why many people are becoming atheists nowadays ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Example U.S ( religiosity is on decline in U.S while atheism is on the rise ). Why are people losing faith in god/religion ?

Whats your opinion OT?  

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts
it's the trendy thing to do.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I've always been an atheist.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 indzman

Michael0134567

reason ? :|

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

indzman

Just because?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 indzman

[QUOTE="indzman"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Michael0134567

Just because?

explain ...

Avatar image for PelicanRebelLdr
PelicanRebelLdr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 PelicanRebelLdr
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts

I find that they become atheist because it's cool and that they are closed minded. [spoiler] just like many religious people are as well [/spoiler]

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]

indzman

Just because?

explain ...

I just don't believe in any of that stuff.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 indzman

[QUOTE="indzman"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Just because?

Michael0134567

explain ...

i see :roll:

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
Because our lives don't revolve around a 3,000 year old book of fiction.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]

explain ...

indzman

What's the problem?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 indzman

[QUOTE="indzman"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Michael0134567

What's the problem?

no problem ;)

British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts
it's the trendy thing to do.comp_atkins
That, plus logic, lack of evidence of God, the observations of the misguided, etc. Standard nonsense. It's easy to go through life with a firm conviction of the lack of anything other than randomness until you've met that great white light of Love yourself.
krazykarl0419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 krazykarl0419
Member since 2004 • 4057 Posts
There have always been atheists and there always will be. It may just seem like it's on the rise because people aren't as afraid to express this view than they may have been centuries ago - blasphemy would have led to much more persecution than you'll see these days. I wouldn't call it a trend either. As the vast field of science evolves, so do people's beliefs. People tend to want to believe in their senses, so many run with that and completely discredit what they can't sense.
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
New Atheism is a fad thats coming to an end but also been exposed as actually hateful. I think more people are irreligious.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]

explain ...

indzman

GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GulliversTravel

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]

indzman

What's the problem?

no problem ;)

It seems you still have some issues with his belief, but yeah 5 years ago you wouldve been called all sorts of names because you disagree.
British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 British_Azimio
[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"]New Atheism is a fad thats coming to an end but also been exposed as actually hateful. I think more people are irreligious.

What's hard for me to wrap my head around is the many people I'll see on Yahoo Answers whose profile literally has pages upon pages and pages of non-stop high-velocity ****head ray-gun blasting at any and all things religion in the Religion & Spirituality section. I mean, Jesus, look at what they do with their spare time. No wonder they're a bit confused about God.
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GulliversTravel
[QUOTE="British_Azimio"][QUOTE="GulliversTravel"]New Atheism is a fad thats coming to an end but also been exposed as actually hateful. I think more people are irreligious.

What's hard for me to wrap my head around is the many people I'll see on Yahoo Answers whose profile literally has pages upon pages and pages of non-stop high-velocity ****head ray-gun blasting at any and all things religion in the Religion & Spirituality section. I mean, Jesus, look at what they do with their spare time. No wonder they're a bit confused about God.

Well Atheism is right and religion is wrong therefore it gives me the right to be arsehole!
British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 British_Azimio
[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"][QUOTE="British_Azimio"][QUOTE="GulliversTravel"]New Atheism is a fad thats coming to an end but also been exposed as actually hateful. I think more people are irreligious.

Well Atheism is right and religion is wrong therefore it gives me the right to be arsehole!

Though, being a bit more serious, the belief or lack of belief in a higher power is far from the biggest problem those type of people have. Excessive bitterness seems to lead to wasting time in such ways.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Because people are finally coming to realize that the black magic known as science is probably a far better thing to believe in than the bylaws of a book written by patriarchical goat hearders in the desert 3300 years ago to consolidate power for themselves, justify their actions (owning slaves, etc), repressing women.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts
One of the reasons it's on the rise in the USA specifically, in my honest view, is simple... it's backlash. Christian Conservatives control the Republican party. The Republicans control the majority of state governments, and they've been shoving their religion of choice on everyone through the law with all the grace of a bull in a china shop. When you push your religion on others in that way, it WILL backfire. Christians keep saying they will be a persecuted minority group one day, I say with the way they are behaving now, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. What comes around, goes around.
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

Because cymicism is cool.

GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GulliversTravel

Though, being a bit more serious, the belief or lack of belief in a higher power is far from the biggest problem those type of people have. Excessive bitterness seems to lead to wasting time in such ways.British_Azimio
I agree with this but the New Atheists tend to hold new-con views which puts them right in line with the Evangelicals, the irony right? For example the issue of Israel or American influence on the Middle-East, because as Hitchens tell us, they are all backward Mooslims remember

One of the reasons it's on the rise in the USA specifically, in my honest view, is simple... it's backlash.  Christian Conservatives control the Republican party.  The Republicans control the majority of state governments, and they've been shoving their religion of choice on everyone through the law with all the grace of a bull in a china shop.  When you push your religion on others in that way, it WILL backfire.  Christians keep saying they will be a persecuted minority group one day, I say with the way they are behaving now, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. What comes around, goes around.Buckhannah
It has back-fired, Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens have constantly derided but worse labelled Muslims especially but before it was seen as simply religious criticism.

However their recent comments are up for far more scrutiny to the the extent that they are now labelled as hate-mongers in the kin of Fox News. Its gone so far that they are now labelled Islamaphobes, a term's use that has been highly controversial as it again goes back to the idea that the hate is only towards the religion.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Michael0134567
Pretty much. Never seen any real reason to pursue religion....
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GulliversTravel

Because people are finally coming to realize that the black magic known as science is probably a far better thing to believe in than the bylaws of a book written by patriarchical goat hearders in the desert 3300 years ago to consolidate power for themselves, justify their actions (owning slaves, etc), repressing women.

Squeets
Yeah brah, we should also stop reading Shakepeare since he talks in metaphors too and liked little boys.
Chicken453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chicken453
Member since 2011 • 2038 Posts
You guys are just catching up with the rest of the world!
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Because science.
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GulliversTravel
Because science.MonsieurX
Yet science was developed majorly in religious circles, bet you didnt know that?
Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Buckhannah
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Because science.GulliversTravel
Yet science was developed majorly in religious circles, bet you didnt know that?

The Christian Dark ages say "hi". We could've been on the moon in the 1800's.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

GulliversTravel

Yeah brah, we should also stop reading Shakepeare since he talks in metaphors too and liked little boys.

Except the bible (read fiction book) isn't speaking in metaphors.  When it says you can own slaves.  You can.  When it says a girl must marry her rapist it means it.  When it says a worker (such as a firefighter or cop for example) should be stoned in the street for working on Sunday, we should drag him out and kill him.  In the old testament anyways; you know before modern Christians changed their imaginary sky being's "eternal and unchanging word" to better conform to modern standards.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Because science.GulliversTravel

And most science was done by people with hair.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I would say it has to do with a lot of things, though mainly the degredation of our traditional values.  Broken homes are on the rise, as is many different relgions (in the US), and a lot of political opinions (gearing more towards the liberal side).

For some it is because science has caused them to lose faith, when really it has little to no effect on the existance of God and such.  For others it is because they grew up in a broken home and such and lost faith. Then there are some who just were not taught about it or taught to hate it.  Once somethign starts, it spreads.  I don't think any religion will ever go away, things will just even out.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

GulliversTravel

Are you really that stupid?

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
It's the internet, and the cool thing to do atm.
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GulliversTravel

The Christian Dark ages say "hi". We could've been on the moon in the 1800's.Buckhannah
Christian Dark ages whilst the rest of the world was speeding ahead?

Except the bible (read fiction book) isn't speaking in metaphors.  When it says you can own slaves.  You can.  When it says a girl must marry her rapist it means it.  When it says a worker (such as a firefighter or cop for example) should be stoned in the street for working on Sunday, we should drag him out and kill him.  In the old testament anyways; you know before modern Christians changed their imaginary sky being's "eternal and unchanging word" to better conform to modern standards.

Squeets

No its literal when you want it to be but not metaphorical either when you dont want it. Problem is it sounds like double standard.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
it's the trendy thing to do.comp_atkins
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Probably because people are more connected these days and have greater exposure to differing viewpoints.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Buckhannah

Probably because people are more connected these days and have greater exposure to differing viewpoints.

Celldrax
Easy access to information is definitely a contribution. The internet is where religion goes to die.
Chicken453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chicken453
Member since 2011 • 2038 Posts

Celldrax
One of the few good answers in this thread.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Because in general, people today feel like they're more capable of questioning their religious faith (if they belonged to a religion in the first place).
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

Everyday we learn more about the universe, so every day religion seems more incorrect.

I'm agnostic personally.

GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GulliversTravel
[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

Buckhannah
Easy access to information is definitely a contribution. The internet is where religion goes to die.

About Christian Dark Age...
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Most likely it's related to the amount of knowledge humans have at their disposal. The more you are educated the greater chance you stop being religious...at least as far as dogma and stuff is concerned. Never in history have humans been so connected and have so much information and different viewpoints available. I personally feel this is not a fad at all, and literally is the decline of religion in the west.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I believe that science is more helpful towards the betterment of humanity and the world than mass religion is.
Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Buckhannah
Because in general, people today feel like they're more capable of questioning their religious faith (if they belonged to a religion in the first place).ghoklebutter
Well those of us raised in it are taught at an impressionable age by people we trust that if we question it we'll be burned forever. It's a hard thing to overcome, I didn't feel safe questioning my faith until I was in my mid twenties. A lot more of us are getting to that age and getting that information that helps us overcome that fear, also contributing to the rise in recent years. The threats of violence just don't keep people in line indefinitely as they used to do.
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GulliversTravel
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Most likely it's related to the amount of knowledge humans have at their disposal. The more you are educated the greater chance you stop being religious...at least as far as dogma and stuff is concerned. Never in history have humans been so connected and have so much information and different viewpoints available. I personally feel this is not a fad at all, and literally is the decline of religion in the west.

Its also a place where repeating soundbites speaks louder than a thought-filled discussion.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]Most likely it's related to the amount of knowledge humans have at their disposal. The more you are educated the greater chance you stop being religious...at least as far as dogma and stuff is concerned. Never in history have humans been so connected and have so much information and different viewpoints available. I personally feel this is not a fad at all, and literally is the decline of religion in the west.

Its also a place where repeating soundbites speaks louder than a thought-filled discussion.

Depends on who's listening.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I refuse to think its because there are more free thinkers today. I think its more of an apathy of older generations not forcing religion on there kids.