Kanye West is better than Eminem (Proof INSIDE)

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#51 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Just kidding about the proof bit. I'm just mocking System Wars.

First things first, in no way am I saying that Kanye West is a better MC. Eminem destroys Kanye West as an MC. Kanye West is a pretty clumsy rapper overall.

But on a musical level, Kanye is much better.

Reason #1: Kanye's music is much more diverse. He covers tons of different styles.

Reason #2: Many of Kanye's songs are chock full of interesting musical ideas whereas Eminem uses pretty conventional beats. Kanye is actually willing to experiment.

Reason #3: Kanye doesn't recycle themes the way Eminem does. Kanye actually tries to re-invent himself.

Reason #4:Eminem rests on his laurels all the time whereas Kanye tries harder than just about any hip hop artist. You can see how Kanye has tried to overcome his so so rapping abilities whereas Eminem has declined majorly since his peak.

Reason #5: As nuts as Kanye's public antics can be, he doesn't rap about stuff that seems appropriate to a mental health therapy session. That has to count for something.

Anyway, just thought I'd make a controversial thread (though I do believe what I'm saying). Precede to flame me.

GreySeal9
Ideas aside. Kanye West will never be better then Eminem.
flash_drive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 flash_drive
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts

When it comes to the music, Kanye just takes the cake.

The best kinds of artists are the ones who are willing to experiment with music.

Kanye is a producer, so obviously, his music is always gonna be better.

As a rapper, he does extremely well.

As for this whole auto-tune thing, you guys cleary aren't looking at all his music.

for his 1st 3 albums, no autotune of any kind was used (T-Pain actually came in on one song, but thats not Kanye, so it doesn't count at all.)

his 4th album, "808's" was really bad, but I can respect the album anyway only because Kanye was simply experimenting, its not like that album represented all of his skill or anything.

His 5th album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" was amazing.

This time, his experimenting really paid off, and all I hope is that Kanye doesn't decide to stick with that formula permanantly.

That is all.

Aspetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Aspetto
Member since 2008 • 179 Posts

I think Eminem's Infinite album destroys anything Kanye's done. Just my own opinion. For that matter I still think Eminem's best album was Infinite. Its just too oldschool not to love. Simple but effective. The track 'Its OK' alone is just pure awesome.

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

Yeah I know what you mean. It seems like all he wants to rap about is his kids and ex wife. Sadly, his career is pretty much over.

Haziqonfire

Actually his career is actually one of the best in the music industry at the moment.

flash_drive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 flash_drive
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts

Also if I had to rank the best five artists off all time, it would be:

5: Lil Wayne (Come on, his music as a whole is really great, and Wayne has come a really long way since being with the Hot Boyz)

4: Outkast (this is a group, but they harmonize flawlessly, so I'm gonna have to say that these cats make some of the best Southern Hip-Hop ever. Its too bad we got a bunch of losers giving southern rap a bad name.)

3: Lupe Fiasco (Do I really need an explanation???)

2: Kanye West (For his artistry, making rap much more than a bunch of ****** talking)

1: Jay-Z (Hov himself, does not need any explanation.)

AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 AngelNeo00
Member since 2009 • 392 Posts
In terms of popularity and commercial success eminem career is the best in the industry. However, when it comes to his music he has been very mediocre since encore.
mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#57 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

I love them both equally so it's all good.C-Lee

exactly

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Kanye is creative and all, while 'Em is more hardcore rapping about his life, family, people around him, etc. I like both, so its all good.
AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 AngelNeo00
Member since 2009 • 392 Posts
[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"] Ideas aside. Kanye West will never be better then Eminem.

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

First things first, in no way am I saying that Kanye West is a better MC. Eminem destroys Kanye West as an MC. Kanye West is a pretty clumsy rapper overall.

Reason #1: Kanye's music is much more diverse. He covers tons of different styles.

Reason #2: Many of Kanye's songs are chock full of interesting musical ideas whereas Eminem uses pretty conventional beats. Kanye is actually willing to experiment.

Reason #3: Kanye doesn't recycle themes the way Eminem does. Kanye actually tries to re-invent himself.

Reason #4:Eminem rests on his laurels all the time whereas Kanye tries harder than just about any hip hop artist. You can see how Kanye has tried to overcome his so so rapping abilities whereas Eminem has declined majorly since his peak.

Reason #5: As nuts as Kanye's public antics can be, he doesn't rap about stuff that seems appropriate to a mental health therapy session. That has to count for something.

Anyway, just thought I'd make a controversial thread (though I do believe what I'm saying). Precede to flame me.

DeadMan1290
Ideas aside. Kanye West will never be better then Eminem.

Id say if you compare both their discography, Kanye would be better
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Ultrabeatdown55

Recovery is a masterpiece. There aren't any songs about Kim or his mom on that album. He mentions his daughters, but there aren't any songs that are completely devoted to them. I really don't see why everyone hates on Recovery. It's arguably his most consistent album thematically to date. While Relapse felt like it was stuck in the past, Recovery feels more like a step forward. It's like he put everything he's been through in his entire career into one album.

KH-mixerX

This completely. Well said my friend.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Eminem has become more pop. Kanye feels more like hip-hop these days then Em does.
Dust_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Dust_Fox
Member since 2007 • 737 Posts
I actually agree with TC on this one. I mean I am a huge Em fan and he is by far my favorite rapper. Lyrically, yes of course Em is much better than kanye and arguably still might be (not too sure because he seems to be dropping off). As far as production and being a hip hop artist, Kanye wins, I have to admit he is constantly reinventing his music. I remember listening to his first two albums and thinking to myself "his beats and instrumentals really are unique in the hip hop world". I mean compared to other hip hop at the time, he had a different approach and musicality to his music which is something I greatly appreciated. For the most part, most of you guys seem to agree on the fact that Kanye's Graduation trumps College Dropout and Late Registration lyrically but I disagree. I actually think Late Registration and especially College Dropout displayed his lyrical ability much more than Graduation did. I thought he sold out a bit too much as far as lyricism and conformed to a sort of rap style that was just too simple like most pop hip hop artists in Graduation although like always, his instrumentals were phenomenal. Haven't heard his new album in it's entirety yet but I'd say he really hasn't improved lyrically, but his music is always changing, catchy and innovative as far as hip hop goes. Yeah 'Ye's an a$$hole but that doesn't reflect the talent he has in production. That being said I still like Eminem, but as a hip hop artist he's not at the same level as Kanye. Eminem is and will be that type of rapper who shoots to kill. He makes music yes, but his talent is his lyrics and ability to flow. They have entirely different approaches to music. I think Eminem made music to tell his story, to illustrate his emotions and feelings whereas Kanye makes music... to make music. Not all of Em's Recovery album is bad (just the hits on the radio), but he really does have some good stuff in there. Not his greatest, but good. Relapse was, like he Em said "ehh". Encore had maybe 2-4 actual good songs but Em's last good album was Eminem Show and everything before that was good. Eminem may have just reached the peak of his career arguably when he made Eminem Show. Em does recycle a lot of themes unfortunately but no matter what, he is a better lyricist than Kanye. Overall though...... TC is right haha
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

It's confirmed. OT has terrible tastes. Kanye can't do **** without Auto-tune, yet everyone says he is better.

millerlight89

I love how you say that statement with such authority when it's obvious that you have only heard a very small sample of Kanye's music. He can't do **** without autotune? Are you kidding me? :lol:

(Somewhat related, I think autotune gets too much hate. Like any instrument it can be used well and it can be used terribly. Autotune isn't always an awful thing imo)

C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts

I can't tell if this is a serious thread or not...

Eminem is clearly the better rapper when you look at the entire package. Kanye will always have a place in my heart though. I don't get where people are coming from when they say that Eminem is washed up. Recovery is the best thing he's put out since The Marshall Mather LP. And even the albums in between were amazing. Sure he faltered a bit with Relapse, but even so, that album had some pretty astounding wordplay in it. Here's the order of best to worst albums in my opinion...

The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)

Samples: Drug Ballad, Stan, The Way I Am, & Marshall Mathers

Recovery (2010)

Samples: 25 to Life, Space Bound, & Talkin' 2 Myself

Encore (2004)

Samples: Like Toy Soldiers, Yellow Brick Road, & Never Enough

The Slim Shady LP (1999)

Samples: Rock Bottom, Just Don't Give A ****, & Guilty Conscience

The Eminem Show (2002)

Samples: Sing For The Moment, Superman, & Cleanin' Out My Closet

Relapse (2009)

Beautiful, Deja Vu, & Careful What You Wish For

KH-mixerX

Did you really just put Encore over The Eminem Show and Slim Shady LP?

:|

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

It's confirmed. OT has terrible tastes. Kanye can't do **** without Auto-tune, yet everyone says he is better. I guess Ke$ha is quality. I do believe Eminem has won more awards and has been said to be the greatest rapper of all time time after time.

millerlight89

wow, what an uninformed post....

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 lazerface216

Eminem is clearly the better rapper when you look at the entire package. Kanye will always have a place in my heart though. I don't get where people are coming from when they say that Eminem is washed up. Recovery is the best thing he's put out since The Marshall Mather LP. And even the albums in between were amazing. Sure he faltered a bit with Relapse, but even so, that album had some pretty astounding wordplay in it. Here's the order of best to worst albums in my opinion...

Recovery (2010)

Encore (2004)

The Slim Shady LP (1999)

The Eminem Show (2002)

Relapse (2009)

KH-mixerX

i just don't give a ****>>>>>>>>>>>encore, relapse and recovery combined. em is absolutely nowhere near the artist or MC he once was. sad but true...

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Kanye West is an idiot. Plain and simple.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 JML897

Kanye West is an idiot. Plain and simple. SF_KiLLaMaN

And what exactly does that have to do with his music? This thread isn't about his personality.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 lazerface216

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]Kanye West is an idiot. Plain and simple. JML897

And what exactly does that have to do with his music? This thread isn't about his personality.

c'mon jml, you know it's all about image. who cares about the actual music...

Zcrimson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70 Zcrimson07
Member since 2004 • 3493 Posts
both are pretty good. eminem is better at making music to just thug out to. kanye is better at making music to listen to. i enjoy both. (hate "love the way you lie" though)
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]Kanye West is an idiot. Plain and simple. lazerface216

You sir, are spot on. Rap is more about image than anything. Just look at Lil Wayne. He has no talent whatsoever but is extremely popular.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]

SF_KiLLaMaN

You sir, are spot on. Rap is more about image than anything. Just look at Lil Wayne. He has no talent whatsoever but is extremely popular.

ALL top 40 music is about image.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Eminem is irritating/useless/horrible artist.Haziqonfire
Hey look it's opposite day. :P Nice to know though I'm the only one in Off Topic that appreciates Eminem. lol
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 lazerface216

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Eminem is irritating/useless/horrible artist.UCF_Knight
Hey look it's opposite day. :P Nice to know though I'm the only one in Off Topic that appreciates Eminem. lol

i appreciate his older material, his current music is rubbish though...

Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Ultrabeatdown55
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Eminem is irritating/useless/horrible artist.UCF_Knight

I appreciate him too.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 JML897

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Eminem is irritating/useless/horrible artist.Ultrabeatdown55

I appreciate him too.

He's probably appreciated more than any other rapper in OT (except for Immortal Technique maybe).

pantyraid2113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 pantyraid2113
Member since 2010 • 1976 Posts

They both suck. But the only difference is Eminem used to be great, Kanye never was. Em was spitting timeless rhymes back on the Slim Shady and Marshall Mathers LPs, since then hes gone way down hill. And Kanye West, well he just sucks. I write better raps than him

huytttr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#78 huytttr
Member since 2007 • 816 Posts
I like Kanye West's music more. Does this mean he is better? to me, yes. I could never get into Em and his music. Kanye gets major props from me for producing with daft punk.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

He's probably appreciated more than any other rapper in OT (except for Immortal Technique maybe).

JML897

What the.. I know I didn't go through every post but the majority I read talked about how much he sucks. :P

Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts

I agree with TC.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Well Eminem can freestyle circles around Yeezy and is the better lyricist, but Kanye puts better albums with better production, and Eminem isn't as good as he used to be.
KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#82 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

[QUOTE="KH-mixerX"]

Recovery (2010)

Encore (2004)

The Slim Shady LP (1999)

The Eminem Show (2002)

Relapse (2009)

C-Lee

Did you really just put Encore over The Eminem Show and Slim Shady LP?

:|

Yes I did. Don't get me wrong, I love The Eminem Show and The Slim Shady LP a lot, but Encore just really stuck with me more in the end. It still has some of his most interesting work to date on it. For example, he brought the political side out with Mosh. Yellow Brick Road might be the best story-based song he's ever written. And let's not forget Mockingbird and Like Toy Soldiers...two of the best "serious" songs he's ever put out. The Slim Shady LP was great, but let's face it, a lot of the songs were simply drug-induced fits of sarcasm. The Eminem Show brought it heavily in terms of lyricism, but most of the beats I wasn't feeling. As always though there were exceptions such as Superman, Sing for the Moment, and Till I collapse. In the end, it's just my opinion dude. You don't have to like it, or even understand it.

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 KH-mixerX

[QUOTE="KH-mixerX"]

Recovery (2010)

Encore (2004)

The Slim Shady LP (1999)

The Eminem Show (2002)

Relapse (2009)

lazerface216

i just don't give a ****>>>>>>>>>>>encore, relapse and recovery combined. em is absolutely nowhere near the artist or MC he once was. sad but true...

I take it you haven't listened to Encore and Recovery with statements like that. They were both incredible albums. Relapse had it's moments, but it's definitely not his greatest work. I'd like to to here the exact reasoning behind saying that Recovery and Encore weren't as good as the rest of his albums.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#84 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

Eminem easily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqP1TwuBiK8

He's got so much more emotion in his music and lyrically Kanye couldn't last a moment with him in a rap battle. Eminem's freestiles (wont let me spell it the right way?) are better lyrically then Kanye's autotuned singing and half assed lyrics. The only songs I've ever liked from Kanye was his "Power" and "Cant tell me Nothing" Not to mention Eminem doesn't say retarded things like "George bush is racist" or jump on stage and take the mic from Taylor swift or act like a complete arrogant asshat.

Sure Eminem can be cocky when he rhymes but he admits when people are better then him and doesn't come off as a arrogant self conceded prick like kanye.

This is all my opinion though.

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 KH-mixerX

Eminem easily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqP1TwuBiK8

He's got so much more emotion in his music and lyrically Kanye couldn't last a moment with him in a rap battle. Eminem's freestiles (wont let me spell it the right way?) are better lyrically then Kanye's autotuned singing and half assed lyrics. The only songs I've ever liked from Kanye was his "Power" and "Cant tell me Nothing" Not to mention Eminem doesn't say retarded things like "George bush is racist" or jump on stage and take the mic from Taylor swift or act like a complete arrogant asshat.

Sure Eminem can be cocky when he rhymes but he admits when people are better then him and doesn't come off as a arrogant self conceded prick like kanye.

This is all my opinion though.

XileLord

Okay, first of all only one of Kanye's albums has him making use of the auto-tune. Second, you're comparing Kanye's persona to Eminem's rapping. Those are two totally different arguments. Kanye is still awesome. I personally think Eminem is the better artist overall, but Kanye is quite the talent as well. You're selling him short.

pantyraid2113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 pantyraid2113
Member since 2010 • 1976 Posts

Encore and Recovery were both terrible. And so was Relapse.

BIG-BOSSMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 BIG-BOSSMAN
Member since 2010 • 594 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Kanye West heavily relies on Autotune. Eminem does not. /thread.

Kanye West only really uses autotune for his singing experiments. There's no way he relies on it. So, no, thread is continued...

He doesn't experiment with autotune, he followed the trend. Big difference. A year or 2 after people started making money using autotune kanye started doing it cause it pays well.
Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
Eminem is irritating/useless/horrible artist. Going to go with Kanye instead, his CD is great, Eminem's is awful.Haziqonfire
I like eminem more, His music speaks to me. Kanye is just a fool who got lucky. nothing more.
KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 KH-mixerX

Encore and Recovery were both terrible. And so was Relapse.

pantyraid2113

Please buckle your seatbelt sir. The bandwagon will be departing shortly.

Crash_WL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#90 Crash_WL
Member since 2008 • 2660 Posts

i agree with everything you posted greyseal. kanye is a much better artist than eminem has ever been. kanye has yet to drop an album that's absolutely unlistenable like encore or relapse. em has totally fallen off.

lazerface216

Have you tried listening to Encore? Did "Mockingbird", "Like toy soldiers", "Mosh" etc disappoint you? In general, "Beautiful", "Won't back down" etc, are those bad? Excuse me, sir, you don't know what you're talking about. Eminem and Kanye are both rappers, but with almost opposite styles. Eminem is rapping about his life (mostly) and about skills. Kanye, well I can't dispute his value (remember "I can't live my life this way" with Run DMC?) but I think he's become something that "is sure to sell". You can't compare (mainly, not as a whole) club music to rap music, Kanye and Eminem accordingly.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

i agree with everything you posted greyseal. kanye is a much better artist than eminem has ever been. kanye has yet to drop an album that's absolutely unlistenable like encore or relapse. em has totally fallen off.

Crash_WL

Have you tried listening to Encore? Did "Mockingbird", "Like toy soldiers", "Mosh" etc disappoint you? In general, "Beautiful", "Won't back down" etc, are those bad? Excuse me, sir, you don't know what you're talking about. Eminem and Kanye are both rappers, but with almost opposite styles. Eminem is rapping about his life (mostly) and about skills. Kanye, well I can't dispute his value (remember "I can't live my life this way" with Run DMC?) but I think he's become something that "is sure to sell". You can't compare (mainly, not as a whole) club music to rap music, Kanye and Eminem accordingly.

lol, this thread again.

excuse me sir, but i do know what i'm talking about. lol at least i think i do. i've listened to encore and it's **** compared to his previous 3 releases. that's my opinion buddy.

...lol and please don't label eminem as club music, at least give him the benefit of the doubt of being a rapper.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 JML897

In generall..."Won't back down" etc, are those bad?

Crash_WL

Yes, "Won't Back Down" is bad.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 lazerface216

[QUOTE="Crash_WL"]

In generall..."Won't back down" etc, are those bad?

JML897

Yes, "Won't Back Down" is bad.

lol really bad.

Peiner09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Peiner09
Member since 2009 • 722 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Kanye West heavily relies on Autotune. Eminem does not. /thread.lazerface216

do you listen to music or do you just skim through it?

Caauuuse I'm a M"fffin renegade?
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Kanye is much, much better than Eminem. Eminem just shouts the same self-pitying crap in the exact same way in every song.
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#96 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Kanye is a joker, he's a cool guy. I don't have as much interest in Eminem as I do in Kanye. Partly because Eminem's stuff is just rapping to a beat whereas Kanye tries to make songs.

zoraluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 zoraluv
Member since 2010 • 8319 Posts

kayne is rude and apparently has everything "power and what not"

eminem has a background and puts his heart in soul in his songs

kayne used autotune in almost every song in that album 808 and heartbreak

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 lazerface216

eminem has a background and puts his heart in soul in his songs

kayne used autotune in almost every song in that album 808 and heartbreak

zoraluv

well seeing as the album is called 808's and heartbreaks, i don't understand what you could have expected. and kanye doesn't have a background or put emotions into his songs? jesus... :roll:

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
No he's not.
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Eminem is by FAR the better artist.

If eminem was black he would have sold less records but the respect for him would be greater overal.