White privilege exists in US ?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

If you are born white :

1. You are less likely to be arrested.

2. You are more likely to get into college.

3. You are more likely to "fit in" and get called back for a job.

4. You are less likely to be perceived as a "thug."

5. You are less likely to be labeled "angry."

6. You are more likely to make headlines when missing.

7. You are more likely to find adequate housing.

ARTICLE

Damn, i thought US beleived in equality and merit irrespective of ones skins color LOL.

Is the article true to the point OT or a load of bs ???

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

Any concept of "(insert noun here) privilege" tends to oversimplify complex social issues.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

USA being a garbage dump is nothing new.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

The article was written by someone who isn't white? Oh, there's a surprise.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

White privilege exist in pretty much every western country.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

My latino jail bird friend is labeled white caucasian in jail so he doesn't get placed in the lower wards with the blacks and latinos

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

The fact that people (of any color) have the time to sit around on the internet and bitch about how unfair shit is and find crap to be offended by ( ex: frozen is racist, watch dogs fails females, avril lavigne japanese appropriation) shows just how privileged we all are.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@thegerg said:

I'm sure it's true, but the real question is whether or not all of that is due to one being white.

Some are some aren't. For example, I've seen some Fil-Ams who like to pretend they're from the gang banger culture. When I asked if they're excelling in class, they said no because excelling is a "white" thing.

Talk about being morons.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I don't think it is privilege. It's more like everyone else is treated like shit.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@Masculus said:

I don't think it is privilege. It's more like everyone else is treated like shit.

that would be privilege.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

probably in some areas. but all the dumb people will die off eventually. right? RIGHT!?

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Privilege can be as simple as things like "flesh-colored" band-aids being modeled after the color of white peoples' skins, or how most tv sitcoms are going to represent white people among their main cast.

So yes, it exists. It's not necessarily always a malicious thing, strictly speaking, but it's important that we're able to recognize it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

More productive would be to discuss what should be done to correct the situation, if anything.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#15 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Go away, aggrieved gender studies drop-out.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Technically, everyone is black and we all came from Africa, so no.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Master_Live said:

More productive would be to discuss what should be done to correct the situation, if anything.

Good idea... Maybe some social differences, goals and what is considered important among family and friends?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Anyone who has taken a sociology class can tell you that this article is full of shit. These are statistics of correlation, not causation. If you're black, you are actually given more help and "privileges" than white people to offset the poor social conditions that black people have experienced in the recent past. For example, black people have an easier time getting into better colleges. They also have easier time getting higher paying jobs. It's called "affirmative action", I call it "forced diversity". Either way, black culture is still battling the aftermath of racism, which is why they experience more poverty and less education in general. If you're black and grow up with white parents in a white suburban neighborhood, all those facts would be completely false.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Black black black ^ what about everyone else

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Anyone who has taken a sociology class can tell you that this article is full of shit. These are statistics of correlation, not causation. If you're black, you are actually given more help and "privileges" than white people to offset the poor social conditions that black people have experienced in the recent past. For example, black people have an easier time getting into better colleges. They also have easier time getting higher paying jobs. It's called "affirmative action", I call it "forced diversity". Either way, black culture is still battling the aftermath of racism, which is why they experience more poverty and less education in general. If you're black and grow up with white parents in a white suburban neighborhood, all those facts would be completely false.

Wrong. There is only a certain percentage they allocate to the blacks, they just do the bare minimum and everyone else is white. Just look at any high paying finance jobs.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

You're also more likely to be diagnosed with a mental illness if you're not white, and a more severe form of mental illness at that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

That is a load of bs. Complex subject, but mostly complete bs.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Still waiting for my ''white privilege'' to kick in. Everything ive ever gotten or my family has gotten has been through hard work and earned.. Anti-whiteism is a disease.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@PannicAtack said:

Privilege can be as simple as things like "flesh-colored" band-aids being modeled after the color of white peoples' skins, or how most tv sitcoms are going to represent white people among their main cast.

So yes, it exists. It's not necessarily always a malicious thing, strictly speaking, but it's important that we're able to recognize it.

Band aids? LOL dude.....no. That is not a privilege....and FYI caucasians vary in skin tone.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I'd say there is more white guilt than privilege.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

Still waiting for my ''white privilege'' to kick in. Everything ive ever gotten or my family has gotten has been through hard work and earned.. Anti-whiteism is a disease.

Me too, man. Me too. :|

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

there is no real white privilege. People put their own selves there

There is assholes who are racist who ends up in some job positions, but same goes for any race.

Then you the block heads that they got this idea of their race/environment idea placed so far up their ass that they continue down that path of playing it.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@thegerg said:

I'm sure it's true, but the real question is whether or not all of that is due to one being white.

There's definitely plenty of racism riling right under the surface of society. I've lived as far south as Atlanta and as far north as Ontario, Canada, and it's the same everywhere.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@lostrib said:

The fact that people (of any color) have the time to sit around on the internet and bitch about how unfair shit is and find crap to be offended by ( ex: frozen is racist, watch dogs fails females, avril lavigne japanese appropriation) shows just how privileged we all are.

Frozen racist? I'm not saying it is, but what do people complain about that has Frozen be racist?

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

you're not poor because white people **** you over for being black.

you're being fucked over because your poor.

privilege comes down to class, not ethnicity.

inb4 your ethnicity can define your class

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@indzman said:

If you are born white :

4. You are less likely to be perceived as a "thug."

5. You are less likely to be labeled "angry."

it's kinda true.... in hollywood and beyond

zaowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 zaowin
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

"For example, black people have an easier time getting into better colleges."

Yet, black college graduates have the highest unemployment rate

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/5/22/black-grads-doubleunemployment.html

What's your excuse for that one?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib

@StrifeDelivery said:

@lostrib said:

Frozen racist? I'm not saying it is, but what do people complain about that has Frozen be racist?

Pretty much it's because everyone in the movie is white

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/disneys-frozen-whitewashing-controversy

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

all that is what black people use as an excuse for their failures. not all but a lot. i grew up in NYC and I have MANY black and hispanic friends over the years. the ones that became successful were the ones who didn't whine about all those things you mentioned, they simply worked hard and didn't join gangs. I also have about 5 friends from childhood who are in jail, 2 of them white, 3 black. All are in for drugs and violent crimes. All of them didn't go to school, didn't care about success, some people are just born bad. though i still consider them friends I'm sure they would do me in if they had to.

zaowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zaowin

@Flubbbs said:

Black and non-black people of color work just as hard as white people, in fact given the overwhelming amount of racism poc have to deal with in predominately white countries, I'd say they work harder and yet they still succeed less and to a lower degree across the board. You and your family work hard, good for y'all, but being white makes your goals more easily attained as you have an entire society catering to you. You can be born with all kinds of cards stacked against like you like physical disability and poverty; you still have it easier than the POC who are in your exact position.

And white privilege isn't limited to the USA, it's very much a global phenomenon. The only person a white individual will be treated lower than is the native of a non-white country...But they'll be treated better than any other person who isn't white and isn't strictly a native of said nation. White privilege is the fact that you are never socially penalized for being white (being killed by someone who hates white people is not a social penalty or oppression, it's simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time). If you could make a list of Goods and Bads "Being White" is always on the Goods, next to "able-bodied" and "smart" or "good-looking" or whatever.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lostrib

@zaowin said:

@Flubbbs said:

Black and non-black people of color work just as hard as white people, in fact given the overwhelming amount of racism poc have to deal with in predominately white countries, I'd say they work harder and yet they still succeed less and to a lower degree across the board. You and your family work hard, good for y'all, but being white makes your goals more easily attained as you have an entire society catering to you. You can be born with all kinds of cards stacked against like you like physical disability and poverty; you still have it easier than the POC who are in your exact position.

And white privilege isn't limited to the USA, it's very much a global phenomenon. The only person a white individual will be treated lower than is the native of a non-white country...But they'll be treated better than any other person who isn't white and isn't strictly a native of said nation. White privilege is the fact that you are never socially penalized for being white (being killed by someone who hates white people is not a social penalty or oppression, it's simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time). If you could make a list of Goods and Bads "Being White" is always on the Goods, next to "able-bodied" and "smart" or "good-looking" or whatever.

Nothing like demeaning someone's achievements based on the color of their skin

zaowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zaowin

@lostrib said:

@zaowin said:

@Flubbbs said:

Nothing like demeaning someone's achievements based on the color of their skin

How would you, lostrib, articulate the social reality of white privilege while simultaneously not demeaning the individual achievements of white people? Something tells me you don't even believe in the former.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@lostrib said:

@StrifeDelivery said:

@lostrib said:

Pretty much it's because everyone in the movie is white

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/disneys-frozen-whitewashing-controversy

Wow...jeez, guess that escalated quickly with some folk (with regards to reading some of the comments in the link you provided). Well, I guess there is always something to complain about.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Yes, on average, being white in the U.S. makes you better off than being non-white.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

i would call it "majority privilege" more than white.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@zaowin said:

@KHAndAnime said:

"For example, black people have an easier time getting into better colleges."

Yet, black college graduates have the highest unemployment rate

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/5/22/black-grads-doubleunemployment.html

What's your excuse for that one?

Not all college degrees are equal broski. Their graduation unemployment rate is 55%, versus the national average which is 45%. It's only a 10% difference. White people have families with more money, allowing them to pursue better and more competitive degrees at better colleges, allowing them to get more competitive jobs. Black people are more likely to have families with less money, only giving them the resources to pursue lesser college degrees at less competitive colleges, which aren't as sought after by the job market. I'm surprised it's only a 10% difference, considering where black people were educationally 30 or 40 years ago.

Blaming racism is the easy answer to a complicated problem. Blaming complicated problems on more simpler ones is an extremely common tactic in society, so it's not surprising to still hear the racism card being pushed.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

seriously? no one posted this gem yet?

Loading Video...

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

That is just how the ball rolled. The country was started by whites,so most of your list means that tons are privileged by just that fact and being setup by their forefathers who got r done. It's not right,but they got in that position for a reason, really.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

@zaowin said:

@Flubbbs said:

youre a dumb ass and a racist

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

If you look at similar statistics for different minority groups, let's say Asian Americans or Jews, they do similarly well in most aspects and even surpass whites in some cases (crime rate, advanced degrees, etc). Does this mean there's also Asian/Jew privilege?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

As much as this is meant not to be serious commentary, it's pretty accurate.

Loading Video...

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Barbariser said:

Yes, on average, being white in the U.S. makes you better off than being non-white.

Wrong. On average, Indian Americans (not native) have it better. They go to jail less than whites, college more than white, better jobs, higher income, etc.

Asians are 2nd place. And then 3rd place is Whites.

Their only issue (indians and asians) was they had it rough socially (girls). But times have changed. I can pull more/better than any of my white friends.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

As people have pointed out, compare the same metrics of whites vs jews/asians and you can make whites look disenfranchised. I think the issue is more cultural and less race based than people want to admit.

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

I have a lot of non-white friends. One of my African-American friends even told me once that he considered me black deep in my heart, even though I'm as white as they come from outside in terms of looks. I helped him a few times when he was in a very difficult situation. He's a very good person and we are very close friends. Now in terms of white privilege, I have a few examples: My friend who makes barely enough to support his little daughter and wife, was about to make a deposit to bank late at night through ATM. Next thing you know, a black person holds him up with a gun and steals all of his hard earned money. Another one of my friends was exiting a liquor store at night. Before he could get to his car, he got gang-banged and stripped of all of his money and jewelry by three black people. Hell, even my dad, who is a captain of a huge cargo ship almost got raided by Somali pirates about a year ago, Guess what race they were? Hint: they weren't white. It was almost Captain Phillips episode 2.

I think this answers your question whether it stills exists and the reasons why.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

I think the issue is more cultural and less race based than people want to admit.

Here in East TN I hear racism from business people all the time. They talk about it openly around other whites like we shouldn't care.

I know business owners who don't even like black people in their stores, and there's no way in hell they'd hire them.

Hell just a couple of months ago I was sitting at the garage waiting to get an alignment done when a black man walked in and asked if they had any positions open for an experienced mechanic. The guy at the counter seemed polite and said "no sir, we're full up". As soon as the black man left the guy at the counter turned to me and said laughing "That boy can shine my shoes but ain't no way in hell I'm putting him to work under those cars, he'd probably steal one."

I took my car and left.