Was Bin Laden a proper Muslim?

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spacesheikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 spacesheikh
Member since 2010 • 662 Posts

If your beliefs are consistent with the core values of a religion, you can receive a burial of that religion. Many Muslims thought that OBL should be buried in an Islamic manner. Does that mean that OBL's beliefs were consistent with Islamic teachings?

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
Oh crap. Good job TC, we're in for a 100 page thread. :P And I'm pretty sure the reason for the sea burial was because they didnt want him to be made a martyr and what not
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
Wasn't it the US who gave him the burial?
spacesheikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 spacesheikh
Wasn't it the US who gave him the burial?forgot_it
Yes. Do you think they shouldn't have? Do you think Muslim people would be happy if they didn't?
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
Yeah although it wasn't really a burial at all. Dumping someone in the sea is not my or I think anyone's idea of a proper burial.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

I have no idea - nobody does lol.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
Yeah although it wasn't really a burial at all. Dumping someone in the sea is not my or I think anyone's idea of a proper burial. scar-hawk
Some people request that....
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
Yes he was Muslim. Too Muslim.
spacesheikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 spacesheikh
Yeah although it wasn't really a burial at all. Dumping someone in the sea is not my or I think anyone's idea of a proper burial. scar-hawk
They gave him an Islamic ritual. They cleaned and shaved his body and prayed over it.
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
[QUOTE="scar-hawk"]Yeah although it wasn't really a burial at all. Dumping someone in the sea is not my or I think anyone's idea of a proper burial. LJS9502_basic

I see. Well, according to Islamic traditions, you're supposed to be buried in the ground.
JustusCF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JustusCF
Member since 2009 • 1050 Posts

Running a counterinsurgency, it was in our national interest to give Bin Laden a proper burial... I don't think it was for Bin Laden personally. In giving him a proper burial, our intelligence officials recognize that some in the ME see Bin Laden as a proper Muslim, to a significant extent.

Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="scar-hawk"]Yeah although it wasn't really a burial at all. Dumping someone in the sea is not my or I think anyone's idea of a proper burial. scar-hawk

I see. Well, according to Islamic traditions, you're supposed to be buried in the ground.

The tradition was to be buried within 24 hours. They buried him at sea since no country would take him and didn't want his grave to become a shrine to followers.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Yes, he was a proper 'to the letter of the koran' muslim.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Is there any proof one way or the other?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="scar-hawk"]Yeah although it wasn't really a burial at all. Dumping someone in the sea is not my or I think anyone's idea of a proper burial. spacesheikh
They gave him an Islamic ritual. They cleaned and shaved his body and prayed over it.

prayed over it? Gimmie a break....lol, I'm really sure seals and sailors prayed over the body of a guy they'd love to spit on and burn
spacesheikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 spacesheikh

Running a counterinsurgency, it was in our national interest to give Bin Laden a proper burial... I don't think it was for Bin Laden personally. In giving him a proper burial, our intelligence officials recognize that some in the ME see Bin Laden as a proper Muslim.

JustusCF

That doesn't seem right. How can some Muslims consider a mass murderer a proper Muslim? Unless...

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
No, the muslim religion didn't promote any of the things he did. People have kinda destroyed the image of that religion which actually meant to bring peace.
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
You think that's the actual rationale behind it? :lol: They said that to lessen the tension with the Muslim community, when in actuality they didn't want a permanent burial place so as to discourage a "shrine."
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
he wasnt a good muslim, but he was part of the muslim faith just like there are christian extremists that bomb abortion clinics.
spacesheikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 spacesheikh
You think that's the actual rationale behind it? :lol: They said that to lessen the tension with the Muslim community, when in actuality they didn't want a permanent burial place so as to discourage a "shrine."Maniacc1
Yeah but if Muslim people thought OBL was an embarrassment to Islam, they wouldn't care what burial he would get. After all, he doesn't reflect Islam right? But it turns out that many Muslims wanted him to be buried like a proper Muslim. In their view, his beliefs were consistent with Islam.
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maniacc1

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"]You think that's the actual rationale behind it? :lol: They said that to lessen the tension with the Muslim community, when in actuality they didn't want a permanent burial place so as to discourage a "shrine."spacesheikh
Yeah but if Muslim people thought OBL was an embarrassment to Islam, they wouldn't care what burial he would get. After all, he doesn't reflect Islam right? But it turns out that many Muslims wanted him to be buried like a proper Muslim. In their view, his beliefs were consistent with Islam.

They considered him a "Muslim" in faith, but I doubt a Muslim in practice. We consider Westboro Baptist Church members Christians, but we don't associate their practice as true Christianity. I'm not saying Muslims would have even gotten mad over it, (there's a good chance they did think he was a wack job) I'm just trying to make an argument from the U.S. perspective which knows squat about other cultures.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

Wasn't he more of a muslim extremist?

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

"was" still no realproof he's dead/

JustusCF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JustusCF
Member since 2009 • 1050 Posts

[QUOTE="JustusCF"]

Running a counterinsurgency, it was in our national interest to give Bin Laden a proper burial... I don't think it was for Bin Laden personally. In giving him a proper burial, our intelligence officials recognize that some in the ME see Bin Laden as a proper Muslim.

spacesheikh

That doesn't seem right. How can some Muslims consider a mass murderer a proper Muslim? Unless...

Well, there's the knee-deep radicals who will never change, these are the propaganda pushers. Then there's the common Jihadist who could have his mind changed by the US's gesture of goodwill. If there's just one spark, it could light the whole person... At least, that's what people who are running the CI hope for.

spacesheikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 spacesheikh

[QUOTE="spacesheikh"][QUOTE="Maniacc1"]You think that's the actual rationale behind it? :lol: They said that to lessen the tension with the Muslim community, when in actuality they didn't want a permanent burial place so as to discourage a "shrine."Maniacc1

They considered him a "Muslim" in faith, but I doubt a Muslim in practice. We consider Westboro Baptist Church members Christians, but we don't associate their practice as true Christianity. I'm not saying Muslims would have even gotten mad over it, (there's a good chance they did thing he was a wack job) I'm just trying to make an argument from the U.S. perspective which knows squat about other cultures.

WBC are not members of any notable church. They would not receive a Catholic burial, or a Orthodox burial, or even a Baptist burial. They are rejected by every notable denomination. Westboro Baptist Church members would receive a Westboro Baptist Church burial, which is entirely their own.

On the other hand, Osama Bin Laden received a burial according to the traditions of Sunni Islam, which every "good" Sunni Muslim receives. See the difference?

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Maniacc1

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"][QUOTE="spacesheikh"] Yeah but if Muslim people thought OBL was an embarrassment to Islam, they wouldn't care what burial he would get. After all, he doesn't reflect Islam right? But it turns out that many Muslims wanted him to be buried like a proper Muslim. In their view, his beliefs were consistent with Islam.spacesheikh

They considered him a "Muslim" in faith, but I doubt a Muslim in practice. We consider Westboro Baptist Church members Christians, but we don't associate their practice as true Christianity. I'm not saying Muslims would have even gotten mad over it, (there's a good chance they did thing he was a wack job) I'm just trying to make an argument from the U.S. perspective which knows squat about other cultures.

WBC are not members of any notable church. They would not receive a Catholic burial, or a Orthodox burial, or even a Baptist burial. They are rejected by every notable denomination. Westboro Baptist Church members would receive a Westboro Baptist Church burial, which is entirely their own.

On the other hand, Osama Bin Laden received a burial according to the traditions of Sunni Islam, which every "good" Sunni Muslim receives. See the difference?

To be fair, we don't know what kind of burial he received. They say they followed traditions, when in reality they could have punted his body into the ocean for all we know.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="spacesheikh"][QUOTE="Maniacc1"]You think that's the actual rationale behind it? :lol: They said that to lessen the tension with the Muslim community, when in actuality they didn't want a permanent burial place so as to discourage a "shrine."Maniacc1

They considered him a "Muslim" in faith, but I doubt a Muslim in practice. We consider Westboro Baptist Church members Christians, but we don't associate their practice as true Christianity. I'm not saying Muslims would have even gotten mad over it, (there's a good chance they did think he was a wack job) I'm just trying to make an argument from the U.S. perspective which knows squat about other cultures.

Do we consider them Christians when they don't practice Christianity? Since you had to drag Christianity into this thread. What they call themselves doesn't mean we agree they are....
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

sAndroid17

I see no reason why they would lie

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Maniacc1
[QUOTE="Maniacc1"]

[QUOTE="spacesheikh"] Yeah but if Muslim people thought OBL was an embarrassment to Islam, they wouldn't care what burial he would get. After all, he doesn't reflect Islam right? But it turns out that many Muslims wanted him to be buried like a proper Muslim. In their view, his beliefs were consistent with Islam.LJS9502_basic

Do we consider them Christians when they don't practice Christianity? Since you had to drag Christianity into this thread. What they call themselves doesn't mean we agree they are....

That's exactly what I was trying to say. Just because OBL called himself a Muslim doesn't mean true Muslim's agree he was. And I didn't purposely bring Christianity into the thread, promise :P
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Well he was a Muslim. Whether or not he was a "proper" Muslim would be kind of subjective, people will start using "No true Scotsman".
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts
His beliefs maybe so. His actions sure as he'll didn't. Unless of course Muslims believe in killing thousands of innocents. Pretty sure thats not the case though.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts

sAndroid17
US says he's dead. Pakistan says he's dead. Al-Qaeda says he's dead. Taliban says he's dead. His daughter says she saw US troops kill him. He's dead. In response to OP, I don't honestly know enough about Islam to know if he was a "proper" Muslim or not.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
he was to the X-treme
spacesheikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 spacesheikh

[QUOTE="spacesheikh"]

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"] They considered him a "Muslim" in faith, but I doubt a Muslim in practice. We consider Westboro Baptist Church members Christians, but we don't associate their practice as true Christianity. I'm not saying Muslims would have even gotten mad over it, (there's a good chance they did thing he was a wack job) I'm just trying to make an argument from the U.S. perspective which knows squat about other cultures. Maniacc1

To be fair, we don't know what kind of burial he received. They say they followed traditions, when in reality they could have punted his body into the ocean for all we know.

The fate of his corpse is not the point. The point is that Muslims would raise hell if he was buried disrespectfully. However, you don't see Christians tripping over themselves to ensure that WBC members are buried according to Christian traditions. Neither Catholics, nor protestants, nor orthodox would claim the bodies of WBC members.

Many Muslims on the other hand would be grossly offended if OBL wasn't buried according to Sunni Islam.

Avatar image for Darkwanderer000
Darkwanderer000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Darkwanderer000
Member since 2011 • 213 Posts

Bin Laden killed many, many Muslims and flagrantly defied Islamic rules of war (which forbids killing civilians, by the way). No, he was not a good Muslim because he ignored important statutes of the religion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

To be fair, we don't know what kind of burial he received. They say they followed traditions, when in reality they could have punted his body into the ocean for all we know. Maniacc1
Undoubtedly they had Muslim officials officiate over the burial.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
[QUOTE="Colin1192"]

[QUOTE="sAndroid17"]

the government lie :o never!
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Maniacc1

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"][QUOTE="spacesheikh"] WBC are not members of any notable church. They would not receive a Catholic burial, or a Orthodox burial, or even a Baptist burial. They are rejected by every notable denomination. Westboro Baptist Church members would receive a Westboro Baptist Church burial, which is entirely their own.

spacesheikh

The fate of his corpse is not the point. The point is that Muslims would raise hell if he was buried disrespectfully. However, you don't see Christians tripping over themselves to ensure that WBC members are buried according to Christian traditions. Neither Catholics, nor protestants, nor orthodox would claim the bodies of WBC members.

Many Muslims on the other hand would be grossly offended if OBL wasn't buried according to Sunni Islam.

How do we know Muslims would be grossly offended? Just a wild guess? :P
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

Does the KKK represent proper Christianity? 8)

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Colin1192

[QUOTE="Colin1192"]

[QUOTE="sAndroid17"]

sAndroid17

the government lie :o never!

i know... thats what im saying >__>

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Colin1192

Mystic-G

in my experience... yes

spacesheikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 spacesheikh

[QUOTE="spacesheikh"]

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"] To be fair, we don't know what kind of burial he received. They say they followed traditions, when in reality they could have punted his body into the ocean for all we know. Maniacc1

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jG7UJ7x8ozawcWS0Y1tE6OChe3Jw?docId=7079d8b79ab04465a1030dfaf9e04510

Look buddy if you don't read the news then I can't help you.

OBL was buried respectfully and yet Muslim Clerics still find something to complain about.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Im pretty sure he wasnt....
spacesheikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 spacesheikh

Mystic-G

Would Christians threaten violence if KKK members get thrown in the ocean?

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Maniacc1

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"][QUOTE="spacesheikh"]

spacesheikh

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jG7UJ7x8ozawcWS0Y1tE6OChe3Jw?docId=7079d8b79ab04465a1030dfaf9e04510

OBL was buried respectfully and yet Muslim Clerics still find something to complain about.

People will always find something to complain about. I still don't get the point of this argument. OBL killed Muslims. He killed a lot of people. That doesn't coincide with Islam. Period. What exactly are you trying to insinuate here?
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"][QUOTE="spacesheikh"]

spacesheikh

I'm still failing to see how a handful of clerics in Cairo = the whole religious base but, even then, their position is that he wasn't buried in the traditional way as noted by Islamic texts. Someone pointed out the WBC and, well, I have to say, if WBC members were buried in traditionally Islamic or Pagan way, there'd be the same relative few up in arms equal to the same relative few that were 'angered' by this... which is to say a negligible amount.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

spacesheikh

That's precisely the point I'm making here.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

spacesheikh

A few who believe what they believe? Yeah. The whole religious base? Nope. And, last I checked, there's not over a billion Muslims or anywhere near that number (or even a good fraction of a percentage of that number) up in arms. So really, what ARE you getting at?
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Colin1192

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

spacesheikh

with those robes they would be weighed down and drown. Which is supposed to be a very painful way to die. They best be angry