What does Jesus say about divorce?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I heard that divorce in Christianity is not allowed, is that true? If so, where and why does Jesus say that?

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Gaza I know you know how to google. But really as it stands, there was more directly said about separation and ending a marriage than there ever was about gays, and nobody is out in the streets protesting divorce...
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

Google doesn't exist where you are? Different sects of Christianity do allow divorce. But if you want some Scripture....

In Luke 16:18

Jesus says: Every one who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Mark 10:2-12:

2 And Pharisees came up and in order to test him asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?" 3 He answered them, "What did Moses command you?" 4 They said, "Moses allowed a man to write a certificate of divorce, and to put her away." 5 But Jesus said to them, "For your hardness of heart he wrote you this commandment. 6 But from the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female.' 7 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, 8 and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two but one flesh. 9 What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder." 10 And in the house the disciples asked him again about this matter. 11 And he said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; 12 and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery."

Divorce in and of itself isn't exactly the problem...it's remarriage.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GazaAli
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]Gaza I know you know how to google. But really as it stands, there was more directly said about separation and ending a marriage than there ever was about gays, and nobody is out in the streets protesting divorce...

I'm just trying to open a discussion, and I like to hear about some stuff from those who relate to it personally you know.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#5 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Only reason for divorce is for unfaithfullness I believe. Pretty sure there was some story about this dude who had a wife who cheated on him a lot and he forgave her every time. I think that's what he wants you to do but realizes most people couldn't do that.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GazaAli

Only reason for divorce is for unfaithfullness I believe. Pretty sure there was some story about this dude who had a wife who cheated on him a lot and he forgave her every time. I think that's what he wants you to do but realizes most people couldn't do that.

cain006
You mean like the same "turn to them the other cheek" teaching of Jesus?
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#7 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

GazaAli

You mean like the same "turn to them the other cheek" teaching of Jesus?

Yeah. Well I'm actually guessing that story was more of a metaphor for how God was the dude and the Isrealites were the wife. Because in the bible, they were always getting away from God and coming back.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GazaAli
@XilePrincess if what you're saying is true, that the Bible contained so much condemn for divorce, isn't it odd that divorce is widely accepted among Christians or that they're just apathetic about it?
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
You can separate from your spouse but man cannot dissolve marriage. Meaning once you get married you are married until the death of one of your spouses and cannot remarry until that time. Moses allowed members of the Jewish community to remarry but the marriage Christ proposed is permanent under penalty of adultery.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

You mean like the same "turn to them the other cheek" teaching of Jesus?GazaAli

"Turn the other cheek" doesn't mean what most people think it does. I'll just copy-pasta from Wiki to save time:

A literal interpretation of the passages, in which the command refers specifically to a manual strike against the side of a person's face, can be supported by reference to historical and other factors. At the time of Jesus, striking someone deemed to be of a lower class with the back of the hand was used to assert authority and dominance. If the persecuted person "turned the other cheek," the discipliner was faced with a dilemma. The left hand was used for unclean purposes, so a back-hand strike on the opposite cheek would not be performed. The other alternative would be a slap with the open hand as a challenge or to punch the person, but this was seen as a statement of equality. Thus, by turning the other cheek the persecuted was in effect demanding equality.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GazaAli
You can separate from your spouse but man cannot dissolve marriage. Meaning once you get married you are married until the death of one of your spouses and cannot remarry until that time. Moses allowed members of the Jewish community to remarry but the marriage Christ proposed is permanent under penalty of adultery. ferrari2001
Let me get this straight: you're saying that you can separate from a spouse, that is ok. But if you choose to do that, you are still married to that person and cannot marry another woman, its just separation. Death is the only thing that can end a marriage under Christianity. Is this about right?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] You mean like the same "turn to them the other cheek" teaching of Jesus?br0kenrabbit

"Turn the other cheek" doesn't mean what most people think it does. I'll just copy-pasta from Wiki to save time:

A literal interpretation of the passages, in which the command refers specifically to a manual strike against the side of a person's face, can be supported by reference to historical and other factors. At the time of Jesus, striking someone deemed to be of a lower class with the back of the hand was used to assert authority and dominance. If the persecuted person "turned the other cheek," the discipliner was faced with a dilemma. The left hand was used for unclean purposes, so a back-hand strike on the opposite cheek would not be performed. The other alternative would be a slap with the open hand as a challenge or to punch the person, but this was seen as a statement of equality. Thus, by turning the other cheek the persecuted was in effect demanding equality.

Maybe the entire Scripture would help.... You have heard that it was said, Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.[a] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XilePrincess
@XilePrincess if what you're saying is true, that the Bible contained so much condemn for divorce, isn't it odd that divorce is widely accepted among Christians or that they're just apathetic about it?GazaAli
Christians love to pick and choose. They pick homosexuality as something to condemn, but that was leviticus and leviticus was null and void after Jesus died on the cross. Other rules, including wearing gold, mixed patterns of clothes, eating animals with split hooves or scales, cutting your hair etc etc etc are all things that were ALSO made irrelevant and Christians accept that. Every other god-loving woman wears a gold cross necklace. As per usual, Christians take what they want and leave what they don't, relevant or not. Divorce is still not ideal in most catholic and christian branches, but few condemn it the way they seem to all cling to homosexuality. Jehovah's Witnesses take divorce much more seriously than many other groups, but still are not out protesting it.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]@XilePrincess if what you're saying is true, that the Bible contained so much condemn for divorce, isn't it odd that divorce is widely accepted among Christians or that they're just apathetic about it?XilePrincess
Christians love to pick and choose. They pick homosexuality as something to condemn, but that was leviticus and leviticus was null and void after Jesus died on the cross. Other rules, including wearing gold, mixed patterns of clothes, eating animals with split hooves or scales, cutting your hair etc etc etc are all things that were ALSO made irrelevant and Christians accept that. Every other god-loving woman wears a gold cross necklace. As per usual, Christians take what they want and leave what they don't, relevant or not. Divorce is still not ideal in most catholic and christian branches, but few condemn it the way they seem to all cling to homosexuality. Jehovah's Witnesses take divorce much more seriously than many other groups, but still are not out protesting it.

Eh....promiscuity is to be avoided in Christianity.....homosexuality in and of itself is not really addressed.....but any sex outside of marriage is treated the same.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]You can separate from your spouse but man cannot dissolve marriage. Meaning once you get married you are married until the death of one of your spouses and cannot remarry until that time. Moses allowed members of the Jewish community to remarry but the marriage Christ proposed is permanent under penalty of adultery. GazaAli
Let me get this straight: you're saying that you can separate from a spouse, that is ok. But if you choose to do that, you are still married to that person and cannot marry another woman, its just separation. Death is the only thing that can end a marriage under Christianity. Is this about right?

Yep, that's pretty much it. To marry another person, or have a romantic relationship with another person would be considered adultery. And think of the implications of this when Christ proclaimed this in the passage LJS posted above. Adultery sometimes ended in a stoning. It was a pretty serious offense. So to get married, separate and then remarry was a terrible thing. So it's pretty clear from a scriptural standpoint, not to even mention and tradition standpoint that divorce is a major no-no in the Christian tradition.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XilePrincess
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Eh....promiscuity is to be avoided in Christianity.....homosexuality in and of itself is not really addressed.....but any sex outside of marriage is treated the same.

I got off on a tangent and completely forgot to mention that homosexuality is not even talked about in the bible in a negative way, there are actually positive instances of it. Having homosexual sex (sodomy) was condemned, and that is what was 'forgiven' after Jesus died on the cross. My bad :P But I think most people here know that by now.
xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Divorce is fine if you're Protestant, but not if you're Catholic.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 br0kenrabbit

Maybe the entire Scripture would help.... You have heard that it was said, Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.[a] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.LJS9502_basic

I'll continue the Wiki pasta where I left off:

By handing over one's cloak in addition to one's tunic, the debtor has essentially given the shirt off his back, a situation directly forbidden by Hebrew Law as stated in Deuteronomy:

10 ¶ When thou dost lend thy brother any thing, thou shalt not go into his house to fetch his pledge.

11 Thou shalt stand abroad, and the man to whom thou dost lend shall bring out the pledge abroad unto thee.
12 And if the man be poor, thou shalt not sleep with his pledge:

13 In any case thou shalt deliver him the pledge again when the sun goeth down, that he may sleep in his own raiment, and bless thee: and it shall be righteousness unto thee before the LORD thy God.Deuteronomy 24:1013 KJV

By giving the lender the cloak as well the debtor was reduced to nakedness. Public nudity was viewed as bringing shame on the viewer, not just the naked, as seen in Noah's case:

20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their fathers nakedness.Genesis 9:2023 KJV

The succeeding verse from the Sermon on the Mount can similarly be seen as a method for making the oppressor break the law. The commonly invoked Roman law of Angaria allowed the Roman authorities to demand that inhabitants of occupied territories carry messages and equipment the distance of one mile post, but prohibited forcing an individual to go further than a single mile, at the risk of suffering disciplinary actions.[5] In this example, the nonviolent interpretation sees Jesus as placing criticism on an unjust and hated Roman law as well as clarifying the teaching to extend beyond Jewish law.[6]

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GazaAli
I think sodomy is talked about pretty badly in the old testament. I know that Christians follow the new testament but they are still influenced by it and some still follow it to a certain extent. It could be where the strong opposition to homosexuality stems from. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic

I'll continue the Wiki pasta where I left off:br0kenrabbit

Yeah I saw that Wiki page.  I also saw where they had three different interpretations....so it's a bit disengenuous to say it's what they promote it to mean.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
I think sodomy is talked about pretty badly in the old testament. I know that Christians follow the new testament but they are still influenced by it and some still follow it to a certain extent. It could be where the strong opposition to homosexuality stems from. Correct me if I'm wrong though.GazaAli
Strong opposition comes from custom and culture.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

I'll continue the Wiki pasta where I left off:LJS9502_basic

Yeah I saw that Wiki page.  I also saw where they had three different interpretations....so it's a bit disengenuous to say it's what they promote it to mean.

It is listed at the 'literalinterpretation'. And I didn't first come across such interpretation on Wiki, but rather many years ago in various works that put Jesus forth as an activist as much as a messiah.

I just don't feel like typing up a massive post, so as I said in my entry to this thread, in an effort to save time I'll simply copy-pasta.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

I'll continue the Wiki pasta where I left off:br0kenrabbit

It is listed at the 'literalinterpretation'. And I didn't first come across such interpretation on Wiki, but rather many years ago in various works that put Jesus forth as an activist as much as a messiah.

I just don't feel like typing up a massive post, so as I said in my entry to this thread, in an effort to save time I'll simply copy-pasta.

That still makes it's one opinion. And I'm not fond of scripture mining. Just wanted to clarify is all. Salut!
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 br0kenrabbit

That still makes it's one opinion. And I'm not fond of scripture mining. Just wanted to clarify is all. Salut!LJS9502_basic

That The Bible is truth is also opinion.

That's why I prefer the sciences, but religion is at least interesting.

Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
I can careless what "Jesus" has to say about anything.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I can careless what "Jesus" has to say about anything. Ravenous_Joker

well then you should probably stop caring so much about it

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

Jesus and the Judeo-Christian tradition put heavy emphasis on couples staying together. As verses were mentioned earlier, Jesus' teaching does away with the whole notion of "once I don't feel 'in love' with this person, I'm done with them" that is plaguing our own culture. It may seem harsh, but I think it is overall a very good thing.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lostrib

Jesus and the Judeo-Christian tradition put heavy emphasis on couples staying together. As verses were mentioned earlier, Jesus' teaching does away with the whole notion of "once I don't feel 'in love' with this person, I'm done with them" that is plaguing our own culture. It may seem harsh, but I think it is overall a very good thing.

battlefront23

you think it's good to require two people who are not in love to stay married?

ScottMescudi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ScottMescudi
Member since 2011 • 1550 Posts
Gaza, have you tried bacon?
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 battlefront23

[QUOTE="battlefront23"]

lostrib

Why would they have gotten married if the entire premise of their marriage was "death do you part, except if a fleeting, infatuation butterfly type feeling goes away"? Unless your spouse is A) abusive or B) unfaithful, there is no need to end marriages because people don't "feel it" anymore.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="battlefront23"]

battlefront23

Why would they have gotten married if the entire premise of their marriage was "death do you part, except if a fleeting, infatuation butterfly type feeling goes away"? Unless your spouse is A) abusive or B) unfaithful, there is no need to end marriages because people don't "feel it" anymore.

Wait I thought it was til death do you part? or does that only apply in the specific instances you are okay with?

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 battlefront23

Wait I thought it was til death do you part? or does that only apply in the specific instances you are okay with?

lostrib
Those are vows. The vows include promising to not be unfaithful, and to not be abusive. Or at least, I am pretty sure that is what most people agree when they get married.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

battlefront23

Those are vows. The vows include promising to not be unfaithful, and to not be abusive. Or at least, I am pretty sure that is what most people agree when they get married.

Nope, don't see anything about not beating the hell out of your spouse in the wedding vows, guess they have to stick together until someone gets beat to death

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i don't know about that but i do know when he gives you a ride someplace he says, "put the meat on the seat or let the feet hit the street!" 

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 battlefront23

Nope, don't see anything about not beating the hell out of your spouse in the wedding vows, guess they have to stick together until someone gets beat to death

lostrib
You're basically avoiding the whole point of what I am saying. I just have issue with people leaving each other when the "feeling" goes away.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

battlefront23

You're basically avoiding the whole point of what I am saying. I just have issue with people leaving each other when the "feeling" goes away.

why should they stay together if they don't love each other?  

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 battlefront23

lostrib
Why did they get married?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

battlefront23

Why did they get married?

because they apparently loved each other at one time, or tax reasons, or perhaps she got pregnant, or for a green card, or they were drunk in Vegas

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 battlefront23
because they apparently loved each other at one time, or tax reasons, or perhaps she got pregnant, or for a green cardlostrib
So, why get divorced? Once you stop loving each other, it is over? How could one predict when they will stop loving the person? Because they don't know, what is the point of getting married for those whose primary purpose of getting married is because they love each other?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]because they apparently loved each other at one time, or tax reasons, or perhaps she got pregnant, or for a green cardbattlefront23
So, why get divorced? Once you stop loving each other, it is over? How could one predict when they will stop loving the person? Because they don't know, what is the point of getting married for those whose primary purpose of getting married is because they love each other?

They would get divorced so that they are no longer married to a person they don't love or even possibly hate

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 battlefront23

They would get divorced so that they are no longer married to a person they don't love or even possibly hate

lostrib
So love is a feeling only? If it's gone, there is no use in trying to fix anything?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

battlefront23

So love is a feeling only? If it's gone, there is no use in trying to fix anything?

What if they have?  What does it matter?  They no longer want to be married to each other, they shouldn't be forced to stay together

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 battlefront23

What if they have?  What does it matter?  They no longer want to be married to each other, they shouldn't be forced to stay together

lostrib
I'm not saying they should be forced. Again, missing the point. I am just saying that people should not be so quick to divorce.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

battlefront23

I'm not saying they should be forced. Again, missing the point. I am just saying that people should not be so quick to divorce.

um no you've stated that you agree with the Christian ideas against marriage, as well as that they should stick to their vows including "til death do us part" and that marriages shouldn't be ended just because people aren't in love anymore.  And you've yet to give a good reason why two people who are no longer in love shouldn't get divorced

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 battlefront23
um no you've stated that you agree with the Christian ideas against marriage, as well as that they should stick to their vows including "til death do us part" and that marriages shouldn't be ended just because people aren't in love anymore.  And you've yet to give a good reason why two people who are no longer in love shouldn't get divorcedlostrib
Because, often, children are involved in those marriages. Obviously, some children can handle divorce ok, but generally, it has bad effects on them. How can they believe in love if their parents quit after a certain point? Would they not think they would be doomed to repeat the same? But again, what does "no longer in love" even mean? Why do we put so much stock in a feeling? Do people really think there is someone that they will ALWAYS feel "in love" with? If not, again, why would someone marry for love's sake alone? Wouldn't they realize they eventually will "no longer be in love"?
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#47 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Biblical marriage is well explained here.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]um no you've stated that you agree with the Christian ideas against marriage, as well as that they should stick to their vows including "til death do us part" and that marriages shouldn't be ended just because people aren't in love anymore.  And you've yet to give a good reason why two people who are no longer in love shouldn't get divorcedbattlefront23
Because, often, children are involved in those marriages. Obviously, some children can handle divorce ok, but generally, it has bad effects on them. How can they believe in love if their parents quit after a certain point? Would they not think they would be doomed to repeat the same? But again, what does "no longer in love" even mean? Why do we put so much stock in a feeling? Do people really think there is someone that they will ALWAYS feel "in love" with? If not, again, why would someone marry for love's sake alone? Wouldn't they realize they eventually will "no longer be in love"?

You know what else is bad for children, having two parents who hate each other and argue all the time.  That doesn't exactly teach them anything great about love

So if two people don't love each other, or don't even like each other, why should they stay married?

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 battlefront23
You know what else is bad for children, having two parents who hate each other and argue all the time.  That doesn't exactly teach them anything great about love

So if two people don't love each other, or don't even like each other, why should they stay married?

lostrib
You're right, that is a good point. In that instance, separation, and then some kind of reconciliation at a later time. I just don't want people to divorce unless they find there is absolutely no way they could make it work. My main point is that people are way too quick to abandon marriage when they get too hard. How could you possibly hate someone who you decided to marry? But I think it makes people stronger ultimately, even when it gets tough, if they stick things out, work for change, and accept each other (if there is not unfaithfulness or abuse). My girlfriend have not had a perfect relationship, and we have both had times where we "felt" like we didn't "love" the other person, but we stuck it out, and every time we do, we get stronger as a couple. Again, when someone decides to marry, wouldn't they realize that sometimes they won't like their spouse, and that sometimes they might even feel like they don't "feel" love for their spouse? So, instead of aimlessly trying to find "the one," why not be "the one" for the one you decided that you wanted to marry? Love is a choice. We decide to care about people, and if we love them ONLY if they love us, how can we really call that love?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Who cares, he's dead.