Why adblocking is detrimental to the entertainment you love.

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

I wonder how many corporate apologists aren't commenting here.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Adblock saved the Internet. Without its protection and help the entire Internet experience would have been severely undermined and I would go as far as saying that it would have stood in the way of the evolution of the Internet to its current state. I believe Internet ads are that annoying and detrimental yes. They almost rendered the Internet platform unusable and almost made of it one cesspool of scams and viruses.

If Internet contents providers do not want people to use adblock and give them the finger, may be they should rethink their Internet marketing strategies and stop trying to shove shit down users' throats. Internet ads are so ridiculously annoying and intrusive, and they're often pathological too whether in the form of malware, spyware, scams...etc. Internet marketing has been abused so much that I find it quite strange to think that there might still be people out there who would be swayed and persuaded through it. It should have lost its legitimacy and persuasion power along time ago. Meaning, Internet marketers should be giving up on Internet marketing on their own instead of asking people to stop using adblock.

What he said. Ads were pretty damn harless 10 years ago. You kind of even wanted to click on a couple of banners because they actually offered something interesting, like those Opera Mini/Clean Master ads that you see on some free Android apps nowadays. Once they started making sounds, talking, yelling, making some websites nearly unbrowsable and FORCING you to watch videos and crap like that just to get to the content you wanted, it was over. Anyone who offered what Adblock seems to have gotten right before everyone else would have been crowned king/queen of the interwebs forever.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Disagreed. I will not stop using adblock until advertisements stop being ridiculously full of bullshit.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Adblock is one of those things I use every now and then. Not because I don't give a **** about supporting the websites I visit regularly but because of malware. I don't mind a commercial before a Youtube video because that commercial is the reason I'm not paying a monthly feel like I do with Netflix and I paid the $36 it costs to take the ads out of Pandora and get the higher quality streams rather than downloading the app that takes the commercials out but still sticks you with lower quality streams.

To say it is ruining our favorite websites is probably an exaggeration. However, I could totally see certain webpages using it as an excuse to going to a paid model, with them saying advertisers aren't buying ad space anymore because 90% of the users are using Adblock. Of course that brings the question, if Gamespot said either stop using Adblock or they will go to a pay-only service I wonder how many posters here would disable it and how many would say **** it and go to IGN?

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I use the internet as a tool to do the things I wish to do as an individual. If I dont wish to see advertising then it is my right to remove it.

If I like a product I will buy it legally and pay a reasonable price for it. What I wont tolerate is people throwing advertising in my face without my ability to control it. Adblock is fantastic.

The key is creating interesting, engaging and non intrusive advertising rather than shameful banner ads based on your amazon cookies.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Blah blah, I hope everyone doesn't use it. Than they would try to find ways to sneak ads through. Ads are le annoying and le viruses, so yeah.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#57  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@googleandroid said:

If the ads were not so annoying and intrusive, I would have no issue with them. When half of a webpage is ads and there are constant popups to close, it's very annoying. I'll quit using adblock when they make the ads less intrusive.

pretty much this, hell the worst sites are so littered with ads that adblock is the only way to make them functional. I do allow ads on certain domains though such as cracked, thatguywiththeglasses/blip.tv, gamespot, etc.

Same here. I also disable ad-block on CGR and pause it when I watch someone I like on YouTube (eg ProJared)

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

@Kevlar101: I used to not mind ads, when they were on the top, bottom or sides of the page I was visiting. One of the major problems now is that ads are now in the beginning of an old 80s song I want to listen to which has already sold millions back in the day and has no need to make much money now yet still has an ad in front of it because youtube says so. I also mind ads that constantly pop up and install things or attempt to install things such as malware and viruses. If ads would restrict themselves to the way they were in the past, perhaps I'd go back to not using adblock as I used to.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I don't see it as much different than people using DVR and then skipping commercials. It's a catch 22...I don't mind some ads, but others are very intrusive. For example, I watch PPV events on streams and they often have ad windows in the video screen. You can close them, but it's difficult and they often redirect you to sites that end up infecting your machine with Malware. Also, I hate the ads that have audio, particularly when I'm surfing at work.

If it weren't for many of these malicious sides that use advertising to infect your PC, I wouldn't use adBlocker.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

i'm not THAT passionate about my entertainment that i'm willing to subject myself to the onslaught of advertisements to support it. if one show/movie/website doesn't make it because of insufficient revenue brought in via their advertising, meh, i'll find another. one entertainment widget can be replaced with another easily enough.

also

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

I have never clicked or bought a product from ads on the internet so me using adblocker really has no effect.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

I adblock sites that have annoying ads and will continue to do so.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

They should've through about that before they allowed irritating ads on their site. Nobody used it when they had a couple of banners on the side of webpage, Now you have Ads that pop-up on your screen when you enter a site and in some cases even if you browse a site then you're presented with an ad that you need to click away every time. And then you have those that insist on using sounds to draw attention. And as a final little thing, and this is primarily towards Youtube. Commercials on every video, some of which lasts 2 minutes you must watch before you can see something that lasts maybe 45 seconds.

If there is a irritating element and you have the possibility to remove it then people will. The fact so many have done so should tell sites that maybe they ought to find other ways to get revenue or better and less intrusive ways to broadcast ads.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts

I actually sorta agree. I've had this discussion before with my friends. I don't mind most ads. There are some that are crazy but usually not on the sites that I use.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i went without Adblock for years until the beginning of this year.. ill never go back