why many people are becoming atheists nowadays ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by valium88 (4455 posts) -
it's the trendy thing to do.comp_atkins
Or maybe the trend of Christianity got a little old, and common sense combined with individuality seems more attractive.
#52 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

To be honest. I wouldn't mind searching for God. I guess I just fear it'll lead to complete disappointment.

#53 Posted by Audacitron (915 posts) -

Because in general, people today feel like they're more capable of questioning their religious faith (if they belonged to a religion in the first place).ghoklebutter

Religion never made sense, but no one dared question it.  Once you expose religion to questions, it just crumbles.  The internet gave us the ability to ask questions anonymously.

After a while it becomes apparent that we've reached a tipping point where there are enough athiests out there that it becomes socially acceptable. 

Scientific literacy is so important nowadays, and to understand the process, you need critical thinking.  Critical thinking destroys religion.

I personally feel this is not a fad at all, and literally is the decline of religion in the west. Renevent42

agreed, but I see no reason for it to remain limited to the west.

#54 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73804 posts) -
I would say it's becoming harder and harder to believe in a god who's letting the world go the way it is. Also, with the advance of science, logic and reason, it's becoing easier to understand things without having to rely on the bible saying, "Well, God just made it."
#55 Posted by Buckhannah (293 posts) -
I would say it's becoming harder and harder to believe in a god who's letting the world go the way it is. Also, with the advance of science, logic and reason, it's becoing easier to understand things without having to rely on the bible saying, "Well, God just made it."JustPlainLucas
The God of the Gaps has never had so small a number of places to hide.
#56 Posted by wis3boi (31292 posts) -

Believing in bronze age myths in 2013 is silly and harmful

#57 Posted by The-Apostle (12187 posts) -
Because there's far too much faith in the government. >_>
#58 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

Believing in bronze age myths in 2013 is silly and harmful

wis3boi
Indeed.
#59 Posted by Jebus213 (8778 posts) -

why many people are becoming atheists nowadays ?

Is it somehow a bad thing that more people are not believing in something that defies logic?

#60 Posted by KHAndAnime (13624 posts) -
Probably has something to do with it getting harder and harder to base your life around dated, fictitious allegories.
#61 Posted by zenogandia (912 posts) -

Atheism will never be a mayority, and I'm okay with that. More people are becoming irreligious which is a great thing. I'd actually prefer secularism and a belief in god, over a religious mayority. 

Also Religion is just meh, now a belief in a deity isn't anything I'm against. If people want to believe in a god or gods, then more power to them. As long as it doesn't become fanatical. 

#62 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

Because there's far too much faith in the government. >_>The-Apostle

I'm not seeing the connection here.

#63 Posted by KHAndAnime (13624 posts) -

Atheism will never be a mayority, and I'm okay with that. More people are becoming irreligious which is a great thing. I'd actually prefer secularism and a belief in god, over a religious mayority. 

Also Religion is just meh, now a belief in a deity isn't anything I'm against. If people want to believe in a god or gods, then more power to them. As long as it doesn't become fanatical. 

zenogandia
Never say never. Give it a century or so, atheism will be significantly more prevalent than it is now.
#64 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31995 posts) -

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I can pretty much say a large part of it is my parents not indoctrinating me by taking me to church/temple/etc, buying me religious texts, and more.  Never been to a church service in my life until I was an adult, and at that point, it was more out of curiosity than anything.

Concerning my "views", I like to consider myself a humanist before I consider myself an atheist; I don't so much doubt God exists, so much as I don't believe he exists lol.  A subtle, pointless difference to some, but to me it is the important difference between being a militant emo atheist douche versus going "meh" and learning to NEVER EVER argue religion with ANYONE in real life.

Seriously, folks, just dont debate religion with people in real life (i.e. in person).  It leads no where good.

Basically, I think humanity is God.  We are awesome.  Barring natural disasters and the natural laws (which I imagine eventual even those we will overcome some day), we are the masters of our reality.

#65 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12927 posts) -

Once upon a time man looked around and realized he didn't have any answers, so he started making assumptions based on his experience: Man builds things and can shape things with his hands...surely everything was shaped by someones hands. Oh yeah, that must mean we were shaped! And, and...man makes clay figures that resemble people even though we lack the ability to animate it with the divine spark...so that must mean someone made us out of clay and zapped us to life!

Now we have science to tell us otherwise. Life likely began as chemicals self-arranging as chemicals do, probably within lipids at first, and later within their own walled structures.

Selection did the rest.

The slow progression of the fossil record (something we can see and examine) is kinda hard to argue with.

#66 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Because it's supposedly "cool" I guess. If asked amongst a group of friends it's a likely feeling to feel awkward if you do believe where others don't. Though that shouldn't be the case. More people in the world believe in God than not.

#67 Posted by junglist101 (5457 posts) -

The internet which makes available opposing views and gives you the freedom to anonymously doubt your beliefs.

/thread

#68 Posted by junglist101 (5457 posts) -

Because it's supposedly "cool" I guess. If asked amongst a group of friends it's a likely feeling to feel awkward if you do believe where others don't. Though that shouldn't be the case. More people in the world believe in God than not.

Venom_Raptor

No.

In most place in the US it's not cool and many people can be ostracized from their community for becoming an atheist.  People are just more vocal about their beliefs online because there aren't really any repercussions when your anonymous.

#69 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

Seriously, folks, just dont debate religion with people in real life (i.e. in person).  It leads no where good.

mrbojangles25

This is, by far, the best advice you can get from a thread like this. Seriously, I also take the humanist route in person and it leads to so many fewer headaches. I did try to do the atheist argument once and the guy I was arguing with looked and sounded like he was going to punch me straight in the face around the end of the exchange. Hell, I even passively mentioned my lack of belief in a deity to one guy when I was in college (the conversation was pretty civil, just kind of steered toward that subject and thought he'd be okay when I told him) and he started to vehemently question and yell at me like I was being interrogated for a murder.

I'm not saying all of them will lose their cool so quick, but man: religious people REALLY, REALLY hate it when you say you don't believe in any deity at all. I usually just say "oh, that's nice" when people mention their faith and ease away from the topic in face-to-face conversations now.

#70 Posted by Starchaser187 (451 posts) -
it's the trendy thing to do.comp_atkins
#71 Posted by KHAndAnime (13624 posts) -
Probably depends where you live as well. In my high school (in Seattle), Republicans and non-agnostics/atheists were picked out. We're a bunch of left atheists over here in Seattle.
#72 Posted by wis3boi (31292 posts) -

Probably depends where you live as well. In my high school (in Seattle), Republicans and non-agnostics/atheists were picked out. We're a bunch of left atheists over here in Seattle.KHAndAnime

And in the south you'd be getting death threats, kicked out of your family, fired, etc.

#73 Posted by starfox15 (3966 posts) -

I couldn't ignore the Catholics total lack of self-control and bigoted viewpoints anymore. Even without the pedophilia, the Catholic faith is, just like most Christian denominations, totally close-minded and bereft of new thoughts and ways of doing things. I disagree too much with it to support it and most religions are just the same song and dance with a different facade. 

#74 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

People can try to peg it on one thing, but the reality is there are probably many different causes.

First and foremost we are more interconnected than ever before, so ideas travel faster and to more people.  Kids and teens in the past might have never really thought about being an atheist, but they read others views online and become interested or persuaded.

Also, the advancing of science means that questions in the past that were simply answered with "God", now have an actual tangible answer.  

Additionally, and this is something that people might not have thought about, is how much more time for questions the average person has today.  I know the past we had great philosophers, but the average person even in ancient Greece or Rome, all the way through the medieval times, and into the colonial period spent a lot of their time just focusing on surviving, getting or growing food, and then going to church.  Now people have all this time during the week to think about differnt things and questions, and quite frankly a lot of their questions can't be answered by religion.

Finally, you might be able to attribute it to a higher quality of life.  When things are bad people need a god or gods the most.   

#75 Posted by MrGeezer (56226 posts) -

And in the south you'd be getting death threats, kicked out of your family, fired, etc.

wis3boi
I live in the south, and people generally don't give a $***. Maybe that's just because people don't know I'm an atheist, but even that just supports my point. The 30 years I've lived here, I can count on one hand the number of times anyone even cared enough to ask me about my religious beliefs.
#76 Posted by junglist101 (5457 posts) -

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Probably depends where you live as well. In my high school (in Seattle), Republicans and non-agnostics/atheists were picked out. We're a bunch of left atheists over here in Seattle.wis3boi

Come on dude.  It's popular, cool and so easy to be an atheist.  Your accepted by everyone and they generally respect your lack of belief.  It's soooo easy I can't believe everyone doesn't just become an atheist just to fit in...

#77 Posted by Master_Live (14423 posts) -

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Because in general, people today feel like they're more capable of questioning their religious faith (if they belonged to a religion in the first place).Audacitron

Religion never made sense, but no one dared question it.  Once you expose religion to questions, it just crumbles.  The internet gave us the ability to ask questions anonymously.

After a while it becomes apparent that we've reached a tipping point where there are enough athiests out there that it becomes socially acceptable. 

Scientific literacy is so important nowadays, and to understand the process, you need critical thinking.  Critical thinking destroys religion.

I personally feel this is not a fad at all, and literally is the decline of religion in the west. Renevent42

agreed, but I see no reason for it to remain limited to the west.

This.
#78 Posted by JohnF111 (14089 posts) -
Education is becoming more widespread, like religion can spread so can reasoning.
#79 Posted by wis3boi (31292 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

MrGeezer

I live in the south, and people generally don't give a $***. Maybe that's just because people don't know I'm an atheist, but even that just supports my point. The 30 years I've lived here, I can count on one hand the number of times anyone even cared enough to ask me about my religious beliefs.

I know too many people who have had instances of what I just listed.  That's great that you personally have no one doing it to you, but it is far from 'rare'

#80 Posted by TheFlush (5539 posts) -

The US is like The Netherlands in the 50's religion wise. Give it time, religion will shrink.

#81 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12927 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

MrGeezer

I live in the south, in a small town, and people generally know I'm non-religious. Most folk don't mind, but there's enough that gives me a hard time over it that it definitely colors my view of the area.

There's whole church congregations that avoid me now because whenever they've tried to proslytize to me I'll argue them into a corner with questions they can't answer but should be able to. I basically make them feel stupid of their own religion, and then laugh in their face about it.

Why? Because it's funny and I hate proselytizing. Keep that shit in your pants.

#82 Posted by MrGeezer (56226 posts) -

I know too many people who have had instances of what I just listed.  That's great that you personally have no one doing it to you, but it is far from 'rare'

wis3boi
We can compare anecdotes all day, but I highly suspect that people getting persecuted for being atheists are still very much in the minority. And obviously, some places are gonna be worse than others. Large cities are probably going to be more tolerant than very small towns where everyone knows each other. But generally speaking, religion is something that just plain doesn't come up that much. Make a list of everyone you interact with in a day. Your family, your friends, the mailman, the people in line in front of you at the grocery store, the bank teller, etc. Most of those people aren't gonna give a $***. Hell, with the number of people a person interacts with on a daily basis, most people don't even have TIME to give a $*** what religion they are.
#83 Posted by wis3boi (31292 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

MrGeezer

We can compare anecdotes all day, but I highly suspect that people getting persecuted for being atheists are still very much in the minority. And obviously, some places are gonna be worse than others. Large cities are probably going to be more tolerant than very small towns where everyone knows each other. But generally speaking, religion is something that just plain doesn't come up that much. Make a list of everyone you interact with in a day. Your family, your friends, the mailman, the people in line in front of you at the grocery store, the bank teller, etc. Most of those people aren't gonna give a $***. Hell, with the number of people a person interacts with on a daily basis, most people don't even have TIME to give a $*** what religion they are.

I live in the least religious area of the US, so I already experience that ;)

#84 Posted by MrGeezer (56226 posts) -

I live in the south, in a small town, and people generally know I'm non-religious. Most folk don't mind, but there's enough that gives me a hard time over it that it definitely colors my view of the area.

There's whole church congregations that avoid me now because whenever they've tried to proslytize to me I'll argue them into a corner with questions they can't answer but should be able to. I basically make them feel stupid of their own religion, and then laugh in their face about it.

br0kenrabbit
Church congregations ignoring you doesn't really seem like they're "giving you a hard time". If anything, wouldn't you want them to ignore you? But yeah...in anything but a small tight knit community, everyone's gonna be pretty much ignoring everyone else regardless. There are only so many people that a person can actually care about.
#85 Posted by junglist101 (5457 posts) -

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

MrGeezer

Church congregations ignoring you doesn't really seem like they're "giving you a hard time". If anything, wouldn't you want them to ignore you? But yeah...in anything but a small tight knit community, everyone's gonna be pretty much ignoring everyone else regardless. There are only so many people that a person can actually care about.

They may not care to bring it up by try telling a religious person your atheist.  By the way you make it sound most religious people have no problem with it, which is not the case.  They may not say anything to you but you can bet your ass there is some judging going on.

#86 Posted by wis3boi (31292 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

junglist101

They may not care to bring it up by try telling a religious person your atheist.  By the way you make it sound most religious people have no problem with it, which is not the case.  They may not say anything to you but you can bet your ass there is some judging going on.

Or when local laws and policies are controlled by such beliefs

#87 Posted by MrGeezer (56226 posts) -
They may not care to bring it up by try telling a religious person your atheist.  By the way you make it sound most religious people have no problem with it, which is not the case.  They may not say anything to you but you can bet your ass there is some judging going on.junglist101
Well see, that's exactly the thing. If they aren't bringing it up, then why would I? It's funny how this works: if a religious person brings up the topic, he's being an ass. He should just mind his own business, stop pushing his beliefs on me. But if I bring up the topic to someone who is religious, then they're a$$holes for "judging me" even if that simply means that they stop paying attention to me? Seems like a pretty ridiculous double standard. Regardless, of course there's "judging" going on. So? Atheists judge religious people just as much. And what's wrong with that? If you don't like a dude for whatever reason, then most people will just only deal with them when absolutely necessary. What, now it's not enough that religious people simply leave atheists alone to live our lives as we see fit, but they're also supposed to like us as well? As long as they aren't bothering me, they can judge me all they want. Who gives a $***?
#88 Posted by comp_atkins (31339 posts) -

Once upon a time man looked around and realized he didn't have any answers, so he started making assumptions based on his experience: Man builds things and can shape things with his hands...surely everything was shaped by someones hands. Oh yeah, that must mean we were shaped! And, and...man makes clay figures that resemble people even though we lack the ability to animate it with the divine spark...so that must mean someone made us out of clay and zapped us to life!

Now we have science to tell us otherwise. Life likely began as chemicals self-arranging as chemicals do, probably within lipids at first, and later within their own walled structures.

Selection did the rest.

The slow progression of the fossil record (something we can see and examine) is kinda hard to argue with.

br0kenrabbit
unless god put all the "evidence" there to trick us...
#89 Posted by PsychoRedFox666 (2081 posts) -

Because some people don't need a book to validate their existence. I grew up in an unreligious household. My family didn't bash religion, in fact they just never talked about it because we had actual important stuff to deal with, like life. So I personally did not jump on some sort of bandwagon. Most people are religious because of the exposure when they are little, you take a small percentage of Atheism then multiply it by them having kids and so on.

#90 Posted by WinsteadVolve (391 posts) -

It's the opinion being shared amongst more people, including I.

#91 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12927 posts) -

Church congregations ignoring you doesn't really seem like they're "giving you a hard time". If anything, wouldn't you want them to ignore you? But yeah...in anything but a small tight knit community, everyone's gonna be pretty much ignoring everyone else regardless. There are only so many people that a person can actually care about.MrGeezer

People giving me a hard time and church congregations ignoring me are two separate things. I've even bumped into 'religious privilege' professionally. There's quite a few business people here who won't consider my contract bids because I'm not a "God-fearing man". lol.

Their loss. I do good work because I work when I want to, not because I have to. All those other guys cut corners to increase their profits as much as possible. Me, I just like getting the job done right...I'm quite okay as far as money goes.

#92 Posted by khatibi22 (7221 posts) -

Superficiality.
They don't want to bother to think deep and look beyond matters.

#93 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
The internet. Hipsters.
#94 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

Superficiality.

khatibi22
lol
#95 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

The internet, hipsters, New Atheism.

Don't necessarily have a problem with people being irreligious as long as they don't follow the hatred and bigoted variant espoused by idiots like Richard Dawkins

#96 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Because in the past if you said you didn't believe in God Christians would stone you.
#97 Posted by trasherhead (3058 posts) -
Because the general population is getting better and better educated and starts to question religion.
#98 Posted by trasherhead (3058 posts) -

The internet, hipsters, New Atheism.

Don't necessarily have a problem with people being irreligious as long as they don't follow the hatred and bigoted variant espoused by idiots like Richard Dawkins

kingkong0124
And why do you have problem with people that do not believe?
#99 Posted by trasherhead (3058 posts) -

Superficiality.

khatibi22
Jupp, you nailed it. Cause Atheists don't look indepth on subjects.
#100 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12927 posts) -

Well see, that's exactly the thing. If they aren't bringing it up, then why would I? MrGeezer

Want to know how bad the backlash against athiest is around here? Here's two of many stories I could post:

"In God We Trust" to be carved above Courthouse entrance

"In God We Trust" to be painted onto firehouse

Those are both in the same county I live in, and their is a movement to get it added to ALL government buildings in the county.

Yeah...buildings that have stood for generations and functioned just fine without it. So what's changed?

If that isn't 'pushing your beliefs on others', then please tell me what is.