Black Mesa Release Incoming

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cysf661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 cysf661
Member since 2002 • 6599 Posts

What download service did you guys use? i'm having trouble downloading it.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#52 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Guys, just wait for the initial demand to subside. Which should be a few days from now.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#53 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Things that I dislike about the game:

• Jumping is too low. You need to crouch jump over E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Even little kerbs. He jumps about 3 inches off the ground and that's no exaggeration.
  • AI's accuracy is too high. They never miss a shot.
  • Chapters seem a bit shorter than I remember.
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

OMG, it is just an epic remake.2 hours so far in two the game and it rocks!

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Played up to Office Complex. Pretty amazing. They've done a fantastic job.

I was worried when they mentioned level design changes, but they're actually done really well. Thumbs up all round from me.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#56 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

-Unreal-

This holds up for almost every single pre 2004 FPS I've ever played.

I feel like I can blow through all of my old FPSs much faster than before.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I'm excited to try it since I never played HL1

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#58 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

After playing for a couple hours I have to say I'm pretty impressed. It definitely brings back memories, and I'm happy the devs added more to the original game.

Originally after watching the gameplay video with the Marines talking I thought this would be filled with bad voice acting, but so far it's pretty good.

Trinexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Trinexxx
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

Wasdie

This holds up for almost every single pre 2004 FPS I've ever played.

I feel like I can blow through all of my old FPSs much faster than before.

Yeah, this might just be due to having so much experience playing FPS now compared to when we played these old FPS games. The more practice you put into something, the better you will become, so it's not surprising that it feels shorter now.
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#60 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

Started playing, so far I'm almost to Office Complex, and I'm digging it. I like the subtle changes they've made to the original game, like when you find the crowbar and burning zombies.

I like the level of attention to detail these guys have put in this. The easter eggs are still there, the extra visual touches, Kleiner and Eli, it's all very well-done. I'll keep playing and see how the game progresses.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Wow, this is really good! I've played for about 30 minutes so far, and I'm VERY impressed. The attention to detail is incredible, and I like the additions they threw in there. I can't wait to play more.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#62 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I certainly will give this a try. Obviously, the wait has been extremely long, but the creator put in a ton of work into it. And it's free.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

I'm liking this a lot so far but... is anyone else's performance kind of awful at times? Specially in areas with tons of decals and steam or water effects.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

The detail in the recreation is amazing and so far I'm very impressed.

I do feel there are a bit too many eastereggs / inside jokes at the start that ruin my immersion. Basically every readable scentence in the scenery (monitors, posters, books, papers, candybars) is a joke of some kind and it drains the immersion and the freshness of finding something cool and funny.

But nitpicking aside, so far it's amazing.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PetJel
doublepost ftw; my performance is fine @ KillerJuan. Also want to mention I got the game via the torrent link provided by the devs, I got the install in about an hour and that was when there were 10k seeders and 40k leechers. by now it's about 30k seeders and 20k leechers I imagine so speeds should be great.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#66 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

I'm not going to play it on it's release but if people sound of in the positive I might give it a look.

Otherwise, I'll stick to the original and that graphics update that was released with Blue Shift.

R4gn4r0k

Why listen to what other people have to say when you can download it for free yourself and make your own opinion about it;)

Because I value the opinions of others. At least if the responses come back as terrible, it will have saved me the time it takes to download...
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
So great to see people doing projects this big for free, I hope the people who made this get to work with Valve in the future as they clearly have a passion for Half Life.
brandojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68 brandojones
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

I've never played Half Life 1 before just the second one. I've played a couple of hours. I get lost a lot... haha. Anyway, it's pretty cool/fun game so far! It's crazy that they did this for free.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
From the hours I've played so far, I've been loving it. Half-Life to this day still feels fresh and exciting to me, nearly as much it used to back in 1999.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

the textures are so high resolution
art style is very good
only problem is that it's half life
and i dun like half life that much

it needs to give me arrows where to go on my hud :'(

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

the textures are so high resolution
art style is very good
only problem is that it's half life
and i dun like half life that much

it needs to give me arrows where to go on my hud :'(

JigglyWiggly_

Teh best part figuring stuffz out like old skool. The guidez @ gamefaqz for desp3rationz.

I can see why nobody writes guides anymore(exaggeration ofc.) since games just holds your hands now, so you never get lost.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46350 Posts

So far I've loved every minute of this mod. Truly a great piece of work by dozens of very ambitious modders.

Teh best part figuring stuffz out like old skool. The guidez @ gamefaqz for desp3rationz.

I can see why nobody writes guides anymore(exaggeration ofc.) since games just holds your hands now, so you never get lost.

Bikouchu35

Now that you mention it. I read lots of walkthroughs for older game a lot... never searched a walkthrough for newer games.

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

I'm quite impressed, it's pretty detailed and it has that oldskool half life feel with eye candy source engine.

But do how do i launch the game? i'm only able to only after install when i'm asked if i want to play, i can't find any shortcuts or .exe, i guess it has to be launched from source sdk but i don't know how.

And to delete it, now that i installed it twice, the only way to do it is by deleting the folder right?

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 NoAssKicker47

I'm quite impressed, it's pretty detailed and it has that oldskool half life feel with eye candy source engine.

But do how do i launch the game? i'm only able to only after install when i'm asked if i want to play, i can't find any shortcuts or .exe, i guess it has to be launched from source sdk but i don't know how.

And to delete it, now that i installed it twice, the only way to do it is by deleting the folder right?

alan_carter
Restart Steam, it should appear in your games list
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

[QUOTE="alan_carter"]

NoAssKicker47

Thank you :)

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#76 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Imvery impressed by this so far, they have so much quality effort into this remake. So far its very professionally done.

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 NoAssKicker47

[QUOTE="NoAssKicker47"][QUOTE="alan_carter"]

alan_carter

Thank you :)

You're welcome
pedrotaquelim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 pedrotaquelim
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

For the ones who didn't download this free game yet.It's a super fast download on The Pirate Bay:

http://thepiratebay.se/search/black%20Mesa/0/99/401

Share it! :-)

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#79 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Downloading right now, can't wait to play this amazing game again...

Now after you finish Xen, remake Opposing Force ? No hurry, take 10 years if you need :D

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

So great to see people doing projects this big for free, I hope the people who made this get to work with Valve in the future as they clearly have a passion for Half Life.V4LENT1NE
Millions of pc gamers have a passion for Half-life. I am fairly sure that Valve wants people with a vision of new ideas. Not people with the ability to rehash things Valve has already accomplished.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I gave up on it a year ago.... :( Besides, FIFA13 is coming too !!! :) :) :)

You gave up on it, but now you can play it :)
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

This mod is fantastic, there has been alot of love put into it, a very worthy remake. Easily GOTY so far, and worth the wait and hype. Please remake OF! After xen and MP!

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
How much hard disk space is required for Black Mesa? I tried playing the original Half Life a couple of years back and found it to be horribly dated.
WaterSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 WaterSphere
Member since 2012 • 203 Posts
Half Life series is something I just can't get into.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

So great to see people doing projects this big for free, I hope the people who made this get to work with Valve in the future as they clearly have a passion for Half Life.V4LENT1NE
I think one of the biggest disappointments after finishing it, is that they couldn't get more support from Valve for the voice actors of known characters.

That is to say... Well for one: Barney doesn't exist in this game, which I know is a point of contention seeing as how with his addition in HL2 basically ANY of the security guards was Barney, but it would have been nice for there to be a REAL Barney (same say one of them on the tram ride is the real one). And then later when we see Kliener and Eli it would have been nice to have the actual voice actors.

It really is a small thing though, seeing as you only see them for about 5 minutes at the start of the game.

But god damn what a nostalgia trip it was. Moving the crystal into the beam and creating the cascade again. =X

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Playing on hard, it seems far more difficult than I remember the original being on hard. Once We've Got Hostiles starts, the special ops are like double armored cyborg tanks equipped with autoaim sniper canons. Obviously the BM team has spent much of their 8 years trying to outdo Valve in terms of challenge. But I think they went a tad overboard. But everything else they pretty much nailed.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Where do you go after the scientist lets you into the security office to get the gun? I can't seem to find where. Every direction seems to be a dead end, and I can't go back very far because of the broken elevator.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 PetJel
[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]How much hard disk space is required for Black Mesa? I tried playing the original Half Life a couple of years back and found it to be horribly dated.

3.03 gig download 9.35 gig installed. and it hurts me to have someone say HL is dated. :( not sure what age you are but I think it aged decent enough and is still very playable to this day. as long as you play it on a decent resolution.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Where do you go after the scientist lets you into the security office to get the gun? I can't seem to find where. Every direction seems to be a dead end, and I can't go back very far because of the broken elevator.

the_bi99man
you need to spin the 2 valves on the upper level to open a door down below
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
I've played about 2 hrs. So far loving it. Its like a big hit of nostalgia with a twist. Cleverly created new areas, new dialogue. The game looks gorgeous too, considering its running on source.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Playing on hard, it seems far more difficult than I remember the original being on hard. Once We've Got Hostiles starts, the special ops are like double armored cyborg tanks equipped with autoaim sniper canons. Obviously the BM team has spent much of their 8 years trying to outdo Valve in terms of challenge. But I think they went a tad overboard. But everything else they pretty much nailed.

Qixote
They spent much of the 8 years making the maps. If it was truly realistic ai then you'd be right. Damage values and aimbots are the easiest things to program. Surprised theirs not an ini file we can go into to change how much damage the enemies take.
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 NoAssKicker47

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"]So great to see people doing projects this big for free, I hope the people who made this get to work with Valve in the future as they clearly have a passion for Half Life.DigitalExile

I think one of the biggest disappointments after finishing it, is that they couldn't get more support from Valve for the voice actors of known characters.

That is to say... Well for one: Barney doesn't exist in this game, which I know is a point of contention seeing as how with his addition in HL2 basically ANY of the security guards was Barney, but it would have been nice for there to be a REAL Barney (same say one of them on the tram ride is the real one). And then later when we see Kliener and Eli it would have been nice to have the actual voice actors.

It really is a small thing though, seeing as you only see them for about 5 minutes at the start of the game.

But god damn what a nostalgia trip it was. Moving the crystal into the beam and creating the cascade again. =X

You actually see Barney knocking on a door at the very beginning of Half-Life (it's where you get off the train ride in Blue Shift, where you play as Barney. You can actually see Gordon riding his own tram)
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

bonafidetk

you need to spin the 2 valves on the upper level to open a door down below

Aha! Thank you much.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#95 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I like it a lot. Something old and new about it. The game feels a lot easier than I ever remember HL1 being though. Maybe its because I've played it already. A few problems with the music and the voice acting here and there but its a lot better than I thought it would be.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
[QUOTE="PetJel"][QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]How much hard disk space is required for Black Mesa? I tried playing the original Half Life a couple of years back and found it to be horribly dated.

3.03 gig download 9.35 gig installed. and it hurts me to have someone say HL is dated. :( not sure what age you are but I think it aged decent enough and is still very playable to this day. as long as you play it on a decent resolution.

I'm 19 now. What I found funny was that I had no problem playing the original Deus Ex while Half Life was the one I had problems with. I remember playing a demo of Opposing Force when I was around 6 and the game looked pretty decent. The first Half Life kinda put me off; I don't why because I played Xenogears a year back and I had no problems what so ever with it. Thanks for confirming the size. Off to download it :)
EG-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 EG-Mist
Member since 2004 • 66 Posts

well i been there from the start of half life and Valve.. and my god it was good to play it again looking as good as it does now. they skiped levels here and there makeing it a shorter version of hl but everthing that they done is awsome and highlights iconic parts of the games. i allso liked the puzzles they added to the game. i juat wanna see the HL addons recreated now :D.

as a side note they stoped makeing it for co-op becase it was to hard to make the maps and codeing good for it. which is fair anuff but when i played HL! and hl2 i just hosted the sp maps and it mostly worked... yea it was bugy and not made for more than 1 person but it was the biggest laffs i ever had ingame. i think we gone perfection crazy everything gotta be working with no bug... what happened to the fun old days of messing around and doing crazy stuff with bugs :D. Dayz is duged to hell and that is massive.

LookAnDrolL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#100 LookAnDrolL
Member since 2008 • 2483 Posts
What a thrill, nostalgia is killing me