Is It Constitutional To Ban Happy Meals?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts

And coke and doritos often entice people with free music downloads and other free things. Why have they not been regulated yet?

See consensus,social norms etc.I'm not advocating for anything,i'm saying they have merit in this decision,and the right to make that call.

And considering the very idea of a pure democracy would be everyone votes, majority decides what happens to everyone....yeah I'd call that tyranny of the majority.

Wonderful,that's not how Tyranny of the majority is defined in a legal sense.If it's,admittedly,Solly, by your own criteria-that's your prerogative...

Good thing the US is not a pure democracy.

Kind of a hard thing to define,don't you think? By today's standards the Athenian democracy isn't a democracy at all....What is "pure" democracy?
Pixel-Pirate

With-Hatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 With-Hatred
Member since 2009 • 926 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]For everyone voting "no," why exactly is it unconstitutional?gamerguru100
Well, I think it's up to the parents to what goes into their kid's stomach.

Obviously the average parent lacks the responsibility needed judging by the Obesity epidemic in this country.

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 grape_of_wrath
Okay people it's 4:00 am And I have class in the morning. ....:x
hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts

1)Law is Social norm,period.

And any sociology,social-studies,law,state-science,whatever(go look up your own list),will tell you that.

2)"True and full" democracy is a hard concept to define.

3)Checks on the "democratic process" are subject to the democratic process.If the American congress chose to change the constitution-so that the USA was devoted to the worship of LordXenu,they can. But for the decision to hold it needs to be based on a wide consensus. -The democratic process in a nutshell.

4)"Happy Meals in their current form are not detrimental to /others/ the parents, acting as the legal guardian and upholder/exerciser of the child's rights isn't harming anyone else when they allow their kids to have a happy meal. Thus, they are not using their right to impede on the rights of others."

It's not up to you to decide what's detrimental to persons rights(and by extension- society) that's the work of the legislator and the courts.If there is a consensus that Happy meals make for a great violation on personal children's rights-that's what matters.and that's what counts when balancing with other rights and values.

grape_of_wrath

No, Law and Societal Norms are not interchangeable things. If this were true, we'd have a whole lot of religious law and that we don't currently have.

Pure Democracy is tyranny of the majority, that's what I was referring to as "True and Full". The US does not currently operate a pure/direct democracy. The checks are not up for discussion, as that would violate the nature of the Constitution. Sure, you could hold a constitutional convention to make your example accepted, but then again you need such an overwhelmingly large majority that it's not likely that tyranny will be able to come about. Plus you are forgetting that the US Military is pledged to defend the constitution and would probably remove anyone who sought to turn the Constitution into something it isn't.

You're right, it's not up to me to determine what is detrimental to people. However neither is it up to the legislature in this case. The Constitution is extremely clear here, where there is no reasonable expectation of harm to others (IE purchasing a "unhealthy" hamburger meal) that the government and courts cannot dictate what a person does or pass any legislation to influence it. There is no harm to anyone other than myself if I choose to eat an unhealthy meal and don't exercise afterwards, same goes for the parent/child unit. You're still trampling upon the child's rights by having someone not their parents deciding what is best for them. Are you going to have child services taking away children after their parents' give them a happy meal? Of course not, so you shouldn't be regulating the sale of a happy meal.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#155 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

And coke and doritos often entice people with free music downloads and other free things. Why have they not been regulated yet?

See consensus,social norms etc.I'm not advocating for anything,i'm saying they have merit in this decision,and the right to make that call.

And considering the very idea of a pure democracy would be everyone votes, majority decides what happens to everyone....yeah I'd call that tyranny of the majority.

Wonderful,that's not how Tyranny of the majority is defined in a legal sense.If it's,admittedly,Solly, by your own criteria-that's your prerogative...

Good thing the US is not a pure democracy.

Kind of a hard thing to define,don't you think? By today's standards the Athenian democracy isn't a democracy at all....What is "pure" democracy?
grape_of_wrath

The laws definition really doesn't matter in something that really has no place in US law because it isn't a practice of US law, it's a term given to a type of society. A term far older than the US.

A pure democracy would be

Two wolves and a sheep vote on what to eat for dinner,

The US is a constituional republic. We vote in people and hope they act as we want. Joe schmoe should not be able to vote on many things.

I wouldn't want a white man in the majority voting on the rights of a minority group.

And yes they have the right to make the call. They also have the right to ban any clothing made of polyester. It'd be stupid and serve no point.

I honestly find it absurd that people somehow think a happy meal (around 700 calories?) once a week=worse than a bag of doritos (like 600 calories) 2 times a day with 4 cans of coke (800 calories total).

Yes surely it's that once a week binge that causes those 200 pound kids. Surely it is not the parents feeding them ice cream, doritos, coke, and chili dogs at home. SURELY those same parents who could care less about their kids health at home will get the healthy more expensive alternative at mcdonalds.

SURELY!

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
No, how dare you be happy when you eat a meal?.
grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 grape_of_wrath

The laws definition really doesn't matter in something that really has no place in US law because it isn't a practice of US law, it's a term given to a type of society. A term far older than the US.

Two wolves and a sheep vote on what to eat for dinner

Then that's your way of defining democracy by,most, modern standards,however-A democracy has to have both the concept of the rule of the people by vote,and the protection of the rights of the individual.

They also have the right to ban any clothing made of polyester. It'd be stupid and serve no point.

No,they don't.to make that call they have to have a purpose in accordance with the 'constitutional'Values(Which aren't always in the formal constitution,btw)of the USA ,a wide agreement in the public and ,to pass judicial scrutiny,a lack of a serious harm(resulting in a damage to democracy)to other major constitutional values.

Pixel-Pirate

Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#158 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts
If they can ban drugs on the basis of them being bad and harming society, then I think it would be a logical step to ban unhealthy foods.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

Technically straight up pure democracy is the very definition of the tyranny of the majority.

Personally I just don't see the point of this. I understand peoples good intentions but this is like banning airsoft guns to stop shooting homicides. Happy meals are not anywhere near the biggest problem of society. Heres a list of things far more important to ban or regulate to fight obesity.

Doritos

Ice cream

Candy

All sodas

Video games

Computers

TV

Cheese

Halloween

Inactivity of any kind.

I'd say all of those (even halloween) contribute more to obesity than a happy meal once a month does.

Pixel-Pirate

All of these relate to happy meals. Holloween? I wouldn't. If you want more candy you are going to have to walk...and San Fran is hilly or so I've heard.

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 grape_of_wrath

You're right, it's not up to me to determine what is detrimental to people. However neither is it up to the legislature in this case. The Constitution is extremely clear here, where there is no reasonable expectation of harm to others (IE purchasing a "unhealthy" hamburger meal) that the government and courts cannot dictate what a person does or pass any legislation to influence it. There is no harm to anyone other than myself if I choose to eat an unhealthy meal and don't exercise afterwards, same goes for the parent/child unit. You're still trampling upon the child's rights by having someone not their parents deciding what is best for them. Are you going to have child services taking away children after their parents' give them a happy meal? Of course not, so you shouldn't be regulating the sale of a happy meal.

That's why Law represents a change in the social agenda.And that's why we have laws banning theselling of tobacco w/o a proper warning(for andexample that's exactly like the one we are discussing),the values of society change,and with them-legislation changes.And if it comes to a time where the constitution does not fit the values of the society it represents-it will be amended.But that does not matter here-because there is no negation of this legislation by the constitution...
hokies1313

This discussion is futile if you do not accept legal and socialdogma 101. All you had to do was google 'social norms and law'-Here's wikipedia's take on it(Notice the references section).

Also-The legislator can do everything he wants,The people who passed the Constitution in the first place were the legislators.The legislator,as the manifestation of the will of the public,can shape the state in whatever way he deems fit.

The constitution is not static,like any legislation,it's prone to change.it's the prerogative of the people to change it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50629 Posts

No, but it's the supreme court and they don't care for constitution (slight exaggeration...but only slight).

Actually it's funny because I was just watching a Futurama episoide..."I'm going to allow it."

If anyone gets that, you're awesome.

BigSexy63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 BigSexy63
Member since 2010 • 415 Posts
The federal government has the right to regulate all interstate commerce, so they can pretty much do whatever the **** they want.
The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

It's unconstitutional!

I just want my Megamind toys! :x

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Pixel-Pirate

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

Two wolves and a sheep vote on what to eat for dinner

Then that's your way of defining democracy by,most, modern standards,however-A democracy has to have both the concept of the rule of the people by vote,and the protection of the rights of the individual.

They also have the right to ban any clothing made of polyester. It'd be stupid and serve no point.

No,they don't.to make that call they have to have a purpose in accordance with the 'constitutional'Values(Which aren't always in the formal constitution,btw)of the USA ,a wide agreement in the public and ,to pass judicial scrutiny,a lack of a serious harm(resulting in a damage to democracy)to other major constitutional values.

grape_of_wrath

No, thats my way of defining a direct or pure democracy which is different from a repersentitive democracy where representitives are elected to decide things.

And yes they do have the right as long as they can make up an excuse and get some popular backing. The fact this was passable should prove that.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Pixel-Pirate

No, but it's the supreme court and they don't care for constitution (slight exaggeration...but only slight).

Actually it's funny because I was just watching a Futurama episoide..."I'm going to allow it."

Chutebox

Could you explain to me how it's unconstitutional and why no one cried about the unconstitutionality of banning various other products?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#166 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
What I find stupid is that they only target McDonalds. If they really want to do good, they need to go after kids meals in all the other chains, and might as well stop cereal makers from putting toys in their cereal.
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Goddammit, people. They're banning toys in kids meals. When's the last time you bought a kids meal and why does it matter to you right now? You're not missing out on anything and neither are the tykes who live in San Francisco. Grow up.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

No, but it's the supreme court and they don't care for constitution (slight exaggeration...but only slight).Chutebox

Ugh, Jesus Christ it doesn't have a dammed thing to do with the Supreme Court. Please understand the subject before commenting on it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
Constitutional to ban them? No. Wrong to ban them? Yes. I don't see why they should be able to do that although I don't know many details.Nintendevil
one of the details is that they aren't banning them
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Serraph105
What I find stupid is that they only target McDonalds. If they really want to do good, they need to go after kids meals in all the other chains, and might as well stop cereal makers from putting toys in their cereal. JustPlainLucas
they are actually. The media is only talking about Happy Meals because it's what comes to everyone's minds first.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

Goddammit, people. They're banning toys in kids meals. When's the last time you bought a kids meal and why does it matter to you right now? You're not missing out on anything and neither are the tykes who live in San Francisco. Grow up.

Shad0ki11
Perhaps it is you who need to grow up and stop trying to look down on others. A very immature thing to do
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Shad0ki11

[QUOTE="Shad0ki11"]

testfactor888

Perhaps it is you who need to grow up and stop trying to look down on others. A very immature thing to do

When's the last time you ordered a kids meal?

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#173 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

[QUOTE="testfactor888"][QUOTE="Shad0ki11"]

Shad0ki11

So it only matters if it effects you directly I take it? maybe the parents just want to be able to treat their kids to something they enjoyed in their youth on the odd occasion, you add grow up to the end of your post yet clearly you can't be any older than your mid teens... again the world does not revolve around you or your age grouping!
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Shad0ki11

[QUOTE="Shad0ki11"]

[QUOTE="testfactor888"] Perhaps it is you who need to grow up and stop trying to look down on others. A very immature thing to doSapSacPrime

So it only matters if it effects you directly I take it? maybe the parents just want to be able to treat their kids to something they enjoyed in their youth on the odd occasion, you add grow up to the end of your post yet clearly you can't be any older than your mid teens... again the world does not revolve around you or your age grouping!

I'm 21.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

No, but it's the supreme court and they don't care for constitution (slight exaggeration...but only slight).worlock77

Ugh, Jesus Christ it doesn't have a dammed thing to do with the Supreme Court. Please understand the subject before commenting on it.

So angry, I thought it was the supreme court ordering McD to sell healthy happy meals? If not, my bad. Life goes on man, not a big deal... But my comment still stands!
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

No, but it's the supreme court and they don't care for constitution (slight exaggeration...but only slight).Chutebox

So angry, I thought it was the supreme court ordering McD to sell healthy happy meals? If not, my bad. Life goes on man, not a big deal... But my comment still stands!

A cursory reading of the thread would have dispelled any misgivings you had. And for the record I am not angry at all, nor was I when I typed that post.

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#177 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

San Francisco did not ban happy meals, and I am annoyed by the fact that people think it did. :P

GabuEx

im annoyed about all the talk of is it constitutional or not. the constitutionhas no provisions or ammendemants stating what bussinesses specifically restraunts can or cannot do when the sale of food involves children.

On topic.I cannot say yes or no becuase i belive the question is phrased incorectlly. its not wherther its constituional but whether the laws in California, San Fransisco specifically and the USFederal laws prohibit or allow such actions. Is it legal or not i cant say im not a law expert. do i agree with it, no i dont.

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts

Chutebox
Hyper-chicken - Your honor i'd like to call to stand the entire jury Judge - I'm going to allow this Something like that, great episode hahaha
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

A cursory reading of the thread would have dispelled any misgivings you had. And for the record I am not angry at all, nor was I when I typed that post.

You sure do sound like it. And again, I assumed it was the supreme court because I thought the news, not this thread, said it was. **** happens lol.

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
[QUOTE="dunl12496"]

HECK NO!! This is absolutely RIDICULOUS! Freedom of business! You can't do that! ******* idiots.

What do you think? In a calmer manner.... no I do not believe so.

well we are feeding our kid posion(MSG) so yes banning the happy meal is a good start.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#182 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Whatever slows McDonald's and its empire of dirt food.CRS98
If you don't want it, don't buy it. The reason they continue to exist is because hundreds of millions choose to eat there.
ThewaycoolKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 ThewaycoolKid
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Yes, it's constitutional, but...

no, it isn't appropriate, however...

no, I wouldn't lift a finger to protest such a ban;

nor would I lift a finger to enact such a ban.

There are real societal consequences and costs to the obesity epidemic, so society has an interest in dealing with it. I do not approve of this particular regulation, which I believe to be missing the plot, but Government not only has the right, it has the clear responsibility to regulate commerce, even and especially at the Federal level. It can be argued that regulation of commerce is one of the primary motivations for the creation of the Constitution after the Articles of Confederation failed, partly due to a lack of power to regulate commerce. Local governments have always, and will always have the right to deny anything not specifically granted as a right not to be abridged under the Constitution, and those rights are few in number, very famous, and do not include the right to buy a happy meal.

Seiki_sands
You're semi-correct on the states rights, but it's not nearly as point blank as you make it sound. However I'd like to address the issue of weight in America. You've been fed too much government, media and pharmaceutical propaganda. Agenda's abound, honesty is hard to come by. American's live longer today than at any point in our nations history. and are not fatter (see study below). Oh and the rate of obesity in kids have not risen. The whole issue is based on the government issued "one-size-fits all".. NOT) Body mass index (BMI) scale, a measure of body fat based on height and weight. This government "standard" is beyond a joke. It doesn't take into account body type, bone structure, muscle mass, etc. A prime Mike Tyson at 5"11 and 220 lbs is obese, not overweight, but OBESE according to the government. Have you ever seen a prime Mike Tyson? I'm 5"9, 210 lbs, no one.. and I mean no one.. would look at me and think I'm overweight, much less obese as the government rates me. I'm a competitive mountain bike racer and at 40 years old just 5 pounds heavier than my wrestling weight in high school. According to BMI a 6"4, 250 pound man is obese. Tell that to half the NFL quarterbacks! It's nonsensical to put any faith in such a ridiculous "standard" which doesn't apply to tens or hundreds of millions of people with different body types. Don't believe me though.. you can get it straight from the horses mouth. According to the CDC there has been no change in America's weight from 2000 to 2008, the last such study conducted. http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1953206,00.html
jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 jman1553
Member since 2009 • 1332 Posts
Seeing as it was the happy meal that really helped to contribute to me becoming really fat as a kid (and still trying to lose the weight now) yeah, I think it should be banned. Those damn toys.... those damn toys are from Hell! If it weren't for them, I'd probably never ask my mom for fast food so much as a kid.
ThewaycoolKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 ThewaycoolKid
No amount of government regulation can fix bad parenting. Bad parents will always be bad parents. It doesn't stop liberals from imploring government to step in to American families and take the place of Daddy and mommy, though. Because somehow, liberals think that they are smarter than all of us, more capable than all of us, and so if they only make all of our decisions for us America will be perfect in every way shape and form.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Serraph105
[QUOTE="jman1553"]Seeing as it was the happy meal that really helped to contribute to me becoming really fat as a kid (and still trying to lose the weight now) yeah, I think it should be banned. Those damn toys.... those damn toys are from Hell! If it weren't for them, I'd probably never ask my mom for fast food so much as a kid.ThewaycoolKid
My God, are you serious? Happy meals contributed to you being a really fat kid? Did the toys in the cereal boxes make you eat the whole box of cereal too? Did that little red bull turn you into an alcoholic as well? Wow, pathetic. You liberals blame everyone but yourselves.

he never said he was liberal.
quetzalcoatI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 quetzalcoatI
Member since 2010 • 627 Posts

I understand that people do not want to feel as though their freedom is being encroached upon. However all of those defending the right of companies to market things to children however they please and that parents should be the ones should be the ones to step between kids and their happy meals need to understand an important fact. Their are people working for all these companies who have dedicated their lives to understanding how to manipulate people into buying things that are bad for them, or even things that they don't want.I admire the conservative ideal that individual personal responsibility should trump all, but that has to be counter balanced by the fact that it is unrealistic in today's world to expect that parents have the time, energy, and intellect to provide a healthy diet consistently to their children.

We all know obesity, specifically childhood obesity, has become a major social and medical problem across the world. Their are many reasons for this which probably include peoples overall dissatisfaction with their lives in this society. Without a doubt, however, the availability of cheap unhealthy food is having a huge part in this. So, my question to those who are acting as though San Francisco has taken a piss on George Washington's grave is this: What should be done about it? Should we let the world fall to obesity which will take a huge toll on health care, economies, and peoples overall enjoyment of life in the name of freedom, or should we take small steps like controlling what corporations can market to children, to help make America a healthier place?

ThewaycoolKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 ThewaycoolKid
I understand that people do not want to feel as though their freedom is being encroached upon. However all of those defending the right of companies to market things to children however they please and that parents should be the ones should be the ones to step between kids and their happy meals need to understand an important fact. Their are people working for all these companies who have dedicated their lives to understanding how to manipulate people into buying things that are bad for them, or even things that they don't want.I admire the conservative ideal that individual personal responsibility should trump all, but that has to be counter balanced by the fact that it is unrealistic in today's world to expect that parents have the time, energy, and intellect to provide a healthy diet consistently to their children.quetzalcoatI
Unrealistic in today's world? lol. This is pure nonsense. My wife and I have no problem whatsoever raising our kids with good morals and healthy eating habits. Why would it take any more time an energy than when we were growing up? The same junk foods have been around for many decades. Our kids eat right and occasionally (i.e rarely) eat anything considered junk food. Every once in a great while we'll grab a burger or a candy bar etc. It's all about moderation. The occasional happy meal, regardless of the number of calories or fat, is fine and will do no harm. A piece of cake, a couple slices of pizza, an ice cream cone etc every now and then is not the problem. parents should be the ONLY ones deciding what their kids eat. Government should have no roll whatsoever in such decisions. That's what supposed to make this country different from the rest of the world. The world is not a perfect place, it never will be and trying to regulate perfection is a useless cause.
We all know obesity, specifically childhood obesity, has become a major social and medical problem across the world. Their are many reasons for this which probably include peoples overall dissatisfaction with their lives in this society. Without a doubt, however, the availability of cheap unhealthy food is having a huge part in this. So, my question to those who are acting as though San Francisco has taken a piss on George Washington's grave is this: What should be done about it? Should we let the world fall to obesity which will take a huge toll on health care, economies, and peoples overall enjoyment of life in the name of freedom, or should we take small steps like controlling what corporations can market to children, to help make America a healthier place?quetzalcoatI
America is not getting fatter, nor are our kids. Did you not see the CNC's very own study I posted a link too? There has been NO change in America's overall weight for the past decade! We are not getting fatter! This is the governments own study. The fact is Americans live longer today than at any other point in history.
ThewaycoolKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 ThewaycoolKid
[QUOTE="ThewaycoolKid"][QUOTE="jman1553"]Seeing as it was the happy meal that really helped to contribute to me becoming really fat as a kid (and still trying to lose the weight now) yeah, I think it should be banned. Those damn toys.... those damn toys are from Hell! If it weren't for them, I'd probably never ask my mom for fast food so much as a kid.Serraph105
My God, are you serious? Happy meals contributed to you being a really fat kid? Did the toys in the cereal boxes make you eat the whole box of cereal too? Did that little red bull turn you into an alcoholic as well? Wow, pathetic. You liberals blame everyone but yourselves.

He didn't have to.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#191 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

We live in a Republic where the states still have the power to regulate commerce within their jurisdiction so far as those laws do not conflict with federal law. For instance, many states ban the sale of alcohol on Sunday morning. Is this fair to the companies that make and sell the alcohol product? No, but since the state regulates the sale of alcohol, it is within the state's right to put legal restrictions on the sale of it. In this case, since there is no violation of federal law, the state has the right to enact the ban.

Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
For everyone voting "no," why exactly is it unconstitutional?chessmaster1989
Its business pure and simple. The government should interact with that, thats not their job or duty. ITS NOT AMERICAN to get invloved in such activities. No one is forced to buy a happy meal.
Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Kokuro_Kun
[QUOTE="ThewaycoolKid"][QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="ThewaycoolKid"] My God, are you serious? Happy meals contributed to you being a really fat kid? Did the toys in the cereal boxes make you eat the whole box of cereal too? Did that little red bull turn you into an alcoholic as well? Wow, pathetic. You liberals blame everyone but yourselves.

He didn't have to.

Ouch, i feel that one over here just reading that.
Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Kokuro_Kun
[QUOTE="jman1553"]Seeing as it was the happy meal that really helped to contribute to me becoming really fat as a kid (and still trying to lose the weight now) yeah, I think it should be banned. Those damn toys.... those damn toys are from Hell! If it weren't for them, I'd probably never ask my mom for fast food so much as a kid.ThewaycoolKid

Preach it brother!
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#195 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]For everyone voting "no," why exactly is it unconstitutional?Kokuro_Kun
Its business pure and simple. The government should interact with that, thats not their job or duty. ITS NOT AMERICAN to get invloved in such activities. No one is forced to buy a happy meal.

Please point out why it is unconstitutional.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Darthmatt

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]For everyone voting "no," why exactly is it unconstitutional?Kokuro_Kun

The government gets involved all the time. You ever heard of the FDA and USDA? This is beside the point. This is really a States right issue and has nothing to do with the federal government getting in the way. State and local government have the right to enforce laws that control commerce within their jusridiction as long as its not in conflict with federal law. As far as I know, there is no federal law that says a corporation has the unlimited right to make and sell any product they wish.

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 grape_of_wrath
[QUOTE="Kokuro_Kun"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]For everyone voting "no," why exactly is it unconstitutional?Sajo7

Actually,"It's not american" is best case i've seen in this thread for the lack of a constitutional merit.(In all honesty.)
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#198 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I always find it odd when Americans complain about stuff being unconstitutional.

If they think it would improve the countries health then its fine, a piece of paper shouldn't influence that decision

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#199 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts

I always find it odd when Americans complain about stuff being unconstitutional.

If they think it would improve the countries health then its fine, a piece of paper shouldn't influence that decision

toast_burner

It isn't unconstitutional anyway.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Darthmatt

[QUOTE="Sajo7"][QUOTE="Kokuro_Kun"]Its business pure and simple. The government should interact with that, thats not their job or duty. ITS NOT AMERICAN to get invloved in such activities. No one is forced to buy a happy meal.grape_of_wrath

Actually,"It's not american" is best case i've seen in this thread for the lack of a constitutional merit.(In all honesty.)

Then I suppose its also "not American" for government to demand auto makers meet specific safety guidlines? Such as seatbelts and crash safety rules.