Jesus would have loved homosexuals?

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Newhopes said:

If Jesus was as benevolent as people claim I don't think he would have really cared if you was gay or not.

He was benevolent to a point, then you have to remember that he continually warned us to heed his warnings or spend an eternity in hell. Such benevolence.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#53 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@jasean79 said:

without possessing the ability to have an open mind to God's teachings.

Is that so. How may I acquire "the ability to have an open mind to God's teachings"?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#54 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Boddicker: He blessed a gay couple. I don't think there's anything more clear than that

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Boddicker: He blessed a gay couple. I don't think there's anything more clear than that

Can you find the exact scripture where he blessed a gay couple? I have no memory of that.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#56  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@ferrari2001: Apologetics and evangelism, my man. There's no use in engaging in the former with people on this forum; it won't solve anything or change the way they think. Sadly, neither will the latter as they are so set in believing what they feel is right without possessing the ability to have an open mind to God's teachings.

You are so whiny.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 The_Last_Ride

@Boddicker said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Can you find the exact scripture where he blessed a gay couple? I have no memory of that.

Watch the video, he explains it there

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Boddicker said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Prefer actual scripture dude....not someone's video. I doubt the middle east back then had ANY openly gay couple. Hell..not even today.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By GreySeal9

@nomsayin said:

@toast_burner said:

@nomsayin said:
@toast_burner said:

To oppose homosexuality is to oppose love. To oppose love is to oppose god.

The love God has for someone and the love one should have for God, is much stronger (and is quite different) than the love people experience with each other. (from a religious perspective)

How can you claim to love god when you hate what god created? Why should god accept you when your heart is full of the most impure of all feelings?

Hate the sin, not the sinner

That's a good philosophy in general, but branding somebody a sinner because of their sexual orientation has a stigmatizing effect that is not very loving at all. When you categorize homosexuality as a sin, it becomes easier for some people to bully homosexuals. If that kind of stigma is going to be applied to homosexuals, the kind that makes life harder for them, there should be a damn good reason for it and there's simply isn't.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LJS9502_basic

@GreySeal9 said:

@nomsayin said:

@toast_burner said:

@nomsayin said:
@toast_burner said:

The love God has for someone and the love one should have for God, is much stronger (and is quite different) than the love people experience with each other. (from a religious perspective)

How can you claim to love god when you hate what god created? Why should god accept you when your heart is full of the most impure of all feelings?

That's a good philosophy in general, but branding somebody a sinner because of their sexual orientation has a stigmatizing effect that is not very loving at all. When you categorize homosexuality as a sin, it becomes easier for some people to bully homosexuals. If that kind of stigma is going to be applied to homosexuals, the kind that makes life harder for them, there should be a damn good reason for it and there's simply isn't.

In the religion sense whether you want to brand something a sin or not....you aren't supposed to bully anyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@nomsayin said:

@toast_burner said:

@nomsayin said:
@toast_burner said:

In the religion sense whether you want to brand something a sin or not....you aren't supposed to bully anyone.

Yet that doesn't seem to stop religious people from bullying.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@Master_Live said:

@jasean79 said:

Is that so. How may I acquire "the ability to have an open mind to God's teachings"?

Would you be willing to listen to what religion has to offer? Gain a clearer understanding of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit and how they can influence you in your daily life for the better?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@jasean79 said:

@Master_Live said:

@jasean79 said:

Would you be willing to listen to what religion has to offer? Gain a clearer understanding of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit and how they can influence you in your daily life for the better?

It's quite ironic for you to ask that of other people.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 GreySeal9

@LJS9502_basic said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@nomsayin said:

@toast_burner said:

@nomsayin said:
@toast_burner said:

My point is not that bullying is excused by religion, but that people rationalize treating others badly when they are stigmatized. Branding someone's orientation as "sin" has exactly that effect.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 LJS9502_basic

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@nomsayin said:

@toast_burner said:

@nomsayin said:
@toast_burner said:

*some....Don't generalize.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@nomsayin said:

@toast_burner said:

@nomsayin said:
@toast_burner said:

*some....Don't generalize.

why would you assume I meant all religious people? Don't make assumptions.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 jasean79

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@Master_Live said:

@jasean79 said:

I'm not seeing the irony, but okay

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Yeah probably. Besides, I can totally imagine Jesus having the hots for some young stable boys in Jerusalem. Would make sense why he wasn't married.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LJS9502_basic

@toast_burner: Your words are exactly that. Next time clean up your language then.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#71  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@Master_Live said:

@jasean79 said:

Sure, already have and don't like what they are selling. But there is always a new sales pitch around the corner.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 jasean79

@Master_Live said:

@jasean79 said:

@Master_Live said:

@jasean79 said:

Sure, already have and don't like what they are selling. But there is always a new sales pitch around the corner.

That's perfectly acceptable. Perhaps you just haven't found the right religion yet or the person/s that tried to "sell it to you" weren't that good a salesmen. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@jasean79 said:

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@Master_Live said:

@jasean79 said:

well based on what you say here you don't listen to the teachings of Jesus. Maybe you're different in reality but surely you should follow his teachings all the time, not just switch on and off like you seem to do.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 jasean79

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@Master_Live said:

@jasean79 said:

well based on what you say here you don't listen to the teachings of Jesus. Maybe you're different in reality but surely you should follow his teachings all the time, not just switch on and off like you seem to do.

Nobody's perfect and I never claimed to be. We all have our faults. What matters is that I'm trying to be a better person everyday by removing the negativity and focusing on the positivity. It's a struggle at times, but doesn't stop me from working towards that goal.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 The_Last_Ride

@LJS9502_basic said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Boddicker said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Prefer actual scripture dude....not someone's video. I doubt the middle east back then had ANY openly gay couple. Hell..not even today.

If you look back at older times, it was reverse. Look at ancient Greece for example. Being gay was not something that was looked down upon or even considered a sin... So it's been there for a long ass time, it's not before the church started burning people and not allowing people being gay that that it was looked down upon.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I'm not even sure the man existed, but if he were alive today, I bet you every christian alive would call him the antichrist.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LJS9502_basic

@The_Last_Ride said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Boddicker said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

If you look back at older times, it was reverse. Look at ancient Greece for example. Being gay was not something that was looked down upon or even considered a sin... So it's been there for a long ass time, it's not before the church started burning people and not allowing people being gay that that it was looked down upon.

Nonetheless it was never a part of the culture we are talking about here. I take it then you have nothing substantive to post.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78  Edited By limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@wis3boi said:

I'm not even sure the man existed, but if he were alive today, I bet you every christian alive would call him the antichrist.

I'm sure his miracles would make their way onto youtube before long. The comment section would be a cesspool.

As for the topic: There's no way to know for sure. All we know about Jesus is what is in the Gospels; he never mentions homosexuality. While Jesus does claim to uphold and follow Jewish law, he modifies the law in multiples areas. Thus, there is simply no way to know his views on homosexuality.

As modern views on homosexuality change in our society Christians will empathizes certain verses over others so that it falls in line with these views. The Bible is the most "living" text in human history.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@XilePrincess said:

@toast_burner said:

So what makes homosexuality a sin?

Sodomy is the sin. Homosexual males can technically only have 'sex' through sodomy, so that's why the two are often mixed in together. The "thou shalt not lie with mankind as one would with womankind" or whatever it is, is just saying don't have sex with another man in the way you'd have sex with a woman.

You can be gay all you want and kiss up on each other, god just says no buttsex.

But if you follow that part of the bible then you must also follow the parts where it says women aren't allowed to talk in church, slavery is ok, you should kill children who swear at their parents, you shouldn't mix fabrics, and you shouldn't cut your hair. What sense does it make to only follow one part of liviticus and then ignore the rest of it?

I'm not sure why some atheists (assuming you are) turn into fundamentalists: it's either all or nothing!

The Bible means different things to different people. There are countless interpretation and there never has been a correct way to read the book. Even Jesus picks and chooses which verse/teachings he likes from Jewish texts (ex: he reinterpret God's orders on divorce) while at the same time claiming that he follows the law.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@hippiesanta said:

Jesus only love nice homosexuals .... no love for those who behave erratic like bitchy and loud mouth drag queens and divas who occasionally throwing tantrums at other people.

Do you ever have anything coherent to say?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@limpbizkit818 said:

I'm not sure why some atheists (assuming you are) turn into fundamentalists: it's either all or nothing!

The Bible means different things to different people. There are countless interpretation and there never has been a correct way to read the book. Even Jesus picks and chooses which verse/teachings he likes from Jewish texts (ex: he reinterpret God's orders on divorce) while at the same time claiming that he follows the law.

Why either all or nothing? Perhaps because we're talking about the will of an omnipotent 'Perfect' being. If the Bible is indeed the inherent word of an inherently perfect being one should expect there to be little to NO wiggle room for interpretation. But like you said, we don't find that. Thousands of denominations exist, leading to the most likely conclusion: The Bible is merely a man made construct. The product of bronze age thinking and customs.

If however followers come out and admit that their god is far from perfect and capable of making HUGE mistakes (which seems to be the case considering the tantrums he throw's all through out), then this all or nothing attitude could be brushed aside. The fact that people insist there isn't a correct way to interpret the manuscript to the ONLY means of salvation is a scary revelation.

So Christians is god perfect or not?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 jasean79

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@limpbizkit818 said:

Why either all or nothing? Perhaps because we're talking about the will of an omnipotent 'Perfect' being. If the Bible is indeed the inherent word of an inherently perfect being one should expect there to be little to NO wiggle room for interpretation. But like you said, we don't find that. Thousands of denominations exist, leading to the most likely conclusion: The Bible is merely a man made construct. The product of bronze age thinking and customs.

If however followers come out and admit that their god is far from perfect and capable of making HUGE mistakes (which seems to be the case considering the tantrums he throw's all through out), then this all of nothing attitude could be brushed aside. The fact that people insist there isn't a correct way to interpret the manuscript to the ONLY means of salvation is a scary revelation.

Yes.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@limpbizkit818 said:

If however followers come out and admit that their god is far from perfect and capable of making HUGE mistakes (which seems to be the case considering the tantrums he throw's all through out), then this all of nothing attitude could be brushed aside. The fact that people insist there isn't a correct way to interpret the manuscript to the ONLY means of salvation is a scary revelation.

Yes.

Interesting, so the Bible is the inherent word of a perfect God.

So is every passage in the Bible worthy of following?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jasean79

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@limpbizkit818 said:

Yes.

Not in a literal sense, no...at least, not ALL Biblical passages.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 HoolaHoopMan

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Why not? If god is perfect it would mean he makes no mistakes. All passages should be worthy of following.

Unless you're telling me the Bible isn't perfect and isn't the inherent word of god front to back.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 jasean79

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Why not? If god is perfect it would mean he makes no mistakes. All passages should be worthy of following.

Unless you're telling me the Bible isn't perfect and isn't the inherent word of god front to back.

Nope, wasn't even going in that direction.

What I mean is, it all depends on the intent of the passage. Some things are to be taken literally like Jesus saying to his apostles to go forth and spread the gospel as in Mark 16:15: "And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation."

There are also parables that Jesus used to convey a particular message, so that should be taken symbolically.

Studying the history of the Bible and its authors usually helps to determine how the passages should be taken. But again, such a thing comes with reading the Bible and gaining the understanding of its content.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@limpbizkit818 said:

@toast_burner said:

@XilePrincess said:

@toast_burner said:

So what makes homosexuality a sin?

Sodomy is the sin. Homosexual males can technically only have 'sex' through sodomy, so that's why the two are often mixed in together. The "thou shalt not lie with mankind as one would with womankind" or whatever it is, is just saying don't have sex with another man in the way you'd have sex with a woman.

You can be gay all you want and kiss up on each other, god just says no buttsex.

But if you follow that part of the bible then you must also follow the parts where it says women aren't allowed to talk in church, slavery is ok, you should kill children who swear at their parents, you shouldn't mix fabrics, and you shouldn't cut your hair. What sense does it make to only follow one part of liviticus and then ignore the rest of it?

Where did I say it's all or nothing? l

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Considering every bit of the Bible was written (and re-written, and re-written, and re-written) by a human, there's no way this book isn't a mish-mash of deception.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Nope, wasn't even going in that direction.

Just answer it. Is the Bible perfect? Ooooh parable this, symbolic that! I wasn't asking if its symbolic or not. You outright admitted that passages in the Bible aren't worthy of following which lead me to ask you that question.

I'm asking a flat out easy question to answer, is the Bible perfect just as you claimed God is? Wouldn't it follow that the Bible, being the inherent word of God, is perfect just as he is?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 HoolaHoopMan

@jasean79 said:

Studying the history of the Bible and its authors usually helps to determine how the passages should be taken. But again, such a thing comes with reading the Bible and gaining the understanding of its content.

Again, if we're to take this approach the outcome leads to thousands of interpretations by thousands of individuals. This method of delivering the ONLY means of salvation to God's most beloved creation seems lazy and incompetent.

Why would God resort to using symbolism and the need to interpret passages with historical context? I would expect an omnipotent being to be capable of creating a timeless classic being incapable of misinterpretation and perversion by man.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By jasean79

@HoolaHoopMan: I'm asking a flat out asking an easy question to answer, is the Bible perfect just as you claimed God is? Wouldn't it follow that the Bible, being the inherent word of God, is perfect just as he is?

I don't think my answer will do much to change your position on the matter, will it?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 GreySeal9

I wouldn't waste my time, HoolaHoopMan. You're never going to get a straight answer on this.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@jer_1 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Considering every bit of the Bible was written (and re-written, and re-written, and re-written) by a human, there's no way this book isn't a mish-mash of deception.

not to mention the contents of it were decided by committee and a lot of it was thrown out.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan: I'm asking a flat out asking an easy question to answer, is the Bible perfect just as you claimed God is? Wouldn't it follow that the Bible, being the inherent word of God, is perfect just as he is?

I don't think my answer will do much to change your position on the matter, will it?

In other words you don't want to answer it. Oh well.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By jasean79

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

Correct. Because I choose not to engage in apologetics on the matter, as I've said before. It's a moot point.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

Correct. Because I choose not to engage in apologetics on the matter, as I've said before. It's a moot point.

I can see you're not into aplogetics as you refuse to critically analyze the tenets and implications of your faith. Critical thinking is a healthy part of this discussion. If you wish to sidestep it then so be it. Seems intellectually lazy.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 jasean79

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

I can see you're not into aplogetics as you refuse to critically analyze the tenets and implications of your faith. Critical thinking is a healthy part of this discussion. If you wish to sidestep it then so be it. Seems intellectually lazy.

Yes, because a thread that was created to poke fun at Jesus Christ is just full of intellect. Right on!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

Yes, because a thread that was created to poke fun at Jesus Christ is just full of intellect. Right on!

How is it poking fun at Jesus?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 HoolaHoopMan

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@jasean79 said:

Like I said, lazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#100  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

If you're a true Christian, and not just a Dogma worshipping CINO, then the Pope said all that needs to be said on the matter.

If they accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn't be marginalized. The tendency [to homosexuality] is not the problem ... they're our brothers."