Jesus would have loved homosexuals?

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

According to the bible he did and actually bless a gay couple

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

To oppose homosexuality is to oppose love. To oppose love is to oppose god.

nomsayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 nomsayin
Member since 2013 • 1346 Posts
@toast_burner said:

The love God has for someone and the love one should have for God, is much stronger (and is quite different) than the love people experience with each other. (from a religious perspective)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@nomsayin said:
@toast_burner said:

The love God has for someone and the love one should have for God, is much stronger (and is quite different) than the love people experience with each other. (from a religious perspective)

How can you claim to love god when you hate what god created? Why should god accept you when your heart is full of the most impure of all feelings?

nomsayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nomsayin
Member since 2013 • 1346 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@nomsayin said:
@toast_burner said:

How can you claim to love god when you hate what god created? Why should god accept you when your heart is full of the most impure of all feelings?

Hate the sin, not the sinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@nomsayin said:

@toast_burner said:

@nomsayin said:
@toast_burner said:

Hate the sin, not the sinner

So love is a sin?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Not only that, Jesus himself was gay.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Not only that, Jesus himself was gay.

12 dudes, Judas got jealous. Wanted him all for himself.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

He really didn't speak of homosexuality in the writings accepted as canon. I'm not super familiar with the non-canonical scriptures (the Nag Hammadi texts) but he really didn't say much about it there either.

However, if he were a good Jew (which he was) he would have been mildly opposed to it, according to the rules laid down in Leviticus.

I do wonder if the hatred of homosexuality stemmed from the Church's condemnation of Roman/Greek societal behaviour, which included a very acceptable form of not only homosexuality, but pederasty.

Then there is the whole theory that men who "love" and worship a male deity are closeted homosexuals, and this extends to explain why so many Catholic priests molest/rape young boys.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

He really didn't speak of homosexuality in the writings accepted as canon.

I'm sorry, but that made me chuckle :P. "Canon"

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

this topic needs more mindstorm.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 foxhound_fox

@The_Last_Ride said:

@foxhound_fox said:

He really didn't speak of homosexuality in the writings accepted as canon.

I'm sorry, but that made me chuckle :P. "Canon"

I don't accept any religion as literal fact. It's all mythology to me, and the various Churches accept different texts as their canon.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

i was always taught that jesus surrounded himself by those that were generally shunned by society. with that in mind i don't see why he would not included homosexuals as well.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

He also loves pedophiles, rapists, murders, sadists, lairs, thieves, prostitutes, greedy people, and bullies as well. He loves all people equally and everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of god. To sin is to reject Christ, so does that mean Christ rejects himself? Of course not, to love a person is not the same thing as allowing sin. Parent's love their children and yet they punish them and oppose actions that the child does that they consider wrong. You can love someone and still reject their lifestyles or actions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@ferrari2001 said:

He also loves pedophiles, rapists, murders, sadists, lairs, thieves, prostitutes, greedy people, and bullies as well. He loves all people equally and everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of god. To sin is to reject Christ, so does that mean Christ rejects himself? Of course not, to love a person is not the same thing as allowing sin. Parent's love their children and yet they punish them and oppose actions that the child does that they consider wrong. You can love someone and still reject their lifestyles or actions.

So what makes homosexuality a sin?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ferrari2001

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Each denomination has different reasons for considering homosexuality sinful as I am of the Catholic denomination I can only post what my denomination says about it. And since it's a rather lengthy debate this article can summarize it far more eloquently than I can.

Linky

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 foxhound_fox

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Each denomination has different reasons for considering homosexuality sinful as I am of the Catholic denomination I can only post what my denomination says about it. And since it's a rather lengthy debate this article can summarize it far more eloquently than I can.

Linky

What's your personal opinion on the matter? Can't you make up your mind for yourself on the matter? Why default to the Church's position?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Linky

That article makes lots of baseless assumptions and it's only quotations from scripture are vague interpretations of the old testament. So if you follow the old testament then surely you must believe that slavery is ok and that women shouldn't have equal rights. What you're doing is cherry picking what parts of the bible to believe to fit your own bias. Jesus taught love, but you've decided to go against what he taught in exchange for hate.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ferrari2001

@foxhound_fox said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Linky

What's your personal opinion on the matter? Can't you make up your mind for yourself on the matter? Why default to the Church's position?

Because the Church's position is my personal opinion. I do vary with a some bishops slightly on what legal rights should be given to homosexuals (end of life rights, property ownership etc) but for the most part I hold the same beliefs, especially on a theological level. And to not believe in the Church's position would be completely and utterly illogical. If you believe Christ started a Church and continues to inspire and guide said Church then to disagree with said Church is to disagree with Christ.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@ferrari2001 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Linky

Because the Church's position is my personal opinion. I do vary with a some bishops slightly on what legal rights should be given to homosexuals (end of life rights, property ownership etc) but for the most part I hold the same beliefs, especially on a theological level. And to not believe in the Church's position would be completely and utterly illogical. If you believe Christ started a Church and continues to inspire and guide said Church then to disagree with said Church is to disagree with Christ.

What if Christ disagrees with the church?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxhound_fox
@ferrari2001 said:

Because the Church's position is my personal opinion.

You are a great guy, and I respect your and your opinions greatly... but I really can't believe you would take such a position.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@ferrari2001 said:

So no critical thinking on your part then lulz.

Good think you weren't born during the Crusades, would have to go along with the whole 'retaking the Holy Land' thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@ferrari2001 said:

You are a great guy, and I respect your and your opinions greatly... but I really can't believe you would take such a position.

After his opinions on birth control and Plan B, nothing should surprise you.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ferrari2001

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Linky

The Church is Christ and Christ cannot disagree with Himself. You are entering a discussion on faith that boils down to what authority did Christ give the people of His Church and do Christians believe that Christ is still a guiding force is said Church. If Christ founded a Church is does not make sense to have a belief for 2000 years and then suddenly that belief changes. If the Church was indeed founded and guided by Christ then the fundamental beliefs of said Church would not change. Obviously certain practices are going to change and beliefs are going to become better understood and more transparent in time but fundamentally if you believe Christ founded a Church based on certain principles and Christ is all knowing then those principles will not change. Remember no one has a unique opinion. Everyone's opinion comes from someone else. Your opinion is based on the teachings of people around you that you trust and believe to be giving you truth. Just as my opinion is formed from the people around me who I trust and believe is teaching truth. Who has actually has the truth is what is up for debate and I guarantee that debate will not be solved here. If it was we would quite possibly become quite famous.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Linky

The Church is Christ and Christ cannot disagree with Himself. You are entering a discussion on faith that boils down to what authority did Christ give the people of His Church and do Christians believe that Christ is still a guiding force is said Church. If Christ founded a Church is does not make sense to have a belief for 2000 years and then suddenly that belief changes. If the Church was indeed founded and guided by Christ then the fundamental beliefs of said Church would not change. Obviously certain practices are going to change and beliefs are going to become better understood and more transparent in time but fundamentally if you believe Christ founded a Church based on certain principles and Christ is all knowing then those principles will not change. Remember no one has a unique opinion. Everyone's opinion comes from someone else. Your opinion is based on the teachings of people around you that you trust and believe to be giving you truth. Just as my opinion is formed from the people around me who I trust and believe is teaching truth. Who has actually has the truth is what is up for debate and I guarantee that debate will not be solved here. If it was we would quite possibly become quite famous.

Yet you admitted you haven't looked into what Christ taught, you just go by what the church says. Wouldn't it make more sense to cut out the middle man and just follow Christ? You don't even know what it is you believe do you? You've probably never put more than 30 seconds of thought into this.

Are you really suggesting that all the stuff Jesus said while on earth should be thrown out and we should just follow the pope instead?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxhound_fox

@Aljosa23 said:

After his opinions on birth control and Plan B, nothing should surprise you.

But they aren't his opinions. And he's an intelligent guy no less. It makes my head hurt.

Granted, I know a guy who (claims he) tested at a 187 IQ and adamantly believes in God (but is essentially non-denominational). And not just a pantheistic "god" but God of Christianity.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Maybe the 187 guy is onto something

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

I would want to be able to disagree with jc and the church though

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ferrari2001

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Yet you admitted you haven't looked into what Christ taught, you just go by what the church says. Wouldn't it make more sense to cut out the middle man and just follow Christ? You don't even know what it is you believe do you? You've probably never put more than 30 seconds of thought into this.

Are you really suggesting that all the stuff Jesus said while on earth should be thrown out and we should just follow the pope instead?

Bull crap I haven't looked into what Christ taught. I spend 3 1/2 years in seminary. I took classes on the bible, the catechism, other christian denominations, even Islam. I read christian texts on my own, read the bible, took various history course, both religious and non-religious, even got a degree in philosophical studies, and prayed extensively. You seem to know an awful lot about me without having ever met me. I'm one of the few people here who have actually studied Christianity in a professional setting as opposed to what they've read on the internet. If Mindstorm were he still here could probably give me a run for my money though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Bull crap I haven't looked into what Christ taught. I spend 3 1/2 years in seminary. I took classes on the bible, the catechism, other christian denominations, even Islam. I read christian texts on my own, read the bible, took various history course, both religious and non-religious, even got a degree in philosophical studies, and prayed extensively. You seem to know an awful lot about me without having ever met me. I'm one of the few people here who have actually studied Christianity in a professional setting as opposed to what they've read on the internet. If Mindstorm were he still here could probably give me a run for my money though.

Then why do you have to resort to posting links to sub-par articles when asked about what you think? If you are capable of thinking for yourself why not actually use your own words?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Hahaha, he lived in the Middle East... 2000 years ago... I think the answer is no.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ferrari2001

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Then why do you have to resort to posting links to sub-par articles when asked about what you think? If you are capable of thinking for yourself why not actually use your own words?

Why, because it's far easier. I don't have time to sit around and write up a personal theological dialog on the totality of my Christian beliefs. In fact I've spent to much time in this discussion already. It's much simpler to post an article that presents a small articulation of some of my beliefs in brief points. I'll be the first to agree that it isn't a perfect article, and is lacking in some areas but it serves it's purpose in offering some of the reasons the Church views homosexuality as sinful, which if I remember correctly was your question. How it changed from "why is homosexuality sinful", to "what do you personally believe about homosexuality" I will never know. You asked a question and I gave you an answer in the simplest way I could find.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

According to the bible women who are not virgins on their wedding night should be stoned to death. Old words in an older book.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Why, because it's far easier. I don't have time to sit around and write up a personal theological dialog on the totality of my Christian beliefs. In fact I've spent to much time in this discussion already. It's much simpler to post an article that presents a small articulation of some of my beliefs in brief points. I'll be the first to agree that it isn't a perfect article, and is lacking in some areas but it serves it's purpose in offering some of the reasons the Church views homosexuality as sinful, which if I remember correctly was your question. How it changed from "why is homosexuality sinful", to "what do you personally believe about homosexuality" I will never know. You asked a question and I gave you an answer in the simplest way I could find.

Actually you posted that link as a reply to me asking "what makes homosexuality a sin" not "does the church view it as a sin"

The article was terrible. I doubt you even read it. You just skimmed through it to see if it says being gay is a sin and assumed it would give some answers.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Jesus was a hippie liberal who loved everyone regardless of what they did. He hated the sin, but loved the sinner and wholly discouraged the judging of individuals. 'Those without sin cast the first stone' and whatnot.

He generally seemed to be a pretty swell guy.

Oh, if only Christians could actually emulate their saviour.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ferrari2001

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

Actually you posted that link as a reply to me asking "what makes homosexuality a sin" not "does the church view it as a sin"

The article was terrible. I doubt you even read it. You just skimmed through it to see if it says being gay is a sin and assumed it would give some answers.

And you read it in the 3 min it took from me posting it to you responding to it, yea ok? I've used Catholic Answers many times, and it's not the first time I've read the article, it isn't perfect but it is Nihil Obstat meaning it is in line with the teachings of the Church. It's not written all that well but It does give an answer to why, in the Catholic tradition, homosexual activities are sinful. You got an answer, I'm not asking you to agree with it and I respect that fact that you don't, but it did give an answer to your question.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@toast_burner said:
@ferrari2001 said:

@toast_burner said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Linky

That article makes lots of baseless assumptions and it's only quotations from scripture are vague interpretations of the old testament. So if you follow the old testament then surely you must believe that slavery is ok and that women shouldn't have equal rights. What you're doing is cherry picking what parts of the bible to believe to fit your own bias. Jesus taught love, but you've decided to go against what he taught in exchange for hate.

Jesus taught love within particular reasoning. For example, He taught to give what is due to the ruling government on earth and also give what is due to the Most High. In that context, money is due to the government, and love is due to the Father. The idea of an all loving Son of the Most High is something recent if anything.

About homosexuality, I believe people should pray on the situation and establish a personal connection with the Father beyond being born-again and communion to make an assertive individual decision rather than appointing a leader or leaders of a church denomination to do it for them.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

another Rainbow Gestapo, Atheist Bigots, Religious Zealots wrestling each other .... and Moderator enjoying it....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Jesus loved everyone.....is this a revelation?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Jesus loved everyone.....is this a revelation?

it might be to some Christians

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

@toast_burner said:

Sodomy is the sin. Homosexual males can technically only have 'sex' through sodomy, so that's why the two are often mixed in together. The "thou shalt not lie with mankind as one would with womankind" or whatever it is, is just saying don't have sex with another man in the way you'd have sex with a woman.

You can be gay all you want and kiss up on each other, god just says no buttsex.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@XilePrincess said:

@toast_burner said:

Sodomy is the sin. Homosexual males can technically only have 'sex' through sodomy, so that's why the two are often mixed in together. The "thou shalt not lie with mankind as one would with womankind" or whatever it is, is just saying don't have sex with another man in the way you'd have sex with a woman.

You can be gay all you want and kiss up on each other, god just says no buttsex.

But if you follow that part of the bible then you must also follow the parts where it says women aren't allowed to talk in church, slavery is ok, you should kill children who swear at their parents, you shouldn't mix fabrics, and you shouldn't cut your hair. What sense does it make to only follow one part of liviticus and then ignore the rest of it?

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Of course he would love homosexuals, they would give him fab fashion tips. Because man, those rags he's wearing and that haircut... no honey, just no.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Jesus only love nice homosexuals .... no love for those who behave erratic like bitchy and loud mouth drag queens and divas who occasionally throwing tantrums at other people.

Avatar image for girlshavefuntoo
girlshavefuntoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By girlshavefuntoo
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts

I don't care if Jesus would have loved me or not. He is of no importance to me.

@toast_burner said:

@XilePrincess said:

@toast_burner said:

But if you follow that part of the bible then you must also follow the parts where it says women aren't allowed to talk in church, slavery is ok, you should kill children who swear at their parents, you shouldn't mix fabrics, and you shouldn't cut your hair. What sense does it make to only follow one part of liviticus and then ignore the rest of it?

The common argument I hear is that they're metaphors. For what, nobody knows.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@ferrari2001: Apologetics and evangelism, my man. There's no use in engaging in the former with people on this forum; it won't solve anything or change the way they think. Sadly, neither will the latter as they are so set in believing what they feel is right without possessing the ability to have an open mind to God's teachings.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@girlshavefuntoo said:

I don't care if Jesus would have loved me or not. He is of no importance to me.

@toast_burner said:

@XilePrincess said:

@toast_burner said:

The common argument I hear is that they're metaphors. For what, nobody knows.

Actually if he wanted to compare Biblical teachings he'd have been better of sticking to sex. No premarital and no adultery.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HoolaHoopMan

@jasean79 said:

@ferrari2001: Apologetics and evangelism, my man. There's no use in engaging in the former with people on this forum; it won't solve anything or change the way they think. Sadly, neither will the latter as they are so set in believing what they feel is right without possessing the ability to have an open mind to God's teachings.

Many of us have had an open mind to your god's teachings. The difference being that after critical examination we found them to be utter nonsense. The god of Abraham isn't someone I'd like to worship even if they did exist. Nothing more than a megalomaniac and psychopath.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

If Jesus was as benevolent as people claim I don't think he would have really cared if you was gay or not.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Contrary to popular belief Jesus never said one word either condemning or condoning homosexuality. You think he would have atleast broached upon the subject.

All the quotes concerning homosexuality are from the Old Testament.