Scotland is staying with the UK.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Link

Thoughts?

I'm American, so IDGAF. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Well, personally I have no idea what the pros and cons would be either way so I don't have an opinion...what I do have is a bunch of pissed off Scottish friends XD

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Perhaps next time.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Yea I was appalled by the news. I was looking forward to the news of Scotland's independence :(

Enough people chickened out unfortunately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Yea I was appalled by the news. I was looking forward to the news of Scotland's independence :(

Why? Seems like the negatives of independence for Scotland vastly outweigh the positives.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

if they became independent it would be bad for England and scotland.

scotland would have to change currency, more than likely the euro and they may end up like ireland.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

FREEEEEEDOOOO....nah **** it.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Enough people chickened out unfortunately.

I like how so many people are "YE GO FREE, BE FREE" for no real reason.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Such a shame :(

Foul language in these videos btw

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GazaAli

@Aljosa23 said:

Why? Seems like the negatives of independence for Scotland vastly outweigh the positives.

@chaplainDMK said:

I don't claim to have any other reason to wish for Scotland's independence other than out of spite for Britain. Had it been a German state for example, say Bavaria, I wouldn't have been enthusiastic about it one bit. In fact, I would have acknowledged how the positives outweigh the negatives of being a part of a federation or union of some sort.

Regardless, I didn't know people needed a reason to "GO FREE, BE FREE".

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@chaplainDMK said:

I don't claim to have any other reason to wish for Scotland's independence other than out of spite for Britain. Had it been a German state for example, say Bavaria, I wouldn't have been enthusiastic about it one bit. In fact, I would have acknowledged how the positives outweigh the negatives of being a part of a federation or union of some sort.

Your words constitute no real reason. Unless you think like Plato did, noone is free anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@chaplainDMK said:

Whats wrong with Britain?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I was watching a debate on it. I think I have some grasp of what the points were, but maybe I'm wrong, anyhow...

Opponents argued that by leaving the UK they wouldn't be allowed to use their banking system, not without some kind of large economic collateral. Those for Scotland leaving the UK claimed that Scotland had a highly assessed oil assets to back any liabilities they would accumulate by using the UK banking system. Opponents claim the assessment of those oil assets were grossly over-assessed by proponents. They also argued about the importance of currency. Proponents of separation claimed they could still use the pound-sterling currency, or if must join the European Union. Opponents argued neither is a guaranteed thing. Opponents argued the potential economic consequences of independence were too risky.

Did that sound right?

So, I think I have an understanding of it, but regardless of whether I do or not, I still don't understand WHY they want to separate from the UK.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I was watching a debate on it. I think I have some grasp of what the points were, but maybe I'm wrong, anyhow...

Opponents argued that by leaving the UK they wouldn't be allowed to use their banking system, not without some kind of large economic collateral. Those for Scotland leaving the UK claimed that Scotland had a highly assessed oil assets to back any liabilities they would accumulate by using the UK banking system. Opponents claim the assessment of those oil assets were grossly over-assessed by proponents. They also argued about the importance of currency. Proponents of separation claimed they could still use the pound-sterling currency, or if must join the European Union. Opponents argued neither is a guaranteed thing. Opponents argued the potential economic consequences of independence were too risky.

Did that sound right?

So, I think I have an understanding of it, but regardless of whether I do or not, I still don't understand WHY they want to separate from the UK.

The main reasons they wanted to split up are nationalism and the more sensible reason that they are more left wing than the rest of the UK and recently we've been stuck with a conservative government.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

lol IDGAF, but they seemed like underdogs trying to make something happen, kinda sad but then again, i dont care since i dont live in UK

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GazaAli

@MlauTheDaft said:

@GazaAli said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@chaplainDMK said:

Your words constitute no real reason.

I'm sure this is pretty much what I said one way or the other.

I'm curious though, what do you mean by "unless you think like Plato did"?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GazaAli

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@chaplainDMK said:

Whats wrong with Britain?

You for a starter.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

I remember years back Alex Salmon standing proudly beside Mel Gibson using "Bravehart" as a means to promote Scottish independence. Probably the most anglophobia movie ever made. It seems as well he kinda just pulled shit out his ass and promises crap without the ability to back it up. He'd tell people pink elephants would fly if it meant a yes vote.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Modern colonialism. It should be Scotland that owns the UK not the other way around.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

sadness. but yeah, beating the fourth reich was never going to be easy

BruSSels celebrating and shit smh

at least my scotch is going to stay the same price : >

and the scottish people are going to get some of their demands granted at least because cameron was so scared of it he promised them all sorts of things : >

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Perhaps it's for the best ...

Encouraged by the standing ovations that Petro(dollar) Poroshenko and Benjamin Netanyahu have received in the US Congress, Cameron might have decided to bomb the civilian infrastructure and residential districts of Glasgow.

Why not?

Nowadays it would seem that the best way to win the respect and admiration of Obama and the entire US Congress is to bomb civilians to death by the hundreds and raze civilian infrastructure. Netanyahu did it in Gaza and received scores of standing ovations and millions of dollars. Poroshenko did it in Lugansk and Donetsk and likewise received rapturous applause and generous handouts of US taxpayer money.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

It was close Independence here in Puerto Rico didn't reach 3%.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

If Scotland went for Independence they would of been fucked.