Age of Conan's first siege worldwide - Utter fail.

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 1nverted
Member since 2006 • 1654 Posts

A few good chums decided to test out the much hyped siege feature in Age of Conan yesterday, what amounted was complete and utter fail on Funcoms behalf.

Here is the website with the entire report.

http://www.afraidyet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46178

Here is a teaser:

"To sum it up in a nutshell, until they fix the insane lag with around 90 players on the screen, sieging will be very boring, and no fun at all. I am VERY disappointed. Call me emo, but this is game breaking. This IS the endgame of AoC for most of us, period. I stated a few weeks ago that they had to have this **** fixed by the time battlekeeps went up and its not. Is it even possible for them to tweak the game engine enough to make sieges playable? Got me. I really, really enjoy this game. I'm willing to give it a bit more time because of that. Only time will tell how things will go, but patience is not one of my virtues."

Spread the word.

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
thats actually pretty intresting funcom has alot to do
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

A few good chums decided to test out the much hyped siege feature in Age of Conan yesterday, what amounted was complete and utter fail on Funcoms behalf.

Here is a teaser:

"To sum it up in a nutshell, until they fix the insane lag with around 90 players on the screen, sieging will be very boring, and no fun at all. I am VERY disappointed. Call me emo, but this is game breaking. This IS the endgame of AoC for most of us, period. I stated a few weeks ago that they had to have this **** fixed by the time battlekeeps went up and its not. Is it even possible for them to tweak the game engine enough to make sieges playable? Got me. I really, really enjoy this game. I'm willing to give it a bit more time because of that. Only time will tell how things will go, but patience is not one of my virtues."

Spread the word.

1nverted
funcom better get their act together because gw 2 has sedge world war fare. plus it's free to play and open world.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Heh. Yougamers' review, published last week, destroyed this game.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts
The funny thing is I can run Crysis better than this game. It just shows how badly the developer optimized this game.
ct1615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 ct1615
Member since 2004 • 733 Posts

if you look at the latest reviews for AoC you see them in the 7.5-7.8 range from IGN.com (the top video game site on the web!) and yougamers.com (5+ pages of AoC pros and cons). All the AoC fan boys and hack review sites gave this game 9-10 rating reviews based on 1-2 days of playing through tortage.

I don't fault this so much on the game developers as I do on Funcom sales/marketing that made promises it's developers could never deliver. The game is slight variant to WoW and LOTRO melee. Yes it makes you more involved but it takes away certain freedom's also. Yes the graphics are very good but you need a very good system to see them other wise they fall below LOTRO with a decent rig since AoC does not scale well. Has anyone looked at AoC graphics with the shader turned from 3.0 to 2.0? Try it, you will see a new level of cartoony graphics beyond that of WoW.

And all you AoC fan boys with your pitch forks, I gave AoC a 8.0 rating (frankly the most accurate rating on gamespot for AoC!) and a higher rating then most current professional reviews. I've played four toons so far (more then 40 hours) and have enjoyed certain parts of the game. It's a good game and so enjoy it but it's not perfect, so stop waving your perfect flag for it.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blackdreamhunk

Baranga

I'm playing it right now, it's pretty fun there is bugs they need to get rid of. Other than it's fun but i'm only level 44 right yet to get into the end game. It seem as if there is stuff unfinshed in the game and bugs alot of them. However the game play is fun and the graphics amazing. i would notsay as good as guild wars for graphics but still good. I feel that the game could have use 2 to 3 weeks of killing bugs. they should have had a open beta before the lunched the game. like for exmaple guild wars

that being said there are wow players that don't want the game to successful. There is even talk that blizzard is paying people to trash aoc.

yea I have to agree there are things that funcon didn't deliver in their game.

ct1615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ct1615

Baranga

it didn't destroy it as much as it stated, this is what you promised and then this is what you delivered.

I thought yougamers did an excellent job pointing out all the pros and cons for the game. I see two issues with this game and none are the developers faults, who created a very nice game.

1. Funcom - made all these "new & innovative" promises to previewers, it seems like they never even saw the game being developed themselves since it lacked many of the promises

2. the players - for months they have been screaming that it will be better then WoW, either because of WoW boredom and/or jealousy. Why would you compare a brand new MMO to the current champ? LOTRO fans never stooped to such tactics.

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 1nverted

Yes, the core game is fun, however the more you get into the game (50+), that is when you start seeing the cracks start to open. I'm almost completely out of quests at 53, I have no idea how I'm going to get to 60. The only 6man dungeon in my level range (Tombs) is completely bugged to hell and everyone knows, so people don't even bother to group for it.

I've heard that it only gets worse, to the point where leveling = finding a group and griding mobs over and over again, and it's apparent that the endgame is complete yet, so it's becoming worse and worse each time I log in.

In all seriousness, you need to hold off from buying this game for atleast 6months, hopefully a small portion of what they promised would be in at release is complete by then.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blackdreamhunk
another thing personaly feel is you cannot even be black guy for a fighter. it has major lack of charactor creator system. it's not as good as city of heros. mages feels like it was left out and they focused only on fighter class.
ct1615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ct1615

Yes, the core game is fun, however the more you get into the game (50+), that is when you start seeing the cracks start to open. I'm almost completely out of quests at 53, I have no idea how I'm going to get to 60. The only 6man dungeon in my level range (Tombs) is completely bugged to hell and everyone knows, so people don't even bother to group for it.

I've heard that it only gets worse, to the point where leveling = finding a group and griding mobs over and over again, and it's apparent that the endgame is complete yet, so it's becoming worse and worse each time I log in.

In all seriousness, you need to hold off from buying this game for atleast 6months, hopefully a small portion of what they promised would be in at release is complete by then.

1nverted

you can tell this was a business decision to release the game with all these known bugs. I wonder how many monthly subscribers Funcom will hold onto?

everyone agrees the game needs 6 more months of development but in that time frame, warhammer, LOTRO and WoW expansion get released.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blackdreamhunk
[QUOTE="1nverted"]

ct1615

you can tell this was a business decision to release the game with all these known bugs. I wonder how many monthly subscribers Funcom will hold onto?

everyone agrees the game needs 6 more months of development but in that time frame, warhammer, LOTRO and WoW expansion get released.

every mmorpg has had problems when lunched at first , I am going to give them a break. I'm going to play for 6 months see what happens. However i can't see begining number 1 as it is right now with all the bugs.
Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts

I stopped playing. As people have said above once you get past 50-60 its a grind to even get to the next level. A lot of the dungeons are buggy, and the game gets very boring later.

Sad it went that way...

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 1nverted
[QUOTE="1nverted"]

ct1615

Exactly,

Funcom shot themselves in the foot by releasing the game in the shape that it's in. You cannot expect your community to stay faithful when you're stil, fumbling around trying fix basic things that should have been completed long before launch (I mean, before last week, stats didn't even work o.o). Warhammer is yet to prove anything, although if they manage to deliver their PvP system then that is where the AoC pvp community will flock to, if only for a month, it will hurt Funcom.

Not to mention that they have EA backing them, WAR is going to get advertised to hell and back, something which AoC failed to do. Then you have LOTRO, not the greatest PvP game in the world, but it's got PvE covered and it's very stable, plus it has working DX10, player housing etc etc.

Last but not least, the juggernaut. Their is no telling what affect this will have on AoC's player base, it won't be positive though, as Blizzard is known for delivering very high quality and thoroughly tested content, on top of an already stable groundwork.

Funcom and AoC have a very rough future ahead, they need to get their act together and start releasing content, by the bucketloads.

zopcet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zopcet
Member since 2008 • 106 Posts
[QUOTE="ct1615"][QUOTE="1nverted"]

blackdreamhunk

every mmorpg has had problems when lunched at first , I am going to give them a break. I'm going to play for 6 months see what happens. However i can't see begining number 1 as it is right now with all the bugs.

There is no way they are going to improve FPS on a high end rig that got 3 FPS on high and low settings much at all. Maybe they might take it to 8 FPS...or maybe 10.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blackdreamhunk
[QUOTE="ct1615"][QUOTE="1nverted"]

1nverted

Exactly,

Funcom shot themselves in the foot by releasing the game in the shape that it's in. You cannot expect your community to stay faithful when you're stil, fumbling around trying fix basic things that should have been completed long before launch (I mean, before last week, stats didn't even work o.o). Warhammer is yet to prove anything, although if they manage to deliver their PvP system then that is where the AoC pvp community will flock to, if only for a month, it will hurt Funcom.

Not to mention that they have EA backing them, WAR is going to get advertised to hell and back, something which AoC failed to do. Then you have LOTRO, not the greatest PvP game in the world, but it's got PvE covered and it's very stable, plus it has working DX10, player housing etc etc.

Last but not least, the juggernaut. Their is no telling what affect this will have on AoC's player base, it won't be positive though, as Blizzard is known for delivering very high quality and thoroughly tested content, on top of an already stable groundwork.

Funcom and AoC have a very rough future ahead, they need to get their act together and start releasing content, by the bucketloads.

the dumbest thing they did was not to have open beta you need open beta for any mmo best your beta tester are not going to get everything.

they should what anet does have open beta first.

Avatar image for deactivated-60f7582dcaa79
deactivated-60f7582dcaa79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-60f7582dcaa79
Member since 2004 • 510 Posts
I called AoC Being a huge flop and epic fail months ago and only recieved hate for it. The truth about this game is starting to shine through. Anyone that still has high hopes for this game better hope that Funcom can release the FULL RETAIL v1.0 patch before the subscribers fall to low.
ShaizanHgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShaizanHgh
Member since 2006 • 1022 Posts

Why is it everytime a new MMO comes out that is not WoW, all the chicken little's swamp the forums?

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 1nverted

I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

If you're one of the people who are fine with companies releasing unfinished MMO's, then you are the reason why MMO's continue to be released like this.

"Every MMO is like this at launch" - This comment is widely used to oppose those who complain about paying for an unfinished product. If you continue to think like that then companies like Funcom will continue to walk all over you.

The nextgen MMO won't have flashy graphics or interesting new gameplay, it will be a complete package, from creation to endgame.

If you're happy to be bent over like this, then you're essentially holding back the genre.

ShaizanHgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ShaizanHgh
By all means name one MMO that was complete at release. How about non-mmo PC games that didnt need to patched?
1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 1nverted

By all means name one MMO that was complete at release. How about non-mmo PC games that didnt need to patched?ShaizanHgh

That's the whole point.

ShaizanHgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ShaizanHgh

So, what is your solution? Stop playing games altogether? Wait till the game is bug free?

Yes, it is a problem, but how do you remedy the situation?

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 1nverted

So, what is your solution? Stop playing games altogether? Wait till the game is bug free?

Yes, it is a problem, but how do you remedy the situation?

ShaizanHgh

Probably to stop supporting unfinished products. It won't be just me though, I can assure you, people will know what is finished and what isn't.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blackdreamhunk

Why is it everytime a new MMO comes out that is not WoW, all the chicken little's swamp the forums?

ShaizanHgh

there are players don't want age of conan to be successful

also there is people being paid so i hear from billzzard to under mind other mmorpg's by going on their fourms and discreated them or trying to inflence them in some way from making a good mmorpg.

ShaizanHgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShaizanHgh

But we just came to the conclusion that no MMO has been released finished. If people would of quit playing WoW at the start do to all the bugs and wait time to access your character on a server, would it be as big of a game as it is today? Probally not.

People will know what is finished? This is somewhat an ambiguous answer, considering people's definition of finished is as varied as each individuals computer configuration.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blackdreamhunk

But we just came to the conclusion that no MMO has been released finished. If people would of quit playing WoW at the start do to all the bugs and wait time to access your character on a server, would it be as big of a game as it is today? Probally not.

People will know what is finished? This is somewhat an ambiguous answer, considering people's definition of finished is as varied as each individuals computer configuration.

ShaizanHgh
well i am going to stick around playing the for another 6 months before i quit on it. However that being said there is alot of other mmorpg's coming too. So therei s presure for funcom to preform and that fact they didn't deliver on alot of promiseis. In the mean time I am enjoying the game.
1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 1nverted

ShaizanHgh

It's basically like this.

Companies come out, announce their new MMO, develop continues, we get to preview all these great features and what-not, the hype train begins to roll. Release day comes around, the game turns out to be a buggy mess, features are incomplete, some don't exist at all.

People pay, people complain, people quit. Company profits off of people who buy their incomplete product and continue to profit off of the subscriptions of players who are convincing themselves to continue playing, missing content and features are promised in the form of future updates and patches, players wait, players wait for things that should have been in release, players wait.

It doesn't have to be like this.

ShaizanHgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ShaizanHgh

Then you need to stop gaming altogether on the PC. Maybe try out the PS3, Wii or Xbox360, I hear games for those systems come out relatively bug free.

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 1nverted

Then you need to stop gaming altogether on the PC. Maybe try out the PS3, Wii or Xbox360, I hear games for those systems come out relatively bug free.

ShaizanHgh

Ok well, I know where you stand on this issue, that's fine, move along.

ShaizanHgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShaizanHgh
Well Im glad you know where I stand. Im still trying to figure yours out. No offence, I just dont understand how you say not to play games that are unfinished, but due to the nature of PC gaming, almost all games are released unfinished. Maybe if you could expand on this contradiction a bit further.
Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts
[QUOTE="ShaizanHgh"]

blackdreamhunk

there are players don't want age of conan to be successful

also there is people being paid so i hear from billzzard to under mind other mmorpg's by going on their fourms and discreated them or trying to inflence them in some way from making a good mmorpg.

Wow it's sad people have to stoop to that level to discredit people who dislike the game and/or want changes to it...

Releases are always bumpy yet AoC is starting to falter where other MMOs shine...the late game...they need to start adding content as soon as they can.

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 1nverted

Well Im glad you know where I stand. Im still trying to figure yours out. No offence, I just dont understand how you say not to play games that are unfinished, but due to the nature of PC gaming, almost all games are released unfinished. Maybe if you could expand on this contradiction a bit further.ShaizanHgh

I'm not reffering to non MMO games. They are only a 1 off payment, you're not paying $15 a month for them.

Look, if you're fine with paying developers to play catch up, then we can't see eye to eye, so I don't see why I need to explain my point further.

ShaizanHgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShaizanHgh

I could see this argument being valid if you were paying $15 a month and the servers were down all the time, meaning you cannot access the game. However that is not the case.

And If someone is one of those power gamers and is already at lv 80, then what more can you expect from a new game? Until there is a game that comes out perfect, from start to finish, your hopes will remain high.

ct1615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ct1615
[

blackdreamhunk

im sorry but that may be one of the silliest things I have ever read on these boards.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
They knew that their endgame content was fleshed out enough. Edios pushed AoC out the door a bit to soon.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blackdreamhunk
[QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"][

ct1615

im sorry but that may be one of the silliest things I have ever read on these boards.

that is what alot o f mmorpg gamers are talking about. where there is big money I would say anything is possible. Don't beleave me check out some of the fourms!!!
quocthai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 quocthai
Member since 2005 • 1995 Posts
wow, how did these players get to the top level so fast. i played an mmo once(couldn't remember the name0 and it took me months just to get to level 30 ish, then I quit
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#38 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Funcom has been doing a great job of patching AOC so far, im sure they will have the Seige Battles worked out, as they have worked out the other problems in the game very fast. The game has been a very good experience for me so far, and if Funcom can keep updating the game like they have, ill be a player on AOC for along time to come.

Every MMO that has ever been released has had some problems at launch, this one is no differnt.

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
The seige thing is really disappointing and Funcom HAS to respond/do something about this ASAP. But for those of you talkinga bout quests, I'm 74 and my quest journal is full of yellow-red quests. Every so often you will run out though.
Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts
[QUOTE="ct1615"][QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"][

blackdreamhunk

that is what alot o f mmorpg gamers are talking about. where there is big money I would say anything is possible. Don't beleave me check out some of the fourms!!!

Well in the end videogames is business and business is war,in war everything is allowed.It's a common tactic between rival restaurants for example sending people"of their own" to each other acting as costumers and complaining about varius stuff.It could be a similar case here and its much easier,you just tell 20-30 people to start making threads that will harm the other companys products.I'm not telling that blizzard(or funcom) or other companies do that(well some of them surely do) but it's a really easy way to harm the opponent.And some will say"well ok the people that visit the forums are few compared to the whole community of the gamers".Yeah but it's like a domino effect.Someone sees the thread and tells a friend of his,then the friend tells someone else etc.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blackdreamhunk
[QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"][QUOTE="ct1615"][QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"][

Hate_Squad

Well in the end videogames is business and business is war,in war everything is allowed.It's a common tactic between rival restaurants for example sending people"of their own" to each other acting as costumers and complaining about varius stuff.It could be a similar case here and its much easier,you just tell 20-30 people to start making threads that will harm the other companys products.I'm not telling that blizzard(or funcom) or other companies do that(well some of them surely do) but it's a really easy way to harm the opponent.And some will say"well ok the people that visit the forums are few compared to the whole community of the gamers".Yeah but it's like a domino effect.Someone sees the thread and tells a friend of his,then the friend tells someone else etc.

yea but also hurts the relationship between players and game devs. there are alot of players who help game devs like me because they love their game so much. I get paid by seeing the game do well and the fact game devs take some my ideas seorusly.

That is one bussiness model big companies should drop because mmorpg will not adanvce. I mean it's now that game devs are starting to listen to their fans on fourms.

lime05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lime05
Member since 2005 • 98 Posts

Too ambitious for FUNCOM...... they should have stuck to what they do best.

The licence itself *CONAN? i mean come on!, what a dorky ass concept!

I new this was a trainwreck from sqaure one.

It does not have the intrinsic mass appeal, nor is Funcom capable of structuring a solid MMORPG.

This game is best left for those with much greater experience within this genre..

AND ALL THIS TIME! THEY COULD HAVE PRODUCED A DREAMFALL TRILOGY !

Such a shame!.

phatrawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 phatrawk
Member since 2003 • 187 Posts

I have to agree with the other poster than future MMOs need to be more polished at launch. The only reason WoW was my first MMO was because reviewers hardly mentioned bugs, which were always brought up in reviews for other MMOs. Well, WoW did have a ton of bugs at launch, so I unsubscribed until it got into better shape.

It's one thing to pay $50 for a buggy game, and have it patched later. It's another story entirely to pay $50 for a buggy game, then $15 per month for the next year until it is stabilized. Unfortunately, hard-core MMO'ers have accepted this, and the rest of us (literaly) have to pay for making the devs think it's OK (or the norm). I don't care if MMOs cost a lot to develop or to run, because as Blizz showed, you can reap ungodly rewards ($$$) if you do it right.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#44 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Here is a teaser:

Spread the word.

1nverted

Having 90 players on the same screen will cause lag on anyones computer. This isnt really Funcoms fault, its just technical hardware limitations that is causing the low frame rate. Funcom would have to decide to limit the number of players on a siege so they can keep the frames at a higher level.

luin_gunners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 luin_gunners
Member since 2004 • 4038 Posts

Abit unfair writing off a game just because its first siege thingy is a bad exerience.

AND ALL THIS TIME! THEY COULD HAVE PRODUCED A DREAMFALL TRILOGY !

Such a shame!.

lime05
I agree.
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts
[QUOTE="1nverted"]

Here is a teaser:

Spread the word.

Jd1680a

Having 90 players on the same screen will cause lag on anyones computer. This isnt really Funcoms fault, its just technical hardware limitations that is causing the low frame rate. Funcom would have to decide to limit the number of players on a siege so they can keep the frames at a higher level.

It wasn't 90 players on the same screen but in the same instance, if Funcom new that it was not technically feasible then they should not have put it in, it is entirely their fault. A huge selling point of the game was large scale siege warfare but if they scale it down than it would be far less than they promised. Anyways you can't argue that AoC is well optimized.

scorched1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 scorched1992
Member since 2006 • 324 Posts
That was the main interest I had for this game. I wasn't planing on buying it but now finding out that the most interesting part of the game has some bugs I definately won't pick it up til it's fixed.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Its an MMO, none hit the ground running.

Give it time, like any MMO, and pray funcom dont do a Star Wars Galaxy.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
After seeing SS and hearing info about this game, it looks very unfinished, I will stick with WOW, because by the looks of it this was a lot of hype that delieved cool stuff but just couldnt do the basics. Look at the screens what is that raid UI? Looks fricken awful.
ShaizanHgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ShaizanHgh

Look at the screens what is that raid UI? Looks fricken awful.V4LENT1NE

You ever see WoW's Orig raid UI, Freakn awful. Good thing someone came along and made a new UI for the game.