What is more dangerous? The 1st or the 2nd Amendment

• 141 results
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

Poll What is more dangerous? The 1st or the 2nd Amendment (28 votes)

1st Amendment 36%
2nd Amendment 64%

I thought I'd ask an interesting question today because of a meme on Facebook being passed around. It was a statement from Hilary Clinton saying if you are too dangerous to fly, you're too dangerous to buy a firearm. This got me thinking. What's really dangerous is our freedom, because it allows people to abuse our rights. Everyone has the right to free speech, but as a result, hatred and bigotry and racism continue to thrive. Many people have died as a result of this amendment. Everyone has the right to bear arms (or should be, but some circumstances remove this right) but as a result, some people buy guns and kill each other with them instead of what the true intent of this amendment was for: defending ourselves from a tyrannical government.

So which amendment of the two is really doing more damage to this country? The first amendment that allows such things as hatred, homophobia, Islamophobia, racism, etc. to proliferate? Or the second amendment that allows mass shootings in this country on an almost weekly basis?

Also, by no means am I looking to discuss having either of these amendments changed. I believe strongly in freedom and as such know that are there are prices to be paid for such freedoms. This thread is only for the purpose of talking about the effects of those freedoms.

• 
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58413 Posts

The abuses of either, and the view of them as entitlements as opposed to privileges, are what make them each destructive. Taking each one to its extreme is what makes them dangerous and damaging. This country has lost all reason and moderation in this regard.

It's one thing when a small handful of people push the envelope; they expand the boundary, and when things get out of hand we can reel them back in, but not as far as they were before. That's how we make progress, by pushing the limit and bringing it back to reason. Two big stumbles forward, then a step back to regain our balance. So when a group of Atheist Transgender Furries get together and march in DC to demand certain things and say certain things, we go "Woh woh woh..." and reel it in because that's just crazy, but then we think about it a little bit and in certain areas they might have some constructive things to consider.

Unfortunately, that small group of boundary pushers is massive now in some particular areas, and they don't listen to reason. And no one wants to reel them back in, or they are too scared to, or the people that should be the voice of reason in our country (our politicians) are too concerned about their own welfare and where they fit in to do anything. So that boundary remains pushed beyond reason.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

A solution to bad government with more government is counter productive.

Government promised better security and instead we lost parts of our freedom and got a false sense of security. Their solution? More government.

redrichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By redrichard
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

1st ammendment is dangerous since it limits free expression to only speech. 2nd it gives idiots weapons to throw over the government.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@redrichard said:

1st ammendment is dangerous since it limits free expression to only speech. 2nd it gives idiots weapons to throw over the government.

This post is so moronic I want to think it's sarcasm, but it's the internet so who knows...

redrichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 redrichard

@bmanva: Instead of making a fool of yourself as you usually do. How about you argue the points in the thread for once.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58413 Posts

@magicalclick said:

Both are good. You dont want China speech censorships and you don't want EU privatized speech censorship. And you dont want Africa, only war lord can own guns.

This is exactly what I am talking about; everything is about extremes in this country. It's either become a tyrannical government, or an anarchist's paradise. No one even wants to think, much less talk, about a middle ground.

Nope...say whatever you want no matter how hurtful and threatening it can be, and own as many guns as you want because everyone around you owns guns and you need more guns to protect yourself.

@bmanva said:
@redrichard said:

This post is so moronic I want to think it's sarcasm, but it's the internet so who knows...

Is it? Pretty much half of gun owners I know say they own weapons because they're scared of the government and "need" them in case they need to overthrow it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#8 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@redrichard said:

The second amendment is for regulated militias to enforce state power. You might want to look up the Whiskey Rebellion or Shay's Rebellion before saying such things.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bmanva

@mrbojangles25 said:
@magicalclick said:

Both are good. You dont want China speech censorships and you don't want EU privatized speech censorship. And you dont want Africa, only war lord can own guns.

This is exactly what I am talking about; everything is about extremes in this country. It's either become a tyrannical government, or an anarchist's paradise. No one even wants to think, much less talk, about a middle ground.

Nope...say whatever you want no matter how hurtful and threatening it can be, and own as many guns as you want because everyone around you owns guns and you need more guns to protect yourself.

@bmanva said:
@redrichard said:

Is it? Pretty much half of gun owners I know say they own weapons because they're scared of the government and "need" them in case they need to overthrow it.

Yes, it's moronic. First of all, 1st amendment doesn't "limit" speech (although subsequent SCOTUS cases have established that it's not nonrestrictive) and the term "speech" is inclusive of all form of expression, so the whole first sentence is just plain wrong. As for weapons to "throw over(sic)" the government, no one save for a few extremists promote the idea of overthrowing the government with force and very rarely publicly; if they do they would be immediately arrested because of the simple fact that it's illegal (see Smith Act). What most gun owners likely tell you is that it serves as a last defense against tyranny in whatever form. The idea of a citizen soldier is the basis of the 2nd amendment. It's not really about the actual possibility of a government crackdown but rather a deterrence against it. The thinking again being that armed populace is considerably more difficult to subjugate than an unarmed one. Along with the constitution and its many amendments, 1st and 2nd reinforce the principle that power belongs to the individual not consolidated by the government.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bmanva

@redrichard said:

@bmanva: Instead of making a fool of yourself as you usually do. How about you argue the points in the thread for once.

You're the only fool I see here. Seriously it takes literally two seconds on google to see that you are way off base about your 1st amendment claim.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I tend to view words as being more powerful than 'arms' or violence. As to whom it may be more dangerous to is the better discussion to be had.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

Huh?

I am for both amendments.

Guns laws only work for people who follow the laws. In my country we have a fairly strict gun control, but if I wanted to. I could easily obtain a gun... but I wont, I dont really have any interest, or need in owning one.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Huh?

Guns laws only work for people who follow the laws. In my country we have a fairly strict gun control, but if I wanted to. I could easily obtain a gun... but I wont, I dont really have any interest, or need in owning one.

I agree with this post. I have no interest in owning a gun but I appreciate our gun freedoms in America and don't want restrictions that are unnecessary. But I want restrictions that are necessary (and obviously seem to be currently absent).

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Depends on what you consider dangerous, I guess. I'd say they're both pretty equally dangerous.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Pretty dumb thread overall, neither are dangerous. I find it scary and insane that people are afraid of free speech or legal gun ownership?!?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

They both have loop holes. I can't say 90% of the things I want to say. Toddlers can't own guns what a bummer.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

A solution to bad government with more government is counter productive.

Government promised better security and instead we lost parts of our freedom and got a false sense of security. Their solution? More government.

Slippery slope towards totalitarianism.

Restricting the rights guaranteed by the Constitution because a crazy man got past the incredibly lax and flawed background check system is a moronic proposal. The government in the US needs to be refining the systems already in place to help avoid things like this from happening.

Why was his status on the no-fly list not brought up during the background check for his firearms? It should have been (this would just make sense), but just goes to show how meaningless all these laws and securities really are if they can't work interdepartmentally. If someone is committed to a mental hospital, is that fact also brought up during a background check? I highly doubt it.

EDIT: And restricting free speech is tantamount to making the US like any Muslim country in the world. They could easily legislate things like blasphemy laws despite the freedom of religion right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

What's more dangerous is the absence of those ammendments.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@redrichard said:

^^^^ What a dumbass comment.

@sonicare said:

What's more dangerous is the absence of those ammendments.

^^^^ Darn right about that.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2384 Posts

Both are neither good or bad. I do wish that the founders would have been more specific with both however but they apparently had more faith in the good sense of those that would come after them then was in hindsight warranted.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#22 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@Maroxad said:

Huh?

I agree with this post. I have no interest in owning a gun but I appreciate our gun freedoms in America and don't want restrictions that are unnecessary. But I want restrictions that are necessary (and obviously seem to be currently absent).

Me too, even though I don't own a gun, I like the fact that if I want to buy one, I can. Now as far as the OT is concerned, the ammendments aren't the problem, it's people's interpretation that can make them dangerous.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Americans have an unhealthy obsession with guns, sports and cars.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bmanva

@Maroxad said:

Guns laws only work for people who follow the laws.

Not sure why some people on the left have such a hard time grasping this simple fact. What's more important is the fact that people has to believe the law to be just and reasonable to observe it. Otherwise you have situation like during the prohibition when normally law abiding citizens frequently get involved in criminal enterprises and criminals are glorified as folk heroes. Without changing the culture, any attempt to enforce gun bans would result in the same.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19609 Posts
@samanthademeste said:

Most developed countries have an obsession with sports and cars. But the obsession with guns is mostly unique to America... America has more guns per person than any other country in the world.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

Neither amendment are bad, the second supports the first. I agree with bmanva.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#27 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Without question, the First Amendment has greater potential to harm the United States of America. Someone with a semi-automatic weapon can kill dozens of people while someone who calls for revolution can change the entire nation.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

@samanthademeste said:

Stereotyping is awesome.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BattleStreak

As for the second amendment, I will never understand the need to own a fully automatic, or even a semi automatic assault gun. Those are weapons to be used on the battlefield.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Free speech causes hate and bigotry? Holy **** you dudes are completely indoctrinated. Good luck with that shit.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

One could argue both amendments are necessary for the preservation of a free nation. I see no danger in either of them the way they are written.

However I do agree with fenriz275 . Our founders probably didn't expect their descendants to be outright idiots. Even the Hatfields and Mccoys could agree on the second amendment!

redrichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 redrichard

@raugutcon: you and bmanva have failed to make a counter argument. My point still stands.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BattleStreak

@thegerg: Yes, all of them. There is no need to own a fully or semi automatic assault rifle.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BattleStreak

@thegerg: Whether my statement was slightly incorrect, or not, weapons like those have no place in the hands of ordinary people. You don't need those kinds of weapons.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BattleStreak

@thegerg: Fully automatic weapons, kill people. Video games do not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

@thegerg: As I understand the first amendment; It's freedom of speech so long as one doesn't infringe on another's freedom. So I may consider my words free speech but as soon as someone takes it as hate speech it becomes unlawful. I'm not holding back 90% of hate or nothing though.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BattleStreak

@thegerg: Sure it does.

Video games aren't needed but they're fun and act as a hobby, or something more. Fully automatic guns, can kill people very easily. Walk into a crowd with a fully automatic gun, and take out 30 people in 30 seconds. Let me just make myself clear. I'm not against guns. Handguns, shotguns, and even snipers are fine. But when it comes to something like an AK-47, or an AR-15, no. Those are weapons of death.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#44 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I don't even know why the second amendment still exists. Back in the 1770's my little town in Massachusetts was somewhat unsettled and you had to defend yourself from bears and other dangerous things, but in 2016 I just don't see why normal, every-day people need guns. Isn't it funny how people say they need ASSAULT WEAPONS for "defense"? Why? how? Why do you need to cycle 600 rounds per minute to defend your house? You dont. We kill more of our own people every year than terrorists do. Im more afraid of domestic gun violence than terrorism.

Repeal the 2nd amendment- it has no purpose if you ask me.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Shmiity: The level of stupidity you've just shown is both impressive and downright scary.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

I've seen a lot of retarded political threads at this site but holy shit, this one is ... no words adequately describe it. This country probably won't survive the trigger warning and safe space generation growing up and taking over.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

@thegerg: I don't think I could tell a cop you suck **** without problems in the US.