Latest Snowden Poll Results: 55% Say Whistleblower; 34% Say Traitor

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
source Immediately in the aftermath of the Snowden revelations, various political action committees and their ideologically affiliated polling services took to convincing the general public that according to "popular opinion", a "majority" of Americans found Snowden to be a [traitor|hero]. A month later, with the the dust having settled somewhat, the US public has had some more time to consider the implications of living in the United Stasi States of America. And sure enough, another poll has just been released, this time by Quinnipiac. Its findings are as follows: a majority of U.S. registered voters consider Edward Snowden a whistle-blower, not a traitor, and a plurality says government anti-terrorism efforts have gone too far in restricting civil liberties, a poll released today shows. Fifty-five percent said Snowden was a whistle-blower in leaking details about top-secret U.S. programs that collect telephone and Internet data, in the survey from Hamden, Connecticut-based Quinnipiac University. Thirty-four percent said hes a traitor. The view of Snowden as a whistle-blower rather than traitor predominated among almost every group of respondents broken down by party, gender, income, education and age. Black voters were the lone exception, with 43 percent calling Snowden a traitor compared with 42 percent saying he was a whistle-blower.More from the poll:

The poll also showed that by 45 percent to 40 percent, respondents said the government goes too far in restricting civil liberties as part of the war on terrorism. That was a reversal from January 2010, when in a similar survey 63 percent said anti-terrorism activities didnt go far enough to protect the U.S. from attacks, compared with 25 percent who disagreed. The massive swing in public opinion about civil liberties and governmental anti-terrorism efforts, and the public view that Edward Snowden is more whistle-blower than traitor, are the public reaction and apparent shock at the extent to which the government has gone in trying to prevent future terrorist incidents, said Peter Brown, assistant director of Quinnipiacs polling institute. The verdict that Snowden is not a traitor goes against almost the unified view of the nations political establishment, Brown said. Facing espionage and other charges and with his passport revoked, Snowden has been holed up at Moscows Sheremetyevo Airport since arriving there on June 23 from Hong Kong, which refused a U.S. extradition request. President Barack Obamas administration has been pressuring other countries not to grant Snowden asylum, and U.S. officials who have called him a traitor include House Speaker John Boehner, an Ohio Republican. The poll showed both Democrats and Republicans about evenly divided on whether government counter-terrorism measures have become excessive. Independent voters view the methods as having gone too far by 49 percent to 36 percent. The fact that there is little difference now along party lines about the overall anti-terrorism effort and civil liberties and about Snowden is in itself unusual in a country sharply divided along political lines about almost everything, Brown said. A gender gap emerges, though, on the governments anti-terrorism programs. The poll showed that men, by 54 percent to 34 percent, see the government as having gone too far in its efforts while women, by 47 percent to 36 percent, said the measures havent gone far enough. Despite this divergence, figures for the genders from Quinnipiacs January 2010 poll exemplify the overall change in attitude on the issue. Male respondents, by 61 percent to 28 percent, said in the earlier survey that the government hadnt gone far enough to protect the country. Among women, 64 percent said the same. Likewise, among Republicans the percentage who said government has gone overboard in restricting civil liberties in the fight against terrorism grew to 41 percent in the new poll, compared with 17 percent three years ago.

Of course, this poll will promptly be overturned by another poll conducted by MSNBC (or comparable), finding that 120% of Americans believe Snowden deserves the chair. And the farce will go on.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

he's an idiot at best.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
As a government contractor myself, I am professionally obligated to say that he's a traitor >_>
FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FuggaJ
Member since 2012 • 318 Posts

I never understood how he was a traitor. He blew the whistle on some corruption, and as much as some may like to think, we are no less safer than we were before. The only thing that came out of this was a more informed public. Generally speaking. His lifes probably pretty shit now.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

I find the whole situation funny. Pretty much it though.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrPraline

he's an idiot at best.

frannkzappa
He's not an idiot. He's an intelligent man. Sure, his actions could be construed as idiotic and silly but he knew what the cost would be. He knew what he was getting into. He gave up everything in order to tell people like you and me the truth about what the government of the United Stasi of America was doing.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 frannkzappa

I never understood how he was a traitor. He blew the whistle on some corruption, and as much as some may like to think, we are no less safer than we were before. The only thing that came out of this was a more informed public.FuggaJ

wrong, he reported something that wasn't illegal and simultaniusly stole sensitive US information.

He's an idiot. a dangerous idiot.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Lipscomb

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]I never understood how he was a traitor. He blew the whistle on some corruption, and as much as some may like to think, we are no less safer than we were before. The only thing that came out of this was a more informed public.frannkzappa

wrong, he reported something that wasn't illegal and simultaniusly stole sensitive US information.

I hope he keeps releasing sensitive US information. Makes good entertainment.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrPraline
that wasn't illegalfrannkzappa
Surely you do not believe that legal = good and illegal = bad? You are too smart for that, man.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

he's an idiot at best.

MrPraline

He's not an idiot. He's an intelligent man. Sure, his actions could be construed as idiotic and silly but he knew what the cost would be. He knew what he was getting into. He gave up everything in order to tell people like you and me the truth about what the government of the United Stasi of America was doing.

No he did this for 5 minutes of fame. the government wasn't even doing anything illegal. he got his job specifically to dig up dirt on the gov and he's willing to stop at nothing even holding sensitive information hostage, just to masturbate his ideals.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I never understood how he was a traitor. He blew the whistle on some corruption, and as much as some may like to think, we are no less safer than we were before. The only thing that came out of this was a more informed public.FuggaJ
Doesn't he have laptops full of government secrets with him? I can't say I'm a big fan of that. What he's leaked so far has just led to a more informed public but some of the information he has could be dangerous.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]that wasn't illegalMrPraline
Surely you do not believe that legal = good and illegal = bad? You are too smart for that, man.

when did i bring good or bad into this? there are far better ways to deal with issues like this than stealing random information and then fleeing the country.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I wouldn't call him a hero, that's a pretty heavy word. Whistleblower however is more fitting and I do commend him for letting the US citizens know they were being monitored.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

he's an idiot at best.

frannkzappa

No he did this for 5 minutes of fame. the government wasn't even doing anything illegal. he got his job specifically to dig up dirt on the gov and he's willing to stop at nothing even holding sensitive information hostage, just to masturbate his ideals.

He gave up everything in order to inform you of what your government is doing. His job. His 200k salary. His girlfriend. His family. His life. All for getting on the news? You're right there's ideals at play here, though. He believes the people should know about this, and he's willing to destroy his entire life for it. I've great admiration for such a man.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="frannkzappa"]that wasn't illegalfrannkzappa

when did i bring good or bad into this? there are far better ways to deal with issues like this than stealing random information and then fleeing the country.

You implied it was ok because it wasn't "illegal".
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]I never understood how he was a traitor. He blew the whistle on some corruption, and as much as some may like to think, we are no less safer than we were before. The only thing that came out of this was a more informed public.JML897
Doesn't he have laptops full of government secrets with him? I can't say I'm a big fan of that. What he's leaked so far has just led to a more informed public but some of the information he has could be dangerous.

exactly, "whistlblow" is not all he did.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] Surely you do not believe that legal = good and illegal = bad? You are too smart for that, man.MrPraline

You implied it was ok because it wasn't "illegal".

no i implied that since it wasn't illegal there were better ways of dealing with the problem.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] He's not an idiot. He's an intelligent man. Sure, his actions could be construed as idiotic and silly but he knew what the cost would be. He knew what he was getting into. He gave up everything in order to tell people like you and me the truth about what the government of the United Stasi of America was doing. MrPraline

He gave up everything in order to inform you of what your government is doing. His job. His 200k salary. His girlfriend. His family. His life. All for getting on the news? You're right there's ideals at play here, though. He believes the people should know about this, and he's willing to destroy his entire life for it. I've great admiration for such a man.

explain why he is holding sensitive US information hostage? i don't trust people that play with the lives of others for ideals. for all we know he could be making millions selling this info to whoever can pay.

FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FuggaJ

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]I never understood how he was a traitor. He blew the whistle on some corruption, and as much as some may like to think, we are no less safer than we were before. The only thing that came out of this was a more informed public.frannkzappa

Nationwide surveillance is illegal and morally wrong. We have the 4th amendment which is supposed to prevent this type of thing. And what sensitive information? Nothing has happened except the start of another political witch hunt. The only dangerous idiots are the ones so scared of the world they feel they need to be constantly watched and monitored by their government.
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
Whistleblower. We need people like him, even if he is not perfect. The last thing we need is a chilling effect = on people doing the right thing.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]I never understood how he was a traitor. He blew the whistle on some corruption, and as much as some may like to think, we are no less safer than we were before. The only thing that came out of this was a more informed public.FuggaJ

Nationwide surveillance is illegal and morally wrong. We have the 4th amendment which is supposed to prevent this type of thing. And what sensitive information?///// Nothing has happened except the start of another political witch hunt. The only dangerous idiots are the ones so scared of the world they feel they need to be constantly watched and monitored by their government.

1. no it's not and subjective.

2 laptops full of government info

3 he's stealing info not planting bombs, the problems are long term.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Lipscomb

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]I never understood how he was a traitor. He blew the whistle on some corruption, and as much as some may like to think, we are no less safer than we were before. The only thing that came out of this was a more informed public.FuggaJ

Nationwide surveillance is illegal and morally wrong. We have the 4th amendment which is supposed to prevent this type of thing. And what sensitive information? Nothing has happened except the start of another political witch hunt. The only dangerous idiots are the ones so scared of the world they feel they need to be constantly watched and monitored by their government.

Ya, the more info that gets released to public, the better. Seeing how the governments been acting. They deserve it. If they can't stop the leaks... then it's their fault they weren't able to stop it.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Funny how everyone wants government transparancy and accountabilty until someone actually offers it to them.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Lipscomb

Funny how everyone wants government transparancy and accountabilty until someone actually offers it to them.

worlock77
Everyone? Are you positive?
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 frannkzappa

Whistleblower. We need people like him, even if he is not perfect. The last thing we need is a chilling effect = on people doing the right thing.majoras_wrath

stealing un-related government information and then fleeing the country is not "doing the right thing".

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

20% whistleblower

20% idiot release sensitive US secrets

20% ballsy for telling the US something important, but obvious

40% fame whore trying to be Julian Assange II

FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FuggaJ

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"][QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

Nationwide surveillance is illegal and morally wrong. We have the 4th amendment which is supposed to prevent this type of thing. And what sensitive information?///// Nothing has happened except the start of another political witch hunt. The only dangerous idiots are the ones so scared of the world they feel they need to be constantly watched and monitored by their government.

Okay I guess you're technically right with number one, but it's a wrong Orwellian way to run the country and should be illegal. Just throwing this out there because some people might not know the FBI doesn't need a judge to sign a warrant to collect information. So far the info seems pretty useless so it's pointless to debate on that one right now. And three wasn't really a new point just kind of a reiteration made to look like another point.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]Nationwide surveillance is illegal and morally wrong. We have the 4th amendment which is supposed to prevent this type of thing. And what sensitive information?///// Nothing has happened except the start of another political witch hunt. The only dangerous idiots are the ones so scared of the world they feel they need to be constantly watched and monitored by their government.FuggaJ

Okay I guess you're technically right with number one, but it's a wrong Orwellian way to run the country and should be illegal. Just throwing this out there because some people might not know the FBI doesn't need a judge to sign a warrant to collect information. So far the info seems pretty useless so it's pointless to debate on that one right now. And three wasn't really a new point just kind of a reiteration made to look like another point.

the point is not that i agree with the surveillance, but that snowden dealt with it in the worst way possible.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
Snowden may be a hero to some but if he is captured by terrorists and the information he has on his laptops can cause damage how quickly do you think he would break under torture? Or would he even make an attempt to resist? Those facts make him dangerous, NSA leaks or not.
FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FuggaJ

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"][QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

the point is not that i agree with the surveillance, but that snowden dealt with it in the worst way possible.

Yeah that's true, he got himself in quite a pickle now.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"] Okay I guess you're technically right with number one, but it's a wrong Orwellian way to run the country and should be illegal. Just throwing this out there because some people might not know the FBI doesn't need a judge to sign a warrant to collect information. So far the info seems pretty useless so it's pointless to debate on that one right now. And three wasn't really a new point just kind of a reiteration made to look like another point.FuggaJ

Yeah that's true, he got himself in quite a pickle now.

if he had simply come out and ONLY let that relevant information known, i might have a different opinion of him.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

The U.S.S.R. used to snoop on it's citizens. Has the U.S. fallen to the level of communist Russia?

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
[QUOTE="Treflis"]I wouldn't call him a hero, that's a pretty heavy word. Whistleblower however is more fitting and I do commend him for letting the US citizens know they were being monitored.

Same.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Why are we talking about Snowden?

When someone blows the whistle on something.

we should focus on what was revealed not the whistleblower.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
He's a hero in the truest sense of the word.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

Blue-Sky

And thats why we focus on snowden, so we don't have to talk about those things/

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ad1x2

Blue-Sky
Because if Snowden has more classified information on him he is using as "insurance" all it takes is for a terrorist to kidnap him and torture it out of him for it to get out. It isn't impossible for the country to have their legal debates on the Constitutionality of the program and attempt to detain Snowden at the same time.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

ad1x2
Because if Snowden has more classified information on him he is using as "insurance" all it takes is for a terrorist to kidnap him and torture it out of him for it to get out. It isn't impossible for the country to have their legal debates on the Constitutionality of the program and attempt to detain Snowden at the same time.

TERRORISTS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

He's an asshole for leaking classified information to the public.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

I, for one, love the idea of the government spying on its citizens, lying to the American people about it, and then prosecuting anyone who dares to do anything about it.  Oh, whilst simultaneously saying we need to protect whistleblowers, and then prosecuting more whistleblowers than any other administration ever has.  But I guess that just makes me a silly nationalistic jackass who thinks the law and the right thing are always aligned. 

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

ITT: a lot of scum defending U.S. espionage. Ironic how the americans propagate freedom of speech but try to control the flow of information themselves.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

ITT: a lot of scum defending U.S. espionage. Ironic how the americans propagate freedom of speech but try to control the flow of information themselves.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Why does it have to be one side or the other? Why can't I just think everyone involved kinda sucks?

I don't think anyone is really saying "YAY NSA SPYING"

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ad1x2
For everybody who insists Snowden is a whistleblower I'm just going to say this: if people truly believe the NSA programs he leaked violated the Fourth Amendment then they are free to hire a team of lawyers to go to the Supreme Court to make their case.

If the Supreme Court says the program was legal then you can either deal with it, push for their decision to be appealed, or leave the country in disgust and/or protest.

If the Supreme Court says the program was unconstitutional then Snowden can have the charges for leaking the program dropped (although he still has to answer to the other intel he gave up like us spying on other countries) while people who willingly took part in the program may be bought on charges.
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts
For everybody who insists Snowden is a whistleblower I'm just going to say this: if people truly believe the NSA programs he leaked violated the Fourth Amendment then they are free to hire a team of lawyers to go to the Supreme Court to make their case.

If the Supreme Court says the program was legal then you can either deal with it, push for their decision to be appealed, or leave the country in disgust and/or protest.

If the Supreme Court says the program was unconstitutional then Snowden can have the charges for leaking the program dropped (although he still has to answer to the other intel he gave up like us spying on other countries) while people who willingly took part in the program may be bought on charges.ad1x2
Your whole legal system is a fraud. Did/do the Guantanamo Bay inmates get a fair trial?
fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts
he was a good whistle blower and did a very great thing calling out the united states and how they spy on their own people and confirming with detailed info in these acts that most of us already know are true.. but.. He stepped way over the line into traitor territory when he announced how we spy on other countries and such.. Look all countries spy on each other it's a fact of life in this modern age. But him saying that stuff did nothing but hurt diplomatic ties with our true few allies... german might be balling and crying how we spied them but seriously i'm 100% they have some spies all throughout our country.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ad1x2
[QUOTE="ad1x2"]For everybody who insists Snowden is a whistleblower I'm just going to say this: if people truly believe the NSA programs he leaked violated the Fourth Amendment then they are free to hire a team of lawyers to go to the Supreme Court to make their case.

If the Supreme Court says the program was unconstitutional then Snowden can have the charges for leaking the program dropped (although he still has to answer to the other intel he gave up like us spying on other countries) while people who willingly took part in the program may be bought on charges.DrTrafalgarLaw
Your whole legal system is a fraud. Did/do the Guantanamo Bay inmates get a fair trial?

If you have a problem with the way the US deals with men who were captured as suspects trying to hurt US forces or civilians write your representative of choice.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#50 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I'm glad. He did the right thing.