White privilege exists in US ?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

fair, tons of actual racists in the south. But i think its important to make the distinction, as someone in a very progressive state, if white privilege does exist, its fairly minimal in certain areas. But yea southerners are racist as hell, didnt actually know that until xbox live. Which originally i assumed was kids just being little douches, but yea turns out alot of grown ass men hate black people. After enough "but, you are kidding right?"s on xbox live, turns out some white people are actually super racist. As a whitey in a progressive area of the country, never been around racists, didnt know they were real. I think thats why I, and probably alot of other white people take offense to these race baiting articles.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

fair, tons of actual racists in the south. But i think its important to make the distinction, as someone in a very progressive state, if white privilege does exist, its fairly minimal in certain areas. But yea southerners are racist as hell, didnt actually know that until xbox live. Which originally i assumed was kids just being little douches, but yea turns out alot of grown ass men hate black people. After enough "but, you are kidding right?"s on xbox live, turns out some white people are actually super racist. As a whitey in a progressive area of the country, never been around racists, didnt know they were real. I think thats why I, and probably alot of other white people take offense to these race baiting articles.

It's not limited to the south. I've lived as far south as Atlanta and as far north as Ontario, Canada and just about everywhere in-between (never lived west of the Mississippi, though) and I've encountered racists at every stop. The Ottawa/Montreal/Kingston area was just as bad as the southern U.S. Vermont was no different, and neither was upstate NY, Cleveland, St. Louis, Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.

It's mostly the older folk, but not always.

Snowx_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Snowx_
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

This imaginary "white privilege" is nothing more than a cause-and-effect fallacy.

Also, the best way to stop racism is stop talking about it.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

This topic always gets my goat. People always blaming someone else for their own failures and for every story posted here about injustice towards a minority you can find stories that are the opposite. Just look at the hate crime law it never applies to a white person that is a victim unless they are gay. Whites elected a minority as president just because he was a minority. Look what that got us.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773fff2ce4
deactivated-57d773fff2ce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#55 deactivated-57d773fff2ce4
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts

This is kind of overblown, no I don't like privileged people of any kind. I'm white but I come from nowhere, and I agree I'm sick of stupid white people who want to show you something. It's like the morons on Patreon and other crowdfunding, rich kids/people wanting money for nothing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

@BeardMaster said:

It's not limited to the south. I've lived as far south as Atlanta and as far north as Ontario, Canada and just about everywhere in-between (never lived west of the Mississippi, though) and I've encountered racists at every stop. The Ottawa/Montreal/Kingston area was just as bad as the southern U.S. Vermont was no different, and neither was upstate NY, Cleveland, St. Louis, Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.

Racism exists in other countries as well....hell the UK even has a political party built around it.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

@Snowx_ said:

I am having trouble thinking of a dumber statement.

Marth6352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58 Marth6352
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

@BossPerson: The problem with your statement is that since the country was founded ethnicity was used to determine class. Black people couldn't legally vote in some parts of the south untill 50 years ago. That is two generations at most, racism is definitely alive and is being taught to the younger generation. Let's not pretend like the government and american society hasn't had it out for black Americans since early 1900's. It takes time to fix generational problems.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@Snowx_ said:

That's probably the dumbest thing I've read this month.

The best way to stop racism is to "stop being racist".

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 PannicAtack

@jasean79: Don't you know? The best way to solve social problems is to ignore them!

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 jasean79

@PannicAtack said:

@jasean79: Don't you know? The best way to solve social problems is to ignore them!

Right! I remember, growing up my elders always telling me, "Ignore the problem until it goes away". I should've listened!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@indzman said:

If you are born white :

1. You are less likely to be arrested.

2. You are more likely to get into college.

3. You are more likely to "fit in" and get called back for a job.

4. You are less likely to be perceived as a "thug."

5. You are less likely to be labeled "angry."

6. You are more likely to make headlines when missing.

7. You are more likely to find adequate housing.

ARTICLE

Damn, i thought US beleived in equality and merit irrespective of ones skins color LOL.

Is the article true to the point OT or a load of bs ???

You forgot to put in front of it

In the USA

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@lostrib said:

The fact that people (of any color) have the time to sit around on the internet and bitch about how unfair shit is and find crap to be offended by ( ex: frozen is racist, watch dogs fails females, avril lavigne japanese appropriation) shows just how privileged we all are.

You know, I am going to say that there's some truth to this, but that's no reason to ignore legitimate problems in society. I think one issue that gets ignored a lot in our society is how privileged even some of the poorest individuals in our country are when compared to individuals living in some other countries, and how our privilege in part comes at their expense. That being said, it's no reason to be dismissive when there are literally two Americas-one for the white folks and one for everybody else. In fact, given our relative global privilege, there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to address our own inequalities more substantively.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 theone86

@LJS9502_basic said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@BeardMaster said:

Racism exists in other countries as well....hell the UK even has a political party built around it.

So does the U.S., it's called the Republican party.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 theone86

@thegerg said:

@theone86 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@BeardMaster said:

So does the U.S., it's called the Republican party.

You might want to look into the history of the Democratic party too. That whole slavery and KKK connection isn't really all that great either.

I'm talking about present-day politics, not 1861 politics.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

I think many of you are confusing white privilege with racism the two are not the same. White privilege is describing the effect that as a white man in america you have less barriers to fight through to achieve what you would like to achieve. It has nothing to do with how hard you work. A class system still exist in the US and in the rest of the world and you are a fool if you think that it isn't so. There are a few who can get past it there are a few who are exceptions but for the majority no matter how hard you work you still have to work all your life.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#69  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I think it's more like "feminine" privileged since humans are starting to look more androgynous and there are very few androgynous black people.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

This is nothing but bullshit communist propaganda. One principal in oregon wanted to ban peanut butter and jelly sandwiches saying it was form of white privilege. THEY WERE TRYING TO TAKE AWAY 6 YEAR OLD CHILDREN'S LUNCH FOOD. Trying to teach and make white children feel guilty. He was mexican principal too. How about we send white teachers down to mehico and teach all those kids how tortillas are racist! Make sure to stop in Japan and tell them their squid is *** privilege. Whites better wake up and be aware of the masses before all our lands look like south africa or mexico city.

The part about the college thing is not true. Blacks can get into most colleges whites can they just never graduate. That's the difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#71 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

If you are a member of a majority group, you most likely will have advantages. Every group caters to their own.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

Most of the people who have populated the planet have live under a tyrant, dictator or some other oppressive form of government. That was until the white people who founded the United States when forming the country gave the power to the people to rule not the government. It was formed this way because they believed in the basic tenant of freedom and it is every persons natural instinct. In the United States we enjoy for instance freedom of speech can the person who started this thread say the same for his country. As a people the white race has done more to free people than any other race. If the United States is so bad why does everyone try to get into this country to live even with our supposed white privilege.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By jasean79

@JimB said:

Most of the people who have populated the planet have live under a tyrant, dictator or some other oppressive form of government. That was until the white people who founded the United States when forming the country gave the power to the people to rule not the government. It was formed this way because they believed in the basic tenant of freedom and it is every persons natural instinct. In the United States we enjoy for instance freedom of speech can the person who started this thread say the same for his country. As a people the white race has done more to free people than any other race. If the United States is so bad why does everyone try to get into this country to live even with our supposed white privilege.

well said.

Marth6352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Marth6352
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

@JimB: Dude do you realize that in africa(west, south, east,) but especially west Africa the very thing you were talking about was in place for thousands of years?

Kings could be thrown off of their thrones if they did not perform. Cheifs and other leaders answered to the will of the people.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@PannicAtack said:

Privilege can be as simple as things like "flesh-colored" band-aids being modeled after the color of white peoples' skins, or how most tv sitcoms are going to represent white people among their main cast.

So yes, it exists. It's not necessarily always a malicious thing, strictly speaking, but it's important that we're able to recognize it.

Band aids? LOL dude.....no. That is not a privilege....and FYI caucasians vary in skin tone.

Yeah, I think I might have lost a few brain cells from the band-aid statement. Bitching about the color of band-aids is exclusively a first world problem, and therefore is not important in the slightest.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 gamerguru100

@AutoPilotOn said:

I'd say there is more white guilt than privilege.

You're lucky coolbeans90 isn't here. I've mentioned white guilt before in the past when he was around, and he just threw insult after insult. Dude was kind of a prick.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By PannicAtack

@gamerguru100: How is making an observation "bitching"?

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 gamerguru100

@PannicAtack said:

@gamerguru100: How is making an observation "bitching"? Please explain what was stupid about what I said.

Ah, you misunderstood me. I wasn't trying to say you specifically were bitching. I'm saying anyone who actually bitches about band-aids somehow catering to white peoples' skin color pretty much gives away that you live in the first world and don't suffer from actual injustices that billions of other people face each day. Whether white privilege exists or not, the color of fucking band-aids is at the bottom of the list of important issues in the country. And as LJ stated, Caucasian skin tones vary as much as any other race.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

You're lucky coolbeans90 isn't here. I've mentioned white guilt before in the past when he was around, and he just threw insult after insult. Dude was kind of a prick.

What happened ???

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By PannicAtack

@gamerguru100 said:

@PannicAtack said:

@gamerguru100: How is making an observation "bitching"? Please explain what was stupid about what I said.

Ah, you misunderstood me. I wasn't trying to say you specifically were bitching. I'm saying anyone who actually bitches about band-aids somehow catering to white peoples' skin color pretty much gives away that you live in the first world and don't suffer from actual injustices that billions of other people face each day. Whether white privilege exists or not, the color of fucking band-aids is at the bottom of the list of important issues in the country. And as LJ stated, Caucasian skin tones vary as much as any other race.

I was listing nothing as an "issue." I was listing it as an example. People hear the word "privilege" and go into a tizzy for no reason. It's pretty fucking simple: people who are in the majority or are in power are going to have their interests represented the most, whether it's from actual prejudices or the fucking free market at work. For example, straight privilege: most romantic films are gonna feature straight couples, because straight people are the majority. That's an example of privilege.

I don't see why pointing these things out and asking that we recognize things in our general society is met with scorn and dismissal. It comes off as embarrassingly defensive.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

Nah, I've never seen it.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By gamerguru100

@PannicAtack said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@PannicAtack said:

I was listing nothing as an "issue." I was listing it as an example. People hear the word "privilege" and go into a tizzy for no reason. It's pretty fucking simple: people who are in the majority or are in power are going to have their interests represented the most, whether it's from actual prejudices or the fucking free market at work. For example, straight privilege: most romantic films are gonna feature straight couples, because straight people are the majority. That's an example of privilege.

I don't see why pointing these things out and asking that we recognize things in our general society is met with scorn and dismissal. It comes off as embarrassingly defensive.

I agree. It's just that you've got to come up with a better example than the color of band-aids. Things like not being racially profiled or being over represented in the entertainment industry are examples of white privilege, but mentioning the color of band-aids just made me laugh because it's so unimportant. If I were black or Latino in this country, I'd worry more about experiencing racism in the job and housing markets, being a victim of racial profiling, or trying to fit in as a member of a minority group.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 gamerguru100

@indzman said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

What happened ???

The dude just went on how he believed white guilt didn't exist and that very few people actually experienced it, which is contradictory considering that even if only a few people experience white guilt, then that means it exists. But of course, he had to throw every insult in the book at me for simply believing in its existence. I don't know if he just gets a tough guy attitude behind a keyboard or if it's just plain insecurity on his part. White guilt exists and it's a pretty piss poor attitude to have, as well.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

@indzman said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

What happened ???

The dude just went on how he believed white guilt didn't exist and that very few people actually experienced it, which is contradictory considering that even if only a few people experience white guilt, then that means it exists. But of course, he had to throw every insult in the book at me for simply believing in its existence. I don't know if he just gets a tough guy attitude behind a keyboard or if it's just plain insecurity on his part. White guilt exists and it's a pretty piss poor attitude to have, as well.

damn :(