OT Special Event: Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao!

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll OT Special Event: Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao! (31 votes)

Floyd Mayweather 45%
Manny Pacquiao 55%

Like the World Cup and other big sports events, they deserve to be share in OT and not a ghost town.

Anyways, who you got? Who are you rooting for?

And some food for thought to get the ball rolling, because we can't have an OT thread without someone bringing up feminism, I will do it myself!

Enjoy!

• 
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@PSP10748-0 against people around his size? Yeah, I'll admit he undisputedly the best at those weight classes. No arguments there.

@Master_Live I consider heavyweights to be genetically gifted and that is an advantage for them. If they fight a welterweight there's no question who would win. If you had to pick one fighter to be your bodyguard, who would you more comfortable with to defend you? I'd pick the monster at 220+ over the 130-140 dude any day.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#102 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
@PSP107 said:

What about his 48-0 record?

Julio Chavez went with an 87 win streak. I believe he still holds the record.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#103 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Legend002 said:

@Master_Live I consider heavyweights to be genetically gifted and that is an advantage for them. If they fight a welterweight there's no question who would win. If you had to pick one fighter to be your bodyguard, who would you more comfortable with to defend you? I'd pick the monster at 220+ over the 130-140 dude any day.

Well, that would be a narrow view of what constitute a boxer. This isn't street fighting. Speed, agility, defense, stamina can all be an integral part of a great boxer. But I guess we are gonna have to agree to disagree.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I find this whole thing kinda funny...Mayweather does seem like a dick, but I won't grief a man who avoids mostly bodily harm by being intelligent. He isn't gonna be one of these older guys who can't think straight because they got punched in the head too many times from being crazy.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#105 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:
@Jaysonguy said:
@Aljosa23 said:
@Jaysonguy said:

Mayweather barely won a fight against an injured boxer

LOL

I'm sorry for actually knowing boxing.

lol

You're delusional and the judges and stats disagree with you.

I swear to Christ, you have no idea about this sport do you?

I'm going to try to explain it to you really simply ok?

Pac had a hurt shoulder before the fight, see that total punches thrown? That means how many times someone swung a punch at the other person. See how Mayweather is ahead? Everyone who actually knows the sport knows that would not have happened if both were healthy. All of the trainers, boxers, and analysts had Pac throwing more punches than Mayweather, why do you think people knew something was wrong with Pac early in the fight?

You have amazing skills though, I tell you what happened, you disagreed, and then you show proof that I'm right.

Thank you for agreeing with me or at least showing I'm right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:
@Aljosa23 said:
@Jaysonguy said:
@Aljosa23 said:
@Jaysonguy said:

Mayweather barely won a fight against an injured boxer

LOL

I'm sorry for actually knowing boxing.

lol

You're delusional and the judges and stats disagree with you.

I swear to Christ, you have no idea about this sport do you?

I'm going to try to explain it to you really simply ok?

Pac had a hurt shoulder before the fight, see that total punches thrown? That means how many times someone swung a punch at the other person. See how Mayweather is ahead? Everyone who actually knows the sport knows that would not have happened if both were healthy. All of the trainers, boxers, and analysts had Pac throwing more punches than Mayweather, why do you think people knew something was wrong with Pac early in the fight?

You have amazing skills though, I tell you what happened, you disagreed, and then you show proof that I'm right.

Thank you for agreeing with me or at least showing I'm right.

What a weird post. I never disagreed with you about him being injured, I'm not disputing that. I took issue with you saying he "barely won" when the stats and judges go against that opinion.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#107 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts
@Legend002 said:

Floyd is still not the best boxer in the world. That title is reserved to a heavyweight. If you put any decent heavyweight with Floyd, he would be knocked out within minutes. Floyd is the best welterweight or whatever but best boxer in the world? No. lol

"Best boxer" means the best pound-for-pound boxer, not the best heavyweight boxer. The "best boxer" means who would be the best if they were both at the same weight. That's how you measure actual boxing skill.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Legend002

@Jag85: Not me. If there's a guy you can't beat then you aren't the best. Pound for pound is just an excuse for the smaller guys to get credit. Of course this is all my opinion.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#109 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Legend002 said:

@Jag85: Not me. If there's a guy you can't beat then you aren't the best. Pound for pound is just an excuse for the smaller guys to get credit. Of course this is all my opinion.

I agree with that too.

A jab from Wladimir Klitschko would knock out a welterweight.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Jankarcop said:
@nini200 said:
@Chozofication said:
@verbalfilth said:
@Chozofication said:

lol boxing

Boxing is awesome.

Its seems like you enjoy anime based off your avatar. Have you watched Hajime no Ippo?

Nah, but i've heard of it. I'd probably enjoy it.

Nothing against boxing really, but skilled martial artists are vastly superior fighters in real life.

You have no clue what you are talking about in that last statement but I'll let you continue to think you do. :)

You can't hug someone in real life and wait for the round to reset....

You really have no idea what you are talking about. First off Boxing is an Art. Secondly, I agree that if a boxer is fighting against someone who has the same amount of years of training in a style such as Jujutsu or Hapkido, they would win specifically the Hapkido martial artist for obvious reasons but the Jujutsu martial artist would have much more difficulty because they'd have to get the boxer on the ground. Once the boxer is on the ground then the Jujutsu Martial Artist would have an advantage. However you are making it seem as if ANY Martial Art style would win against boxing outside of the ring and that is just not true.

The way you're trying to make it seem is that a Boxer has absolutely no skill outside of the boxing ring which couldn't be further from the truth. If anything, a Boxer would be MORE deadly outside of the Boxing ring BECAUSE there are no rules and no gloves/padding. One solid punch from a trained boxer can KO a person and even severely injure or even kill them.

Your assessment that a martial artist would be VASTLY superior is false and you need to research more before you make any more assessments/comments on the matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@nini200: Bro, I didn't say boxers weren't skilled. The "lol boxing" was mostly taking the piss. Are you a boxer? Just curious.

I didn't necessarily mean any martial art is superior to boxing... but honestly, most are. Keeping arts like Jujitsu out of it, a Muay thai fighter is going to kick the shit out of a boxer, I guarantee that. In general.

And honestly, if you're very skilled in jujitsu you won't have too much difficulty getting a boxer on the ground. The Jujitsu fighter will probably take some hits from the boxer but he will win.

Obviously i'm not talking in absolutes here, but if we're talking about fighters that are considered highly skilled in their art, boxers are the bottom of the totem pole. I don't mean any offense.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 nini200

@Chozofication said:

@nini200: Bro, I didn't say boxers weren't skilled. The "lol boxing" was mostly taking the piss. Are you a boxer? Just curious.

I didn't necessarily mean any martial art is superior to boxing... but honestly, most are. Keeping arts like Jujitsu out of it, a Muay thai fighter is going to kick the shit out of a boxer, I guarantee that. In general.

And honestly, if you're very skilled in jujitsu you won't have too much difficulty getting a boxer on the ground. The Jujitsu fighter will probably take some hits from the boxer but he will win.

Obviously i'm not talking in absolutes here, but if we're talking about fighters that are considered highly skilled in their art, boxers are the bottom of the totem pole. I don't mean any offense.

You know what!?!??!! You wanna FIGHT??? O.o Meet me at Madison Square Gardens on May 10th, 7:00PM EST. We'll make it a Pay Per View match!!! GRRRR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@nini200: Oh yeah time to get that money! ...No matter what! lol

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 nini200

@Chozofication said:

@nini200: Oh yeah time to get that money! ...No matter what! lol

I'm sooo done LOOLLLL You win the Internet with that gif LOL

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

That was a disappointing fight. Pacquiao had a bump shoulder but still had a good run especially the 4th round. People like Mayweather and Mayweather apologists is what will ultimately kill boxing. We don't pay money to see someone game the system like he has. I also disagree with those who claim that criticism to the fight is completely based on the fact that people pay to see Mayweather lose and he won. Win or lose, it would still have been an entertaining fight if Mayweather didn't fight like typical Mayweather.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#116  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Well the fight's over. But I wanted Pacquiao to win.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@Chozofication:

lol, did you see that video of him elbowing a fan trying to take a picture with him?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Jag85

@Legend002 said:

Like I said, "That's how you measure actual boxing skill."What you are talking about has nothing to do with boxing skill. The point of pound-for-pound rankings is to determine which boxers have the best boxing skills.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Legend002

@Jag85: Like with everything else, a boxer's skill is measured by competing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@PSP107 said:

@Chozofication:

lol, did you see that video of him elbowing a fan trying to take a picture with him?

Heh, I did

zpluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 zpluffy
Member since 2011 • 281 Posts

For those who miss the fight, here's what happen...

Loading Video...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Jag85

@zpluffy said:

Loading Video...

I was just about to post that....

It sums up the fight pretty well.

And nice Punch-Out homage too.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#123 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Legend002 said:

@PSP10748-0 against people around his size? Yeah, I'll admit he undisputedly the best at those weight classes. No arguments there.

@Master_LiveI consider heavyweights to be genetically gifted and that is an advantage for them. If they fight a welterweight there's no question who would win. If you had to pick one fighter to be your bodyguard, who would you more comfortable with to defend you? I'd pick the monster at 220+ over the 130-140 dude any day.

LOL.

When I competed, I fought at 119-125 pounds. My sparring partner was 215 pounds. I lit his ass up. My coach put me in with him all the time so that when I made a mistake, it would hurt.

Other than that, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Mayweather was the smarter boxer

I didn't want him to win but his technique is undeniable

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Legend002

@plageus900: I said a good small guy vs a good heavyweight. The guy you sparred with must of sucked hard. Plus, sparring and actually fighting are two completely different things. Professionals complain when there's only a 5-10lbs difference for crying out loud.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@zpluffy said:

Loading Video...

I was just about to post that....

It sums up the fight pretty well.

And nice Punch-Out homage too.

I was hoping that Pac-Man would win...the fight did stink...and this video is funny...but you have to give Mayweather a bit more credit than that. Mayweather actually threw more punches, landed more punches, and landed at a higher connect percentage. He completely shut down Pac-Man's offense (shoulder injury does make that feat less impressive of course).

Mayweather beat Pac-Man anyway you slice it. To be honest the whole thing really put me off boxing and I used to be a huge fan. Even the heavy weight division has this crap in it now.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#127 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Mayweather is a champ at dodging, he must be good at dodgeball, lol . If boxing means run around the ring, and wear out your opponent, then he is king to that. In regards to boxing, which i think means to fight, he is not.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Jag85
@Renevent42 said:

I was hoping that Pac-Man would win...the fight did stink...and this video is funny...but you have to give Mayweather a bit more credit than that. Mayweather actually threw more punches, landed more punches, and landed at a higher connect percentage. He completely shut down Pac-Man's offense (shoulder injury does make that feat less impressive of course).

Mayweather beat Pac-Man anyway you slice it. To be honest the whole thing really put me off boxing and I used to be a huge fan. Even the heavy weight division has this crap in it now.

I did give Mayweather credit earlier on. He beat Pacman fair & square, regardless of how boring the fight was. He completely outclassed Pacman with his better foot-work, head movement and accurate punches. While I also wanted Pacman to win, I knew Mayweather would be too hard to beat. Even if they had a rematch, I doubt Pacman with a better shoulder would be able to beat him even then, though the fight might be more competitive than before.

Anyway, the Punch-Out video is obviously just a parody. It left out Mayweather's punches for entertainment purposes, but the part about the hugging and running is spot-on.