Is D-Day, saving private ryan realistic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slicknet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slicknet
Member since 2003 • 2627 Posts

Watching it right now, can't help but feel its got a good bit of hollywood hype, well there is no covering fire from the sea or air, no smoke cover, Must have known about the axis defences on the beach. Surely allies must have to give their soliders the best chance possible of survival, slack?

No use in talking about all this now but its such a powerful opening in SPR and it would be nice to know how realistic this really is. It seems like one German machine gun vs the whole allied army, and they cant take these out by air before the landing = daft?

Band of Brothers > Saving Private Ryan.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
I'm a WWII veteran and yes, SPR's D-Day scene was almost perfectly realistic.
Mumbles527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mumbles527
Member since 2004 • 7706 Posts
It was very realistic. How do you expect them to cover miles of beach before they even get there?
RiSkyBiZ-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 RiSkyBiZ-13
Member since 2007 • 1448 Posts
Read a history book, then make a decision.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
history is how spielbergwants it :P
slicknet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 slicknet

history is how spielbergwants it :PLoG-Sacrament

correct

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 tekmojo
Member since 2006 • 1425 Posts
They interviewed surviving WWII Vets for this movie, after completing it they described it as being eeriely accurate.
Cedric169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Cedric169
Member since 2005 • 2138 Posts
Yea I think, It doesn't get more realistic than that, even if tarantino direct the movie
Anamosa41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Anamosa41
Member since 2006 • 3594 Posts

Watching it right now, can't help but feel its got a good bit of hollywood hype, well there is no covering fire from the sea or air, no smoke cover, Must have known about the axis defences on the beach. Surely allies must have to give their soliders the best chance possible of survival, slack?

No use in talking about all this now but its such a powerful opening in SPR and it would be nice to know how realistic this really is. It seems like one German machine gun vs the whole allied army, and they cant take these out by air before the landing = daft?

slicknet
I have read a lot about D-Day so I can somewhat answer your question. It is quite realistic but they did have some covering fire from air but not so much from the ships. The ships did try to soften the area before the troops landed but in stead it made it a little worse except for providing some holes to take cover in. They did as much as they could to help the troops but there really wasn't that much that they could do. The opening scene was fairly realistic to answer your question.
LS07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LS07
Member since 2007 • 945 Posts
It's funny you brought it up because I'm righting a paper on this very topic and overall it is incredibly realistic
Proobie44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Proobie44
Member since 2006 • 5663 Posts
I think the gory description of it is enough. Real enough for me.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts
You really should read about The Atlantic Wall. There wasn't much that could be done until boots hit the ground.
slicknet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 slicknet

You really should read about The Atlantic Wall. There wasn't much that could be done until boots hit the ground.br0kenrabbit

Good link, thanks, well that pretty much explains it. 6 million mines laid..

Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

slicknet

either you're really young and haven't taken history in school, or you are just .... well.. i want to say really ignorant, but that just souds mean......

trickmyster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trickmyster13
Member since 2005 • 2017 Posts
They had tanks on D-day but they didnt show them in the movie.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 br0kenrabbit
They had tanks on D-day but they didnt show them in the movie.trickmyster13
On Omaha Beach, the landing depicted in Saving Private Ryan, nearly all the tanks were lost due to rough seas.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
It's as realistic as they could get...without the actual death.;)
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.jointed

Really? That's quite common....

Nazzdreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 Nazzdreg
Member since 2005 • 183 Posts
Ask the WW II vets that saw it and left within 15 min of the movie starting because of the horrid flashbacks they got from the opening scene, There were many brought to tears and hysterics over it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

[QUOTE="jointed"]It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.LJS9502_basic

No...it's not. No Allied commander (well except the Russians maybe) would sendhis troops against a beachhead with 8 metre high bunkers and without proper naval or air support as seen in the movie.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jointed"]It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.jointed

No...it's not. No Allied commander (well except the Russians maybe) would sendhis troops against a beachhead with 8 metre high bunkers and without proper naval or air support as seen in the movie.

The re-creation of said event was realistic. That has happened countless times in countless wars.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 br0kenrabbit

jointed
You obviously don't know your history very well.
Hellraiser3899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Hellraiser3899
Member since 2005 • 10060 Posts
I know, because I was there.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
Are some of you guys idiots or something? That bloodbath that took place in the beginning scenes of Saving Private Ryan, did happen in real life. Thats pretty much how it happened. The Omaha beach landings were a disaster for the Americans if you don't think of the fact they won. Everything was miscalculated. The fire support from the bombing runs and ship support didn't do anything. And the amphious tanks that were supposed to support the Americans on Omaha all sank before hitting the beaches.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jointed"]It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.jointed

Just because it's not shown in the movie doesn't mean it never happened.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 br0kenrabbit
I know, because I was there.Hellraiser3899
Me too. I was the guy running across the beach naked as a distraction. It worked.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jointed"]It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.LJS9502_basic

The re-creation of said event was realistic. That has happened countless times in countless wars.

Well, the first troops didn't get shot as soon as the landingcraft's door opened for example. It's as realistic as possible, considering it was made by Hollywood. This has happened countless times in countless wars? No it has not...and what's your point?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic

Well, the first troops didn't get shot as soon as the landingcraft's door opened. It's as realistic as possible, considering it was made by Hollywood. This has been happened countless times in countless wars? No it has not...and what's your point?

jointed

Troops are expendable to achieve an objection.....fact of war.

You need to read up on some war history.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CommanderShiro
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Well, the first troops didn't get shot as soon as the landingcraft's door opened. It's as realistic as possible, considering it was made by Hollywood. This has happened countless times in countless wars? No it has not...and what's your point?

............You really don't know anything about the Omaha beach landings do you?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jointed"]It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.CommanderShiro

Well, the first troops didn't get shot as soon as the landingcraft's door opened. It's as realistic as possible, considering it was made by Hollywood. This has happened countless times in countless wars? No it has not...and what's your point?

............You really don't know anything about the Omaha beach landings do you?

Probably more than you..:roll:

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CommanderShiro
[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

I really doubt that with the comments you've made in this topic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

Well, the first troops didn't get shot as soon as the landingcraft's door opened. It's as realistic as possible, considering it was made by Hollywood. This has been happened countless times in countless wars? No it has not...and what's your point?

LJS9502_basic

Troops are expendable to achieve an objection.....fact of war.

You need to read up on some war history.

What exactly should I read up on? I'm just basing my statements on photos takenfrom that D-day....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="CommanderShiro"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jointed"]It's very, very exaggerated....No allied commander would send his troops to a death trap like that.CommanderShiro

I really doubt that with the comments you've made in this topic.

Please tell me what comments of mine you think are inaccurate.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

What exactly should I read up on? I'm just basing my statements on photos takenfrom that D-day....

jointed

You seem to think the troops are more important than objectives....and that's not always the case. I suggest reading some war histories...you may learn something.

Photos will never do justice to actual events....they are but a mere glimpse.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CommanderShiro

No...it's not. No Allied commander (well except the Russians maybe) would sendhis troops against a beachhead with 8 metre high bunkers and without proper naval or air support as seen in the movie.jointed

Well it did happen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

You seem to think the troops are more important than objectives....and that's not always the case. I suggest reading some war histories...you may learn something.

Photos will never do justice to actual events, true. But the photos taken show that it was not nearly as bad as in the movie...It was horrific, I'm sure, but the movie exaggerates a whole lot.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic

Photos will never do justice to actual events, true. But the photos taken show that it was not nearly as bad as in the movie...It was horrific, I'm sure, but the movie exaggerates a whole lot.

jointed

I'm betting actual events were worse...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

I'm bettingactual eventswere worse...

Yeah, since nobody actually died during the movie scene....

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

jointed

Except the guy shot by the sniper... and alot of Germans... and Allied soldiers... :|
LS07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LS07
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

jointed

Look they were advised by veterans who were there, they put millions of dollars into making it as close to the real thing as they could.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

MattUD1

Except the guy shot by the sniper... and alot of Germans... and Allied soldiers... :|

They were firing live rounds? That's bold Spielberg....bold indeed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

LS07

Look they were advised by veterans who were there, they put millions of dollars into making it as close to the real thing as they could.

And yet they got it wrong.....amazing.

Dethshoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 Dethshoot
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
[QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

jointed

Fail.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic

jointed

Let's see....veterans that lived through it vs jointed....hmm....I'm going with the vets on this one.:lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="MattUD1"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jointed"]

Dethshoot

Fail.

Ehm...no? :roll:

This is getting on my nerves. I've really hit a nerve here, if you Americans really think this is such a sacred event, I'll not say more about it.

LS07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LS07
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

Let's see....veterans that lived through it vs jointed....hmm....I'm going with the vets on this one.:lol:

well said

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

No...It's more like, Movie made by Hollywood vs Photos taken on the actual day of the landings.