Kanye West is better than Eminem (Proof INSIDE)

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Just kidding about the proof bit. I'm just mocking System Wars.

First things first, in no way am I saying that Kanye West is a better MC. Eminem destroys Kanye West as an MC. Kanye West is a pretty clumsy rapper overall.

But on a musical level, Kanye is much better.

Reason #1: Kanye's music is much more diverse. He covers tons of different styles.

Reason #2: Many of Kanye's songs are chock full of interesting musical ideas whereas Eminem uses pretty conventional beats. Kanye is actually willing to experiment.

Reason #3: Kanye doesn't recycle themes the way Eminem does. Kanye actually tries to re-invent himself.

Reason #4:Eminem rests on his laurels all the time whereas Kanye tries harder than just about any hip hop artist. You can see how Kanye has tried to overcome his so so rapping abilities whereas Eminem has declined majorly since his peak.

Reason #5: As nuts as Kanye's public antics can be, he doesn't rap about stuff that seems appropriate to a mental health therapy session. That has to count for something.

Anyway, just thought I'd make a controversial thread (though I do believe what I'm saying). Precede to flame me.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

First things first, in no way am I saying that Kanye West is a better MC. Eminem destroys Kanye West as an MC. Kanye West is a pretty clumsy rapper overall.

Reason #1: Kanye's music is much more diverse. He covers tons of different styles.

Reason #2: Many of Kanye's songs are chock full of interesting musical ideas whereas Eminem uses pretty conventional beats. Kanye is actually willing to experiment.

Reason #3: Kanye doesn't recycle themes the way Eminem does. Kanye actually tries to re-invent himself.

Reason #4:Eminem rests on his laurels all the time whereas Kanye tries harder than just about any hip hop artist. You can see how Kanye has tried to overcome his so so rapping abilities whereas Eminem has declined majorly since his peak.

Anyway, just thought I'd make a controversial thread (though I do believe what I'm saying). Precede to flame me.

GreySeal9
Kanye West heavily relies on Autotune. Eminem does not. /thread.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Blabadon

Kanye West heavily relies on Autotune. Eminem does not. /thread.

Kanye West only really uses autotune for his singing experiments. There's no way he relies on it. So, no, thread is continued...

DatGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DatGreen
Member since 2010 • 61 Posts

Kanye>>>>Eminem

I actually think 'Ye is more gifted lyrically than Em. Shady hasn't come out with a good album since the Marshall Mathers LP. Hes pretty washed up now :(

AtlasBizarre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AtlasBizarre
Member since 2010 • 828 Posts

Kanye's new album is good and Eminem hasn't made a good album.

C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
I love them both equally so it's all good.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GreySeal9

Kanye>>>>Eminem

I actually think 'Ye is more gifted lyrically than Em. Shady hasn't come out with a good album since the Marshall Mathers LP. Hes pretty washed up now :(

DatGreen

I wouldn't go that far, but yes, Eminem is very washed up. That song with Rihanna is wack.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

Kanye's new album is good and Eminem hasn't made a good album.

AtlasBizarre
basically my thoughts, kanye albums are always different and just more varied imo, eminem last ablum is meh
Avatar image for ace-of-spades93
ace-of-spades93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 ace-of-spades93
Member since 2008 • 2456 Posts
Their both garbage IMO.
DatGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DatGreen

[QUOTE="DatGreen"]

Kanye>>>>Eminem

GreySeal9

I wouldn't go that far, but yes, Eminem is very washed up. That song with Rihanna is wack.

Well, I just did 8)

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="DatGreen"]

Kanye>>>>Eminem

DatGreen

Well, I just did 8)

And I wish you the best of luck against the Eminem fanboys, but Kanye is just too clusmy IMO. But he sure as hell talks about more interesting stuff. Eminem recycles themes so much it's ridiculous.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Eminem is irritating/useless/horrible artist. Going to go with Kanye instead, his CD is great, Eminem's is awful.
DatGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DatGreen

[QUOTE="DatGreen"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Well, I just did 8)

And I wish you the best of luck against the Eminem fanboys, but Kanye is just too clusmy IMO. But he sure as hell talks about more interesting stuff. Eminem recycles themes so much it's ridiculous.

Yeah I know what you mean. It seems like all he wants to rap about is his kids and ex wife. Sadly, his career is pretty much over.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#14 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
There's no arguing that Kanye is the better producer, that's just facts. Kanye's lyricism however, leaves a lot to be desired, no matter how much it has improved over the years. Eminem, however can absolutely run circles around MCs like Kanye or Lil Wayne. I also think that you're selling Eminem short on how much he has to overcome. I don't like playing the race card but just by being while means that Eminem has to out rhyme his peers. While Kanye has to overcome the stigma of being a producer rapper, Eminem has to overcome racism in the Detroit ghettos by out rapping everyone else. End of the day, comparing Eminem to Kanye is like comparing apples to oranges. Both may be rappers, but they have completely different approaches to their music.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreySeal9

There's no arguing that Kanye is the better producer, that's just facts. Kanye's lyricism however, leaves a lot to be desired, no matter how much it has improved over the years. Eminem, however can absolutely run circles around MCs like Kanye or Lil Wayne. I also think that you're selling Eminem short on how much he has to overcome. I don't like playing the race card but just by being while means that Eminem has to out rhyme his peers.While Kanye has to overcome the stigma of being a producer rapper, Eminem has to overcome racism in the Detroit ghettos by out rapping everyone else. End of the day, comparing Eminem to Kanye is like comparing apples to oranges. Both may be rappers, but they have completely different approaches to their music.hiphops_savior

That may have been true at one point but not after he become a major aritst, which is why he has been resting on his laurels so much.

I agree that they are much different approaches, and part of my intention of making this thread was to be provocative, but I believe that Kanye's approach is superior. It has led to constant growth whereas Eminem's approach has led to stagnation and regression.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I agree with TC.
artichoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 artichoke
Member since 2006 • 2271 Posts
Both are good but I do like Kanye does experiment more and has variety.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

i agree with everything you posted greyseal. kanye is a much better artist than eminem has ever been. kanye has yet to drop an album that's absolutely unlistenable like encore or relapse. em has totally fallen off.

TruSake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 TruSake
Member since 2005 • 500 Posts

they were both great when they came out, after about their 3rd release they both just straight up sucked. It happens with most rappers... about 95% of them.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

Kanye West heavily relies on Autotune. Eminem does not. /thread.Blabadon

do you listen to music or do you just skim through it?

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

It's confirmed. OT has terrible tastes. Kanye can't do **** without Auto-tune, yet everyone says he is better. I guess Ke$ha is quality. I do believe Eminem has won more awards and has been said to be the greatest rapper of all time time after time.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GreySeal9

they were both great when they came out, after about their 3rd release they both just straight up sucked. It happens with most rappers... about 95% of them.

TruSake

I don't think this is true of Kanye.

His rapping skills have only imrpoved over the years.

Am I alone in thinking that College Dropout is his worst album after 808s and Heartbreak? Its definitely a good album, but it does have the sound of a debut. He really came into his own on Late Registration and Graduation is more sonically interesting and more sonically confident. I think people mostly hate on Graduation because people think it was way more poppy than the first two.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreySeal9

It's confirmed. OT has terrible tastes. Kanye can't do **** without Auto-tune, yet everyone says he is better. I guess Ke$ha is quality. I do believe Eminem has won more awards and has been said to be the greatest rapper of all time time after time.

millerlight89

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Kanye abused the auto-tune on ONE album and that is because it was a singing album and he can't really sing. Also, the auto-tune was partly used for atmosphere. Kanye's music is nothing like Kesha. If you actually had ever listened to both artists, you'd know that.

Where's the autotune in this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elVF7oG0pQs

Also, you can finda group of peoplefor most major rappers who will attest to them being the all time best.

Avatar image for Mr_Anderson1817
Mr_Anderson1817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mr_Anderson1817
Member since 2009 • 479 Posts

Eminem is a better rapper, but I like most of kanye's songs better

XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

I agree completely, Eminem has been using the same formula for the better part of a decade. Kanye has been killing it since Late Registration sans 808s.

Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Crimtmp
Member since 2006 • 2432 Posts

I really do not care for either but Em is a far better lyricist than Ye.

Avatar image for SuprmanLuvHandl
SuprmanLuvHandl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SuprmanLuvHandl
Member since 2010 • 989 Posts

I agree. Eminem is a much better rapper, but Kanye West is the better artist overall.

SmittyPeppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SmittyPeppers
Member since 2010 • 1569 Posts
/Agree
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Skill set wise Eminem is his superior. His word play, story telling, punchlines, general flow of his raps, etc is just dramatically superior to Kanye. Also Em while sort of stuck on the same topics was always lyrically superior to Kanye. Slim Shady LP/Marshall Mathers LP to go along with his off album stuff like Renegade, Hellhound, etc is more than enough proof in that area.

Kanye had the better beats. Plus Graduation was mediocre, and 808 was beyond horrible. I admit Late Registration is cool, and his newest album absolutely spanks anything Eminem has done post Eminem Show(Encore, Relapse, and Recovery suck). But I for the life of me never got the appeal of College Dropout. I understand how I should praise the album for its consistent pace, or even it's themes, but the whole album was typical Kanye nonsense. Forced pronunciations to make a rhyme. off putting flow, and being completely out cIassed by other people on his album. I love the "Never Let You Down" track though

Both are in their own way overrated thoug(haha see I bring System Wars to you Greyseal), but if I had to put faith in one. It's Em. his raw talent is just impressive, and I think he's more capable of delivering memorable tracks than Kanye. He just needs to take hint. No more tracks about his mom, Kim, his daughter(as lovely as they are), drugs, and how much he hates the media and controversy. At the least Eminem will always be funnier than Kanye West. That much is a given. Sadly I keep putting faith in em and he gave me Recovery -_-

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Eminem = Better Lyricist

Kanye = Better Hip-Hop Artist

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ITT: People that think 808s was bad and Kanye's only album (SMH!!!)

Kanye is a producer first and rapper second. He started off production but his heart was alway with hip-hop. He's made songs about his love for this art and that he'll continue to challenge what is considered the norm and go against it. He's above and beyond what your average rapper would do and has proven this time and time again with each album he puts out.

Eminem is an MC. He started off battle rapping. By The Eminem Show he reached a level where he didn't have much competition and for an artist of his caliber that led to him losing content to rap about (which led to the drug abuse and "Encore" album). He tried to go back to his roots and bring back the Slim Shady persona with Relapse but realized most his die-hard fans are about 25-30 years old and want the hungry eminem back. So he came out with Recovery which was Shady ditching his tried and true formula where he'd use Dre for every beat but instead go to different producers to experiment.

I love both artist equally because they are great in their own right. So I can't put one over the other. Both are in my top 5 artist in the game right now.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

808's >>>>> Em's last few albums.

And now, I wait.....

go_mets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 go_mets
Member since 2010 • 60 Posts

millerlight89

lol

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GreySeal9

Skill set wise Eminem is his superior. His word play, story telling, punchlines, general flow of his raps, etc is just dramatically superior to Kanye. Also Em while sort of stuck on the same topics was always lyrically superior to Kanye. Slim Shady LP/Marshall Mathers LP to go along with his off album stuff like Renegade, Hellhound, etc is more than enough proof in that area.

Kanye had the better beats. Plus Graduation was mediocre, and 808 was beyond horrible. I admit Late Registration is cool, and his newest album absolutely spanks anything Eminem has done post Eminem Show(Encore, Relapse, and Recovery suck). But I for the life of me never got the appeal of College Dropout. I understand how I should praise the album for its consistent pace, or even it's themes, but the whole album was typical Kanye nonsense. Forced pronunciations to make a rhyme. off putting flow, and being completely out cIassed by other people on his album. I love the "Never Let You Down" track though

Both are in their own way overrated thoug(haha see I bring System Wars to you Greyseal), but if I had to put faith in one. It's Em. his raw talent is just impressive, and I think he's more capable of delivering memorable tracks than Kanye. He just needs to take hint. No more tracks about his mom, Kim, his daughter(as lovely as they are), drugs, and how much he hates the media and controversy. At the least Eminem will always be funnier than Kanye West. That much is a given. Sadly I keep putting faith in em and he gave me Recovery -_-

jg4xchamp

I totally agree that Eminem has more tons mores kill. He just needs to get better music to inject his rapping skill into and like you said, stop recycling subject matter. It also wouldn't kill him to try something interesting instead of pop throwaway stuff like his new song with Rihanna.

As for College Dropout, I do think the album is overrated. It's a good debut album, but its just that: a fairly unconfident sounding debut album. And his rapping skills were truly medicore back then. I would say that's he's a pretty good MC now, but back then, he was pretty lackluster as an Mc.

I really like Graduation but I prefer to just ignore 808s and and write it off as an experiment in singing that didn't work. Kanye simply cannot sing even with the help of autotune leading to a depressingly monotone sound.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
agree 100% with you. em is a better rapper but ye makes better music
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

millerlight89
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rULPq7XEjY&feature=fvsr no auto tune. therefore your opinion is invalid
KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

I can't tell if this is a serious thread or not...

Eminem is clearly the better rapper when you look at the entire package. Kanye will always have a place in my heart though. I don't get where people are coming from when they say that Eminem is washed up. Recovery is the best thing he's put out since The Marshall Mather LP. And even the albums in between were amazing. Sure he faltered a bit with Relapse, but even so, that album had some pretty astounding wordplay in it. Here's the order of best to worst albums in my opinion...

The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)

Samples: Drug Ballad, Stan, The Way I Am, & Marshall Mathers

Recovery (2010)

Samples: 25 to Life, Space Bound, & Talkin' 2 Myself

Encore (2004)

Samples: Like Toy Soldiers, Yellow Brick Road, & Never Enough

The Slim Shady LP (1999)

Samples: Rock Bottom, Just Don't Give A ****, & Guilty Conscience

The Eminem Show (2002)

Samples: Sing For The Moment, Superman, & Cleanin' Out My Closet

Relapse (2009)

Beautiful, Deja Vu, & Careful What You Wish For

Kanye on the other hand, hasn't just faltered, but completely walked off a cliff in my opinion. 808s pretty much killed his entire career for me. His latest has me happy though I'll admit. And while as a whole, I like Eminem better, I like Graduation more than any one Em album. Graduation is the closest any rap album has come to perfection. His $tyle is getting a bit worn out though. While he is creative, he's also only creative within the limits of his particular **** When was the last time Kanye has come out with a song that didn't has some high pitched women singling some nonsense in the background? Nevertheless, he's still one of my favorite rappers. Here's the order of best to worst in my opinion...

Graduation (2007)

Samples: I Wonder, Everything I Am, & Big Brother

Late Registration (2005)

Samples: Roses, Touch the Sky, & Late

The College Dropout (2004)

Samples: All Falls Down, Through the Wire, & We Don't Care

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010)

Samples: Devil In A New Dress, Blame Game, & Dark Fantasy

808's & Heartbreak (2008)

Samples: Nothing worth mentioning.

GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts
the Slim Shady EP and the Marshall Mathers LP are masterpieces
mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
Eminem, lyrically, is on a totally different level than Kanye. They can't be compared. Eminem could and would destroy Kanye in a battle. Success-wise, Eminem has more records sold than any other rapper in history. On the terms of trying new things, Kanye has him beat. But the auto-tune sucks, so honestly it doesn't matter there.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GreySeal9

I can't tell if this is a serious thread or not...

KH-mixerX

It's a partly serious thread.

TINYOWNSYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 TINYOWNSYOU
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

I don't care for Kanye's antics, but he's actually the only rapper I like.

Immortal--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Immortal--
Member since 2010 • 1415 Posts
"Proof Inside!" Nice one. :P
ParonoiaAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ParonoiaAgent
Member since 2009 • 688 Posts

Eminem is a sellout. Kanye's new album was amazing compared to Eminem's. If Eminem could go back to his Pre-Not Afraid self, they'd be equal.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

Eminem is the better lyricist, but Kanye usually has better beats. Eminem plays it safe by playing conventional but hot beats, Kanye experiments and either hits a grand slam with his beats, or fails pretty bad. Eminem's "therapeutic" stlye of rap sounds boring, but he seems to pull it off in a spectacular way, you really feel like you know him just by listening to his music. I think both are great, but I also think both are a little overrated. They're about even for me, but because of the larger body of work and amazing consistency by Eminem, I say he's better.

XxWOND3RB3ADxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XxWOND3RB3ADxX
Member since 2008 • 1189 Posts

I like Kanye's old stuff a lot better then his new auto tune stuff. I just think it sounds kind of dumb. But I don't really like Eminem that much but Em is a much better rapper but IDK if Kanye is better...

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

By the way, I thought Eminem's newest album was very good. If you took off the songs with Pink, and Rihanna, then that album is amazing. The problem with that album and all Eminem albums is the overexposure that comes with them. Eminem is on a level way higher than most rappers (Kanye is on that level btw) and as a result, his music is under a microscope. His non-singles on"Recovery" range from amazing to very good". In the end, I think I proablylike Kanye's new album better, but Recovery was in no way a bad album, it just had poppy singles.

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

jg4xchamp

Recovery is a masterpiece. There aren't any songs about Kim or his mom on that album. He mentions his daughters, but there aren't any songs that are completely devoted to them. I really don't see why everyone hates on Recovery. It's arguably his most consistent album thematically to date. While Relapse felt like it was stuck in the past, Recovery feels more like a step forward. It's like he put everything he's been through in his entire career into one album.

stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts

This generation, Kanye wins, his lyrics are more meaning full and he always try something new, but Ice T and Ice Cube along with NWA completely destroy Kanye and Eminem.

ParonoiaAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ParonoiaAgent
Member since 2009 • 688 Posts

I like Kanye's old stuff a lot better then his new auto tune stuff. I just think it sounds kind of dumb. But I don't really like Eminem that much but Em is a much better rapper but IDK if Kanye is better...

XxWOND3RB3ADxX

If I'm correct, only two of 'Ye'snew songs (From his new album) use auto-tune. He only abused it in 808's and Heartbreak, which sucked.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
Both of em are good the only thing that I could compare between them is their fortune
Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

Lyrically, no. Music wise, yes.