Is 19 years old too young to get engaged?

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Hey guys, so I'm in a relationship with a girl that I've been together with about 2 and a half years now. More and more lately it's been going through my mind of proposing to her. We've got a great relationship and I want to make it official to spend my life with her.

The only problem is my friends aren't exactly the most supportive. They always tell me you're too young, don't go it. dont rush things etc etc. They always mock me and say that I'm just tying myself down. But see I don't care about that, I don't care about crap like 1 night stands and banging some chick I only just met. I like the emotion part of a relationship- the connection. In the end I don't care what they think.

I love her alot and somehow the thought of proposing feels so right. Back in Serbia its common to wait till you're around 30 to get married but thats wayy too long for me to wait. And I'm not sure how US marital customs go.

My friends say I disrespect the culture but I am in US now, so sometimes don't we have to forget about following culture so strictly and do what makes us happy? thats what i always thought anyways. My parents seem pretty supportive and they said that as long as I still continue pursuing my education they'd be supportive all the way. Which I am doing and will continue to do as I'm going for a degree in Law

Anyways a little advice? is 19 too young?

TheNewEraIcon

It depends on how many wives you plan to have in the future.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
You seem like someone who knows what he wants. You sound confident enough, devoted enough and hard working enough. Given all that, I still tell you to wait a year or two before you get married. Get engaged if you want but with the thought of getting married in a year or two.
Noteldnep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#53 Noteldnep
Member since 2005 • 20170 Posts

19 is a little young to get engaged, but you might not be making a mistake if you've thought through all the consequences that will result, and if you've prepared for it.

TChaivong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 TChaivong
Member since 2004 • 3693 Posts

If you could pay for everything, who cares!?

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Maybe, depends on the person really. These days people graitate towards nuptials in later life, but that's not to say it can't work. The social norm not so long ago was to be wed at a far younger age (but whose to say they were happy eh? Well I guess the wife was sticking a couple of valium up her arse every morning - even the hoovering had a pleasent, slightly smacked out groove to it). But times-a-changed - pressures on the young uns are different these days, on top of which social expectancy has shifted so getting wed early will be swimming against the tide of the social norms around you - prematurely shifting into a new life phase can be isolating in itself. Tough, I would say.

Regardless - why bother anyway? Marriage is just so passe these days. Who needs a ring to convey a betrothment.

PS - I was with a girl for a couple of years at 19 and wanted to marry her. Let's just say thank fuk I didn't.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I would say it definitely is.

At the very least wait until sround mid 20's I'd say, and that's if you have a well-paying job by then as well.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

"is 19 years old too young to get engaged?"

what the phuck do you think??? i dont even need to read the post the title alone tells me this is a bad idea

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#58 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Hey guys, so I'm in a relationship with a girl that I've been together with about 2 and a half years now. More and more lately it's been going through my mind of proposing to her. We've got a great relationship and I want to make it official to spend my life with her.

The only problem is my friends aren't exactly the most supportive. They always tell me you're too young, don't go it. dont rush things etc etc. They always mock me and say that I'm just tying myself down. But see I don't care about that, I don't care about crap like 1 night stands and banging some chick I only just met. I like the emotion part of a relationship- the connection. In the end I don't care what they think.

I love her alot and somehow the thought of proposing feels so right. Back in Serbia its common to wait till you're around 30 to get married but thats wayy too long for me to wait. And I'm not sure how US marital customs go.

My friends say I disrespect the culture but I am in US now, so sometimes don't we have to forget about following culture so strictly and do what makes us happy? thats what i always thought anyways. My parents seem pretty supportive and they said that as long as I still continue pursuing my education they'd be supportive all the way. Which I am doing and will continue to do as I'm going for a degree in Law

Anyways a little advice? is 19 too young?

TheNewEraIcon

This is probably one of the most thoughtful and inspiring posts I've read on here in a long time. I feel as though personally, I'm not ready to get married yet, but that's just me. If you met someone who you truly feel like you could spend the rest of your life with, then go for it. I wish you the best.

As for culture and all that stuff, I'm not saying to ignore it, but maybe just realize that the words of advice are just that. They don't mean the same thing to everybody and for different reasons. Some people SHOULD wait till they're older to get married, but this isn't the ideal situation or circumstance for every person or couple.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Short Answer: Yes.

Long answer: You're too naive and don't have enough experience living with a woman. Loving a woman and living with one are two separate things. Unless you plan on having children real soon, there is absolutely no reason for you to marry someone.

AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#60 AussieePet
Member since 2010 • 11424 Posts
Nope im 17 and my bf is 20 i we're engaged. As long as you're sure about it go for it :)
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
Nope im 17 and my bf is 20 i we're engaged. As long as you're sure about it go for it :)AussieePet
I suspect you've been with each other for a long time?
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#62 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It totally depends on how mature the two of you are, but I don't think 19 is too young. Get engaged and wait until you're 20 to get married - that's certainly not too young. I got married when I was 24 and was fairly immature for my age, and we've had a great marriage for 23 years.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
IMO, yes. Those years of your life are usually filled with tremendous personal growth and change (gaining knowledge and wisdom, forming your beliefs as you break away from the beliefs of your family, moral development, etc). Now take into account that you have 2 people undergoing such change. Add to that that you are trying to decide who to spend the rest of your life with... My point is that you have two people deciding they want to spend the rest of their lives with another person, but the problem is that these two people will probably be very different people in a few years from now. People are always changing. The person you are today is not the person you will be tomorrow due to life experiences. Sometime the change is small (almost immeasurable), and sometimes it is large. People either grow and change together or they grow apart. This is hard enough when people are more 'mature' and things are more 'set'. The odds of success when people have so much room for growth is very small. Does this mean it can never work? Of course not. It just means that what you are 'buying' today is not what you will be opening a few years year from now...the 'product' will be vastly different...as will the person opening the box
TheWZRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 TheWZRD
Member since 2012 • 605 Posts
[QUOTE="AussieePet"]Nope im 17 and my bf is 20 i we're engaged. As long as you're sure about it go for it :)FMAB_GTO

*calls chris hansen*
DDRMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DDRMom
Member since 2008 • 1360 Posts
I don't think its too young to get engaged as long as going into it you both agree to finish school before you actually get married or start a family. Or if TC is uncomfortable getting engaged, he could give her a promise ring. I've been with my spouse (we never did get married lol) since I was 18 and we've been together 19 years so sometimes young love does work out.
AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#66 AussieePet
Member since 2010 • 11424 Posts
[QUOTE="AussieePet"]Nope im 17 and my bf is 20 i we're engaged. As long as you're sure about it go for it :)FMAB_GTO

If you call 2 years a long time then i think so
criminalscum87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 criminalscum87
Member since 2011 • 288 Posts

19 is a little young, especially if you're in your fist year of college. Give it another year or two.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#68 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

If you'be been with them that long and want to sepnd the rest of your life with her, go for it. Have you thought about moving in togethor before marriage because if you get a house/apartment you can tell what goes up and what goes down with two couple living togethor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Maybe.

If it doesn't work out you could just get a divorce later down the road, but that could effect you financially

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 GazaAli

Maybe.

If it doesn't work out you could just get a divorce later down the road, but that could effect you financially

toast_burner
prenup?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

Maybe.

GazaAli

prenup?

Not really sure how they work since they aren't allowed in my country so I've never bothered looking into it.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 GazaAli

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]

Maybe.

toast_burner

prenup?

Not really sure how they work since they aren't allowed in my country so I've never bothered looking into it.

As far as I know, the wife basically sign an agreement that in the case of a divorce, she will get pretty much nothing out of it.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 rawsavon
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] prenup?GazaAli

As far as I know, the wife basically sign an agreement that in the case of a divorce, she will get pretty much nothing out of it.

only counts what they had before they got married in almost all cases, not what they acquired together ...so pretty useless for most 19 years olds (how many have very much before marriage at that age) He could be screwed if he lives in a state with alimony though. (thankfully Texas does not have that. divorce would just = spitting what they had acquired together 50/50)
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#74 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Well yeah, financially you're probably wayyyy too young and whether or not if you love her... You gotta first understand the concept of forever.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
It's not too young, it is stupid however. Don't you want to finish school and stuff first? You can love eachother without a ring too you know. No need to rush things.
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I'd suggest to wait a few more years, you're both still in a developing phase of your life. You're probably still studying or just starting your carreer right now.
I would wait a couple of years until you are settled down a bit more to make the right decision. If you think the same at 25 then go for it :-)

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
I'd say wait a couple more years TC, 1 year at least. YOu don't want to rush into anything.
Smileyvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Smileyvirus
Member since 2010 • 232 Posts
Its not too young to get engaged, but don't even think of marriage until you can both support yourselves and live together. I've heard of couples here in the uk that have gotten married and still live with their respective parents....
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
19 is fine, provided you're financially and mentally capable of caring for not only yourself but also her, and living together while you do your degree and work to support you both. If she's about the same age as you, you're both going to be broke as hell for a while if you're working and going to school. That sounds like a lot, so personally in your situation, I'd either go the promise ring route right now, or if she's the kind, opt for a long engagement. I've been with my boyfriend since our second year of highschool, and I do want to marry him but the time isn't right now, so we're waiting until it is. It's lovely that you love her that much, but being poor or not being on the same page about life and each other yet might be the poke your life needs to fall apart. A relationship takes work, and marriage takes twice as much because you are shackled to each other for better or for worse. I wouldn't take to heart a lot of the comments I'm seeing being made here. Particularly the LUL U R NOT IN LUV kinds, because those people have probably not been in a long term relationship. Get engaged if you want, but stay away from getting married until you're financially stable.
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#80 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

I had a class with a girl who I assume was my age or a little older (you really couldn't tell by looks) and she was married. A friend of mine is already talking marriage in a few years, and the dude seems to have his life together financially and all. I have to say that I admire people like that. If you've got a plan that'll work, go for it.

Otherwise, it'll turn into Blue Valentine. If any of you have watched that movie, that's pretty much a cautionary tale. Great film, but depressing as sh!t.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

I suppose it depends on the people involved.

When we were married, I was 19 and my wife was 18. 16+ years later doing well. So, it worked for us but again, may not be for everyone.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

Yes, yes it is.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
It depends on you. Some people are stupid and irresponsible even if they reach their 50s while others are quite the opposite in their 20s.
Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
Like mindstorm said, you need to know what you are getting into. This is a big commitment and you have to follow through with it so I would think it through and then think it through moreover. I have a friend who was married at 19 and they are still married.
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

Yes, well at least for me. I need to whore around a little bit more.

Edit- LOL @ you 'falling in love' in only two years.

Fightingfan

How can you not fall in love in two years of a decent relationship?.. or find someone you love BEFORE you start dating.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#86 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I'm 20 and I still feel like a kid. So, yes.CoolSkAGuy
Same here. I'm 19 and I've been in my relationship for just over 3 years. There's absolutely nothing good that comes from marrying early.
Hellfireknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Hellfireknight
Member since 2006 • 125 Posts

Yes, I know from experience. I'm 21 and at this time last year I had just gotten engaged. I spent $1200 on a ring and then broke up with her 4 months later because I decided she wasn't the right girl for me. Just make sure it's what you want to do before you do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#88 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It's a little young, but if you are certain, go for it. Most people like to wait until they at least have some financial security or a plan, but that's not the end of the world if you dont.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 rawsavon

Yes, I know from experience. I'm 21 and at this time last year I had just gotten engaged. I spent $1200 on a ring and then broke up with her 4 months later because I decided she wasn't the right girl for me. Just make sure it's what you want to do before you do it.

Hellfireknight

...I would have dumped your ass too. F*ckin' cheapa$$.

Hellfireknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Hellfireknight
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

[QUOTE="Hellfireknight"]

Haha, not everyone has endless money to spend on women, plus I broke up with her.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 rawsavon
[QUOTE="Hellfireknight"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]

[QUOTE="Hellfireknight"]

Haha, not everyone has endless money to spend on women, plus I broke up with her.

at least you did not care about getting it back then
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Nope im 17 and my bf is 20 i we're engaged. As long as you're sure about it go for it :)AussieePet

Laughed very hard.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#93 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
I always throw age out the door because there are tons of people who are like 50 and have been married like 7 times and many who act like they have the mind of a 13 year old. I think you should move in with her, though. See what she is like under the same roof for a while. Still feel that way? Marry her. Don't wait too long like 8 years or something because then you probably won't even marry her... so then you know she probably isn't right for you if you waited that long. Maybe she is, you know better than we would. I guess my answer is kinda yes and kinda no.
Hellfireknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Hellfireknight

[QUOTE="Hellfireknight"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]

rawsavon

Na, I let her keep it, it's the right thing to do when you break up with them. She was a nice girl, just not the right one for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Na, I let her keep it, it's the right thing to do when you break up with them. She was a nice girl, just not the right one for me.

Hellfireknight

Hope you learned your lesson. That was an expensive mistake.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Hellfireknight"] Haha, not everyone has endless money to spend on women, plus I broke up with her.Hellfireknight

/previous trolling That good to do (on your part). Also best you found out now rather than later. ...hope you guys were able to part as friends (though that is often easier to do in your shoes than in her's)
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 rawsavon
You are one hell of a lurker ...almost a 6 year old account
megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts

1) If you haven't lived together, you need to do that before proposing.

2) Many people change once they're married and have that commitment. Don't be surprised if she suddenly doesn't want any part in those hobbies you enjoy, but aren't necessarily something women usually enjoy (e.g. fishing was a big one for my dad. My dad and his first wife would always go fishing together when they were dating. After marriage, he couldn't get her to go fishing for the life of him). For me, my wife never complained about my video games while we were dating. After marriage, it was a completely different story. She started complaining about them constantly, saying I spent all my time on them. Clearly, 4-6 hours a week was all my time.

3) Discuss a plan for money before marriage. Will it all go into one big pot? Will you both have personal accounts for things you enjoy and a joint account for rent, groceries, and other bills? Money is important, and you will need a plan for it. My experience here: the big pot works well if only one person is working. It tends to encourage thrifty behavior on the part of both people. If both partners are working, though, the big pot can create some serious problems. Once my wife found a job (she had to search 6 months with this recession), she suddenly started differentiating between HER money and OUR money. Guess who had to pay for all the bills and put the remainder into savings. She'd have a conniption if I spent $20 every couple weeks going out with friends or buying a game.

4) Faith... if you're not the same faith, it can cause friction. Religion also does funny things to otherwise normal people. I've known people who loved and were devoted to each other split up over this. Hell, they were perfect for each other, but he was an atheist and she was a devout Christian. When he wouldn't believe the same things she did, she broke up. They've regretted it ever since, but she won't budge on her stance.

I'd also like to reiterate what has already been said. You're 19. From 19-25, expect some very major changes in who you are.

Hellfireknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Hellfireknight

[QUOTE="Hellfireknight"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"] at least you did not care about getting it back thenrawsavon

/previous trolling That good to do (on your part). Also best you found out now rather than later. ...hope you guys were able to part as friends (though that is often easier to do in your shoes than in her's)

Yes we are still friends, we were good friends before we got together so that helps. And yes I did learn my lesson haha, but you gotta make mistakes to learn from them. Yeah I figured that I would start posting on the forums now, I used to just come to the site for news.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Hellfireknight"] Na, I let her keep it, it's the right thing to do when you break up with them. She was a nice girl, just not the right one for me.

Hellfireknight

Yes we are still friends, we were good friends before we got toghether so that helps. And yes I did learn my lesson haha, but you gotta make mistakes to learn from them. Yeah I figured that I would start posting on the forums now, I used to just come to the site for news.

yeah. you can basically chalk up most of my major learning experiences in life to mistakes.
...learn and move on