What Do You Think Is The True Meaning Of Christmas?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ski11buzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 ski11buzz
Member since 2003 • 2117 Posts
Christmas has turned into a commercial holiday, but the true meaning was to celebrate the birth of Jesus. hence christmas
Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#202 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts
Nowadays,it's just a commercialized celebration for businesses to proftit upon.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

You asked me a question and I respectfully answered it, even thought I have given you those answers before. Now, since you are unable to offer reasonable and rational explanations for those three simple points, you now choose to resort to demeaning and mocking God. Why must you do that? That really does nothing to further your stated position that God does not exist.

Dark_Knight6

I never stated that God doesn't exist. You cannot give me a reasonable or rational explanation, either. And if the Christian God does exist, there is no doubt in my mind that he has a sick sense of humor.

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

It is more than what He perceived, it is what He knew. He was God incarnate, one person of the Trinity.

Dark_Knight6

I doubt that.

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

God gave you the freedom to do that if you choose.

Dark_Knight6

The problem is, there isn't any proof he even exists.

I'm sorry about that. For a moment I thought we were going to stick with the law of non-contradiction rather than get into a word parsing competition. Remember. This is not our first discussion.

You indicated that you don't believe Jesus is God, and that there isn't any real proof that God exists. Now you are claiming that you didn't mean that God doesn't exist.

Ok, so then what do you believe?

By the way, if you now believe God exists, I would suggest that you reconsider demeaning and mocking him. Here is what He said about that.

Gal 6:7Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 blackregiment

Look, the thing is all this "proof" is only out of one book and that book has been disproved many, many times already. There is no proof out of that book.

darklord888

Care to supply evidence to support your assertion that the Bible has been "disproven many, many times"?

There have been hundreds of archaeological discoveries that have confirmed people, places, and events listed in the Bible. In addition, there are hundreds of fulfilled prophecies.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Hooray, I was right after all about the God-of-the-gaps arguments! :lol:Funky_Llama

And you base your "faith" in a naturalistic Science of the Gaps belief system. We all have faith, I place mine in what God has said and you place yours in what man has said.

Just out of interest, what makes you think that I am a philosophical naturalist (at least I assume you were referring to philosophical naturalism)?

Many past discussions with you. Am I incorrect? Do you believe in a supernatural Creator for the universe?

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#206 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts
This thread got a little nasty.... Anyway, got to go with option 1. But the other 2 are important :p.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

I'm sorry about that. For a moment I thought we were going to stick with the law of non-contradiction rather than get into a word parsing competition. Remember. This is not our first discussion.

You indicated that you don't believe Jesus is God, and that there isn't any real proof that God exists. Now you are claiming that you didn't mean that God doesn't exist.

By the way, if you now believe God exists, I would suggest that you reconsider demeaning and mocking him. Here is what He said about that.

Gal 6:7Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

blackregiment

I believe it's possible he exists, I just don't see any absolute proof that he does exist. As for the whole mocking thing, he must have a sick sense of humor if what the Bible says is true.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#208 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
The name of Christmas and its purpose belongs to Christians, but the date and holiday does not. The origins are not Christian ones - enjoy your bastardized dates and false worship.
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
Free stuff?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#210 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
[QUOTE="123625"]Now lets compare, Jesus was horribly tortured before his death. He was hung on a cross and peirced with a spear when he died. He was placed in a tomb for THREE days. Now iI don't see how you can compare the two. Jesus should have remained dead by all accounts. He should have had not a single ounce of strength left to even leave the cave after three days without food! How can you compare the two?

darklord888

Look, the thing is all this "proof" is only out of one book and that book has been disproved many, many times already. There is no proof out of that book.

You can't say "Because this happened god is real". Like I said, there is as much proof that god was an alien as he was the son of god(http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=pmWk9ttLX3I&feature=channel_page). There are thousands of unexplained things, bizzare things and ones that seem almost unnatural. It isn't proof of God.

Also I have gone 4 days without food and very little water. I survived and had strength to walk.

Alright, I'm not saying its real I'm just demonstrating why christians don't worship just any one person who claimed to ressurect him or herself. And can you give me at least one of these thousand inexplainable things that even compares to the story of Jesus's death and ressurection?

Oh, and HE WAS DEAD FOR THREE DAYS, a normal person after enduring that kind of torture and treatment should have no energy to walk out of the cave, let alone STILL BE ALIVE.

SegaGenesisfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 SegaGenesisfan
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts

http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/was-jesus-born-on-december-25-faq.htm

Guys, really, I hate to say this (actually I love to say this), but christmas is just a trojan for pagan festivals, and practices. There really is not true DAY jesus was born, no one knows, it does not matter, we just need to know how he was born, and maybe the year. Believe me, this christmas thing came from catholicism, trust me when the world celebrates it, doesnt it make you wonder, especially when you see the traditions, and how the world loves this time. I work in this time, so I also HATE christmas! But, I guess it is the only time I get to see my adulterous, idolizing, blastphemous, and godless family. Woopy! Some day though, I wont have to deal with this stupid time of year, just me and my own self.

This is really directed towards my union members.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

Guys, really, I hate to say this (actually I love to say this), but christmas is just a trojan for pagan festivals, and practices. There really is not true DAY jesus was born, no one knows, it does not matter, we just need to know how he was born, and maybe the year. Believe me, this christmas thing came from catholicism, trust me when the world celebrates it, doesnt it make you wonder, especially when you see the traditions, and how the world loves this time. I work in this time, so I also HATE christmas! But, I guess it is the only time I get to see my adulterous, idolizing, blastphemous, and godless family. Woopy! Some day though, I wont have to deal with this stupid time of year, just me and my own self.

This is really directed towards my union members.SegaGenesisfan
i kind of brought this up earlier and our friends BR and CM both ignored it and failed to answer any of my queries. my suspicion is that they celebrate with a tree and decorations and mistletoe, and reindeer, and candy canes. if not i'm curious to hear what a self-professed 'extremist right wing baptist' does for xmas. because hardly any of the current practices are founded in scripture - and many actually violate scripture.
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#213 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
don't even joke birth of Jesus Christ, our Lord please only a small % of people actually celebrate chrismas because of this.Chrismas today has become meaning less just a way to sell products
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#214 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
Christmas was originally a pagan holiday. The "true meaning" of Christmas? To come together, feast, and celebrate. It has nothing (absolutely NOTHING) to do with Jesus. Historically speaking, those fuzzy red hats, and people getting far too drunk on eggnog - are closer to the true meaning of Christmas than Jesus.
AndYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#215 AndYOU
Member since 2005 • 6712 Posts
It's about spending time with family and the birth of Christ
metalmouth14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#216 metalmouth14
Member since 2008 • 415 Posts
For me its for sending time with family and freinds. I don't use the holiday to celabrate the birst of christ because I'm not religious.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#217 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58533 Posts
having fun with my family and seeing smiles and laughs and giving and receiving presents. When my mom and my aunt (her sister) get together they can make everyone laugh its great.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#218 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
Options A and B. Presents and parties are just bonuses.
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#219 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts
[QUOTE="SegaGenesisfan"]

This is really directed towards my union members.3picuri3
i kind of brought this up earlier and our friends BR and CM both ignored it and failed to answer any of my queries. my suspicion is that they celebrate with a tree and decorations and mistletoe, and reindeer, and candy canes. if not i'm curious to hear what a self-professed 'extremist right wing baptist' does for xmas. because hardly any of the current practices are founded in scripture - and many actually violate scripture.

I also told BR about this in another thread and he got mad at me, although he admitted that Santa has nothing to do with Jesus. Truth be told, Blackregiment and Crushmaster have no second thoughts on the way they worship, even though they are celebrating pagan holidays that their Lord probably doesn't approve.
Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#220 Adversary16
Member since 2007 • 1705 Posts
Christmas is, first and foremost, to celebrate the birth of our saviour, Jesus Christ! That said, it's also an opportunity to show how much we really love and care for our family and friends...
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#221 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm not a huge religious man, so I think spending time with family and friends is the most important. Don't get me wrong, Jesus is great, and we do take time to celebrate his birth, but I think demonstrating our love for our family and friends also reflects the values Jesus tried to convey. Basically I think being with our loved ones also illustrates our appreciation and love of Jesus.

And now I'm done with my heartfelt speech...

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#222 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts

Buying crap.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
blackregiment wrote: And you base your "faith" in a naturalistic Science of the Gaps belief system. We all have faith, I place mine in what God has said and you place yours in what man has said. Funky_Llama wrote:Just out of interest, what makes you think that I am a philosophical naturalist (at least I assume you were referring to philosophical naturalism)? blackregiment wrote:Many past discussions with you. Am I incorrect? Do you believe in a supernatural Creator for the universe?Nope... but why that would make me a naturalist, I don't know.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

God gave you the freedom to do that if you choose.

blackregiment

The problem is, there isn't any proof he even exists.

I think the term is weak atheism...
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"] by expressing ethical skepticism, you haven't actually denied the existence of objective moral values. danwallacefan
Nor have you proved them. The burden of proof is on you, remember.

so why were you asserting that morals are objective before in this thread? but regardless, some moral prepositions are simply self-evident, like "its wrong to torture babies" or "its wrong to shove jews into gas chambers".

Are they? Hooray! That means that they're objectively good independant of God's existence, thus destroying the premise of the moral argument that we need God for there to be objective morality. Thanks for doing my work for me.
Solid_Snak3Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Solid_Snak3Xx
Member since 2008 • 413 Posts
Sighs.... Well first i want to begin by saying that Jesus Christ Wasnt born in Dec. in the bible says that when he was born there were green grass,shepherds where out on the fields with their animals, and there is no way that that could happen in winter. Therefore it must had been sometime in Summer Second, this idea was made by a *itaian * king named konstantin something. In that time ( after the dead of the last diseiple) there were many different religions in italy incuding chrisianism. so this king decided to mix all this religions into one. they included many rituals from other religions etc. Besides Jesus Said that he wanted people to remember his death.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 blackregiment

I also told BR about this in another thread and he got mad at me, although he admitted that Santa has nothing to do with Jesus. Truth be told, Blackregiment and Crushmaster have no second thoughts on the way they worship, even though they are celebrating pagan holidays that their Lord probably doesn't approve.dog64

Mad at you? You have such a flair for the dramatic use of words. Informing non-believers that followers of Christ do not take spiritual advice from those that do not accept Christ as their Lord and Savior, is simply stating the truth, not being mad. Now you might consider our stating the truth as being "mad", but a more appropriate word for us is sad. Christians share the Good News of salvation in Christ in love, and it saddens us, as well as it does the Lord, when His truth is rejected.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior;
1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
1Ti 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

cousin_eddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#228 cousin_eddy
Member since 2004 • 74681 Posts
Hah, do you mean what Christmas originally stod for or what it became?
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 blackregiment

There seems to be some confusion regarding Christian beliefs regarding the true meaning of Christmas, what the Bible says regarding the date of birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and the appropriateness of some Christmas traditions as they relate to glorifying our Lord. For those that would like some more information on these things, that actually seek the truth, rather than just trying to us the celebration of the birth of our Lord, Christmas, as an excuse to spread doubt regarding the truth of Christianity, here are some links that you might find helpful. God bless

What is the true meaning of Christmas?

"The true meaning of Christmas is love. John 3:16-17 says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." The true meaning of Christmas is the celebration of this incredible act of love.

The real Christmas story is the story of God's becoming a human being in the Person of Jesus Christ. Why did God do such a thing? Because He loves us! Why was Christmas necessary? Because we needed a Savior! Why does God love us so much? Because He is love itself (1 John 4:8 ) . Why do we celebrate Christmas each year? Out of gratitude for what God did for us, we remember His birth by giving each other gifts, worshipping Him, and being especially conscious of the poor and less fortunate."

http://www.gotquestions.org/Christmas-true-meaning.html

Was Jesus born on December 25?

"The truth is we simply don't know the exact date of our Savior's birth. In fact, we don't even know for sure the year in which He was born. Scholars believe it was somewhere between 6 B.C. and 4 B.C. One thing is clear: if God felt it was important for us to know the exact date of the Savior's birth, He certainly would have told us in His Word. The Gospel of Luke gives very specific details about the event, even down to what the baby was wearing – "swaddling clothes"—and where he slept—"in a manger" (Luke 2:12). These details are important because they speak of His nature and character, meek and lowly. But the exact date of His birth has no significance whatsoever, which may be why God chose not to mention it.

The fact is that He was born, that He came into the world to atone for our sins, that He was resurrected to eternal life, and that He's alive today. This is what we should celebrate, as we are told in the Old Testament in such passages as Zechariah 2:10: "'Shout and be glad, O Daughter of Zion. For I am coming, and I will live among you,' declares the LORD." Further, the angel that announced the birth to the shepherds brought "good news of great joy that will be for all the people" (Luke 2:10). Surely here is the cause for celebration every day, not just once a year."

http://www.gotquestions.org/December-25.html

Do some Christmas traditions have pagan origins?

"So obscure are the beginnings of many Christmas traditions that reference books and internet sites contradict one another on the details. Some of our most popular and beloved Christmas symbols are entirely Christian, and were never part of any pagan religion anywhere. At the same time, some Christmas traditions undoubtedly do have their origins in the pagan past. What is important is not the origins of traditions, but their significance to us today as believers in the Son of God. December 25 was not mentioned in the biblical narrative as the day Jesus was born, and, as such, we cannot be dogmatic about it one way or the other. But even if the date is completely wrong, there is still the opportunity for thousands of people who wouldn't go to church any other time of the year to go on Christmas day and hear the gospel of Christ.

If you are fully convinced that you cannot, in good conscience, observe a particular Christmas tradition, do not observe it. If you are fully convinced that a particular tradition is too steeped in paganism to honor God in any way, by all means forsake that tradition. At the same time, if you are fully convinced that you can honor and worship God through a particular tradition, honor and worship God (Romans 14:5)!

For Christians, Christmas traditions can be an important part of the celebration of the birth of our Savior, and they remind us of that momentous event that changed the world forever. More importantly, they bring to mind the miracle of new birth He created in us when He came into our hearts, saved us from our sins, and made us children of God by the shedding of His blood on the Cross (Colossians 1:20). It is this amazing truth that enables us to say with the angels, "Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, good will toward men" (Luke 2:14)."

http://www.gotquestions.org/Christmas-traditions.html

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 subrosian
[QUOTE="3picuri3"][QUOTE="SegaGenesisfan"]

This is really directed towards my union members.dog64

I also told BR about this in another thread and he got mad at me, although he admitted that Santa has nothing to do with Jesus. Truth be told, Blackregiment and Crushmaster have no second thoughts on the way they worship, even though they are celebrating pagan holidays that their Lord probably doesn't approve.

If any Christian has a Christmas tree, Christmas hat, Santa Claus, presents, alcohol (of any kind), food, or family togetherness, they are actually paying tribute to a pagan holiday :| . I know people who won't celebrate Halloween ("because it's pagan") who celebrate Christmas - it's no different. Romans simply stuck Jesus into a holiday that was so popular they couldn't get rid of it.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 subrosian

So obscure are the beginnings of many Christmas traditions that reference books and internet sites contradict one another on the detailsblackregiment

Science, unlike some religions, is willing to accept that we can't always know the date down to the second, or the exact details of everything without more research.

However, Saturnalia, and the Winter Solstice pagan traditions are *well documented*. For example, the expression "ho" for Christmas? From the greeting "Io Saturnalia". The red and green elf hats? Traditional Roman garb, painted in bright colors for the holidays. The traditional colors? Also from the PAGAN holiday. Feasting? Pagan. Drinking? Pagan. Mystical figures? Pagan. Breaking down social c1asses and celebrating with your fellow man? Pagan.

-

Basically anything *good* about Christmas was pagan - all of the bad feelings came into it when the Christians *stole it*, and now apparently are trying to pretend it's not a fully pagan holiday. The reality is, all that crap about the "birth of Jesus" for Christmas is pure fiction. Someone took Christianity and bastardized it. If you honestly believe in the gospel WITHOUT re-interpretation - aka reading the bible word-for-word as literal, and not accepting any changes via the church or "non-God" sources, then you cannot celebrate Christmas.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

Dark_Knight6

I believe it's possible he exists, I just don't see any absolute proof that he does exist. As for the whole mocking thing, he must have a sick sense of humor if what the Bible says is true.

There are few things in life that can be absolutely proved beyond all doubt. If we are to honest to ourselves, we must examine the evidence for and against something, analyze it, and then come to a decision based on the preponderance of the evidence.

Let's look at this another way then. I don't think you would disagree with with me if I said that, based on our past discussions, even though you now state that you believe "it's possible that He(God) exists", you tend to lean towards His non-existence. If I am incorrect in this assumption, please correct me. In view of that consider this.

Whenever I give you some evidence that points to the existence of our creator God, you seem to quickly discount it. That would lead me to believe, assuming that you are leaning towards believing that He does not exist, that you likewise have examined the evidence and feel you have weightier evidence of His non-existence.

I suggest you present your evidence for His non-existence.

Also, your personal feelings regarding God's sense of humor have no bearing on the truth in reality of His existence or non-existence. I may be incorrect but that sounds more like an attempt to personally justify your leaning towards non-belief.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="123625"]Now lets compare, Jesus was horribly tortured before his death. He was hung on a cross and peirced with a spear when he died. He was placed in a tomb for THREE days. Now iI don't see how you can compare the two. Jesus should have remained dead by all accounts. He should have had not a single ounce of strength left to even leave the cave after three days without food! How can you compare the two?

You can't say "Because this happened god is real". Like I said, there is as much proof that god was an alien as he was the son of god(http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=pmWk9ttLX3I&feature=channel_page). There are thousands of unexplained things, bizzare things and ones that seem almost unnatural. It isn't proof of God.

Also I have gone 4 days without food and very little water. I survived and had strength to walk.

Alright, I'm not saying its real I'm just demonstrating why christians don't worship just any one person who claimed to ressurect him or herself. And can you give me at least one of these thousand inexplainable things that even compares to the story of Jesus's death and ressurection?

Oh, and HE WAS DEAD FOR THREE DAYS, a normal person after enduring that kind of torture and treatment should have no energy to walk out of the cave, let alone STILL BE ALIVE.

There are tons of unexplained things from the past. I can't think of them now, I'd have to look some up and really, I can't be stuffed but there are plenty of things from the past that were strange and could have been supernatural.

Secondly, it still makes no sense. How many people have witnessed UFO's? A lot, does it mean they are real? No, it's a bit of evidence but no where NEAR a case for it. To base your life, your thinking, your everything in this is ridiculous.

In 1966, Australia there was a UFO sighting with over 200 witnesses. Not a 1 or 2 but 200+. By Christian logic, this is undeniable proof that Aliens are real. Yet, many of them don't believe in them, why? It's contradicting there own reasoning.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Nor have you proved them. The burden of proof is on you, remember.Funky_Llama
so why were you asserting that morals are objective before in this thread? but regardless, some moral prepositions are simply self-evident, like "its wrong to torture babies" or "its wrong to shove jews into gas chambers".

Are they? Hooray! That means that they're objectively good independant of God's existence, thus destroying the premise of the moral argument that we need God for there to be objective morality. Thanks for doing my work for me.

No funky_llama, if objective moral values exist, they need an explanation. I assume you're a metaphysical naturalist and a physicalist, so I wonder, how would you reconcile those 2 positions with belief in a most-assuredly non-physical entity such as objective moral values?
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 blackregiment

[quote="blackregiment"]So obscure are the beginnings of many Christmas traditions that reference books and internet sites contradict one another on the detailssubrosian

Science, unlike some religions, is willing to accept that we can't always know the date down to the second, or the exact details of everything without more research.

However, Saturnalia, and the Winter Solstice pagan traditions are *well documented*. For example, the expression "ho" for Christmas? From the greeting "Io Saturnalia". The red and green elf hats? Traditional Roman garb, painted in bright colors for the holidays. The traditional colors? Also from the PAGAN holiday. Feasting? Pagan. Drinking? Pagan. Mystical figures? Pagan. Breaking down social c1asses and celebrating with your fellow man? Pagan.

-

Basically anything *good* about Christmas was pagan - all of the bad feelings came into it when the Christians *stole it*, and now apparently are trying to pretend it's not a fully pagan holiday. The reality is, all that crap about the "birth of Jesus" for Christmas is pure fiction. Someone took Christianity and bastardized it. If you honestly believe in the gospel WITHOUT re-interpretation - aka reading the bible word-for-word as literal, and not accepting any changes via the church or "non-God" sources, then you cannot celebrate Christmas.

The fallacy in you argument is that you are attempting to equate the secular world's meaning and ways of celebrating Christmas with the way Biblical Christians celebrate Christmas. Two different things.

God gave you a free will to celebrate Christmas any way you choose. If it is your desire to celebrate it as a pagan holiday so be it. Christians likewise are free to celebrate it in remembrance of the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The way you choose to celebrate it has no bearing on how Christians choose to celebrate it and the reverse is also true.

Also, I must advise you that your keystrokes telling me how I can or cannot celebrate the birth of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, wasted. I do not entertain or consider spiritual advice from those that are not followers of Christ.

Psa 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 darklord888

[QUOTE="darklord888"] Look, the thing is all this "proof" is only out of one book and that book has been disproved many, many times already. There is no proof out of that book.

blackregiment

Care to supply evidence to support your assertion that the Bible has been "disproven many, many times"?

There have been hundreds of archaeological discoveries that have confirmed people, places, and events listed in the Bible. In addition, there are hundreds of fulfilled prophecies.

Pretty much all of the old testament has been disproved. None of the new testament has been proved. Sorry for the double post but it won't let me quote 2 people.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="darklord888"] Look, the thing is all this "proof" is only out of one book and that book has been disproved many, many times already. There is no proof out of that book.

darklord888

Pretty much all of the old testament has been disproved. None of the new testament has been proved. Sorry for the double post but it won't let me quote 2 people.

So I guess you expect people to accept your "opinion" as truth. Sorry, I don't accept that premise.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 darklord888
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

blackregiment

So I guess you expect people to accept your "opinion" s truth. Sorry, I don't accept that premise.

It isn't my opinion. It's fact. The old testament is wrong. The new testament has had nothing proven. How is it my opinion?

Also the thing is you seem to think proving jesus = proof god is real. It isn't. It's like saying "L Ron Hubbard is real so Xenu is as well". Err, no, a human being is a lot different than an evil intergalactic being. Same goes for this.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

darklord888

1: How has the Old Testament been disproved? 2: The New Testament hasn't been proved? :lol::lol::lol::lol: that's is the funnay! The New Testament mentions ~60 places. Archaeology has confirmed the existence of every single one of them. There are also many leaders and administrators mentioned in Luke's Acts of the Apostles and only until recent archaeological studies have they been thought to have been fabrications. Here's another one for you, in John's Gospel, there is a pool "of bethesda" which is mentioned, and John says that it has 5 columns. Now if John was writing after 70 AD, he could not know this because Jerusalem was leveled. But recent archeological digs have actually found Bethesda and a pool and guess what? it had 5 columns, just as John's Gospel says. Last of all, the pattern of name dropping in the synoptics, the authoritative status of the twelve disciples, The stress on eyewitness testimony to Jesus' life in the early church, the comporting of names in the Gospels to known naming practices in Galilee and Palestine, the resemblance of the prologue of Luke's Gospel to Papias' prologue, and finally the Mention of Peter in the Gospel of Mark all show that eyewitnesses played a major role in transmitting the Jesus traditions up until the composition of the Gospels Darklord, when you claim that "None of the New Testament has been proved", You are absolutely dead wrong.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
To celebrate the birth and life of Jesus Christ.
redmen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 redmen12
Member since 2005 • 137 Posts

On topic,

Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus. It is a reminder of how we are all blessed and so loved by God. It doesn't matter if her was born December 25, or June 6, it is a time for people to return to their faith and reconcile with God.

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing. Has a good meaning of Christmas.

"Glory to the newborn king

peace on earth, and mercy mild.

God and sinners reconcilled."

That is the true meanig of Christmas.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 darklord888

danwallacefan

1: How has the Old Testament been disproved?

Tons.

The earth is round.
The universe is larger than the Solar system.
The earth goes around the sun.
The universe is at least 13.7 billion years old.
The earth is also very old. Species were not created.
There was no "Great Flood", because there isn't enough water in the world to flood the world.
There was no long day for Joshua.
You cannot survive in the digestive system of a whale.
The first humans were not Adam and Eve. Evolution is real.
There is no such thing as magic. God would not be a jealous, hate filled, vengeful being who kills people when he isn't happy. I could go on forever.

The new testament have have some evidence but a few ruins and landmarks isn't proof of gods work.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="darklord888"] Pretty much all of the old testament has been disproved. None of the new testament has been proved. Sorry for the double post but it won't let me quote 2 people.darklord888

So I guess you expect people to accept your "opinion" s truth. Sorry, I don't accept that premise.

It isn't my opinion. It's fact. The old testament is wrong. The new testament has had nothing proven. How is it my opinion?

Also the thing is you seem to think proving jesus = proof god is real. It isn't. It's like saying "L Ron Hubbard is real so Xenu is as well". Err, no, a human being is a lot different than an evil intergalactic being. Same goes for this.

I deal in evidence, not personl opinion. Here's a "few" things for you to consider. Enjoy!

Archeological discoveries that confirm the Bible

Assembled by Black Regiment

Gabriel's Vision Stone Tablet: Prophecy of the Coming Messiah Jesus?

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/gabriels_vision_stone.html

Seal of Gedaliah, Son of Pashur, Confirms the Existence of One of Jeremiah's Persecutors

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/seal_of_gedaliah.html

No Proof for the Exodus?

The potential role of Thera and 14C dating of the destruction of Jericho

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/thera.html

Hezekiah's Siloam Tunnel Confirmed Through C-14 Dating

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/hezekiah.html

Old Testament Dates of Edomite Kingdom Confirmed by Archeological Find

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/edom.html

Old Testament Dates of Solomon and Egyptian King Shishak Confirmed by 14C Dates from Tel Rehov

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/tel-rehov.html

Carbon-14 Dating of Copper Smelting in Edom (Jordan) Confirm Biblical Date of King Solomon's Kingdom

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/solomon_copper_ruins.html

Early (10th Century B.C.) Evidence of Written Hebrew Language at Tel Zayit, Israel

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/tel-zayit.html

Cuneiform Receipt from King Nebuchadnezzar's Court Confirms Detail of Old Testament Book of Jeremiah

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/cuneiform_confirms_jeremiah.html

Early (3rd Century A.D.) Christian Church at Megiddo, Israel

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/megiddo_church.html

Seal of Queen Jezebel Confirms Her Existence from the Old Testament Books of the Kings

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/seal_of_jezebel.html

Fallen Empires

http://www.bible-history.com/empires/

The Book of Acts and Archaeology

http://www.apologeticsinfo.org/papers/actsarcheology.html

Archaeology and the New Testament

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/arch-nt.html

IS THE BIBLE TRUE?

Extraordinary insights from archaeology and history

http://www.uhcg.org/news/is-bible-true.html

Written In Stone: Archeology & The Bible

http://everystudentpromotion.com/wires/archaeology.html

ISRAEL'S ORIGINS

http://www.ancientdays.net/israelsorigins.htm

Archaeological Evidence Supporting the Bible

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/archaeological-evidence-supporting-the-bible.html

Tyre and the Bible

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/tyre-and-the-bible.html

Petra and the Bible

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/petra-and-the-bible.html

Egypt and the Bible

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/egypt-and-the-bible.html

Babylon and the Bible

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/babylon-and-the-bible.html

The walls of Jericho

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v21/i2/jericho.asp

What is the importance of the Dead Sea Scrolls?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a023.html

Searching for Moses

http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v15/i1/moses.asp

The James claims

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v25/i2/james.asp

False History—'out with David and Solomon!'

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v24/i4/history.asp

Does Archaeology Support the Bible? a wealth of information

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/does-archaeology-support-the-bible

Have the burial sites of any people in the Bible been found?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a026.html

Have any likenesses been found of persons named in the Bible?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a010.html

Have any man-made structures mentioned in the Bible been unearthed by archaeologists?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a005.html

Is there any confirmation of Biblical events from written sources outside the Bible?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a009.html

Is there archaeological evidence of the Tower of Babel?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a021.html

Bible Believer's Archaeology Book #1 a wealth of information

http://www.biblehistory.net/bible_history.htm

Bible Believer's Archaeology Book #2 a wealth of information

http://www.biblehistory.net/biblical_archaeology.htm

Video on the Red Sea Crossing

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/red_sea_crossing.htm

Video on Sodom and Gomorrah

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/sodom_&_gomorrah.htm

Video on Mount Sinai

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/mt__sinai_found.htm

Video on Noah's Ark

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/noah-index.htm

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 blackregiment
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="darklord888"] Pretty much all of the old testament has been disproved. None of the new testament has been proved. Sorry for the double post but it won't let me quote 2 people.darklord888

Tons.

The earth is round.
There was no "Great Flood", because there isn't enough water in the world to flood the world.
There is no such thing as magic. God would not be a jealous, hate filled, vengeful being who kills people when he isn't happy. I could go on forever.

The new testament have have some evidence but a few ruins and landmarks isn't proof of gods work.

More opinions I see. I have to get ready for Church but I will address the inaccuracies of your opinions later.

redmen12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 redmen12
Member since 2005 • 137 Posts

blackregiment

I deal in evidence, not personl opinion. Here's a "few" things for you to consider. Enjoy!

Archeological discoveries that confirm the Bible

Assembled by Black Regiment

Gabriel's Vision Stone Tablet: Prophecy of the Coming Messiah Jesus?

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/gabriels_vision_stone.html

Seal of Gedaliah, Son of Pashur, Confirms the Existence of One of Jeremiah's Persecutors

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/seal_of_gedaliah.html

No Proof for the Exodus?

The potential role of Thera and 14C dating of the destruction of Jericho

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/thera.html

Hezekiah's Siloam Tunnel Confirmed Through C-14 Dating

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/hezekiah.html

Old Testament Dates of Edomite Kingdom Confirmed by Archeological Find

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/edom.html

Old Testament Dates of Solomon and Egyptian King Shishak Confirmed by 14C Dates from Tel Rehov

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/tel-rehov.html

Carbon-14 Dating of Copper Smelting in Edom (Jordan) Confirm Biblical Date of King Solomon's Kingdom

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/solomon_copper_ruins.html

Early (10th Century B.C.) Evidence of Written Hebrew Language at Tel Zayit, Israel

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/tel-zayit.html

Cuneiform Receipt from King Nebuchadnezzar's Court Confirms Detail of Old Testament Book of Jeremiah

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/cuneiform_confirms_jeremiah.html

Early (3rd Century A.D.) Christian Church at Megiddo, Israel

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/megiddo_church.html

Seal of Queen Jezebel Confirms Her Existence from the Old Testament Books of the Kings

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/seal_of_jezebel.html

Fallen Empires

http://www.bible-history.com/empires/

The Book of Acts and Archaeology

http://www.apologeticsinfo.org/papers/actsarcheology.html

Archaeology and the New Testament

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/arch-nt.html

IS THE BIBLE TRUE?

Extraordinary insights from archaeology and history

http://www.uhcg.org/news/is-bible-true.html

Written In Stone: Archeology & The Bible

http://everystudentpromotion.com/wires/archaeology.html

ISRAEL'S ORIGINS

http://www.ancientdays.net/israelsorigins.htm

Archaeological Evidence Supporting the Bible

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/archaeological-evidence-supporting-the-bible.html

Tyre and the Bible

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/tyre-and-the-bible.html

Petra and the Bible

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/petra-and-the-bible.html

Egypt and the Bible

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/egypt-and-the-bible.html

Babylon and the Bible

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/babylon-and-the-bible.html

The walls of Jericho

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v21/i2/jericho.asp

What is the importance of the Dead Sea Scrolls?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a023.html

Searching for Moses

http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v15/i1/moses.asp

The James claims

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v25/i2/james.asp

False History-'out with David and Solomon!'

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v24/i4/history.asp

Does Archaeology Support the Bible? a wealth of information

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/does-archaeology-support-the-bible

Have the burial sites of any people in the Bible been found?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a026.html

Have any likenesses been found of persons named in the Bible?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a010.html

Have any man-made structures mentioned in the Bible been unearthed by archaeologists?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a005.html

Is there any confirmation of Biblical events from written sources outside the Bible?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a009.html

Is there archaeological evidence of the Tower of Babel?

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a021.html

Bible Believer's Archaeology Book #1 a wealth of information

http://www.biblehistory.net/bible_history.htm

Bible Believer's Archaeology Book #2 a wealth of information

http://www.biblehistory.net/biblical_archaeology.htm

Video on the Red Sea Crossing

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/red_sea_crossing.htm

Video on Sodom and Gomorrah

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/sodom_&_gomorrah.htm

Video on Mount Sinai

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/mt__sinai_found.htm

Video on Noah's Ark

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/noah-index.htm

blackregiment, we as Christians have no power to convert someone, that is the Holy Spirit's job. The most we can do is introduce someone to Christ and pray for them.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 darklord888
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"] 1: How has the Old Testament been disproved? blackregiment

Tons.

The earth is round.

More opinions I see. I have to get ready for Church but I will address the inaccuracies of your opinions later.

The earth is round. - Confirmed
The universe is larger than the Solar system. - Confirmed
The earth goes around the sun. - Confirmed
The universe is at least 13.7 billion years old. - Confirmed
The earth is also very old. Species were not created. - Cornfirmed
There was no "Great Flood", because there isn't enough water in the world to flood the world. - Confirmed
There was no long day for Joshua. - Confirmed
You cannot survive in the digestive system of a whale. - Confirmed
The first humans were not Adam and Eve. - Confirmed
Evolution is real. - Confirmed(even Church of England admitted this)
There is no such thing as magic. - Confirmed
God would not be a jealous, hate filled, vengeful being who kills people when he isn't happy. - Thats upto you but I can't see him being a murderer, if he was, why worship him anyway? He'd be as bad as the devil then.

:lol: How are they opinions? The Earth is round? The universe isn't 13.7b years old? The Earth doesn't go around the sun? Earth isn't billions of years old? Sorry, all this stuff is 100% confirmed.

espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#248 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="darklord888"] Pretty much all of the old testament has been disproved. None of the new testament has been proved. Sorry for the double post but it won't let me quote 2 people.darklord888

Tons.

The earth is round.

Why do you bother, darklord? You're never going to convince someone who is willing to believe in the literal events of the Old Testament. Anybody who does believe such things has obviously already turned their back on science and rationality.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

If any Christian has a Christmas tree, Christmas hat, Santa Claus, presents, alcohol (of any kind), food, or family togetherness, they are actually paying tribute to a pagan holiday :| . I know people who won't celebrate Halloween ("because it's pagan") who celebrate Christmas - it's no different. Romans simply stuck Jesus into a holiday that was so popular they couldn't get rid of it.subrosian

i know Christians that refuse to practice Xmas because of all of this - which is why I was curious to see how BR and CM celebrate being self-professed 'right wing extremist baptists' with a flair for literal interpretation of the bible.

instead of answering he goes and puts the questions to 'gotquestions.org' to find an obscure answer to a question that has been answered by biblical scholars and religious studies students. apparently obscurity is an excuse to practice pagan beliefs.

even if there are differing answers on the pagan origins (which there is little differentiation in fact. nearly all acknowledge Saturnalia - of which there is plenty of record - ALL of them reference pagan activities). so just because it isn't definitive as to which ones are represented intentionally is no excuse to practice the current celebration.

add to this that astronomers recently pinned Jesus birth to June 17th based on astronomical observations in the bible (yes, Christian astronomers) and the pickle gets all the more interesting. i will be paying much attention to this thread as i find this contradiction fascinating. i find their unwillingness to confront the issue all the more fascinating. instead they just turn the argument to things they have a 'cut/paste' response they can drop in to the 'reply' box.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 darklord888
Why do you bother, darklord? You're never going to convince someone who is willing to believe in the literal events of the Old Testament. Anybody who does believe such things has obviously already turned their back on science and rationality. espoac

It annoys me seeing the brainwashing religion does. I'm also interested in seeing the evidence of the world bring flat. ;)