Is D-Day, saving private ryan realistic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LS07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 LS07
Member since 2007 • 945 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

And yet they got it wrong.....amazing.

jointed

Let's see....veterans that lived through it vs jointed....hmm....I'm going with the vets on this one.:lol:

No...It's more like, Movie made by Hollywood vs Photos taken on the actual day of the landings.

you realize most things were censored back then, most photos were not taken until they had the chance to get the bodies off the beaches

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
If we're to believe that film is an artform, then we must not indict it simply on the grounds of fantasy; it is meant to have a message, not to portray life. We are living. If we wish to, we may look upon life at any time. The point of art is to let you into someone else's skin for a bit or else just hear one tiny little point from them.
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jointed"]It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.jointed

Really? That's quite common....

No...it's not. No Allied commander (well except the Russians maybe) would sendhis troops against a beachhead with 8 metre high bunkers and without proper naval or air support as seen in the movie.

Absolutely. The plan was expected to take many more casualties then it actually did. Compared with what was expected, D-Day was very successful.
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 EboyLOL

If we're to believe that film is an artform, then we must not indict it simply on the grounds of fantasy; it is meant to have a message, not to portray life. We are living. If we wish to, we may look upon life at any time. The point of art is to let you into someone else's skin for a bit or else just hear one tiny little point from them.quiglythegreat

Profound times infinity.

Sgt_Randall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Sgt_Randall
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts
No. It isn't.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

LS07

Let's see....veterans that lived through it vs jointed....hmm....I'm going with the vets on this one.:lol:

No...It's more like, Movie made by Hollywood vs Photos taken on the actual day of the landings.

you realize most things were censored back then, most photos were not taken until they had the chance to get the bodies off the beaches

Ehm no...There're plenty of photos taken where you see dead soldiers.

Once again, YES it was horrific and very sad and I'm not trying to downplay that, but the movie exaggerates...

mark4091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 mark4091
Member since 2007 • 3780 Posts
Jointed, you're an idiot for saying it wasin't actually that bad, look up WWI that is even worse, everyday they would just blow a whistle and you would jump out of the trench and run into gun fire.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts

[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]If we're to believe that film is an artform, then we must not indict it simply on the grounds of fantasy; it is meant to have a message, not to portray life. We are living. If we wish to, we may look upon life at any time. The point of art is to let you into someone else's skin for a bit or else just hear one tiny little point from them.EboyLOL

Profound times infinity.

Look, I'm in a trippy mood. For some reason walking downtown got me a tad down. But yes, I am teh deepz. i r lizenz ta tha beetls n fob
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 EboyLOL
[QUOTE="EboyLOL"]

[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]If we're to believe that film is an artform, then we must not indict it simply on the grounds of fantasy; it is meant to have a message, not to portray life. We are living. If we wish to, we may look upon life at any time. The point of art is to let you into someone else's skin for a bit or else just hear one tiny little point from them.quiglythegreat

Profound times infinity.

Look, I'm in a trippy mood. For some reason walking downtown got me a tad down. But yes, I am teh deepz. i r lizenz ta tha beetls n fob

I don't really get why you were so pissed off, but that isn't to say you don't spew profoundedness.
Blu_Falcon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Blu_Falcon37
Member since 2006 • 4041 Posts

[QUOTE="mark4091"]Jointed, you're an idiot for saying it wasin't actually that bad, look up WWI that is even worse, everyday they would just blow a whistle and you would jump out of the trench and run into gun fire.jointed

You do realize how bloody stupid that sounds right?"You're an idiot for saying that it wasint actually that bad"...Is that so? Are you some kind of Saving Private Ryan worshipper or what? And World War 1 is irrelevant...

How is WWI irrelevent?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

[QUOTE="mark4091"]Jointed, you're an idiot for saying it wasin't actually that bad, look up WWI that is even worse, everyday they would just blow a whistle and you would jump out of the trench and run into gun fire.Blu_Falcon37

You do realize how bloody stupid that sounds right?"You're an idiot for saying that it wasint actually that bad"...Is that so? Are you some kind of Saving Private Ryan worshipper or what? And World War 1 is irrelevant...

How is WWI irrelevent?

It's irrelevant to the current discussion...

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

The breakdown of US casualties was 1465 dead, 3184 wounded, 1928 missing and 26 captured. Of the total US figure, 2499 casualties were from the US airborne troops (238 of them being deaths). The casualties at Utah Beach were relatively light: 197, including 60 missing. However, the US 1st and 29th Divisions together suffered around 2000 casualties at Omaha Beach.

Over 425,000 Allied and German troops were killed, wounded or went missing during the Battle of Normandy. This figure includes over 209,000 Allied casualties, with nearly 37,000 dead amongst the ground forces and a further 16,714 deaths amongst the Allied air forces. Of the Allied casualties, 83,045 were from 21st Army Group (British, Canadian and Polish ground forces), 125,847 from the US ground forces. The losses of the German forces during the Battle of Normandy can only be estimated. Roughly 200,000 German troops were killed or wounded. The Allies also captured 200,000 prisoners of war (not included in the 425,000 total, above). During the fighting around the Falaise Pocket (August 1944) alone, the Germans suffered losses of around 90,000, including prisoners.

-Source

Very little went as planned at Omaha on D-Day. Difficulties in navigation caused the majority of landing craft to miss their targets throughout the day. The defenses were unexpectedly strong and inflicted heavy casualties on US troops as they landed. Under heavy fire the engineers struggled to clear the beach obstacles, causing later landings to bunch around the few channels that had been cleared. Weakened by the casualties taken just to land, the surviving assault troops could not clear the heavily defended exits off the beach, causing further problems and consequent delays for later landings. Small penetrations were eventually achieved by groups of survivors making improvised assaults, scaling the bluffs between the most heavily defended points. By the end of the day two small isolated footholds had been won and which, against weaker defenses further inland, were subsequently exploited to achieve the original D-Day objectives over the following days

As infantry disembarked from the landing craft, they found themselves almost everywhere on sandbars 50 to 100 yards (45 to 90 m) out. Before they could even reach the beach they had to wade through water sometimes neck deep, and they still had a 200 yard (180 m) or more journey to go when they did reach the shore. Those that made it to the shingle did so at a walk, so heavily laden were they. Most sections had to brave the full weight of fire from small arms, mortars, artillery and the heavy interlocking fields of machine gun fire.[27]

-Source
fourier404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 fourier404
Member since 2006 • 515 Posts
You think D-Day was bad? At the battle of Stalingrad Soviet troops would be sent on charges against German positions, and if they started to retreat, Russian officers would have machine guns waiting to mow down their own troops.
Nazzdreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#65 Nazzdreg
Member since 2005 • 183 Posts
Well it all started out good in this thread, but now the arguments are getting silly. How about you just look it up and make your own decision about how realistic it was or not. Being a little bit of a history buff, It was portrayed quite well. Sure Hollywood added a little extra. When don't they? But seriously, saying it wasn't that bad is like saying the Holocaust never happened
Sgt_Randall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Sgt_Randall
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts
Hahaha. Yup, let's all believe what Enemy At The Gates showed us.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Well vets can always make mistakes.. being old, then you have this thing for example, Say one of the vets during d-day was in a hole, alot of dead guys around him and has an mg being shot at him. Well it was chaotic for him, since really a shell landed there earlier, explaining all the dead bodies and the hole and he has 1 mg firing at him.. Its chaotic for him!, but another guy could be running up the beach w/o getting shot at and his experience is not as bad as the other guy.. I duno, i just saw a few vids on the landing and I didn't see men getting slaughtered right from the boats and they made mistakes during band of brothers, since it was hard for them to remember.. its just IMO :)! Im pretty sure it was still nasty and Im no vet :D
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

[QUOTE="mark4091"]Jointed, you're an idiot for saying it wasin't actually that bad, look up WWI that is even worse, everyday they would just blow a whistle and you would jump out of the trench and run into gun fire.jointed

Dude, they lost hundreds of lives for inches of land. D-Day was no different. Like LJS said earlier, it's the objective that matters. Soldiers aren't completely worthless but if it takes a couple of thousand soldiers to take over a well-defended piece of territory, it's gonna get done.

And explain to me why the soldiers weren't fired upon as soon as they hit the beach?

akai_reaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69 akai_reaver
Member since 2004 • 7754 Posts
[QUOTE="Dethshoot"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

Photos will never do justice to actual events, true. But the photos taken show that it was not nearly as bad as in the movie...It was horrific, I'm sure, but the movie exaggerates a whole lot.

jointed

I'm bettingactual eventswere worse...

Yeah, since nobody actually died during the movie scene....

Except the guy shot by the sniper... and alot of Germans... and Allied soldiers... :|

They were firing live rounds? That's bold Spielberg....bold indeed.

Fail.

Ehm...no? :roll:

This is getting on my nerves. I've really hit a nerve here, if you Americans really think this is such a sacred event, I'll not say more about it.

D Day is a huge event. > >

It's considered a turning point in the war for god sakes.

pokeracc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#70 pokeracc
Member since 2006 • 2198 Posts

jointed

No I think it was Vets vs Jointed. I have to laught at Jointed's history? Where are you from? Whose your history teacher? Tell him to teach you something about D-Day

Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"]

[QUOTE="mark4091"]Jointed, you're an idiot for saying it wasin't actually that bad, look up WWI that is even worse, everyday they would just blow a whistle and you would jump out of the trench and run into gun fire.DeeJayInphinity

Dude, they lost hundreds of lives for inches of land. D-Day was no different. Like LJS said earlier, it's the objective that matters. Soldiers aren't completely worthless but if it takes a couple of thousand soldiers to take over a well-defended piece of territory, it's gonna get done.

And explain to me why the soldiers weren't fired upon as soon as they hit the beach?

War rules? You know, because they're actually practiced in war.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f8be37da70d
deactivated-58f8be37da70d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-58f8be37da70d
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.jointed

Oh really? Thousands of men died that day. It had to be done.

Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#73 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts
There were some minor flaws such as the sniper not readjusting his sights when shooting at different distances and his remarkable accuracy, but compared to the overall picture, it doesn't matter.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

War rules? You know, because they're actually practiced in war.

thirstychainsaw

Ahh right.. they passed that war law which states than an enemy force cannot fire at an army enjoying a nice day at the beach. Yep, the Nazis respected that law. I was so wrong, sorry jointed. :P

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
No, the battles on the beaches that the Americans landed on lasted about 24 hours, it wasn't the 20 minute rush like in the movie, but as far as brutality goes, if anything, the movie doesn't do it justice.
Raider47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Raider47
Member since 2006 • 525 Posts
all the interveiws and just plain talk around with my fellow elders that know WW2 vets. yeah its suposed to be the most accrute reanactment of DDAY
Putzwapputzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#77 Putzwapputzen
Member since 2005 • 4462 Posts
well of course its not realistic. but its pretty darn close, and it says its based off a real life experience. soo yeah sure its a little dazzlled up for hollywood purpose, but its not straying from the truth.
treytakahashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#78 treytakahashi
Member since 2006 • 1749 Posts
Steven gave particular detail to history, most of it is pretty much what went down. He went out and interviewed handfuls of vets to tell there story and compiled them all into one, and even showing them in the film in a way, For example in the opening on the beach you will notice that a guy getting off one of the boats has the Star of David on his back Pack. This detail was added when he interviewed the guy who did that in 44' so in all it is pretty darn close the the real deal. But if you want to know what really went down, ask a Vet on what happend and sit and listion, after all that is how we learn about our past.
FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts
All I can say is if you look at some of the actual footage from just the aftermath of D-Day Spielberg tuned it down.
treytakahashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#80 treytakahashi
Member since 2006 • 1749 Posts
All I can say is if you look at some of the actual footage from just the aftermath of D-Day Spielberg tuned it down.FlaminDeath

True that, I got photos documenting most of the event. However most of it was lost due to the main photographer on the first wave of men lost most of his film due to his assistant rushing the developing on the negatives, so the first half only has about 8 photos, all that survived :(
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jointed"]It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.jointed

Really? That's quite common....

No...it's not. No Allied commander (well except the Russians maybe) would sendhis troops against a beachhead with 8 metre high bunkers and without proper naval or air support as seen in the movie.

Yes...it is. I'm betting the actual events were worse, and the words and guidance of actual veterans of the operation beats your undereducated analysis of a few, select photos.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

Ehm...no? :roll:

This is getting on my nerves. I've really hit a nerve here, if you Americans really think this is such a sacred event, I'll not say more about it.

jointed

No one's nerves were "hit", except maybe the nerves of veterans that heard your statements, but even then I doubt they care enough about you to feel that. Not everyone arguing with you here about this topic is American either, so I guess you threw that in to annoy people before you make your leave. You can't argue your stance very well at all, since it's a poorly conceived one.

The movie scene accurately portrayed the events at Omaha beach. There is nothing to debate here, really.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178880 Posts

NO it did not...

You don't know **** since you weren't there, the only thing we can base our opinion on is the god damn photos...Please just ...stop, the movie DID NOT portray the events accurately at all...Geeze :roll:

jointed

Wrong again jointed. The photos are an aid....but the basis is the word of vets. They lived through it. They know more than you would....

The movie was PRAISED for it's realistic depiction of combat. But hey...wait...hold on vets. Jointed knows the truth...you are wrong. Jeez:roll:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 LJS9502_basic

This has nothing to do with my knowladge about D-day or world war 2. I unlike many in this thread didn't smoke crack in history class and actually watched the real photos and not some hollywood movie.

jointed

I agree with you there because it's obvious you weren't IN history class.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts

This is how it really happened.

FlaminDeath
lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

NO it did not...

You don't know **** since you weren't there, the only thing we can base our opinion on is the god damn photos...Please just ...stop, the movie DID NOT portray the events accurately at all...Geeze :roll:

LJS9502_basic

Wrong again jointed. The photos are an aid....but the basis is the word of vets. They lived through it. They know more than you would....

The movie was PRAISED for it's realistic depiction of combat. But hey...wait...hold on vets. Jointed knows the truth...you are wrong. Jeez:roll:

But I can see that it wasn't nearly as bad.

Picture 1. Okay, first, this is the famous picture of THE FIRST landcraft to reach the beach, according to saving private ryan there're supposed to be dead soldiers everywhere. EXAGGERATION 1.

Picture 2. The beach ISN'T littered with dead soldiers as seen in the movie. And keep in mind, this isn't days after the landings....you SEE 3 or 4 dead soldiers lying around, that indicates that they haven't removed the dead yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

This has nothing to do with my knowladge about D-day or world war 2. I unlike many in this thread didn't smoke crack in history class and actually watched the real photos and not some hollywood movie.

LJS9502_basic

This has nothing to do with my knowledge about history. It's about how I'm able to differ HISTORY from fiction.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Check out Band of Brothers and The Thin Red Line.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 LJS9502_basic

Picture 1. Okay, first, this is the famous picture of THE FIRST landcraft to reach the beach, according to saving private ryan there're supposed to be dead soldiers everywhere. EXAGGERATION 1.

Picture 2. The beach ISN'T littered with dead soldiers as seen in the movie. And keep in mind, this isn't days after the landings....you SEE 3 or 4 dead soldiers lying around, that indicates that they haven't removed the dead yet.

jointed

They had to get to the beach first to be killed there. That's the landing dude.:|

The battle lasted much longer in reality than in the movie.It would be condensed for time. The first ones to the beach would naturally find no dead bodies. That picture proves nothing. sorry.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
 Picture 1. Okay, first, this is the famous picture of THE FIRST landcraftjointed
How are they supposed to be dead if they just landed :lol: Obviously the bodies will add up :roll:
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 LJS9502_basic

jointed

This has nothing to do with my knowledge about history. It's about how I'm able to differ HISTORY from fiction.

No...your view of history is what YOU want to believe. Vets were consulted in the making of that movie. It was very intense and many couldn't watch the finished project.

History is made up of events and told by the SURVIVORS. I don't get why you can't understand that vets KNOW what happened and unless you can prove you were there.....your OPINION is incorrect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

They had to get to the beach first to be killed there. That's the landing dude.:|

The battle lasted much longer in reality than in the movie.It would be condensed for time. The first ones to the beach would naturally find no dead bodies. That picture proves nothing. sorry.

The picture proves that the first soldiers to land on the beach wasn't slaughtered....The most violent and regognized scenes in the movie claims to be from this moment.

I'm outta here....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 LJS9502_basic

The picture proves that the first soldiers to land on the beach wasn't slaughtered....The most violent and regognized scenes in the movie claims to be from this moment.

I'm outta here....

jointed

Wow....is history always this badly taught in the UK?...it's a known fact DDAY was bloody. And those are the first soldiers. THERE WOULD BE NO DEAD BODIES. Your argument makes no sense.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 LJS9502_basic

I'm outta here....

jointed

Wow....is history always this badly taught in the UK?...it's a known fact DDAY was bloody. And those are the first soldiers. THERE WOULD BE NO DEAD BODIES. Your argument makes no sense.

Are you really this stupid or are you just acting?

The soldiers seenin the picture would be DEAD. I can't see any god damn dead soldiers yet can YOU? The movie exaggerates the opening scene beyond recognition.

Read this jointed...one account of many.....and I'm far from stupid so you keep your insults to yourself.

Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

I'm outta here....

LJS9502_basic

Are you really this stupid or are you just acting?

The soldiers seenin the picture would be DEAD. I can't see any god damn dead soldiers yet can YOU? The movie exaggerates the opening scene beyond recognition.

Read this jointed...one account of many.....and I'm far from stupid so you keep your insults to yourself.

Here

These kind of storys are based on subjective tellings..proves nothing.

Show me a picture that just barely resembles the movie scene.

I know my history, and I'll insult you as long as you insult me mate....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 LJS9502_basic

jointed

So...a kid on the internet looks at some pictures and knows more than the suriviors that actually lived through it. Wow.

Dead bodies are subjective. Wow.

You DON'T know your history if you think DDAY was bloodless.

And I haven't insulted anyone here......unlike yourself.:|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

So...a kid on the internet looks at some pictures and knows more than the suriviors that actually lived through it. Wow.

Dead bodies are subjective. Wow.

You DON'T know your history.

And I haven't insulted anyone here......unlike yourself.;)

You're commenting my knowledge of history based on what I write, I comment your intelligence based on what you write....what's the difference?

What the hell are you talking about? Many died yes, but not like we're shown in the movie. I've shown you the pictures, now please just stop it...