Is It Constitutional To Ban Happy Meals?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts

I always find it odd when Americans complain about stuff being unconstitutional.

If they think it would improve the countries health then its fine, a piece of paper shouldn't influence that decision

toast_burner

A constitution isn't just a piece of paper.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#202 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]For everyone voting "no," why exactly is it unconstitutional?gamerguru100
Well, I think it's up to the parents to what goes into their kid's stomach.

Pretty much this. Parents, do your effing work at taking care of your kids. Stop banning stuff just because you cant do your job.
grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts

[QUOTE="grape_of_wrath"][QUOTE="Sajo7"] Please point out why it is unconstitutional.Darthmatt

Actually,"It's not american" is best case i've seen in this thread for the lack of a constitutional merit.(In all honesty.)

Then I suppose its also "not American" for government to demand auto makers meet specific safety guidlines? Such as seatbelts and crash safety rules.

That's for the "American" values and norms to decide.The constitution(formal and material) is just a manifestation of said values...A constitution is not static,either,a static state in legislation is the worst possible case scenario.(i'm not going to write about this again,I wrote several posts about it 3-2 pages back).
Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#204 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts

This is madness! (Really)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#205 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]For everyone voting "no," why exactly is it unconstitutional?curono

Pretty much this. Parents, do your effing work at taking care of your kids. Stop banning stuff just because you cant do your job.

I dont see the problem in banning happy meals. they were complete rip offs in the first place.
ThewaycoolKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 ThewaycoolKid
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

We live in a Republic where the states still have the power to regulate commerce within their jurisdiction so far as those laws do not conflict with federal law. For instance, many states ban the sale of alcohol on Sunday morning. Is this fair to the companies that make and sell the alcohol product? No, but since the state regulates the sale of alcohol, it is within the state's right to put legal restrictions on the sale of it. In this case, since there is no violation of federal law, the state has the right to enact the ban.

Darthmatt
It's not quite that simple. The states have their own constitution and must abide by it. There have been many state laws found to be unconstitutional in the courts. Will the restaurant establishment file suit? We'll see.
ThewaycoolKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 ThewaycoolKid
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I always find it odd when Americans complain about stuff being unconstitutional.

If they think it would improve the countries health then its fine, a piece of paper shouldn't influence that decision

toast_burner
Wow, you just blew my mind with your complete lack of anything resembling logic. To try and explain to you how and why America's very being is based on "a peace of paper" would surely be a total waste of time and energy.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]For everyone voting "no," why exactly is it unconstitutional?curono

Yeah, parents should totally let their kids drink all the bottles under the sink!
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#209 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44638 Posts
they're just banning the toys that are used to encourage childhood consumption of fast food, you can still make your kid obese if you so wish but they just don't get a toy with it honestly though I think it's the cheapness of fast food that makes McDonald's and other fast food outlets most appealing
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#210 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

they're just banning the toys that are used to encourage childhood consumption of fast food, you can still make your kid obese if you so wish but they just don't get a toy with it honestly though I think it's the cheapness of fast food that makes McDonald's and other fast food outlets most appealinglamprey263
Cheap? It's not cheap at all. A Happy Meal costs $3. A peanut butter sandwich costs twenty cents.

jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 jman1553
Member since 2009 • 1332 Posts
[QUOTE="jman1553"]Seeing as it was the happy meal that really helped to contribute to me becoming really fat as a kid (and still trying to lose the weight now) yeah, I think it should be banned. Those damn toys.... those damn toys are from Hell! If it weren't for them, I'd probably never ask my mom for fast food so much as a kid.ThewaycoolKid
My God, are you serious? Happy meals contributed to you being a really fat kid? Did the toys in the cereal boxes make you eat the whole box of cereal too? Did that little red bull turn you into an alcoholic as well? Wow, pathetic. You liberals blame everyone but yourselves.

Did I say it was the food's fault? No. Did it contribute? Yes. I was a kid. What the hell else was I supposed to do? I see a toy on a commercial, I have my mom bring home food and a toy. Do you honestly think I'm supposed to have the rational thinking of an adult while in the mindset of a 7 year old? Absolutely not. Not to mention the fact you blatantly call me a liberal, in which fact I am not. I do not know what point you are making here, other than to post your silly ramblings and false accusations of my person being based off of a single post.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#212 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

they should ban happy meals. wont some body please think of the children ?

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#213 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]For everyone voting "no," why exactly is it unconstitutional?airshocker

Please tell me you seriously don't think Happy Meals should be banned. Hypothetically, I mean, since they aren't banned right now.

:lol: That'd be ridiculous.. Food completely will be next! :shock:
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#214 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Hmm I think it's pretty stupid, considering the parent makes the decision to get the happy meal or not. Next thing you know they are doing like japan and making it illegal to be fat.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#215 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts
Woah... How did this get back on the main page? Zombie thread!!!
subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#216 subyman
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts

Why not sell happy meals and then offer to "sell" the parent a toy for 1 penny? That seems to get around the issue since the parent buys the toy from them and it is not included.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts

No it's not constitutional, and it's a stupid question. It's a "goodwill" law that has no founding in any sort of constitutional basis. The constitution never grants the privilege of restricting trans fats or deciding what is right or wrong for parents to buy for their children. It's idiotic and, quite frankly, un-American.

ptree01
For the most part, the Constitution does not affirmatively grant powers to state or local governments; it merely recognizes that whatever rights are not reserved to the federal government remain with the states or the people. A state or local government's "police powers" (the power to legislate for public safety, for example) originate in the state's own sovereignty, as delineated in the state's own constitution. A state action does not have to be founded upon any specific provision of the federal constitution (unlike the federal government itself, which is supposed to be a government of limited powers). The state just has to avoid violating the specific rights guaranteed to individuals by the federal constitution.
MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

Hell no. If parents want to feed their kids McDonalds, then let them. If they don't. Then they don't.

I used to eat them all the time and it hasn't killed me yet.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

I think that San Francisco law is stupid

testfactor888

agreed 100%

i agree with this as well

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#220 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

Hell no. If parents want to feed their kids McDonalds, then let them. If they don't. Then they don't.

I used to eat them all the time and it hasn't killed me yet.

MrsSolidSnake

When I was a kid that was all I ate. It was a year after I stopped eating them that I went through a fat phase.