What Do You Think Is The True Meaning Of Christmas?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

[QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"]It's another faceless holiday that has been bastardized by modern society.-TheSecondSign-

:lol:

Now I sure know who to call when I need cheered up.

I'm good at making people happy that they're not me.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

In Christianity it's supposed to mark the date of the birth of Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, no one knows the actual date of Jesus's birth so it was decided that it would be celebrated on the 25th.

Originally, what is called Christmas today was actually a Pagan holiday, so in a way Christmas smothered the Pagan holiday and took it's place.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts
[QUOTE="-TheSecondSign-"]

[QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"]It's another faceless holiday that has been bastardized by modern society.Blood-Scribe

Do you need a hug?

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Blood-Scribe
[QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"][QUOTE="-TheSecondSign-"]

-TheSecondSign-

Do you need a hug?

No.

-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 -TheSecondSign-

No.

A pen pal?

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Blood-Scribe

A pen pal?

-TheSecondSign-

Can we be more than just pen pals?

Avatar image for Lord__Darkstorn
Lord__Darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Lord__Darkstorn
Member since 2007 • 2031 Posts

[QUOTE="-TheSecondSign-"][QUOTE="Crushmaster"]
Which do you think is more important?Crushmaster

I'd assume Christ, Mr Billy Graham.

I'm a good deal different than Billy Graham. He's very Biblically unsound and liberal, if I recall correctly.

He's a registered Dem and won't join Falwell's 'Religious Right,' but is still a quite conservative person:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_graham#Politics

-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 -TheSecondSign-
[QUOTE="-TheSecondSign-"]

A pen pal?

Blood-Scribe

Can we be more than just pen pals?

Why the hell not?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Celebrating the winter solstice with a week of feasting, drinking and orgies. Like the original pagan holiday that was adapted by the early Christian church to bring in more converts.
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#60 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts
[QUOTE="dog64"]The holiday that is Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus harashawn
I'm sorry, but why then do we call it "Christ"mas, if it has nothing to do with Jesus?

I didn't say anything about the name. The "holiday" doesn't have anything to do with Jesus. The fable of a man in a red suit climbing down your chimney to put gifts under your fake tree from his apparently extra-gigantic sack have, in my opinion, no relation to the birth of Jesus. And, as mentioned before, the day the holiday is celebrated, December 25th, also has nothing to do with Jesus.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

I believe it is about celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
(Matthew 1:21) - "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."
Please note: This topic's purpose is evangelism; please keep the topic relating around Christian subjects - i.e. the Bible, and, of course, the question.
Thank you, and God bless,
Crushmaster.

Crushmaster

christmas is an adaptation of pagan celebration - kind of ironic you would support if given your literal interpretation angle re: the Bible that you and BR seem to follow.

i'm curious. do you buy a tree? adorn it with ornaments? present a wreath? hang mistletoe? very curious indeed.

do you celebrate on the 25th of December? do you tell your children of reindeer and santa claus? elves? the workshop? north pole? do you purchase candy canes? do you buy gifts for others on this day?

oblivionownn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#65 oblivionownn
Member since 2008 • 285 Posts
[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]
I believe it is about celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
(Matthew 1:21) - "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."
Please note: This topic's purpose is evangelism; please keep the topic relating around Christian subjects - i.e. the Bible, and, of course, the question.
Crushmaster.

3picuri3

christmas is an adaptation of pagan celebration - kind of ironic you would support if given your literal interpretation angle re: the Bible that you and BR seem to follow.

i'm curious. do you buy a tree? adorn it with ornaments? present a wreath? hang mistletoe? very curious indeed.

do you celebrate on the 25th of December? do you tell your children of reindeer and santa claus? elves? the workshop? north pole? do you purchase candy canes? do you buy gifts for others on this day?

Just because we are christians, DOESNT mean we can't put ornaments on our tree...

Santa claus is just a myth that purpose-seeking people believe in...

CHRISTMAS IS NOT THE ADAPTION OF PAGAN BELIEFS!!!!!!!!

I don't EVER want to hear something like that again...

Christmas is a time of celebrating Jesus' birth.

There is only ONE bible, and only ONE true religion.

I hope you one day find the person who died for YOU, and rose again, for YOU.

That person, is Christ Jesus.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#66 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I wish we knew Jesus' actual birthday so we could celebrate it then.Theokhoth
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/3687843/Jesus-was-born-in-June-astronomers-claim.html Maybe an answer?
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
Christmas is a load of bull. Luckily my brother and I have talked my family out of celebrating. I don't need an excuse to spend time with my family.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#68 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

That person, is Christ Jesus.oblivionownn

Actually, Christmas was originally a pagan holiday. It was adapted by the early Christian church to appeal the religion to more people allowing them to gain more converts. At the time in Rome, polytheism was the popular religion and Christianity wanted more people to follow what you seem to think is the "one true religion," so they adapted the pagan winter festival to coincide with a celebration of the birth of Jesus. Jesus was definitely not born in the winter, the best estimates put it sometime during the spring.

And Christmas isn't even a religious holiday anymore... it has become wholly commercialized. Easter is a far more important religious holiday for Christians... given the fact that it marks the date of Jesus' resurrection... the entire basis of the Christian religion. And even then it has become commercialized. Heck, even Hallowe'en and All Saints Day is more important to Christians.

ownage_denied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 ownage_denied
Member since 2008 • 871 Posts
[QUOTE="3picuri3"][QUOTE="Crushmaster"]
Crushmaster.

oblivionownn

Just because we are christians, DOESNT mean we can't put ornaments on our tree...

"In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.

The problem was that there was nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia's concluding day, December 25th, to be Jesus' birthday."

Link

Pretty interesting stuff.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

Jebus, of course! :P

But I suppose its meaning could be anything you make it; I'm a festive existentialist. :P

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#71 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16048 Posts
Religious folk celebrating the birth of Jesus. That's at least what it's supposed to be.
RmanForLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 RmanForLife
Member since 2006 • 646 Posts
[QUOTE="oblivionownn"][QUOTE="3picuri3"]

ownage_denied

"In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.

The problem was that there was nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia's concluding day, December 25th, to be Jesus' birthday."

Link

Pretty interesting stuff.

I am actually surpirsed how few actually know this. I learned that a long time ago, back in 9th grade when we were required to take World Religions. Its funny because if I recall you can find all of this info in the Catholic Encyclopedia. Don't quote me on that since its been a while since I worked at the county library.

justblaze7204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 justblaze7204
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts
For me it is both spending time with family and friends as well as celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. I know it was originally a pagan holiday that the Catholic Church turned into a Christian Holiday but that still doesn't mean we can't celebrate it as the birth of Jesus. ~peace
DJ_Novakain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 DJ_Novakain
Member since 2008 • 2147 Posts
Some pagan holiday that the Christians melded with their own so they pagans would be less pissed off about their **** being ruined. Also, its a great time for people to buy me stuff.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178880 Posts
[QUOTE="oblivionownn"]CHRISTMAS IS NOT THE ADAPTION OF PAGAN BELIEFS!!!!!!!!

That person, is Christ Jesus.foxhound_fox

Actually, Christmas was originally a pagan holiday. It was adapted by the early Christian church to appeal the religion to more people allowing them to gain more converts. At the time in Rome, polytheism was the popular religion and Christianity wanted more people to follow what you seem to think is the "one true religion," so they adapted the pagan winter festival to coincide with a celebration of the birth of Jesus. Jesus was definitely not born in the winter, the best estimates put it sometime during the spring.

And Christmas isn't even a religious holiday anymore... it has become wholly commercialized. Easter is a far more important religious holiday for Christians... given the fact that it marks the date of Jesus' resurrection... the entire basis of the Christian religion. And even then it has become commercialized. Heck, even Hallowe'en and All Saints Day is more important to Christians.

Christmas means Christ's Mass and was never a pagan holiday. It is celebrated on the same day as a pagan holiday because it was easier to switch the reason for the celebration than to remove a holiday that was enjoyed by the populace. Christmas is still a religious holiday.......some people celebrate a secular holdiay but it is erroneous to say Christmas is not religious.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#76 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Gimme Gimme Gimme :cry:
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 3picuri3
[QUOTE="3picuri3"][QUOTE="Crushmaster"]
Crushmaster.

oblivionownn

i'm addressing the TC because he has in the past proclaimed himself as an extremist right wing baptist, who prides himself on literal interpretation of the scripture. so doing these things would be a violation of scripture. you can do whatever you like, i'm not judging, just asking.

and calm down mate, this is a simple question not directed at you. i will never bow to people that tell me they don't want to hear the truth - if you read the links and history texts it's quite obvious that the current holiday we celebrate was adopted to try to lure / draw pagans in to the flock ages ago. read up on Saturnalia, people have provided links.

maheo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 maheo30
Member since 2006 • 5102 Posts
[QUOTE="oblivionownn"]CHRISTMAS IS NOT THE ADAPTION OF PAGAN BELIEFS!!!!!!!!

That person, is Christ Jesus.foxhound_fox

I agree! While I am a follower of Christ and think that He alone is the only way to God the Father I don't celebrate christmas. With its pagan origins I feel uncomfortable celebrating it. That is just me though. That isn't some legalistic thing I put on others. That is just my personal feelings.

zeorshadow19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79 zeorshadow19
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts
1 and 2. My church has a really nice Christmas Eve service every year and I enjoy going with family.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
A time to get together with friends and family and having a jolly good time. Also exchange of gifts plays a part.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Funky_Llama

Christmas means Christ's Mass

LJS9502_basic
Ah, I never knew that. You learn something new every day. :P
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 3picuri3

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Christmas means Christ's Mass

Funky_Llama

Ah, I never knew that. You learn something new every day. :P

[Middle English Cristemas, from Old English Crstes mæsse, Christ's festival : Crst, Christ; see Christ + mæsse, festival; see Mass.]

it isn't mass in the contemporary christian sense, but maesse, as in 'festival'.

LLCoolKo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#83 LLCoolKo
Member since 2005 • 794 Posts

presents

AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts
I celebrate with my family but I see it more as a time of giving and sharing than anything especially religious.
Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

to get free stuff and food.

Avatar image for RenegadePatriot
RenegadePatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 RenegadePatriot
Member since 2007 • 20815 Posts
I think that the number one important thing is to remember to make Jesus an important part of your Christmas celebration. Also too I find that it is important to spend Christmas times with your family and friends.
shyskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 shyskillz
Member since 2006 • 4197 Posts
if i had kids i would never tell my kids some fake fat bearded dude from the north pole gave them the gifts i paid for. no no no, he wont get credit for what i did. besides what fat dude is going to fit down a chimney, itz the most ridiculous fable i ever heard of.
TheOddQuantum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 TheOddQuantum
Member since 2008 • 2472 Posts
It's a corporate holiday.
MetaKnight50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89 MetaKnight50
Member since 2008 • 3533 Posts

I think Christmas is about recieving gifts, and then sharing those gifts with your family/friends. Heres an example:

When was young i used to play with yu-gi-oh cards with my brosthers and cousins. And at christmas we would get some cards and play with eachother. Thats what i think christmas is all about.

DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
Because my christmas as always been like that, giving, giving, giving and giving, I got showered with gifts, sometimes I was so consumed by greed I even teared open some presents when I wasn't suppose to. But now that I am older I could care less of materials, unless they benefit me in some way. Either way everyone loves gifts.tzar3
Don't you care for the family aspect of it?
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts
It appears that "Spending time with friends and family" is the most-chosen choice, next to "Celebrating the birth of Christ". Very interesting.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]It appears that "Spending time with friends and family" is the most-chosen choice, next to "Celebrating the birth of Christ". Very interesting.

Last time you did this, I said that it was the most thinly-veiled bump I'd ever seen. Well, congratulations: you've outdone yourself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
The true meaning is to celebrate the birth of christ, but another secondry meaning has come along with it and takes president over the true meaning now days.
viewtifulshmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 viewtifulshmoe
Member since 2003 • 3532 Posts
Christmas tree cakes. /thread>
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Crushmaster
The true meaning is to celebrate the birth of christ, but another secondry meaning has come along with it and takes president over the true meaning now days.123625
What would that be?
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#98 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

well the holiday itself was fashioned for commercialism.. (santa clause actually has the coca cola colors) but to me its just spending time with friends and familyJetLag123

^This. December 25 was very likely not actually Jesus Christ's birthday.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
[QUOTE="123625"]The true meaning is to celebrate the birth of christ, but another secondry meaning has come along with it and takes president over the true meaning now days.Crushmaster
What would that be?

Giving and receiving, the spirit of christmas that sort of thing. While nothing wrong with it, we tend to ignore the true meaning and encompass that.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Crushmaster
[QUOTE="Crushmaster"][QUOTE="123625"]The true meaning is to celebrate the birth of christ, but another secondry meaning has come along with it and takes president over the true meaning now days.123625
What would that be?

Giving and receiving, the spirit of christmas that sort of thing. While nothing wrong with it, we tend to ignore the true meaning and encompass that.

Yes, indeed.