Is there hope for IIslam to reclaim itself as a peaceful and loving religion?

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178848 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="STurn21"]

"Did I", What are you talking about? I never said anything about you generalizing Muslim nations.

STurn21

Well then I don't know why you are lecturing me on Muslims.:? The Did I was for your Wiki comment.

The only thing in that post that was directed towards you was the little Wiki comment. Everything else was just a general statement for the thread.

I see. Well I answer the former. And since you had quoted me for the rest....
AcronymnsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 AcronymnsFTW
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts
The thread title is amusing. Considering the dark ages was the time when Christianity was at it's height and the fact that the Crusades were one of the most brutal and distgusting war crimes of all time, you could easily pose the same hypothetical question to christianity, or indeed the majority of religions and faiths.
BessenStock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#154 BessenStock
Member since 2009 • 336 Posts

It IS a peaceful religion, there's proof in the Quran.

I doubt this image of Muslims will go away unless Muslims themselves do something about it.

ghoklebutter

Oh yeah, some of the peaceful quotes from this holy and holy religions:

Surah 47-4 "When you meet the unbelievers, strike off their heads; then when you have made wide slaughter among them, carefully tie up the remaining captives"

Surah 5:51 "Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends."

Surah 2:216 "Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it."

The people that say this hateful religion is peaceful need to read it's stuff. Nothing but hate the people that aren't Muslim. And we see how many social services this religions puts forth? Oh, that's right. Car bombing school children or blowing up churches. We can claim it's "the radicals" all day long, but then how do you explain all the mandatory violence in it's 'bible'?

SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#155 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

I remember a time when someone mentioned Islam or Muslim images of fly carpets and magic lamps would fill someones mind.

Now its masked faces and AK-47's

However to anyone that is not ignorant Islam still is a peaceful religion. Unfortunatly ignorant people are very plentiful.

Dank_Dangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Dank_Dangler
Member since 2009 • 374 Posts

The Quran does indeed promote the extermination of infidels, but I am really digging Mohammed Rahim Kushnawaz as we speak- it is some good music. Please let me live until I am done digging these righteous tunes!

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#157 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I refuse to let my perception of Islam be tainted by some extremists who use their religion as an excuse.

NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#158 NBSRDan
Member since 2009 • 1320 Posts
'REclaim'?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#159 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

It IS a peaceful religion, there's proof in the Quran.

I doubt this image of Muslims will go away unless Muslims themselves do something about it.

BessenStock

Oh yeah, some of the peaceful quotes from this holy and holy religions:

Surah 47-4 "When you meet the unbelievers, strike off their heads; then when you have made wide slaughter among them, carefully tie up the remaining captives"

Surah 5:51 "Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends."

Surah 2:216 "Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it."

The people that say this hateful religion is peaceful need to read it's stuff. Nothing but hate the people that aren't Muslim. And we see how many social services this religions puts forth? Oh, that's right. Car bombing school children or blowing up churches. We can claim it's "the radicals" all day long, but then how do you explain all the mandatory violence in it's 'bible'?

We could engage in a quote war all day long, but the fact of the matter is that a good portion of the Qur'an was written when Muhammad was in a war with the Meccans, which was started by the aggression of the latter. So those sections must be read in that context. The word translated into "friend" in Surah 5:51 could be better translated as "protector" or "guardian". The reality on the ground at the time that that section of the Qur'an was written was that Jews, Christians, and Muslims were not exactly on friendly political terms. As such, this command is basically just a reflection of that reality: a Muslim would be foolhardy to go to a group of Jews or Christians and expect them to defend him as though he were part of their group. By no means does this verse even remotely say that Muslims are to be unfriendly towards Jews and Christians. It just means that Jews and Christians are not Muslim, and that Muslims are not Jewish or Christian.

Even with that wartime context, we still find that Muslims are absolutely forbidden from beginning aggression, and are instructed that they must cease hostilities the moment that their enemies no longer wish to fight:

"Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors." (Surah 2:190)

"But if they cease, then Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Surah 2:192)

Taking the Qur'an as though every single verse is a complete thought that exists in isolation is just as wrong as doing the same thing to the Bible or the Torah. They are books, not sets of individual quotations. The separation of chapters into verses is purely to aid in the reference to sections of the text, not to identify individual instructions that may be taken as universal commandments that need no contextual examination. Several of the apparently damning verses in the Qur'an have as their context the situation where the person being instructed is at war with someone else. To act as though the instructions found in such verses are intended to be applied to civilians who are just minding their own business is just plain wrong, and to be perfectly honest I must admit I have doubts about whether people who quote mine the Qur'an in this way are really even remotely interested in actually understanding Islam.

The Qur'an even explicitly says that Jews and Christians will have nothing to fear:

"Those who believe, and those who follow the Jewish scriptures, and the Christians and the Sabians - any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve." (Surah 2:62)

As for social services, historians are largely in agreement that Muhammad did indeed make substantial improvements over what had been before. He denounced aristocratic privilege and a heirarchical class-based society and made strides to help the poor and downtrodden in society. The idea that Muhammad and the early Muslims were just murderous nutcases is about as wrong as you can get.

Delphanius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#161 Delphanius
Member since 2008 • 1176 Posts

I don't know.Ask Al-Qaeda