What Do You Think Is The True Meaning Of Christmas?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"] DarkKnight, I dont know if blackregiment is going to use the Bible as a historical source in his arguments, but to say that the New Testament cannot be used as evidence for the existence of God is ridiculous methodology rejected by even the most radical of critics (even Robert M. Price and Richard Carrier, 2 men who are incredibly looney in their own right, would not use these retorts). The fact is the New Testament was canonized over a period of roughly 250 years. You cannot dismiss a document simply because some people a few decades after it was penned decided to call it holy scripture (they didn't even view it the same way modern fundamentalist Christians view it)danwallacefan
The human Jesus and the immortal, powerful, up in heaven god is 2 different things to prove.

but of course. Well just to sum up the evidence neatly, the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus comes from a cumulative case including: The Empty tomb of Jesus, the appearances of christ, and the necessity of explaning the origin of the Christian faith. These 3 lines of evidence point rather conclusively to the historical reality of Jesus' resurrection.

They don't prove at ALL that there is a God. You could say Jesus was an Alien with as much proof. He died but was healed and brought back with technology, he went into heaven(a.k.a Space), he healed people, ect. Look at all the religious paintings with space ships in them.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

There is much evidence for the existence of God in His Creation.

blackregiment

How so, exactly?

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="123625"] As with those who don't beleive in the inerrency of the KJV.123625

For one pleading that the thread not go off-topic, you sure seem to be trying to discuss something that is off-topic, Bible translations.

It was a Joke :| But apperntly I'm bad at them.

P.S I had no intention of discussing translations...

True Biblical Christians do not participate in your ungodly 'jokes'. :x
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Anything aside from what the Bible says?

darklord888

DarkKnight, I dont know if blackregiment is going to use the Bible as a historical source in his arguments, but to say that the New Testament cannot be used as evidence for the existence of God is ridiculous methodology rejected by even the most radical of critics (even Robert M. Price and Richard Carrier, 2 men who are incredibly looney in their own right, would not use these retorts). The fact is the New Testament was canonized over a period of roughly 250 years. You cannot dismiss a document simply because some people a few decades after it was penned decided to call it holy scripture (they didn't even view it the same way modern fundamentalist Christians view it)

The human Jesus and the immortal, powerful, up in heaven god is 2 different things to prove.

In order for one not to believe that Jesus is God, that He was raised from the dead, which therefore proves that God exists, they would have to deny the truth of the empty tomb and the Resurrection. In addition, they would have to deny the fulfillment of hundreds of prophecies in Christ. .

They would have to believe that the Apostles and early Christians made up the Resurrection story. This would require a rational explanation for why the Apostles and early Christians would willingly endure persecution and death for something they knew was a lie? The Apostles and early Christians were stoned, beheaded, boiled in oil, imprisoned, crucified, scourged, fed to lions, clothed in animal skins and then torn apart by wild beasts, tarred and lit on fire, disemboweled, burnt at the stake, etc., rather than recant their faith.

A rational explanation would be required as to why the Jewish Priests and Roman authorities that wanted so much to stamp out early Christianity, as evidenced by their persecution of Christians, chose not to display Jesus' body to disprove the claims of the followers of Christ that he had arose from the dead.

A rational explanation would be required for the dramatic change ins the Apostles' behavior. They scattered and even denied knowing Jesus when He was arrested. After His death, they were crushed, in hiding, their Messiah put to death like a common criminal. Suddenly, after Jesus appeared to them there was a dramatic change. They began to openly preach the Gospel in the Temple in Jerusalem, the very city where Jesus was crucified. The very city where there were living eyewitnesses to the events that would have refuted them if they were lying. They were told to stop but defied the authorities. The endured persecution and ultimately death rather than recant their faith because they believed they saw, touched, and fellowshipped with the resurrected Jesus.

Also needing rational explanation would be why the Apostles were bold enough to preach the resurrection in Jerusalem, the very city where Christ was crucified, to crowds that lived during those events and could have easily disputed the resurrection claims publically. If they were spreading a lie, why did they not go to some remote area where there were no eyewitnesses to the crucifixtation and resurrection of Christ that could disputed their claims if they were lying?

Finally, one would need to explain why the early Church grew so quickly in a pagan world, especially when it was under intense persecution. Even today, in countries like North Korea and China, where Christians are under the most intense persecution, the Church is growing faster than in areas with less persecution.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you are not entitled to your beliefs, far be it to impose on your free will, but personally, when one rationally considers the evidence, the reasonable and rational belief is in the truth of Christianity.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]*yawn* Remind me.Funky_Llama
the moral decrees of God are not arbitrary, they are rooted in justice, love, and compassion.

Are they? So justice, love and compassion are good and exist indepently of God, yes?

yes, but through God we are able to see how they are objectively moral.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#156 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
True Biblical Christians do not participate in your ungodly 'jokes'. :xFunky_Llama
Cause I'm heathen :x
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 blackregiment
[QUOTE="123625"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

For one pleading that the thread not go off-topic, you sure seem to be trying to discuss something that is off-topic, Bible translations.

Funky_Llama

It was a Joke :| But apperntly I'm bad at them.

I was simply making an observation. Am I not allowed to do that? Also, nothing about his statement was "ungodly". No one even asserted that it was.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"] the moral decrees of God are not arbitrary, they are rooted in justice, love, and compassion. danwallacefan
Are they? So justice, love and compassion are good and exist indepently of God, yes?

yes, but through God we are able to see how they are objectively moral.

Well, if there are good things independant of God, then if God does or does not exist, there are still these positive moral values... so morality does not depends of God's existence, regardless of whether you need to believe in God to see how things are moral.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 danwallacefan

They don't prove at ALL that there is a God. You could say Jesus was an Alien with as much proof. He died but was healed and brought back with technology, he went into heaven(a.k.a Space), he healed people, ect. Look at all the religious paintings with space ships in them. darklord888
I should cease this conversation right now because this is all I need to know with near-mathematical certainty that you are not interested in truth or anything in the way of intellectual honesty and are only interested in proving your own atheism to yourself. But regardless, medical science has shown for nearly 3 centuries that the resucitation of a corpse 3 days dead is impossible via any physical or temporal catalyst.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="123625"] It was a Joke :| But apperntly I'm bad at them.

blackregiment

I was simply making an observation. Am I not allowed to do that? Also, nothing about his statement was "ungodly". No one even asserted that it was.

Sarcasm, I assume, is equally Satanic, and should not be recognised.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 danwallacefan
Well, if there are good things independant of God, then if God does or does not exist, there are still these positive moral values... so morality does not depends of God's existence, regardless of whether you need to believe in God to see how things are moral.Funky_Llama
Here's the problem, without God, there is no way you or anyone else can say that good things are objectively Good. If I were to tell you that I think the Holocaust was good and moral, by what standard can you say that my standard is objectively worse and less moral than your standard?
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="darklord888"]

They don't prove at ALL that there is a God. You could say Jesus was an Alien with as much proof. He died but was healed and brought back with technology, he went into heaven(a.k.a Space), he healed people, ect. Look at all the religious paintings with space ships in them. danwallacefan
I should cease this conversation right now because this is all I need to know with near-mathematical certainty that you are not interested in truth and are only interested in proving your own atheism to yourself. But regardless, medical science has shown for nearly 3 centuries that the resucitation of a corpse 3 days dead is impossible via any physical or temporal catalyst.

But that only applies to humans. I give my full backing to the 'flying space Jew' theory. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 123625

My prediction came true!

*snarks*

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#164 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
There is no meaning of Christmas. Its just about presents.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Well, if there are good things independant of God, then if God does or does not exist, there are still these positive moral values... so morality does not depends of God's existence, regardless of whether you need to believe in God to see how things are moral.danwallacefan
Here's the problem, without God, there is no way you or anyone else can say that good things are objectively Good. If I were to tell you that I think the Holocaust was good and moral, by what standard can you say that my standard is objectively worse and less moral than your standard?

Dear me. Contradictions aplenty... you previously admitted that certain values are good independant of God. Now are you claiming the opposite. How about you make your mind up? ;)
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="darklord888"]

They don't prove at ALL that there is a God. You could say Jesus was an Alien with as much proof. He died but was healed and brought back with technology, he went into heaven(a.k.a Space), he healed people, ect. Look at all the religious paintings with space ships in them. Funky_Llama
I should cease this conversation right now because this is all I need to know with near-mathematical certainty that you are not interested in truth and are only interested in proving your own atheism to yourself. But regardless, medical science has shown for nearly 3 centuries that the resucitation of a corpse 3 days dead is impossible via any physical or temporal catalyst.

But that only applies to humans. I give my full backing to the 'flying space Jew' theory. :P

ah, we have encountered another intellectually dishonest Atheist :D. How many more shall crawl out of the woodwork tonight? Now Funky Llama, it is not just humans, but any living thing. I would suggest you learn just a little bit about biochemistry. Cellular metabolism can barely be restarted in just one cell. It cannot be restarted in anything on the macro scale of Eucaryotic life.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 darklord888
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"] DarkKnight, I dont know if blackregiment is going to use the Bible as a historical source in his arguments, but to say that the New Testament cannot be used as evidence for the existence of God is ridiculous methodology rejected by even the most radical of critics (even Robert M. Price and Richard Carrier, 2 men who are incredibly looney in their own right, would not use these retorts). The fact is the New Testament was canonized over a period of roughly 250 years. You cannot dismiss a document simply because some people a few decades after it was penned decided to call it holy scripture (they didn't even view it the same way modern fundamentalist Christians view it)blackregiment

In order for one not to believe that Jesus is God, that He was raised from the dead, which therefore proves that God exists, they would have to deny the truth of the empty tomb and the Resurrection. In addition, they would have to deny the fulfillment of hundreds of prophecies in Christ. .

They would have to believe that the Apostles and early Christians made up the Resurrection story. This would require a rational explanation for why the Apostles and early Christians would willingly endure persecution and death for something they knew was a lie? The Apostles and early Christians were stoned, beheaded, boiled in oil, imprisoned, crucified, scourged, fed to lions, clothed in animal skins and then torn apart by wild beasts, tarred and lit on fire, disemboweled, burnt at the stake, etc., rather than recant their faith.

A rational explanation would be required as to why the Jewish Priests and Roman authorities that wanted so much to stamp out early Christianity, as evidenced by their persecution of Christians, chose not to display Jesus' body to disprove the claims of the followers of Christ that he had arose from the dead.

A rational explanation would be required for the dramatic change ins the Apostles' behavior. They scattered and even denied knowing Jesus when He was arrested. After His death, they were crushed, in hiding, their Messiah put to death like a common criminal. Suddenly, after Jesus appeared to them there was a dramatic change. They began to openly preach the Gospel in the Temple in Jerusalem, the very city where Jesus was crucified. The very city where there were living eyewitnesses to the events that would have refuted them if they were lying. They were told to stop but defied the authorities. The endured persecution and ultimately death rather than recant their faith because they believed they saw, touched, and fellowshipped with the resurrected Jesus.

Also needing rational explanation would be why the Apostles were bold enough to preach the resurrection in Jerusalem, the very city where Christ was crucified, to crowds that lived during those events and could have easily disputed the resurrection claims publically. If they were spreading a lie, why did they not go to some remote area where there were no eyewitnesses to the crucifixtation and resurrection of Christ that could disputed their claims if they were lying?

Finally, one would need to explain why the early Church grew so quickly in a pagan world, especially when it was under intense persecution. Even today, in countries like North Korea and China, where Christians are under the most intense persecution, the Church is growing faster than in areas with less persecution.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you are not entitled to your beliefs, far be it to impose on your free will, but personally, when one rationally considers the evidence, the reasonable and rational belief is in the truth of Christianity.

How is an unexplained thing be proof god exists? Again, he could have been revived by technology. Aliens are more believable that mighty beings. Also how many Apostles type people have there been in history? Greeks, Egyptians, and in fact THOUSANDS of other religions have had "proof" there god(s) is real. Just because something is unexplained doesn't mean proof. Also take in the fact that these were DUMB people. They didn't understand things and if they saw something strange they would call it a sign from God or magic. This is a time when the world was undiscovered, when they thought the earth was flat and space was heaven. A time when basic science was barely a concept. If Jesus came here today and can back to life it would be amazing but not proof of god. A woman came back to life after 17 HOURS. Could the same thing have happened to Jesus? Is she the next incarnation of God? Why aren't we worshiping her?
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Well, if there are good things independant of God, then if God does or does not exist, there are still these positive moral values... so morality does not depends of God's existence, regardless of whether you need to believe in God to see how things are moral.Funky_Llama

Dear me. Contradictions aplenty... you previously admitted that certain values are good independant of God. Now are you claiming the opposite. How about you make your mind up? ;)

Good sir, are you ignoring my points? I am saying that Justice, compassion, and Love are independent of God. The point I am trying to make is that through God, we can say that those values (justice, compassion, love) are objectively moral. Without God, you have no basis by which you can say that Justice, compassion, and love are objectively moral and that someone who has a moral standard condemning such actions holds to an objectively immoral standard.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"] I should cease this conversation right now because this is all I need to know with near-mathematical certainty that you are not interested in truth and are only interested in proving your own atheism to yourself. But regardless, medical science has shown for nearly 3 centuries that the resucitation of a corpse 3 days dead is impossible via any physical or temporal catalyst.danwallacefan

ah, we have encountered another intellectually dishonest Atheist :D. How many more shall crawl out of the woodwork tonight? Now Funky Llama, it is not just humans, but any living thing. I would suggest you learn just a little bit about biochemistry. Cellular metabolism can barely be restarted in just one cell. It cannot be restarted in anything on the macro scale of Eucaryotic life.

:And I have encountered another Christian who can't take a joke... that makes two. :lol: But I quite like this bizarre little tangent, so... how do you know without having seen every alien being in the universe?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 123625

How is an unexplained thing be proof god exists? Again, he could have been revived by technology. Aliens are more believable that mighty beings. Also how many Apostles type people have there been in history? Greeks, Egyptians, and in fact THOUSANDS of other religions have had "proof" there god(s) is real. Just because something is unexplained doesn't mean proof. Also take in the fact that these were DUMB people. They didn't understand things and if they saw something strange they would call it a sign from God or magic. This is a time when the world was undiscovered, when they thought the earth was flat and space was heaven. A time when basic science was barely a concept. If Jesus came here today and can back to life it would be amazing but not proof of god. A woman came back to life after 17 HOURS. Could the same thing have happened to Jesus? Is she the next incarnation of God? Why aren't we worshiping her?darklord888

Sigh~ I said to myself I won't get involved, but now I will. What are the conditions this woman died in?

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

Dark_Knight6

How so, exactly?

I have gone through that on another thread with you and I am not going to do it here. I just give you a couple. The impossibility of an un-caused origin for the universe, all matter, energy, even space and time, from a singularity that occupied no position in space or time. All thing that begin to exist have a cause. The universe began to exist. The universe had a first cause. The hundreds of anthropic factors that if even one of them had a slightly different value, the universe would have not formed and life would be impossible. The improbability of life forming from non-living chemicals by random chance in a hostile environment not conducive to the formation of amino acids and the problem of chirality.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"]Here's the problem, without God, there is no way you or anyone else can say that good things are objectively Good. If I were to tell you that I think the Holocaust was good and moral, by what standard can you say that my standard is objectively worse and less moral than your standard? danwallacefan

Good sir, are you ignoring my points? I am saying that Justice, compassion, and Love are independent of God. The point I am trying to make is that through God, we can say that those values (justice, compassion, love) are objectively moral. Without God, you have no basis by which you can say that Justice, compassion, and love are objectively moral and that someone who has a moral standard condemning such actions holds to an objectively immoral standard.

The conclusion of your argument is that God exists, and your argument rests upon moral values existing. To avoid begging the question, you must prove that objective moral values exist without resorting to God - which you have just claimed is impossible. Nice self-defeating argument there.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

blackregiment

How so, exactly?

I have gone through that on another thread with you and I am not going to do it here. I just give you a couple. The impossibility of an un-caused origin for the universe, all matter, energy, even space and time, from a singularity that occupied no position in space or time. All thing that begin to exist have a cause. The universe began to exist. The universe had a first cause. The hundreds of anthropic factors that if even one of them had a slightly different value, the universe would have not formed and life would be impossible. The improbability of life forming from non-living chemicals by random chance in a hostile environment not conducive to the formation of amino acids and the problem of chirality.

Hooray, I was right after all about the God-of-the-gaps arguments! :lol:
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Funky_Llama
Sigh~ I said to myself I won't get involved, but now I will.123625
Ah, isn't it always the way? :P
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 darklord888

[QUOTE="darklord888"] How is an unexplained thing be proof god exists? Again, he could have been revived by technology. Aliens are more believable that mighty beings. Also how many Apostles type people have there been in history? Greeks, Egyptians, and in fact THOUSANDS of other religions have had "proof" there god(s) is real. Just because something is unexplained doesn't mean proof. Also take in the fact that these were DUMB people. They didn't understand things and if they saw something strange they would call it a sign from God or magic. This is a time when the world was undiscovered, when they thought the earth was flat and space was heaven. A time when basic science was barely a concept. If Jesus came here today and can back to life it would be amazing but not proof of god. A woman came back to life after 17 HOURS. Could the same thing have happened to Jesus? Is she the next incarnation of God? Why aren't we worshiping her?123625

Sigh~ I said to myself I won't get involved, but now I will. What are the conditions this woman died in?

"After Velma Thomas, from Nitro, West Virginia, went into cardiac arrest at home, medics managed to establish a faint pulse after eight minutes of CPR. But at hospital, her heart stopped twice more and she was placed on life support.

For more than 17 hours doctors failed to detect any brain activity, despite extensive attempts to revive her, including pioneering treatment to lower her body's temperature in a bid to stimulate the brain.

Family members braced themselves for the worst. Tim Thomas, Velma's son, said he and two dozen relatives and friends gathered at the hospital and "prayed and prayed and prayed" before starting to accept Mrs Thomas would not survive.

"I came to the conclusion she wasn't going to make it," Mr Thomas, 36, told the Charleston Daily Mail. "Her skin had already started hardening, her hands and toes were curling up, they were already drawn. There was no life there."

Doctors told him there was no pulse, blood pressure or measurable brain activity. "There were really no signs she had neurological functions," Kevin Eggleston, a internal medicine specialist, told ABC News. The family decided to turn off life support and say their goodbyes. "

17 hours dead, no life support, came back to life by no medical cause. She just started back up again. She even had rigor mortis.

As much of proof as God as Jesus. Lets all worship this woman for over 2000 years nows.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 danwallacefan

I doubt that you would be able to give me a shred of evidence for such a ludicrous contention. The people of the ancient world were VERY aware of the fact that DEAD PEOPLE STAYED DEAD.

[QUOTE="darklord888"]They didn't understand things and if they saw something strange they would call it a sign from God or magic. darklord888

Once again, the ancients were very aware that dead people stayed dead. Even in the greek myths, resurrections were not allowed.

This is a time when the world was undiscovered, when they thought the earth was flat and space was heaven. A time when basic science was barely a concept. darklord888

but here's where you are misapplying history, ancient people every single day of their lives witnessed people dying and not coming back, more than you or I have experienced it. Are they all of the sudden going to express unlimited credulity towards the idea that someone actually came back to life?

If Jesus came here today and can back to life it would be amazing but not proof of god. A woman came back to life after 17 HOURS. Could the same thing have happened to Jesus? Is she the next incarnation of God? Why aren't we worshiping her?darklord888
Well for one thing Jesus was executed by Roman crucifixion. An atheist I know said it best, "Even Jesus Christ Superstar couldn't survive a roman crucifixion". Secondly, Jesus was dead for 3 DAYS!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 123625
[QUOTE="123625"]Sigh~ I said to myself I won't get involved, but now I will.Funky_Llama
Ah, isn't it always the way? :P

Cause I just can't help my self :P
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]But that only applies to humans. I give my full backing to the 'flying space Jew' theory. :PFunky_Llama

:And I have encountered another Christian who can't take a joke... that makes two. :lol: But I quite like this bizarre little tangent, so... how do you know without having seen every alien being in the universe?

The reason I did not believe that was a joke is because darklord isn't the first Atheist I have met to use that line. Secondly, we dont have to study every alien to know how their bodies would work. all we need to study is basic biochemistry and a little bit of evolutionary biology.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Dear me. Contradictions aplenty... you previously admitted that certain values are good independant of God. Now are you claiming the opposite. How about you make your mind up? ;)Funky_Llama

The conclusion of your argument is that God exists, and your argument rests upon moral values existing. To avoid begging the question, you must prove that objective moral values exist without resorting to God - which you have just claimed is impossible. Nice self-defeating argument there.

So funky llama, do you not believe in objective moral values all of the sudden?
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="darklord888"] The human Jesus and the immortal, powerful, up in heaven god is 2 different things to prove.darklord888

How is an unexplained thing be proof god exists? Again, he could have been revived by technology. Aliens are more believable that mighty beings. Also how many Apostles type people have there been in history? Greeks, Egyptians, and in fact THOUSANDS of other religions have had "proof" there god(s) is real. Just because something is unexplained doesn't mean proof. Also take in the fact that these were DUMB people. They didn't understand things and if they saw something strange they would call it a sign from God or magic. This is a time when the world was undiscovered, when they thought the earth was flat and space was heaven. A time when basic science was barely a concept. If Jesus came here today and can back to life it would be amazing but not proof of god. A woman came back to life after 17 HOURS. Could the same thing have happened to Jesus? Is she the next incarnation of God? Why aren't we worshiping her?

I see you simply went on a speculative journey. Is that because you are unable to address the point I made that would require a reasonable and rational explanation if Jesus did not actually rise from the dead?

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"] ah, we have encountered another intellectually dishonest Atheist :D. How many more shall crawl out of the woodwork tonight? Now Funky Llama, it is not just humans, but any living thing. I would suggest you learn just a little bit about biochemistry. Cellular metabolism can barely be restarted in just one cell. It cannot be restarted in anything on the macro scale of Eucaryotic life. danwallacefan

The reason I did not believe that was a joke is because darklord isn't the first Atheist I have met to use that line. Secondly, we dont have to study every alien to know how their bodies would work. all we need to study is basic biochemistry and a little bit of evolutionary biology.

No we don't. Our understanding of biochemistry studies earthly organisms only. To ascribe these properties to aliens that would almost certainly be massively different to our lifeforms is beyond ridiculous.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 123625
[QUOTE="123625"]

[QUOTE="darklord888"] How is an unexplained thing be proof god exists? Again, he could have been revived by technology. Aliens are more believable that mighty beings. Also how many Apostles type people have there been in history? Greeks, Egyptians, and in fact THOUSANDS of other religions have had "proof" there god(s) is real. Just because something is unexplained doesn't mean proof. Also take in the fact that these were DUMB people. They didn't understand things and if they saw something strange they would call it a sign from God or magic. This is a time when the world was undiscovered, when they thought the earth was flat and space was heaven. A time when basic science was barely a concept. If Jesus came here today and can back to life it would be amazing but not proof of god. A woman came back to life after 17 HOURS. Could the same thing have happened to Jesus? Is she the next incarnation of God? Why aren't we worshiping her?darklord888

"After Velma Thomas, from Nitro, West Virginia, went into cardiac arrest at home, medics managed to establish a faint pulse after eight minutes of CPR. But at hospital, her heart stopped twice more and she was placed on life support. For more than 17 hours doctors failed to detect any brain activity, despite extensive attempts to revive her, including pioneering treatment to lower her body's temperature in a bid to stimulate the brain. Family members braced themselves for the worst. Tim Thomas, Velma's son, said he and two dozen relatives and friends gathered at the hospital and "prayed and prayed and prayed" before starting to accept Mrs Thomas would not survive. "I came to the conclusion she wasn't going to make it," Mr Thomas, 36, told the Charleston Daily Mail. "Her skin had already started hardening, her hands and toes were curling up, they were already drawn. There was no life there." Doctors told him there was no pulse, blood pressure or measurable brain activity. "There were really no signs she had neurological functions," Kevin Eggleston, a internal medicine specialist, told ABC News. The family decided to turn off life support and say their goodbyes. " 17 hours dead, no life support, came back to life by no medical cause. She just started back up again. She even had rigor mortis.

Now lets compare, Jesus was horribly tortured before his death. He was hung on a cross and peirced with a spear when he died. He was placed in a tomb for THREE days. Now iI don't see how you can compare the two. Jesus should have remained dead by all accounts. He should have had not a single ounce of strength left to even leave the cave after three days without food! How can you compare the two?

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"] Good sir, are you ignoring my points? I am saying that Justice, compassion, and Love are independent of God. The point I am trying to make is that through God, we can say that those values (justice, compassion, love) are objectively moral. Without God, you have no basis by which you can say that Justice, compassion, and love are objectively moral and that someone who has a moral standard condemning such actions holds to an objectively immoral standard. danwallacefan

Oh, I do, but since I'm being accused of intellectual dishonesty, I may as well live up to it. 'What moral values?' is perhaps the easiest way of refuting the moral 'argument'.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Dark_Knight6

blackregiment

An all-powerful being with a sick sense of humor and an unknown origin creating everything doesn't seem so much more likely, to be honest.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]:And I have encountered another Christian who can't take a joke... that makes two. :lol: But I quite like this bizarre little tangent, so... how do you know without having seen every alien being in the universe?Funky_Llama

No we don't. Our understanding of biochemistry studies earthly organisms only. To ascribe these properties to aliens that would almost certainly be massively different to our lifeforms is beyond ridiculous.

we know that life similar to bacteria and ameobas will arise thanks to biochemistry and organic chemistry. seriously dude, biochemistry. its sort of how we know that we need to search for life on celestial bodies with liquid water.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

How so, exactly?

Funky_Llama

And you base your "faith" in a naturalistic Science of the Gaps belief system. We all have faith, I place mine in what God has said and you place yours in what man has said.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]The conclusion of your argument is that God exists, and your argument rests upon moral values existing. To avoid begging the question, you must prove that objective moral values exist without resorting to God - which you have just claimed is impossible. Nice self-defeating argument there.Funky_Llama

Oh, I do, but since I'm being accused of intellectual dishonesty, I may as well live up to it. 'What moral values?' is perhaps the easiest way of refuting the moral 'argument'.

no actually it isn't.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 blackregiment
Well I have to go for awhile. I'll be back later. God bless
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"] So funky llama, do you not believe in objective moral values all of the sudden? danwallacefan

no actually it isn't.

Really? If that's the case, then you should be able to make light work of it. I'm waiting. ;)
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

blackregiment

And you base your "faith" in a naturalistic Science of the Gaps belief system. We all have faith, I place mine in what God has said and you place yours in what man has said.

Just out of interest, what makes you think that I am a philosophical naturalist (at least I assume you were referring to philosophical naturalism)?
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Oh, I do, but since I'm being accused of intellectual dishonesty, I may as well live up to it. 'What moral values?' is perhaps the easiest way of refuting the moral 'argument'.Funky_Llama
no actually it isn't.

Really? If that's the case, then you should be able to make light work of it. I'm waiting. ;)

by expressing ethical skepticism, you haven't actually denied the existence of objective moral values.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"] no actually it isn't. danwallacefan

by expressing ethical skepticism, you haven't actually denied the existence of objective moral values.

Nor have you proved them. The burden of proof is on you, remember.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

Dark_Knight6

An all-powerful being with a sick sense of humor and an unknown origin creating everything doesn't seem so much more likely, to be honest.

You asked me a question and I respectfully answered it, even thought I have given you those answers before. Now, since you are unable to offer reasonable and rational explanations for those three simple points, you now choose to resort to demeaning and mocking God. Why must you do that? That really does nothing to further your stated position that God does not exist.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

blackregiment

You asked me a question and I respectfully answered it, even thought I have given you those answers before. Now, since you are unable to offer reasonable and rational explanations for those three simple points, you now choose to resort to demeaning and mocking God. Why must you do that? That really does nothing to further your stated position that God does not exist.

Where did he state that God does not exist?
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 darklord888
Now lets compare, Jesus was horribly tortured before his death. He was hung on a cross and peirced with a spear when he died. He was placed in a tomb for THREE days. Now iI don't see how you can compare the two. Jesus should have remained dead by all accounts. He should have had not a single ounce of strength left to even leave the cave after three days without food! How can you compare the two?

Look, the thing is all this "proof" is only out of one book and that book has been disproved many, many times already. There is no proof out of that book.

You can't say "Because this happened god is real". Like I said, there is as much proof that god was an alien as he was the son of god(http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=pmWk9ttLX3I&feature=channel_page). There are thousands of unexplained things, bizzare things and ones that seem almost unnatural. It isn't proof of God.

Also I have gone 4 days without food and very little water. I survived and had strength to walk.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Dark_Knight6

blackregiment

I never stated that God doesn't exist. You cannot give me a reasonable or rational explanation, either. And if the Christian God does exist, there is no doubt in my mind that he has a sick sense of humor.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Really? If that's the case, then you should be able to make light work of it. I'm waiting. ;)Funky_Llama

Nor have you proved them. The burden of proof is on you, remember.

so why were you asserting that morals are objective before in this thread? but regardless, some moral prepositions are simply self-evident, like "its wrong to torture babies" or "its wrong to shove jews into gas chambers".
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="123625"]Now lets compare, Jesus was horribly tortured before his death. He was hung on a cross and peirced with a spear when he died. He was placed in a tomb for THREE days. Now iI don't see how you can compare the two. Jesus should have remained dead by all accounts. He should have had not a single ounce of strength left to even leave the cave after three days without food! How can you compare the two?

darklord888

Look, the thing is all this "proof" is only out of one book and that book has been disproved many, many times already. There is no proof out of that book.

You can't say "Because this happened god is real". Like I said, there is as much proof that god was an alien as he was the son of god(http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=pmWk9ttLX3I&feature=channel_page). There are thousands of unexplained things, bizzare things and ones that seem almost unnatural. It isn't proof of God.

Also I have gone 4 days without food and very little water. I survived and had strength to walk.

a Jesus walking beaten and bloodied would have never in a million years convince anyone that he had risen from the dead, let alone a group of stern jewish monotheists.

and pray tell, how have the Gospels and Epistles been disproven? Remember, the bible is not one book

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Actually, a lot of people don't think its the true birthdate of Jesus Christ.

Even if it isn't, its still a celebration of the event.

-TheSecondSign-
well it couldn't be that date, the bible says the shepards were grazing thier lambs, there are no lambs in winter
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="markop2003"][QUOTE="-TheSecondSign-"]

Actually, a lot of people don't think its the true birthdate of Jesus Christ.

Even if it isn't, its still a celebration of the event.

well it couldn't be that date, the bible says the shepards were grazing thier lambs, there are no lambs in winter

does it snow in Israel?