So I left someone to walk home in the snow

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

...because he wouldn't wear a seat-belt. Am I dick or what?

lol

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Not really, since you could be held liable if he got hurt.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I would have gotten them lost first...

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 br0kenrabbit

@korvus said:

Touche

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

He wouldn't even do that BS thing where they tuck the shoulder belt under their arm?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56096 Posts

Not at all. It's your car and you call the shots and like airshocker said, you'll be responsible and since it's snowing, that's even more dangerous if you get into a crash.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 br0kenrabbit

@ad1x2 said:

He wouldn't even do that BS thing where they tuck the shoulder belt under their arm?

**** no. But he wouldn't wear one at all because his uncles cousins best friends girlfriends dad was in a wreck and they said he would have died if he had a seat-belt on. lol

I don't really know the guy anyway, he's a friend of the friend I picked up.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

whoa i almost cut myself on that EDGE

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

that's cold

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

He wants a ride? He follows the driver's rules. Period.

@Storm_Marine said:

that's cold

Literally...lol

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Who doesn't wear a seatbelt...

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

So like...did you guys have a prolonged argument about him not wearing a seatbelt and you finally just said, "alright just get out?" Not saying you're wrong for it I just can't imagine that actually happening.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@korvus said:

I wonder how many people have gotten away with murder by just driving their victims out to some remote and deadly location (such as a desert or a bitterly cold rural location), just pushing them out and then letting the elements finish the job.

And, of course, there's the ending of The Shining ...

(Obvious spoiler alert)

Loading Video...

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@LZ71 said:

So like...did you guys have a prolonged argument about him not wearing a seatbelt and you finally just said, "alright just get out?" Not saying you're wrong for it I just can't imagine that actually happening.

Not prolonged, he got in and I sat there while everyone buckled in as usual, but he didn't so I kept sitting there looking at him in the rear view. Finally he asked me what's up and I told him I was waiting on him to buckle up. He said he doesn't wear seat-belts since some relative of his was in an accident and 'would have died had they had a seat-belt on'. So I told him he'd have to find another ride, he said "whatever, dude" and got out.

Then I left.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

That would be your ticket, not his. i dont see that as a dick move.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Who doesn't wear a seat belt? Hell, most cars have flashing icons and beeping sounds if you're not buckled in.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

@LZ71 said:

Not prolonged, he got in and I sat there while everyone buckled in as usual, but he didn't so I kept sitting there looking at him in the rear view. Finally he asked me what's up and I told him I was waiting on him to buckle up. He said he doesn't wear seat-belts since some relative of his was in an accident and 'would have died had they had a seat-belt on'. So I told him he'd have to find another ride, he said "whatever, dude" and got out.

Then I left.

That's hilarious.

I mean you're totally right to have done that, I would've probably done the same thing, but it's funny he cared so much about it he would rather walk in the snow.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 br0kenrabbit

@LZ71 said:

That's hilarious.

I mean you're totally right to have done that, I would've probably done the same thing, but it's funny he cared so much about it he would rather walk in the snow.

20-somethings...always standing on principle.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

@LZ71 said:

Then I left.

I'm trying to think of an incident where it is better to not have your seat-belt on.

I mean was the guy ejected through the windshield, and then the car blew up, movie style? I guess I'm just not seeing it.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 br0kenrabbit

@StrifeDelivery said:

I'm trying to think of an incident where it is better to not have your seat-belt on.

I mean was the guy ejected through the windshield, and then the car blew up, movie style? I guess I'm just not seeing it.

Dunno, didn't inquire.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: He would be the dick for refusing to wear a seat belt...

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Umm ya your a asshole. Who the **** kicks someone out for not having on a belt? In my country it's his ticket not yours so your the one being the fucking dick. Hell for that kind of shit, I wouldn't be willing to do anything for that person ever again. That's some go **** yourself and don't show up at my party kind of shit. But if you didn't know him, who gives a shit.

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

This sounds like something a buddy of mine would do. He's 21, but he has many, MANY friend of a friend type stories and uses them as excuses to do shtuff like the yahoo in your car did.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@ribstaylor1 said:

Umm ya your a asshole. Who the **** kicks someone out for not having on a belt? In my country it's his ticket not yours so your the one being the fucking dick. Hell for that kind of shit, I wouldn't be willing to do anything for that person ever again. That's some go **** yourself and don't show up at my party kind of shit. But if you didn't know him, who gives a shit.

Are you dumb? What do you think is going to happen inside the car if we hit something? Do you think his flailing body is going to ignore our bodies?

Dumbass.

Loading Video...

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ribstaylor1

@br0kenrabbit: Don't get in a fucking accident. Seat belts kill often when worn. So does not wearing one. Either way getting behind the wheel is a risk you agreed to take as a driver. All you can do is not crash your fucking car and hope no one else is dumb enough to crash into you. That guy depending on where he was could get frost bite. Get hit by a car. Freeze to death. I see far more problems with leaving him in the freezing cold to walk then him not wearing a belt. Though true conditions weren't given, in -24 weather that is currently what we have here at night you could kill someone for leaving them outside to walk home so I still think the guy would be an asshole if the conditions where the same as here.

If it was just brisk weather with some slight snow, and as said he didn't know him. Then who really gives a shit. But I still don't think leaving a man in the cold to walk home because he didn't put on a belt is a little extreme.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

@br0kenrabbit: Don't get in a fucking accident. Seat belts kill often when worn. So does not wearing one. Either way getting behind the wheel is a risk you agreed to take as a driver. All you can do is not crash your fucking car and hope no one else is dumb enough to crash into you. That guy depending on where he was could get frost bite. Get hit by a car. Freeze to death. I see far more problems with leaving him in the freezing cold to walk then him not wearing a belt. Though true conditions weren't given, in -24 weather that is currently what we have here at night you could kill someone for leaving them outside to walk home so I still think the guy would be an asshole if the conditions where the same as here.

If it was just brisk weather with some slight snow, and as said he didn't know him. Then who really gives a shit. But I still don't think leaving a man in the cold to walk home because he didn't put on a belt is a little extreme.

Regardless of how bad the weather might have been, the passenger thaought that being exposed to the weather was preferable to just wearing the damn seat belt. If the person who's getting booted out into the weather thinks that the weather is such a small issue, then why the hell should the driver worry over it?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@MrGeezer: Well I've had a friend burn to death because of a seat belt. Maybe he's had a similar experience? He could have chosen that option because to him it was better to endure the cold then to take on the fear implanted in him of dying a horrible fiery death. I realize I'm fishing hard there but there was obviously a reason he didn't want to wear it, in which case neither side would be right 100% correct. The passenger is wrong for not wanting to where it, and the driver is wrong for not taking into account any reasons the passenger might have for not wanting to where it, and (if -24) kicking him out, because that's to cold to walk kilometers in.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@ribstaylor1 said:

@MrGeezer: Well I've had a friend burn to death because of a seat belt. Maybe he's had a similar experience? He could have chosen that option because to him it was better to endure the cold then to take on the fear implanted in him of dying a horrible fiery death. I realize I'm fishing hard there but there was obviously a reason he didn't want to wear it, in which case neither side would be right 100% correct. The passenger is wrong for not wanting to where it, and the driver is wrong for not taking into account any reasons the passenger might have for not wanting to where it, and (if -24) kicking him out, because that's to cold to walk kilometers in.

Why not extrapolate that to "I had a friend burn to death in a car, so I won't get in a car"? Because it's stupid, that's why. Right? So is your assertion above.

My vehicle. My rules. NO ONE rides in my car without PROPERLY wearing their seat-belt. Don't even ask if you can't because the answer is GTFO.

I don't have time to deal with a smart-ass kid and I'm not going to. The ride was on offer if he followed my rules, he didn't want to so the offer was rescinded.

The onus was on him, not me.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ribstaylor1

@br0kenrabbit: Well because it was the seat belt that got him killed. Everyone else got out because their belts didn't melt..

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 br0kenrabbit

@ribstaylor1 said:

@br0kenrabbit: Well because it was the seat belt that got him killed. Everyone else got out because their belts didn't melt..

So the seat-belt exploded? I'm guessing it was the car that was on fire.

Besides, how stupid does this sound: "I'm not going to jump with a parachute because sometimes they malfunction." Duuuurrrr......

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ribstaylor1

So many reasons beyond burning to death to not wear a belt. Your car so it doesn't matter in this instance.

Though generally the statement "I'm not going to jump with a parachute because sometimes they malfunction" is true. It's why you jump with two.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 br0kenrabbit

@ribstaylor1 said:

Though generally the statement "I'm not going to jump with a parachute because sometimes they malfunction" is true. It's why you jump with two.

I'm a skyjumper, and we still call it a single shoot because they're both in the same pack.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ribstaylor1

Only done it once so as far as I knew it was two shoots. Awesome shit though. Don't think I'll be doing it again once was enough.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 br0kenrabbit

@ribstaylor1 said:

Only done it once so as far as I knew it was two shoots. Awesome shit though. Don't think I'll be doing it again once was enough.

If you've only done it once, then you did it tandem.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ribstaylor1

Obviously. I'd be fucking crazy to do it my first time alone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

The opinions of the passenger are irrelevant. This isn't a political debate, it's not a case of "you think this and I think this, but lets ignore our differences and get along" Not wearing a seat belt not only puts your own life at risk but the lives of everyone around you. To say that it's more dangerous to wear one than to not wear one is incredibly stupid.

I'm ok with people who smoke, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let you smoke in my house.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#38 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

@StrifeDelivery said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@LZ71 said:

Then I left.

lolll this convo

thank you vivid imagination for always showing me which medium good stories should be portrayed with

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

Why not extrapolate that to "I had a friend burn to death in a car, so I won't get in a car"? Because it's stupid, that's why. Right? So is your assertion above.

My vehicle. My rules. NO ONE rides in my car without PROPERLY wearing their seat-belt. Don't even ask if you can't because the answer is GTFO.

I don't have time to deal with a smart-ass kid and I'm not going to. The ride was on offer if he followed my rules, he didn't want to so the offer was rescinded.

The onus was on him, not me.

Yeah, this. Now, to be fair, even though you had no obligation to give the dude a ride AT ALL, you might be an asshole if your request was unreasonable. Like, if you had said "you either blow me or else I leave you here to die in the freezing snow", then that kind of makes you an asshole. In that case, you're using the threat of death as leverage to get something that the person would not otherwise reasonably be expected to give you. But in your ACTUAL case, that's not what happened. You made nothing other than the 100% reasonable claim of "please use a seat belt or you can't ride in my car." The only way to establish that as a dick move is to establish that the demand was unreasonable. And if the only way to establish the demand as unreasonable is to invoke the remote possibility of something like burning to death because of a seat belt, then that's an instant fail. Yes, that's POSSIBLE, but it's far more likely that someone's gonna die due to the initial inmpact. Which is exactly why you're demanding that the dude make the tiny sacrifice of wearing a seatbelt.

Or let's put it this way: you and the passenger were both concerned about what would happen in the event of an accident. Even neglecting the fact that it was YOUR CAR and you were under no obligation to give the dude a ride at all, You were trying to avoid Scenario A (this dude, by not wearing a seat belt, could kill or maim either himself, me, or one of the other passengers). Meanwhile, he was trying to avoid Scenario B (we get into an accident, and then I burn to death solely because I was wearing a seat belt). The ONLY way to justify Scenario A as being unreasonable is to invoke Scenario B, and Scenario B is FAR more unlikely to occur than Scenario A. Demanding that he wear a seat belt is ABSOLUTELY reasonable, and the only possible downside is something that is by comparison FAR less likely to happen than if he DIDN'T just wear the damn seat belt. If THAT'S all it takes for him to choose standing in the cold instead of riding in a car, then he must not consider the cold to be that freaking bad. And if he's not that concerned about the cold, why should you be?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@davillain-:

You should change that $11.99 to "we want bewbs" in your sig.(Like freedom and wolverine)

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

No.

Though it does depend on how far he has to walk, how cold it is and if he's wearing enough clothes to stay warm.
If he get hypotermia or worse then you're partially responsible.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 br0kenrabbit

@Treflis said:

No.

Though it does depend on how far he has to walk, how cold it is and if he's wearing enough clothes to stay warm.

Umm...no.

If I want to board an aircraft with a gun, Delta isn't responsible for me missing the flight.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Treflis

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Treflis said:

No.

Umm...no.

If I want to board an aircraft with a gun, Delta isn't responsible for me missing the flight.

Are you actually trying to draw a parallell between someone refusing to put on a seatbelt and someone bringing a airsoft gun onboard a plane as an example?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 br0kenrabbit

@Treflis said:

Are you actually trying to draw a parallell between someone refusing to put on a seatbelt and someone bringing a airsoft gun onboard a plane as an example?

Yes. Rules of the carrier are non-negotiable.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Treflis
@br0kenrabbit said:

@Treflis said:

Yes. Rules of the carrier are non-negotiable.

You got some very strick rules then if someone not buckling up equals someone bringing a fake gun aboard an airplane.

Not saying you shouldn't have told him to get out if he didn't buckle up but I'm just baffled by the comparison.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#46 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Treflis: No, he's saying that the only person responsible for missing out by not following the rules is the person who refuses to follow them.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@korvus said:

@Treflis: No, he's saying that the only person responsible for missing out by not following the rules is the person who refuses to follow them.

^^

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:

Who doesn't wear a seatbelt...

seriously, what?

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

it depends on how close you two were, i wouldn't do that to a close friend.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@VaguelyTagged said:

it depends on how close you two were, i wouldn't do that to a close friend.

Seriously I wouldn't do that to anyone I have a shred of care for, in other words, anyone against whom I don't have a vendetta. I'm surprised at the number of applauders.