Why adblocking is detrimental to the entertainment you love.

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

60 million people use Adblock services. I believe that Adblocking is quite selfish. Here is why that is.

As you all know, Ads are how a website or a Network makes money. You may think "Those greedy bastards!" and proceed to start a rebellion against those cash-Nazis via Adblock, to keep those intrusive Ads off of your browser.

Assuming that you visit websites that you love (why wouldn't you?) and use Adblock, then you are pretty much asking for that site to go broke. Imagine this scenario: You watch as a bear rides a unicycle while juggling swords for an hour for your entertainment....but then, you refuse to spend 30 seconds to reward him with a fish. That is basically what you are doing to companies when you use Adblock. They spend their own money to create this content for you, and yet, you refuse to allow Ads to fill up some space so that the company can make that money back to continue creating that content that you claim to love. Viewing an Ad costs you nothing, and the company can still afford to keep producing that content. If everyone stops viewing Ads, then the company will struggle and may go broke.... and you will lose that content.

Hey, Ads are annoying. They are. But, it is necessary if you want the content you love to stay around. It is a sacrifice that you should damn well make. Using Adblock is like viewing your favorite TV shows on an illegal website...you potentially sacrifice the future of the very show you are watching just so that you can watch it for free. How does that even make sense?

Using Adblock is detrimental to everybody. It's detrimental to the companies and networks, and in return, it is detrimental to you.

Come on people. Ads are annoying, but is a lack of Ads really worth possibly having the content you love getting cancelled?

Do you agree? Do you believe that Adblock is detrimental, or do you think it is beneficial? What are your thoughts and views?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

My thoughts are that I will continue to use Ad block. And that is that.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I disagree with your proclamation.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Yes, Ads are annoying, especially the ones that are 30 seconds long and I cant' skip them. Why is that necessary for me to sit through when trying to watch something on YouTube?!

Or, how about the ads that randomly cause my computer to lock up because the sound is jacked on the video that's playing somewhere on the page I'm viewing and I can't scroll to "x" it out?

They can do ads, I have no problem with that. But stop with the annoying fucking video ads with sound and no way to close it out. That shit is really irritating.

GoogleAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 GoogleAndroid
Member since 2013 • 162 Posts

If the ads were not so annoying and intrusive, I would have no issue with them. When half of a webpage is ads and there are constant popups to close, it's very annoying. I'll quit using adblock when they make the ads less intrusive.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

People should recognize how content providers are able to continue to provide content. All this woe is me jazz is such silly nonsense

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@dave123321 said:

People should recognize how content providers are able to continue to provide content. All this woe is me jazz is such silly nonsense

Congratulations on having a high tolerance for annoying, in-your-face garbage ads on the net. I envy you.

Obtrusive ads is the equivalent of being asked constantly by 5 different people at Bed Bath & Beyond if you need help, all within a 5 minute time frame. (And trust me, this happens...quite often actually). Like, I get it, you're trying to be helpful by "selling" your product, but enough is enough. If I want help, I'll ask. Same with ads - if I want to research your product I will. Stop shoving your shit down our throats!

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Do those annoying in your face ads actually even work? I don't see how making annoying ads would do any good for the advertiser. It's kind of like all those watch free movies spams in these forums lately. Do people actually click those? I don't see how they work to get their message across

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Keep making pop-ups and annoying videos and I'll continue to use adblock. Make them something unobtrusive and to the side and I'll continue to allow them; simple as that.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

Web ads do more than just advertise, they also TRACK YOU. They can also install malware without the knowledge of the web site owners on whose site the ad appears, since most sites use some 3rd party for advertising.

Even Google Ads have distributed malware, and unfortunately the only real action Google can take is retroactive. Here's an example as described by a Google AdSense employee:

We recently learned of a malware-infected creative that came from Aggregate Knowledge, a third-party ad network that was certified by Google at the time. As a result, we revoked that network’s certification, and their ads are no longer eligible to appear on any AdSense publisher sites.

Yeah, well...a hell of a lot of good revoking their certification does to everyone already infected.

Sorry, not worth the risk.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@jasean79: I am willing to accept a small personal sacrifice of annoyance to support the things I enjoy

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

Ads never annoyed me, put ads on your website, by all means. What pisses me off is preroll, midroll and intrusive advertising or multiple popups. And of course malware is a concern.

If you're going to try and FORCE me to watch an ad, I will block it if I can. I truly don't mind normal ads.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@dave123321: that's nice. I will block and avoid ads as much as possible.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kevlar101

@dave123321 said:

@jasean79: I am willing to accept a small personal sacrifice of annoyance to support the things I enjoy

Dave, you have sense. You are among the few, it seems.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

YAWN*

I got adblock due to ads becoming pop-ups or those fancy gifs yahoo does or used to, or forcing me watch shit 30-60 sec ad for a video that is shorter then the ad itself or the video i am trying to watch is a ad

They are annoying and that is simple, If there is something out there that can get rid of annoying shit on my screen, I am not going be an idiot and not use it.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I love adblock.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

If ads were less annoying and intrusive to my internet browsing experience, I wouldn't have installed ad block in the first place.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I couldn't care less. I am going to continue using it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#20 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I love adblock.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I use both Adblock and NoScript and often only allow the most basic of functions on the page to make it useable.

Feels good, man.

But in all seriousness, the main reason I (and I'm sure many others as well) have both of these add-ons enabled is to prevent unexpected intrusions from installing malware or some other shit like that.

I might allow for advertisements on trusted sites I use a lot. But apart from that, everything else is gonna stay blocked.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I made topic like this a long time ago when I made my account and response I got from people were:

"I don't care. We know it hurts content creators, but we just don't care. If all the content that was once free is now behind a pay wall in the future, we will deal with it then. It is not an issue now."

Which is the wrong way to deal with most issues. Unless people stop using adblock, the internet in the future will become in two ways

1. The world's governments take 100% full control of the internet, like how it is in China or Russia, so installing adblock becomes illegal. (Highly doubt this though because it's hard)

2. The most possibly outcome is that everything and anything is behind a paywall. So your going to insert your credit card information and have to pay 1 dollar every time you use Google search.

The more people who use adblock, the more likely either one of the futures above will most likely come true.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@dave123321 said:

I am willing to accept a small personal sacrifice of annoyance to support the things I enjoy

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

Theres ways of advertising without being annoying, too many addies are too old in their ways and should just move on to something else so is not to drag everybody else down with em in their uselessness ;p

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

I'd be fine not using it bit it's the minority of ads that ruin it for me and make it unbearable.

I'll open up a few tabs at a time flicking through links and being hit by 5 sites with audio ads on autoplay in one go and you can't seem to find is just unbearable and intrusive never mind when i'm streaming something and a Cillit Bang commercial kicks in randomly right in my episode of The Walking Dead. Seriously **** you Barry Scott.

I used to have adblock turned off for youtube to support the youtubers i like but i don't even watch the ads anyway, if i'm just going to skip them and they don't get paid for that then i might as well just use adblock and save me the hassle.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

The economic argument is silly for the simple reason that people who use adblock aren't likely to be persuaded by ads to purchase the product in the first place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Interesting topic, nicely presented. Ads honeslty scare me because they do read minds. Yes I want a car who told you!? Paranoid...now their is an ad for "new fda approved drug" stop following me illuminati! *puts on tin foil hat* and next ad is for dollar tree aluminum foil --woah

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I will keep using it regardless of the consequences.I don't care whether a site shuts down or not.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

60 million people use Adblock services. I believe that Adblocking is quite selfish. Here is why that is.

As you all know, Ads are how a website or a Network makes money. You may think "Those greedy bastards!" and proceed to start a rebellion against those cash-Nazis via Adblock, to keep those intrusive Ads off of your browser.

Assuming that you visit websites that you love (why wouldn't you?) and use Adblock, then you are pretty much asking for that site to go broke. Imagine this scenario: You watch as a bear rides a unicycle while juggling swords for an hour for your entertainment....but then, you refuse to spend 30 seconds to reward him with a fish. That is basically what you are doing to companies when you use Adblock. They spend their own money to create this content for you, and yet, you refuse to allow Ads to fill up some space so that the company can make that money back to continue creating that content that you claim to love. Viewing an Ad costs you nothing, and the company can still afford to keep producing that content. If everyone stops viewing Ads, then the company will struggle and may go broke.... and you will lose that content.

Hey, Ads are annoying. They are. But, it is necessary if you want the content you love to stay around. It is a sacrifice that you should damn well make. Using Adblock is like viewing your favorite TV shows on an illegal website...you potentially sacrifice the future of the very show you are watching just so that you can watch it for free. How does that even make sense?

Using Adblock is detrimental to everybody. It's detrimental to the companies and networks, and in return, it is detrimental to you.

Come on people. Ads are annoying, but is a lack of Ads really worth possibly having the content you love getting cancelled?

Do you agree? Do you believe that Adblock is detrimental, or do you think it is beneficial? What are your thoughts and views?

Until it becomes illegal, then adblock services are just things that remove an annoyance. If makers of entertainment are getting hurt that badly by legal software that makes entertainment less annoying, then they ought to get with the times and find a method of distribution that doesn't rely on fucking ads. It's not the consumer's job to put up with annoying bullshit because the content providers can't think of a solution. It's the content provider's job to change with the times and adopt a business model that doesn't require being so fucking annoying. They're the ones getting paid good money to find solutions to this kind of shit, I'm just a lazy dumbass sitting in front of a TV. I support content creators by paying the asking price. If the asking price is "nothing", then it's not my freaking job to go out of my way to put up with annoying BS just to support the well-paid people who apparently aren't paid well enough to come up with better solutions.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Adblock saved the Internet. Without its protection and help the entire Internet experience would have been severely undermined and I would go as far as saying that it would have stood in the way of the evolution of the Internet to its current state. I believe Internet ads are that annoying and detrimental yes. They almost rendered the Internet platform unusable and almost made of it one cesspool of scams and viruses.

If Internet contents providers do not want people to use adblock and give them the finger, may be they should rethink their Internet marketing strategies and stop trying to shove shit down users' throats. Internet ads are so ridiculously annoying and intrusive, and they're often pathological too whether in the form of malware, spyware, scams...etc. Internet marketing has been abused so much that I find it quite strange to think that there might still be people out there who would be swayed and persuaded through it. It should have lost its legitimacy and persuasion power along time ago. Meaning, Internet marketers should be giving up on Internet marketing on their own instead of asking people to stop using adblock.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#32 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Why isn't there an option to pay a small fee instead? Calculate how much one user is worth to the website in terms of viewing ads... then they can consider paying to remove the ads. If they don't want to pay, clearly they wouldn't mind if the website went broke.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Bannering is a retarded business model from the past. The sooner companies switch to a more relevant business model, the better. And I'll gladly help by using adblock.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Allow some non-intrusive advertising

I have that checked.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@Master_Live said:

My thoughts are that I will continue to use Ad block. And that is that.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

@googleandroid said:

If the ads were not so annoying and intrusive, I would have no issue with them. When half of a webpage is ads and there are constant popups to close, it's very annoying. I'll quit using adblock when they make the ads less intrusive.

pretty much this, hell the worst sites are so littered with ads that adblock is the only way to make them functional. I do allow ads on certain domains though such as cracked, thatguywiththeglasses/blip.tv, gamespot, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#37 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

If they are so worried about ad revenue they're welcome to do what I've seen some websites do. Upon entering, I get a message saying "Ads help us blablabla. Please disable your pop-up blocker in order to see the site." and I gladly exit the site and go somewhere else...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I will continue to use adblock, anti scripting, anti tracking, etc. to keep my browsing as simple as possible

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#39  Edited By Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

I use to have adblock off for gamespot to support them. then the new site had new kinds of ads that would cause my internet browser to lag. I then turned on adblock on gamespot and i no longer get any kind of lag while browsing through the internet.

I would use the internet without ad block on my smartphone and i could tell you the experience is different. Ads that pop up in your face is so annoying and distracting to my general experience. I dont mind having a banner on top of the page, on the side and in the middle, what i do mind is when the ads are intrusive.

another thing to point out is viruses will come in as cookies from advertisements on websites. these viruses can be anything from malware, to spyware or a trojan virus that will disable everything on your computer and change your proxy to only connect to a server somewhere in the world. there are viruses out there that can record keystrokes on your keyboard and send it a server else where, so people who do online banking is at huge risk. I know people who dont have adblock all tell me the same story, their computer is so bogged down with malware and spyware it literally cause huge performance drop.

so until then my adblock will stay on even for gamespot. sorry gamespot, improve your site to make it a more friendlier place with ads and i would turn my ad block off.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

When ads stop being intrusive, I'll stop using Adblock.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Sorry, but Adblock is a life saver. I remember the dark days of constantly getting an ad before every YouTube video; thanks to my discovery of Adblock, those days have long since passed.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kevlar101

I...I just downloaded AdBlock Plus...

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

See? Isn't it so much better?

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I will never stop ad-blocking. Ads are a security risk. Ads make the internet look hideous. I don't want to watch advertisements because that is not how I make my purchasing decisions.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

Loading Video...
Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kevlar101

@Master_Live: @gamerguru100: I'm noticing a difference, yeah. Most sites are lagging less and loading quicker now.

Of course, GameSpot still lags for some reason though.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Master_Live said:

@Kevlar101 said:

Loading Video...

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Go to game news website to look at game news..not other crap. If they stop with intrusive pop-ups and non related stuff then yea I'll stop using adblock. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I turn AdBlock off on specific sites.

(Gamespot isn't one of them)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#50 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58641 Posts

Most of these companies couldn't give a flying **** about you.

Why should you give a **** about them?