masses. It revolutionized MMO's into being glorified chat rooms from the actual social experience they used to be. No one played EQ solo for any long period of time, typically you soloed while waiting for a group or if you had limited play time. Asheron's Call was THE social MMO of its time, probably the best community in a game ever, along with Ultima Online. You could solo in any of these games, but it would more rewarding to group in every way. As such, you had much fewer dicks then than you do now. There were no quest markers, there were no X marks the spot quest locations, you actually had mystery and exploration. WoW started the hand holding that continues today. Yes there are exceptions here that have broken away from the WoW formula such as EVE and Darkfall, but they are just that...exceptions.

Obviously there was a place for WoW in PC gaming, otherwise it would not have become so popular. I would be a fool not to recognize that. I just hate what it did to the genre and am one of the few who would love to see the old school stuff make a return. It will never happen though because no developer will pass up big bucks to please a small crowd.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 FelipeInside

@vfibsux said:

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Before you can debate my point you would have to ask the question...."what do you think WoW do to this genre?" Since you didn't ask and replied based on a false premise I would enlighten you to what I actually meant. I say it must have been a false premise because there is no MMO that has undone what WoW has done to the genre.

This is nothing that has not been said before by the way, so not sure why you assumed. I am not talking action vs tab targetting, I am talking how WoW dumbed down the MMO genre to make it more accessible to the masses. It revolutionized MMO's into being glorified chat rooms from the actual social experience they used to be. No one played EQ solo for any long period of time, typically you soloed while waiting for a group or if you had limited play time. Asheron's Call was THE social MMO of its time, probably the best community in a game ever, along with Ultima Online. You could solo in any of these games, but it would more rewarding to group in every way. As such, you had much fewer dicks then than you do now. There were no quest markers, there were no X marks the spot quest locations, you actually had mystery and exploration. WoW started the hand holding that continues today. Yes there are exceptions here that have broken away from the WoW formula such as EVE and Darkfall, but they are just that...exceptions.

Obviously there was a place for WoW in PC gaming, otherwise it would not have become so popular. I would be a fool not to recognize that. I just hate what it did to the genre and am one of the few who would love to see the old school stuff make a return. It will never happen though because no developer will pass up big bucks to please a small crowd.

I agree lots of MMOs try to use the WoW formula, but my point was that not EVERY MMO does it. Games like LOTRO, The Secret World and even Guild Wars 2 tend to do different things to WoW. They also do things similar of course, just like WoW did things similar to Asheron's Call and Everquest.

I agree WoW has been dumbed down as of late. I remember Vanilla and even Burning Crusade where you actually had to pay attention to what you were doing in dungeons, now you just breeze through them like a scenery tour.

PS: WoW didn't have X marks the spot locations, they added that later.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#82  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Developers make MMOs inspired by World of Warcraft because they lack the ability and talent to create innovation in the MMO genre. It's easier to just imitate.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By vfibsux

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

@KHAndAnime said:

I agree lots of MMOs try to use the WoW formula, but my point was that not EVERY MMO does it. Games like LOTRO, The Secret World and even Guild Wars 2 tend to do different things to WoW. They also do things similar of course, just like WoW did things similar to Asheron's Call and Everquest.

I agree WoW has been dumbed down as of late. I remember Vanilla and even Burning Crusade where you actually had to pay attention to what you were doing in dungeons, now you just breeze through them like a scenery tour.

PS: WoW didn't have X marks the spot locations, they added that later.

You completely did not get my point again. LOTRO and GW2 are both easy mode MMO's which you can solo your way through without a peep to another human being, and they both hold your hand the entire journey. Secret World I played too little to comment on, even if it's different enough it is still an EXCEPTION not a rule. Once again....this is not about doing something different than WoW, this is about WoW destroying what this genre started out as in the sense of what I already explained in the first post. And so what if they added x marks the spot later? They were still the first doing it.

If you disagree with that fine, just disagree with the actual point rather than changing what my point was for a 3rd time.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 FelipeInside

@vfibsux

^^ Ahh, I get what you mean now. We were talking about two different things. You were pointing out more about accessibility and difficulty while I was pointing out more towards features and gameplay.

PS: I don't entirely remember though, but I think Asheron's Call had X marks the spot as well. I remember following the map for a specific quest once, I could be wrong.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#85 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59214 Posts

@Elann2008 said:

Developers make MMOs inspired by World of Warcraft because they lack the ability and talent to create innovation in the MMO genre. It's easier to just imitate.

Guild Wars 2.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 vfibsux

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux

^^ Ahh, I get what you mean now. We were talking about two different things. You were pointing out more about accessibility and difficulty while I was pointing out more towards features and gameplay.

PS: I don't entirely remember though, but I think Asheron's Call had X marks the spot as well. I remember following the map for a specific quest once, I could be wrong.

Glad you see it now lol. I don't recall either, I just know it wasn't an easy mode hold your hand MMO.

Been playing ESO more today and it has grown on me some the more I play it. Still not sure about it though. Hopefully I get in a few more betas. It does run very well for a closed beta not due to release for a few months.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#87  Edited By ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

even if it is good, which is just an assumption at this point, I do not think anything will ever take down WoW. It's fan base is so huge. Its subscribers are dropping but the current subscriber numbers are still high despite it barely getting a graphics boost. On top of all of that they have the movie coming and they are going to try and push out an expansion every year. I think WoW will be top dog for a long time.

ManiacalPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#88  Edited By ManiacalPoet
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Guild Wars was already a WoW killer, the thing is that people have too much invested on WoW already

Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#89 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

TESO seems like abomination son mixed from Dad Skyrim and Mom Guild Wars 2. With few hundred degenerations.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@maniacalpoet said:

Guild Wars was already a WoW killer, the thing is that people have too much invested on WoW already

pfffffthahaha

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By vfibsux

Edit:

I will caveat this post with the fact I am not 100% sure this was not a beta restriction, but I was only level 5 and the beta let you play to 17 so I don't think it is. So far from what I have learned is the zones are level restricted.

Original post:

Well just hit a game killer for me....no exploration. I finally got out of a starter area after trying so many combinations, I planned on skipping all questing and just exploring some until the beta ended. I got to the first zone and ran around it in like 10 minutes, which is absurd. GW2 has cities bigger than these zones. I looked for an exit and found one and got the message...."You do not meet the requirement". Are you fucking kidding me? Elder Scrolls? You are locked down in a zone until you level out of it. The same zone you can run around in 10 minutes, you are now stuck in. Get questing.

Basically this is Skyrim without the magic, without the exploration, but with watered down Skyrim style questing and hundreds of other people running around killing everything because they are stuck in the same zones you are.

WoW killer? I might go back to WoW before I pay $15 per month to play a restricted version of Skyrim.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 FelipeInside

@vfibsux said:

Edit:

I will caveat this post with the fact I am not 100% sure this was not a beta restriction, but I was only level 5 and the beta let you play to 17 so I don't think it is. So far from what I have learned is the zones are level restricted.

Original post:

Well just hit a game killer for me....no exploration. I finally got out of a starter area after trying so many combinations, I planned on skipping all questing and just exploring some until the beta ended. I got to the first zone and ran around it in like 10 minutes, which is absurd. GW2 has cities bigger than these zones. I looked for an exit and found one and got the message...."You do not meet the requirement". Are you fucking kidding me? Elder Scrolls? You are locked down in a zone until you level out of it. The same zone you can run around in 10 minutes, you are now stuck in. Get questing.

Basically this is Skyrim without the magic, without the exploration, but with watered down Skyrim style questing and hundreds of other people running around killing everything because they are stuck in the same zones you are.

WoW killer? I might go back to WoW before I pay $15 per month to play a restricted version of Skyrim.

Could the zone thing be a beta restriction?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 vfibsux

@FelipeInside: Yes, hence my caveat. I have been researching more into it and confirmed you do have to level out of this zone as well but was told it was pretty quick. One person explained the zone after this particular one seemed to open it up a bit more, but he had still yet to find any of those "explore off the beaten path, find a cool area, and stop to smell the roses" type of places you found in Elder Scrolls games.

It is almost like it looks and feels just enough like Skyrim to piss you off.