why many people are becoming atheists nowadays ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by wis3boi (31003 posts) -

The internet, hipsters, New Atheism.

Don't necessarily have a problem with people being irreligious as long as they don't follow the hatred and bigoted variant espoused by idiots like Richard Dawkins

kingkong0124

"I don't understand the points, therefore he's an idiot"

#102 Posted by metroidprime55 (17657 posts) -

Because more people are starting to question the Bible, it's legal to do that now you know. And what with science uncovering the truth and with religion starting to look like utter insanity the more you think about it it's become a much less favorable concept than it was before.

I'd just like to add that the main reason I'm an atheist is because I was never indoctrinated.  After my father died when I was six he had us go to church because before his death he turned to Christianity.  I went there and absolutly hated it, it made me afraid of there being somebody in the sky who would hurt me if I did something wrong and I came to the conclusion that even if there was someone up there I didn't even want to follow him if he would so readily hurt me for doing something wrong.  Over time I've come to consider myself a full on atheist and I feel more comfort than I did when I was put into the Chirstian faith, there's less paranoia.

#103 Posted by zenogandia (912 posts) -

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

Don't necessarily have a problem with people being irreligious as long as they don't follow the hatred and bigoted variant espoused by idiots like Richard Dawkins

wis3boi

"I don't understand the points, therefore he's an idiot"

Of course King kong wouldn't understand his points. :roll:

#104 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

It's fashionable.

#105 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -

knee jerk over reaction to finding out their holy text is not special? so they go full re tar d, you never go full.....

#106 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7719 posts) -
Information age, god of the gaps is growing a bit smaller.
#107 Posted by wis3boi (31003 posts) -

Information age, god of the gaps is growing a bit smaller. HoolaHoopMan

If we talk about a theistic god, I'd say that gap has long been closed entirely :P

#108 Posted by Aljosa23 (24525 posts) -

Who knows. Giving a sh1t about being an Atheist is lame.

#109 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Also, I think the decline of "family" plays into it.

#110 Posted by Diablo-B (4021 posts) -
Education
#111 Posted by wis3boi (31003 posts) -

shellcase86

:lol:

#112 Posted by GrayF0X786 (3826 posts) -

[QUOTE="shellcase86"]

wis3boi

you're one sad empty shell :(

#113 Posted by starfox15 (3966 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="shellcase86"]

GrayF0X786

you're one sad empty shell :(

And you put waaaay too much emphasis on family.  

And define the decline of "family" and how that plays into anything. 

#114 Posted by Aljosa23 (24525 posts) -

shellcase86

This makes no sense. An actual "family" would accept and love you regardless of trivial things like religion.

#115 Posted by Jebus213 (8716 posts) -

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]it's the trendy thing to do.Starchaser187

The only people who think that are religious. If not, then you're an idiot.

#116 Posted by MrGeezer (56018 posts) -

Want to know how bad the backlash against athiest is around here? Here's two of many stories I could post:

"In God We Trust" to be carved above Courthouse entrance

"In God We Trust" to be painted onto firehouse

Those are both in the same county I live in, and their is a movement to get it added to ALL government buildings in the county.

Yeah...buildings that have stood for generations and functioned just fine without it. So what's changed?

If that isn't 'pushing your beliefs on others', then please tell me what is.

br0kenrabbit
I'm assuming that your issue with this is from a constitutional point of view, because otherwise I can't see how this is even a problem. So that's two instances that you've brought up. Great. Doesn't indicate that this is a big problem in the south. And seeing as my involvement in this thread was to take issue with Wiseboi's suggestion that atheists in the south are constantly being oppressed, my point still stands. This kind of stuff doesn't happen far more often than it does happen. And these incidents you've brought up don't even directly have a negative effect on atheists. Certainly a far cry from the idea that if you're an atheist in the south that you're gonna get beaten or fired.
#117 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Because society is secularized and allows for anyone to explore a vast amount of ideas and data from various cultures via the internet. Atheism is the natural endpoint of a scientific, secular society.
#118 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23410 posts) -

there are no more or less atheists than there ever was you just don't get burned at the stake for questioning the wisdom of believing an old white guy made the entire universe out of magic.

you do still get ostracized by society though so keep that shyt on the down low around your business concerns.

also just to be nice, just lie to your parents because they will prolly cry.

#119 Posted by MrGeezer (56018 posts) -

there are no more or less atheists than there ever was you just don't get burned at the stake for questioning the wisdom of believing an old white guy made the entire universe out of magic.

you do still get ostracized by society though so keep that shyt on the down low around your business concerns.

also just to be nice, just lie to your parents because they will prolly cry.

Riverwolf007
Regardless of what one's religious beliefs are, it's usually a good idea to keep that out of work anyway. Same with politics, or anything else controversial or divisive. That's obviously not the case if such topics are directly relevant to one's job, but otherwise leave it at home.
#120 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17379 posts) -
We've learned so much about the universe in the past few centuries (especially since Darwin) that religion has just sort of started to wither away. The rabbit hole goes much deeper, there's still plenty of other dogmas that people (including many atheists) still try to cling to, but religion was and still is the biggest elephant in the room.
#121 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12766 posts) -

I'm assuming that your issue with this is from a constitutional point of view, because otherwise I can't see how this is even a problem. So that's two instances that you've brought up. Great. Doesn't indicate that this is a big problem in the south. And seeing as my involvement in this thread was to take issue with Wiseboi's suggestion that atheists in the south are constantly being oppressed, my point still stands. This kind of stuff doesn't happen far more often than it does happen. And these incidents you've brought up don't even directly have a negative effect on atheists. Certainly a far cry from the idea that if you're an atheist in the south that you're gonna get beaten or fired.MrGeezer

If you lived here, you'd understand. There's a massive push against anything that contests religion in any way, form or fashion. Although they keep getting dragged to court, you'll still hear a Christian prayer at every football game, public meeting or assembly. And it wasn't like this until Obama took office (don't ask me what the connection is).

After Obama was elected, all the WASPs around here have been going apeshit. Like I said before, I dare you to park your car overnight anywhere in this town if you have one of those Darwin Fish bumper stickers.

#122 Posted by sonicare (53448 posts) -

Example U.S ( religiosity is on decline in U.S while atheism is on the rise ). Why are people losing faith in god/religion ?

Whats your opinion OT?  

indzman
Because people think more critically these days. Faith is basically accepting something with absolutely no proof. Some look at that as a commendable quality, but others would think of that as being deluded or insane.
#123 Posted by MrGeezer (56018 posts) -

If you lived here, you'd understand. There's a massive push against anything that contests religion in any way, form or fashion. Although they keep getting dragged to court, you'll still hear a Christian prayer at every football game, public meeting or assembly. And it wasn't like this until Obama took office (don't ask me what the connection is).

After Obama was elected, all the WASPs around here have been going apeshit. Like I said before, I dare you to park your car overnight anywhere in this town if you have one of those Darwin Fish bumper stickers.

br0kenrabbit
Okay. Like I said, I wasn't ever trying to suggest that this stuff NEVER happens. I just get the impression that it's greatly overblown. This was, after all, in response to the quote, "And in the south you'd be getting death threats, kicked out of your family, fired, etc." Yeah I'm sure that happens sometimes, but a few anecdotes aren't gonna convince me that it's the norm. And even if it is the norm, I certainly doubt that it's a "southern" thing and is rather more of a "small town" thing.
#124 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12766 posts) -

Okay. Like I said, I wasn't ever trying to suggest that this stuff NEVER happens. I just get the impression that it's greatly overblown. This was, after all, in response to the quote, "And in the south you'd be getting death threats, kicked out of your family, fired, etc." Yeah I'm sure that happens sometimes, but a few anecdotes aren't gonna convince me that it's the norm. And even if it is the norm, I certainly doubt that it's a "southern" thing and is rather more of a "small town" thing. MrGeezer

There are lots of small towns in the south, and many of them are indeed quite backwards socially. Having lived here most of my life, I can provide more than just a few stories, but that's not going to change anything.

There's certainly something...off...about much of the south. The metropolitan areas aren't so bad, but most of the south is indeed country-road rural.

#125 Posted by MrGeezer (56018 posts) -

There are lots of small towns in the south, and many of them are indeed quite backwards socially. Having lived here most of my life, I can provide more than just a few stories, but that's not going to change anything.

There's certainly something...off...about much of the south. The metropolitan areas aren't so bad, but most of the south is indeed country-road rural.

br0kenrabbit
Fair enough, even though your experience certainly doesn't match mine. We are both just talking anecdotally though, I'd be interested in seeing some hard data.
#126 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12766 posts) -

Fair enough, even though your experience certainly doesn't match mine. We are both just talking anecdotally though, I'd be interested in seeing some hard data. MrGeezer

Do such studies even exist?

#127 Posted by MrGeezer (56018 posts) -

Do such studies even exist?

br0kenrabbit
Beats me. I sort of doubt it, though. Seems like if anyone wanted to do such a study that it'd be pretty hard to collect accurate data. But if I ever run across any such studies, I'll let you know.
#128 Posted by Buckhannah (293 posts) -
Because in the past if you said you didn't believe in God Christians would stone you. Fightingfan
This is actually a factor as well.
#129 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -
#130 Posted by cfstar (1979 posts) -
it's the trendy thing to do.comp_atkins
Pretty much that. I'm an atheist myself, but many comments I've seen have made it pretty clear that people are choosing to be that because they believe it makes them cool. They have absolutely no idea of what they're talking but well, that's today's society for you.
#131 Posted by fueled-system (6246 posts) -
They see the intolerance some people have against others. Great example with Jason Collins coming out saying he was gay(nba player) and alot of people have been bashing him for it. Proud to be a Catholic but I wont force my views on you
#132 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
Because it's hipster, cool, and its great to be cynical.
#133 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

kingkong0124
Richard Dawkins is an incredibly smart man
#134 Posted by WSGRandomPerson (13693 posts) -
People aren't believing bullshit anymore?
#135 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3760 posts) -
Our understanding of the world is probably why
#136 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

Mithrandir50

Smart, yes, but his bigoted attack on theism and religion is unfounded, cruel, unnecessary, and completely pointless. Half the stuff he says he says for effect. He wants people to think with an open mind, and then he tells people to 'openly mock religion'. Real classy, Mr. Dawkins.
#137 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

ShadowsDemon

Smart, yes, but his bigoted attack on theism and religion is unfounded, cruel, unnecessary, and completely pointless. Half the stuff he says he says for effect. He wants people to think with an open mind, and then he tells people to 'openly mock religion'. Real classy, Mr. Dawkins.

Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice
#138 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] Richard Dawkins is an incredibly smart man

Sorry, I don't see how telling people to openly mock religion can be beneficial for anyone. How do people having a religion be intolerable?
#139 Posted by wis3boi (31003 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

ShadowsDemon

your theism has no special place in society.  Don't want it to be criticized? Start bringing evidence to the table besides faith.

#140 Posted by silentobi (1495 posts) -

kingkong0124

wut

#141 Posted by silentobi (1495 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Smart, yes, but his bigoted attack on theism and religion is unfounded, cruel, unnecessary, and completely pointless. Half the stuff he says he says for effect. He wants people to think with an open mind, and then he tells people to 'openly mock religion'. Real classy, Mr. Dawkins.ShadowsDemon

Sorry, I don't see how telling people to openly mock religion can be beneficial for anyone. How do people having a religion be intolerable?

He encourages people to question religon not mock it. Even though its pretty much asking to be mocked. 

#142 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] Tolerance of intolerance is cowardicesilentobi

He encourages people to question religon not mock it. Even though its pretty much asking to be mocked. 

I don't think so/ Sounds like mocking to me.
#143 Posted by wis3boi (31003 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] Tolerance of intolerance is cowardicesilentobi

Another thing to mention is that to many religious people (i've seen it forst hand in my religious afterschool education I went to for 17 years) is that expressing doubt and criticism is the equivelant of directly attacking the beleiver's personality and feelings, and would get you thrown out.  Why? Because they cannot answer the question.

#144 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] Richard Dawkins is an incredibly smart manwis3boi

your theism has no special place in society.  Don't want it to be criticized? Start bringing evidence to the table besides faith.

I didn't ask for a 'special place' (I don't know where you got that from.) I can believe what I want, as can anyone else. I won't mock them. No one needs to be mocked, nor do they have to 'bring evidence to the table'. They don't owe anyone else anything that requires them to bring evidence. Is society a court case to you or something? Seriously. Grow some critical thinking skills and learn to be open minded.
#145 Posted by hippiesanta (9755 posts) -
It's normal for an asian or african to be atheist, just because they are born atheist, but when american do it..... it look sooo fake and trendy
#146 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -
Deism is the way, fuk your atheism v religion threads
#147 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13863 posts) -

Religion is filled with hyprocrites, two-face fanatics who constantly judge people for their imperfections.

Felt like this ever since I was a kid. Never trusted those "brothers" at church. I'm not an athiest though, I have faith but I don't follow some platter made by men. 

#148 Posted by Videodogg (12549 posts) -

Why? Maybe they see all the harm religion and religious belief is causing around the world and decided they don't want to be a part of it. Maybe its just modern families are not encouraging religious beliefs as much anymore and that type of thinking is just slowly dying out. There is so much conflict, hate and baggage that comes with religion that most people are happy to remove it from their lives.

#149 Posted by hippiesanta (9755 posts) -

Religion is filled with hyprocrites, two-face fanatics who constantly judge people for their imperfections.

Gaming-Planet
I agree, but same goes to atheism.... for example some atheist activist individual in this forum... you know who
#150 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
[QUOTE="Gaming-Planet"]

hippiesanta
I agree, but same goes to atheism.... for example some atheist activist individual in this forum... you know who

I'm pretty sure we all know who that is :P