What is more dangerous? The 1st or the 2nd Amendment

• 141 results
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

Poll What is more dangerous? The 1st or the 2nd Amendment (28 votes)

1st Amendment 36%
2nd Amendment 64%

I thought I'd ask an interesting question today because of a meme on Facebook being passed around. It was a statement from Hilary Clinton saying if you are too dangerous to fly, you're too dangerous to buy a firearm. This got me thinking. What's really dangerous is our freedom, because it allows people to abuse our rights. Everyone has the right to free speech, but as a result, hatred and bigotry and racism continue to thrive. Many people have died as a result of this amendment. Everyone has the right to bear arms (or should be, but some circumstances remove this right) but as a result, some people buy guns and kill each other with them instead of what the true intent of this amendment was for: defending ourselves from a tyrannical government.

So which amendment of the two is really doing more damage to this country? The first amendment that allows such things as hatred, homophobia, Islamophobia, racism, etc. to proliferate? Or the second amendment that allows mass shootings in this country on an almost weekly basis?

Also, by no means am I looking to discuss having either of these amendments changed. I believe strongly in freedom and as such know that are there are prices to be paid for such freedoms. This thread is only for the purpose of talking about the effects of those freedoms.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#51 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

@thegerg: well threats fall under hate speech and you know threats are unlawful.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

@thegerg: threats can be objective. I can believe I'm just giving a speech say "we need to get rid of Mexicans by any means necessary, kill them if you have to" and someone could shut down the speech and I could end up in court because it sounded like a threat to them. In some instances, yes, I am sticking to the claim, as soon as someone takes it as hate speech it becomes unlawful.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

@thegerg: yeah, yeah, I did try to broaden the term hate speech.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56 BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

@thegerg: What gun did the Orlando shooter use? I rest my case.

You bring something like an AR-15, or whatever, into a club, or a crowded place, and you can take down many people quickly.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By BattleStreak

@thegerg: What kind of drugs are you on?

"designed specifically for the civilian market"?

BS. Read the first sentence. http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/10/foghorn/gun-review-sig-sauer-mcx/

The fact of the matter is, that these semi and fully automatic weapons are capable of mass shootings in a short period of time.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 BattleStreak

@thegerg: Like I've said before, semi and fully automatic guns, are capable of mass shootings in short periods of time. Look at every mass shooting you see. They use semi or fully automatic guns. Not handguns.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts
@battlestreak said:

@thegerg: What gun did the Orlando shooter use? I rest my case.

You bring something like an AR-15, or whatever, into a club, or a crowded place, and you can take down many people quickly.

You bring any semi-auto weapon even a non-"assault" weapon (honestly semi-auto assault weapon is the retardest term ever) into a "crowded place and you can take down many people quickly". Hell, forget the weapon part, anyone bringing a pipe bomb, or molotov cocktail or IED or any homemade flammables or explosives into a packed nightclub has the potential to do equal or more harm.

wildaries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#64 wildaries
Member since 2016 • 499 Posts

@redrichard: that's why we are all American now and prime reason all of Europe not speaking german now or asia Japanese.

think what the world would be like today if some guys did not hide guns in a barn in a few towns away from me 240 years ago.

most of them guys where nuts too.

how would the world had changed?

well for one mr jeffereson would not bought half of America from spain......texas would belong to mexico.

there be no us forces in asia ....

nothing to stop the Japanese in ww2.

Alaska would Russian.

all because some guys stook up with free speech and guns.....that neither was legal then.

freedom of choice.....is not free.

you have to attach something to it to makes sure it remains free.

for many it was a price in blood on a beach somewhere or in a god forsaken jungle.

many gave something ...some gave everything.

when we talk of banning freedoms from anyone to use a bathroom or serve or have a right to speak free we become like places like Singapore where you cant run for anything or say anything unless your part of the chosen few.

they might not beat or torture you but they take you to court claim libel and take away not only your future but that of your familys.

freedom to say what you think in a election running for a election is not legal everywhere.

speak or say anything about the king in Thailand or royal family and get tossed into jail.

who to say that tomorrow a small group of people could exclude you from every right you have.....what to stop them?

the right to bear arms is the one thing the government fears most.......the people.

it protects all even if you don't want it protection....

it don't come free...

there a price to this form of freedom.....

I feel for those who pay that price threw no act of there own had to give up there most important right of all.

but before we toss out every freedom to feel safe.

remember what our founding fathers said on that subject.

those will to give up liberty for security deserve nither.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 bmanva

@battlestreak said:

@thegerg: Like I've said before, semi and fully automatic guns, are capable of mass shootings in short periods of time. Look at every mass shooting you see. They use semi or fully automatic guns. Not handguns.

When was the last time a legally owned fully automatic gun was used in a mass shooting? I'm genuinely curious.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#66 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

Free speech causes hate and bigotry? Holy **** you dudes are completely indoctrinated. Good luck with that shit.

Did not say that. I said it enables it to thrive. There is no law against hate speech, so the WBC, KKK, Neo Nazis, anti-LGBTs, etc, can say whatever they want, rally and protest anything they want. Even though it's free thinking, it's dangerous thinking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#69 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I've never owned any sort of gun that could be branded as an "assault style weapon." I have two double barreled shotguns my grandpa brought back from ww2 france, a S&W .38 special, and a couple of .306 rifles for hunting.

My question is: Would it be easier for a madman with an AR15 to kill multiple people if it was an automatic weapon, or modified to be so? It seems with shot grouping, you would waste ammunition and accuracy in full auto mode. So would a semi auto rifle do more damage, considering the shooter can pick his targets and pull more easily?

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#71  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

@vfighter said:

@Shmiity: The level of stupidity you've just shown is both impressive and downright scary.

We don't need guns. Repeal the second amendment. It's useless. We kill more of our own people every year than terrorists do. We do not need firearms. How many children have to get killed before we say "enough"? Abolish the NRA for a start. Say what you must about me being stupid- we're going to see major gun reform in this country very, very soon.

This forum is so laughably embarrassing

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@Shmiity:

Definitely something needs to be done about the NRA.....I wouldn't repeal the 2nd ammendment, but banning unnecessary high-powered guns is necessary. Stricter control on who gets guns as well.

Unfortunately if we ban guns altogether there would be a revolution. But if we continue to allow the NRA control policy there may be one as well.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#74 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3882 Posts

@Shmiity said:
@vfighter said:

@Shmiity: The level of stupidity you've just shown is both impressive and downright scary.

We don't need guns. Repeal the second amendment. It's useless. We kill more of our own people every year than terrorists do. We do not need firearms. How many children have to get killed before we say "enough"? Abolish the NRA for a start. Say what you must about me being stupid- we're going to see major gun reform in this country very, very soon.

This past weekend Chicago had its 300th killing of 2016. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. The only people who can't get guns are the honest hard working people who want to protect themselves. The only thing that protects people from government is the second amendment.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Neither, after all I am not a communist nor fascist and I actually value the personal freedoms and rights of people.. Hey while we are at it lets throw in the fourth amendment too, cops don't need a legitimate reason to search you, it's protecting too many criminals obviously.. We would all be safer if the authorities had complete control over every one..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-59d151f079814

@thegerg said:

@AFBrat77:

By what criteria should we determine which guns are "high-powered" guns?

My thoughts exactly, because a AR-15 is not a high powered rifle..

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 bmanva

@Shmiity said:
@vfighter said:

You need guns to enforce gun control. So you're not anti-gun as you are pro-only government should have guns. And even if you are right about a "major gun reform" on the horizon doesn't mean you're not stupid for supporting your own oppression.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

1st Amendment:

What the founders wanted: "Free and rational discussions on political and religious issues."

What they got: "OBUMMER IS A MUZZIE TerRORIST StOP OPPRESSING MY FREEduM OF SPEECH!"

2nd Amendment:

What the founders wanted: "An armed population ready to form militias so that they can fight foreign invaders when the time comes (considering that there was no standing military at that time)"

What they got: "I GOt A RIGHT TO ARM MYSELF WITH AR15 YO DEFEND MYFREEDUMS! Except Muslims though, we got to deport them and monitor them.... FREEDUM!!!!!!!!!"

Both have their pros and cons. That said, I wouldn't say either are more dangerous but both are prone to abuse, especially the 1st Amendment. I support freedom of expression but unfortunately you have those who lie and exaggerate to prey on people's fears and unfortunately, they get the vote. Lies spread like wildfire whereas the truth is ignored.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@sSubZerOo:

Well, forgive my wording then, anything beyond a personal handgun, shotgun, or a low-powered hunting rifle should be banned.

If it wouldn't cause a major uproar, I think they should all be banned, but that isn't the case. As it is, anything beyond personal defense and enough to kill deer and similarly overpopulated animals is fine.

redrichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 redrichard
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

@wildaries: What is your point?

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 bmanva

@AFBrat77 said:

@sSubZerOo:

Well, forgive my wording then, anything beyond a personal handgun, shotgun, or a low-powered hunting rifle should be banned.

If it wouldn't cause a major uproar, I think they should all be banned, but that isn't the case. As it is, anything beyond personal defense and enough to kill deer and similarly overpopulated animals is fine.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Shmiity

@bmanva said:
@Shmiity said:
@vfighter said:

You need guns to enforce gun control. So you're not anti-gun as you are pro-only government should have guns. And even if you are right about a "major gun reform" on the horizon doesn't mean you're not stupid for supporting your own oppression.

Lol, come on. I'm not being oppressed. Are the citizens of Australia being oppressed because they cant have guns? No. You guys are so funny. Thousands of people are killed by domestic gun violence every year and you're still saying WE NEED EM TO RISE UP AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT, MAN! Hahahaha. How's your fallout shelter and doomsday planning going?

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Shmiity

@AFBrat77 said:

@Shmiity:

Definitely something needs to be done about the NRA.....I wouldn't repeal the 2nd ammendment, but banning unnecessary high-powered guns is necessary. Stricter control on who gets guns as well.

Unfortunately if we ban guns altogether there would be a revolution. But if we continue to allow the NRA control policy there may be one as well.

I would have no problem if the US government said, "Turn in your guns, you can't handle the responsibility anymore." I agree. Sure, people argue, "Hey! Im a responsible gun owner! Thats not fair!". But at what point do we say too many people are dying. Our kids, teachers, families- thousands of people. Sure, there are responsible gun owners, but enough is enough. Take them all way. If I was a gun owner, I would understand that even though im responsible, it's gotten out of hand it's time to give it up.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Shmiity

@JimB said:
@Shmiity said:
@vfighter said:

This past weekend Chicago had its 300th killing of 2016. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. The only people who can't get guns are the honest hard working people who want to protect themselves. The only thing that protects people from government is the second amendment.

"Protect themselves" argument doesn't hold up for me, sorry. Out of those 300 killings, you really think if the opposing party had guns, it would have prevented... more killing? huh? You can grandstand me all you want and say "YEAH THE 300 DEATHS WOULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED IF WE COULD PROTECT OURSELVES!" You know youre wrong. Take all the guns away from everyone. We don't need them. We don't. Protect us from the government? Are you nuts? Are you a doomsday planner, too? Holy shit, guys. Come on.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 bmanva

@Shmiity said:
@bmanva said:
@Shmiity said:
@vfighter said:

Lol, come on. I'm not being oppressed. Are the citizens of Australia being oppressed because they cant have guns? No. You guys are so funny. Thousands of people are killed by domestic gun violence every year and you're still saying WE NEED EM TO RISE UP AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT, MAN! Hahahaha. How's your fallout shelter and doomsday planning going?

Would you know that you're being oppressed? Sounds like you trust and obey any government explicitly, so even you are taking it up the ass (figuratively speaking) and they tell you you like it, you'd probably ask for second. Plus what's your recourse even if you want it?

As for Australia:
http://www.hangthebankers.com/australia-is-now-officially-a-police-state/
http://theconversation.com/australian-nightmares-the-rise-of-a-police-state-32156
http://www.globalresearch.ca/australias-police-state-coercive-surveillance-and-the-new-security-laws/5404645

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Shmiity

@bmanva said:
@Shmiity said:
@bmanva said:
@Shmiity said:
@vfighter said:

Would you know that you're being oppressed? Sounds like you trust and obey any government explicitly, so even you are taking it up the ass (figuratively speaking) and they tell you you like it, you'd probably ask for second. Plus what's your recourse even if you want it?

As for Australia:

http://www.hangthebankers.com/australia-is-now-officially-a-police-state/

http://theconversation.com/australian-nightmares-the-rise-of-a-police-state-32156

http://www.globalresearch.ca/australias-police-state-coercive-surveillance-and-the-new-security-laws/5404645

The fed itself isn't necessarily our problem- it's the lobbying. Big money, big banks, big influences able to contribute to our congressmen and effect decisionmaking/re-electing. First two things we need to do are : Eliminate Citizen's United, and abolish the NRA. After that happens, we can actually start to do something, anything.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By bmanva

@Shmiity said:
@bmanva said:
@Shmiity said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@Shmiity:

I would have no problem if the US government said, "Turn in your guns, you can't handle the responsibility anymore." I agree. Sure, people argue, "Hey! Im a responsible gun owner! Thats not fair!". But at what point do we say too many people are dying. Our kids, teachers, families- thousands of people. Sure, there are responsible gun owners, but enough is enough. Take them all way. If I was a gun owner, I would understand that even though im responsible, it's gotten out of hand it's time to give it up.

"If I'm a Muslim, I would understand that even though I'm not an extremist, it's gotten out of hand it's time to give it up." "If I'm car owner, I would understand that even though I don't drive drunk, it's gotten out of hand it's time to give it up." How would you giving up your right convince criminals to commit less crime?

Loading Video...

Hey dumbass- guns have one purpose: To kill. Cars, drinking, and other's main purpose is not killing. You can try to embarrass me on the internet with stupid posts- but guns are designed to harm and kill things. It's time to give them up.

Design is irrelevant. Nuclear weapons are designed to eradicate all lives on earth yet in reality the fear of the weapons have kept the world at relative peace and prevented escalation of regional conflicts into a global total war like in the past. Statistically cigarettes, fast food, cars and alcohol have killed more people than guns in the US. I don't need try to embarrass you, you do that well enough on your own when you are that far off from reality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@thegerg said:

@battlestreak:

Ignorance FTL. The majority of mass shooters use handguns.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MHjy3irhi41L-vrk72GOZjjxnVV4gSfQzPfGZm3DY0s/edit#gid=0

From a pretty comprehensive study of mass shootings. Nearly all mass shooters use handguns. Less than 25% use an "assault weapon."

Also, what exactly do you think the word "semiautomatic" means? Your post suggests you don't really understand what you're talking about here.

... This is why this entire debate is intellectually bankrupt.. People are using mass shootings as some how the focal point of why something should be done.. Mass shootings happen so rarely in a country of 300 million people, that you have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning by many times over.. And I am by no means anti gun reform or pro NRA.. I in fact do not like the militant gun culture within the United States.. But if people were actually concerned about the wellbeing and safety of people there are numerous preventable deaths that claim far more lives each year that doesn't bring in a massive debate regarding the bill of rights.. You could make the argument the gun reform should happen with perhaps stricter background checks, or longer wait periods.. But this entire debate is entire appeal to emotion fallacy in using a tragic event that rarely happens that claim few lives compared to the numerous other causes of death out there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@Shmiity said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@Shmiity:

Heart disease: 614,348

• Cancer: 591,699

• Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 147,101

• Accidents (unintentional injuries): 136,053

• Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 133,103

• Alzheimer's disease: 93,541

• Diabetes: 76,488

• Influenza and pneumonia: 55,227

• Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,146

• Intentional self-harm (suicide): 42,773

Top Causes of death in United States in 2014.. Most of these are preventable, yet for some reason we don't see the kind of media and political shit storm as we are seeing when a mass shooting of a few dozen people die.. School shootings for instance has claimed something like 300 lives over a 30 years period.... I can't take this kind of rhetoric seriously talking about saving lives when there are much higher causes of death in the United States by a massive margin that are preventable.. Which furthermore outside the media shit storm of coverage, violent crime is the lowest it has been in 30 to 40 years and is lowering each year.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By bmanva

@sSubZerOo said:
@Shmiity said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@Shmiity:

Heart disease: 614,348

• Cancer: 591,699

• Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 147,101

• Accidents (unintentional injuries): 136,053

• Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 133,103

• Alzheimer's disease: 93,541

• Diabetes: 76,488

• Influenza and pneumonia: 55,227

• Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,146

• Intentional self-harm (suicide): 42,773

Top Causes of death in United States in 2014.. Most of these are preventable, yet for some reason we don't see the kind of media and political shit storm as we are seeing when a mass shooting of a few dozen people die.. School shootings for instance has claimed something like 300 lives over a 30 years period.... I can't take this kind of rhetoric seriously talking about saving lives when there are much higher causes of death in the United States by a massive margin that are preventable.. Which furthermore outside the media shit storm of coverage, violent crime is the lowest it has been in 30 to 40 years and is lowering each year.

I agree mostly. And you're right in that gun crimes are on the declining trend for the last couple of decades. Ironically, some of the cities with the strictest gun control law like Chicago and DC are actually seeing an uptick of violence and homicide recently.

Seraphy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Seraphy-
Member since 2011 • 1562 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

Everyone has the right to free speech, but as a result, hatred and bigotry and racism continue to thrive.

hahahaha

yeah those things would totally go away without the first amendment

hahahahahahaha

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 bmanva

@thegerg said:

@sSubZerOo:

The thing is that, all too often, people tend towards this myopic kind of "if you're not with me you're against me" mindset when discussing things that are so emotionally evocative. There's not a sane person on the planet, from the most ardent NRA supporter wacko to the most vocal "ban all guns now" nutcase, who doesn't want to see mass shootings (criminal violence in general, really) to stop. We can all agree on that, I hope.

That said, in order to appropriately address any problem we really have to understand the problem in a manner that's as factually accurate as possible. While mass shootings are awful, they are (as you indicated) remarkably rare occurrences. And even more rare than mass shootings are mass shootings where an "assault weapon" is used. Entirely doing away with "assault weapons" (let's pretend that that term isn't ambiguous enough to the point that it's really kind of useless if we're talking about gun laws that are going to make sense and work) would certainly eliminate mass shootings where "assault weapons" are used. Unfortunately, entirely doing away with such tools is unrealistic and unlawful. Aside from being unrealistic and unlawful, it would be only a tiny benefit to public health and safety.

As we know, the guns that are most commonly used in gun crimes (including mass shootings) are handguns. Well, I guess we don't all know that, otherwise we wouldn't have people like @battlestreak saying things like "[l]ook at every mass shooting you see. They use semi or fully automatic guns. Not handguns." The problem with discussing this reality with him and others is that you say something like "actually, "assault weapons" aren't really the guns you should be worried about", but they hear something like "stay offa muh gunz, I needs dem!"

I think that a big issue with the perception of the issue that some people have is simple ignorance. That doesn't mean that these people are bad, or that they're dumb. It just means that they're ill-informed. They don't have a solid understanding of the reality of the situation. They're more enticed by a pile of bodies in a gay club or dead white kids in a suburban school than they are by hundreds of dead black kids in shitty neighborhoods. They, for whatever reason, find the killings done with ARs more worthy of outrage than the ones done with cheap handguns in the inner-city. They *really* want guns off the streets, just not the guns that kill poor black folk.

EDIT: Well, I guess not *all* of them want just the least dangerous guns off the street. @Shmiity has displayed the intellectual fortitude to make a proposal that, while unrealistic and unlawful, at least brings to the table something that would make a real impact on gun violence.

Well said. Ultimately none of the posters you intended this to will read it unfortunately. They are just looking for things that justifies their set opinions about the world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#99 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@thegerg said:

@Shmiity:

Hey dumbass- guns have one purpose:

This is simply untrue. There are plenty of guns that are meant for sport. Even if something is meant only for killing, is that reason enough to ban it? Herbicides, fly-swatters, and mousetraps are all made to kill, should we ban those?

fly swatters mousetraps and herbicides are to protect humans from animals that give disease and destroy crops. And trying to obfuscate with appeals to firearms sports seems dishonest. The primary purpose of guns is to kill. If it was not, well, I would be wrong about history.