What's the most valuable lesson your life taught you?

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#51 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Never to do anything addictive that can be harmful to myself anymore. God gave me a second chance. :)

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

I've learned that persistence is key, that if you ever want to achieve anything out of life, then you have to work for it. Don't ever feel entitled to anything and feel that people, or the world at large owe you anything. Don't wait around expecting things to just happen. If you want something, then you go for it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@BattleSpectre:

You are pushy. She just want more private date without your friends. A cup of coffee. Something not serious. Maybe even one night stand. And you just start sound like you want her to be your girl friend.

Honestly you should try my coworker strategy. Tall, lean, athletic, good job, good personality, sex only, demand no relationship. And the girls flock over pretending just friends with benefits and always ended up asking for serious relationship LOL.

Pushy? If she thought I was too pushy by inviting her and her brother to hang out with all of my friends for bowling, and that I don't want anything serious at first either then I have no idea what the hell she wanted. Pushy would have been a one on one date, as that means all I want is for her to be with me alone and that's what a boyfriend and girlfriend do - which is not what I had planned to do, I like taking things slowly and getting to know each other first I'm not just after a cheap one night stand.

@bmanva said:
@BattleSpectre said:
@gwynnblade said:

lol no they aren't. They're just more emotionally sensitive than you.

Oh they aren't? A girl telling you she likes you and wants to get to know you better and do activities with you, after you're happy to hear that and you set up something with a group of friends and invite her a long with her brother she cancels without even letting you know? When you message her to find out what's up, she avoids the question completely and gives a half assed response "sorry for late response, didn't see message" and doesn't answer the question. After that you don't bother much, and when you see her around once a week you don't talk with her much and give her the space she needs and let her talk to whoever she wants. After a while you're so confused and get the feeling she's not interested so you ask her, and she begins to tell you "sorry but I'm not ready yet, and you felt a little too pushy"...... lmao. She's the one who asked me, and I gave her all the space she deserved and barely talked to her at all....yeah let me tell you, women are bloody cruel (not all of them) and nothing can change my mind on that, not yet anyways. I have a feeling they do it on purpose for the attention.

Wait wait, a girl tells you all that and you just invite her to an outing with a group of friends and even included her brother? Far be it from me to tell you how to handle women but you gotta be more aggressive bro. It's like a dance she's looking at you to lead. If you are decisive she will be too.

Yes, if she thought I was being too pushy by inviting her to bowling with my friends, imagine if I took her out on my own? She'd still be running.....

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Surround yourself with those who are loyal to you, and reciprocate their loyalty with your own.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I should have did things with those girls when I was younger and had the chance. So when a good thing comes, never pass it up.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

No matter how good I do, there is always someone who does better. No regrets though.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

No matter how good I do, there is always someone who does better. No regrets though.

@bforrester420 said:

Never spend a lot of money on a depreciating asset.

Like a car?

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#58 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Hakona Matata

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@bforrester420 said:

Never spend a lot of money on a depreciating asset.

Like a car?

Bingo

I should add another, more important financial lesson I've learned: Start saving early and aggressively for retirement.

I started investing in a 401(k) at 22, never put less than 10% in (and as much as 30% of my salary during the financial collapse), and it has paid off nicely.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:
@magicalclick said:

@BattleSpectre:

You are pushy. She just want more private date without your friends. A cup of coffee. Something not serious. Maybe even one night stand. And you just start sound like you want her to be your girl friend.

Honestly you should try my coworker strategy. Tall, lean, athletic, good job, good personality, sex only, demand no relationship. And the girls flock over pretending just friends with benefits and always ended up asking for serious relationship LOL.

Pushy? If she thought I was too pushy by inviting her and her brother to hang out with all of my friends for bowling, and that I don't want anything serious at first either then I have no idea what the hell she wanted. Pushy would have been a one on one date, as that means all I want is for her to be with me alone and that's what a boyfriend and girlfriend do - which is not what I had planned to do, I like taking things slowly and getting to know each other first I'm not just after a cheap one night stand.

@bmanva said:
@BattleSpectre said:
@gwynnblade said:

Oh they aren't? A girl telling you she likes you and wants to get to know you better and do activities with you, after you're happy to hear that and you set up something with a group of friends and invite her a long with her brother she cancels without even letting you know? When you message her to find out what's up, she avoids the question completely and gives a half assed response "sorry for late response, didn't see message" and doesn't answer the question. After that you don't bother much, and when you see her around once a week you don't talk with her much and give her the space she needs and let her talk to whoever she wants. After a while you're so confused and get the feeling she's not interested so you ask her, and she begins to tell you "sorry but I'm not ready yet, and you felt a little too pushy"...... lmao. She's the one who asked me, and I gave her all the space she deserved and barely talked to her at all....yeah let me tell you, women are bloody cruel (not all of them) and nothing can change my mind on that, not yet anyways. I have a feeling they do it on purpose for the attention.

Wait wait, a girl tells you all that and you just invite her to an outing with a group of friends and even included her brother? Far be it from me to tell you how to handle women but you gotta be more aggressive bro. It's like a dance she's looking at you to lead. If you are decisive she will be too.

Yes, if she thought I was being too pushy by inviting her to bowling with my friends, imagine if I took her out on my own? She'd still be running.....

Women are confusing like that. I can tell you that being nondirect about with women almost never works as an approach. You have to be decisive; if she's not interested then you would know definitely and move on rather than being in a limbo situation like you were where you are not sure where you stand.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By BattleSpectre

@bmanva: Very sound advice indeed, thanks for that ay. You're definitely right, you need to be direct so you know where you stand.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@BranKetra: I don't get it.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

It gets worse.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#65 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Never jump to conclusions based on emotion.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

Be observant and learn from the mistakes of others, and you'll make fewer of your own.

Your a smart guy. I know lots of idiots think they are beyond others mistakes, as they fail i laugh. But i never say, " see, i told you".

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

Slow down and appreciate life frame by frame. Emanant gratitude is what I've found to be most important in all respects.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@alim298 said:

@BranKetra: I don't get it.

You were talking about the potential for the world to burn. I mentioned something that might alleviate that worry.

aryianna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 aryianna
Member since 2015 • 118 Posts

My biggest life lesson is that we are not promised tomorrow. There's no point putting things off or saying, "I'll do it next year" because next year may not come for you or the person you plan on doing it with. Life your life without regrets.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BattleSpectre

@magicalclick said:

@BattleSpectre:

I don't know about others, but IMO, if you haven't established firm relationship with her, she is totally open to date your friends. Is that what you want?

Of course you should go one on one. Even if it is just a coffee. I am not trying to be mean, but, I really think you should read a book about how to start a date. I am just as clueless, but, honestly I would freak out if the guy invited me to his party too quickly. Because I have to announce my relationship with him in the party and I am not really to answer that.

At least after a month. Thats how I feel in the passive side.

That does make perfect sense, honestly though, at the end of the day there's more to life then just hooking up with girls. Not to mention I'm still really young and still not sure what exactly I want in life, and as we know our standards change down the line when we grow older and mature as a person. She can choose to date whoever she wants even if they're my mates, I have more to look forward to then just one single girl in my life.

Also I'm glad I started posting in the Off-Topic board, everyone on here is quite lovely to chat with and very happy to help and give their advice when you need it, thanks man. =]

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@BranKetra said:

You were talking about the potential for the world to burn. I mentioned something that might alleviate that worry.

In that case I say that there are things worse than superstition and that some philosophies are superstition in truth.

But then again that's because I don't consider myself a philosophos rather I consider myself a philophilosophos if you know what I mean.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@alim298: I am sorry. I do not quite understand what you are saying.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

You are only worth what you produce.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

choose left or choose right. it doesn't matter. either way you will have regrets. this makes making decisions easier for me.....oddly enough.

eva02langley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#75  Edited By eva02langley
Member since 2011 • 375 Posts

Never trusting anyone... it is sad, but it is the truth. Everybody want to make a dime on you even unconsciously. It is the same for relationships. Everyone take their own interest before the one of the other. It is sad because even with age, this still hold true.

The hardest is seeing someone you care about becoming the enemy. All relationships end one day or another... and half of the time, if not more, they end badly.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

A lot of people on the internet are idiots and I'm glad they don't have any position of power or influence over me.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

To Kill them with Kindness

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

@airshocker said:

A lot of people on the internet are idiots and I'm glad they don't have any position of power or influence over me.

They did make you put up that avatar, didn't they?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@gwynnblade said:
@airshocker said:

They did make you put up that avatar, didn't they?

When did they do that? When did someone say in a thread, or send me a PM, telling me to put up the avatar I currently have?

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Gwynnblade

@airshocker: I didn't mean that. But it seems to me that you put up that avatar to mock them.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

Life is a mix of good and bad
Can't do anything about it
Live with it and learn from it

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
@bmanva said:
@BattleSpectre said:
@gwynnblade said:
@BattleSpectre said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

Women are cruel creatures.

This. So much this.

How does that advice make any sense?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@gwynnblade: I put up this avatar to show my contempt for an archaic religion. It doesn't mock anybody. It mocks a faith that claims to be peaceful, but seeks to kill everybody who doesn't worship it.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#85 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@airshocker said:

A lot of people are idiots and I'm glad they don't have any position of power or influence over me.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#86 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Dont buy a new graphics card now. There will be a better one in 6 months time!

Avatar image for nothingformoney
NothingForMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#87 NothingForMoney
Member since 2014 • 466 Posts

Always use incognito mode

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Gwynnblade

@airshocker said:

@gwynnblade: I put up this avatar to show my contempt for an archaic religion. It doesn't mock anybody. It mocks a faith that claims to be peaceful, but seeks to kill everybody who doesn't worship it.

And this religion most probably is Islam?

There are 2 billion followers, why are you alive?

@thereal25 said:

Dont buy a new graphics card now. There will be a better one in 6 months time!

God I forgot this!! THIS HAPPENED TO ME SO MANY TIMES!! NO JUST NO!!!

@nothingformoney said:

Always use incognito mode

Says the toilet.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@chaoscougar1 said:

Why learn? What if when we die we just rott and don't exist anymore? What is the purpose of learning anything if that's the case?

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Gwynnblade

@bobrossperm said:
@chaoscougar1 said:

Why learn? What if when we die we just rott and don't exist anymore? What is the purpose of learning anything if that's the case?

Or you can just change the perspective and say "Shit! I'm gonna die! gotta learn fast!"

If you say nothing would matter when you die, then also consider the other perspective that even your nihilism wouldn't matter once you die. So yeah, while you're here, you have the choice to either flourish or fall down to despair. Choose your card.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@gwynnblade said:
@bobrossperm said:
@chaoscougar1 said:

Or you can just change the perspective and say "Shit! I'm gonna die! gotta learn fast!"

If you say nothing would matter when you die, then also consider the other perspective that even your nihilism wouldn't matter once you die. So yeah, while you're here, you have the choice to either flourish or fall down to despair. Choose your card.

Good point. Why ponder on the bad if we don't know the outcome anyway? Just live this life to the max and if it ends up being our only chance then so be it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@gwynnblade said:
@airshocker said:

Do you really need to ask? Because they're too busy oppressing women and fighting amongst themselves. And also because they can't aim mortars for shit.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Gwynnblade

@airshocker said:
@gwynnblade said:
@airshocker said:

Do you really need to ask? Because they're too busy oppressing women and fighting amongst themselves. And also because they can't aim mortars for shit.

Now I understand why the most important lesson of your life revolves around the internet trolls.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#94  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

The most important person is yourself, you don't NEED anyone else's approval, just do what's comfortable for yourself and enjoy your own company, and you will attract people automatically without even trying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@gwynnblade said:

Now I understand why the most important lesson of your life revolves around the internet trolls.

You don't understand anything, then.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#96  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Actions accomplish far more than patience.

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#97 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

@gwynnblade said:

Greetings everyone! I hope ya'll having a good day.

As the topic implies, what's the most valuable lesson your life taught you?

My life has taught me many lessons. The most valuable would be to always trust my instincts. To always look up to the best version of myself. Rockstars, movie stars, idols, historical figures - they don't mean anything. The 'best' that you can be already far surpasses them. I don't let my weaknesses drown me just because they are a part of me. I ignore them. Because I know I can be better than that. Our weaknesses are innate, working on trying to debug is as futile as its unnecessary. Look what you can do rather what you can't, that way you build yourself up on your weaknesses. Your weakness don't remain weaknesses anymore.

That's all for me. Post stories of how you learnt that lesson if you wish. Mine is a little too boring to share so I'll pass.

I completely agree with you 100%. That is how we are supposed to live i believe.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#98 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Living in front of a computer, Internet, porn and video games might be fun for sometime, but that shit will get old and your life will pass you by. That's what happened to me.

When I was younger I thought that as long as I have those things I wouldn't need anything or anyone else. Then I wake up at 26 bored of those things, but nothing else going on in my life. Now I'm 28 and it's taking all the effort in the world to get my life back on track.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#99 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Everybody lies.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points