Is 19 years old too young to get engaged?

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 TheNewEraIcon
Member since 2009 • 12196 Posts

Hey guys, so I'm in a relationship with a girl that I've been together with about 2 and a half years now. More and more lately it's been going through my mind of proposing to her. We've got a great relationship and I want to make it official to spend my life with her.

The only problem is my friends aren't exactly the most supportive. They always tell me you're too young, don't go it. dont rush things etc etc. They always mock me and say that I'm just tying myself down. But see I don't care about that, I don't care about crap like 1 night stands and banging some chick I only just met. I like the emotion part of a relationship- the connection. In the end I don't care what they think.

I love her alot and somehow the thought of proposing feels so right. Back in Serbia its common to wait till you're around 30 to get married but thats wayy too long for me to wait. And I'm not sure how US marital customs go.

My friends say I disrespect the culture but I am in US now, so sometimes don't we have to forget about following culture so strictly and do what makes us happy? thats what i always thought anyways. My parents seem pretty supportive and they said that as long as I still continue pursuing my education they'd be supportive all the way. Which I am doing and will continue to do as I'm going for a degree in Law

Anyways a little advice? is 19 too young?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Yes, well at least for me. I need to whore around a little bit more.

Edit- LOL @ you 'falling in love' in only two years.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

is 19 too young?

TheNewEraIcon

yes

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Only you can answer that.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts
Yeah, you are at just in your first year of college, at least go through a couple more years and accustom yourself to college life before getting married.
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
I think marriage is for when you are ready to start a family. At 19 you most likely cannot support a family. It wouldnt hurt to make that decision 5 years from now. 2 years together and love does not mean that nothing can go wrong.
TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheNewEraIcon

Fightingfan

Whats funny bout that? lol as I said we have a great relationship and its 2 and a half years

Some ppl get engaged after 1

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Fightingfan

Not sure what you find funnny about that...

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

It depends, if you know she's the one and you know this won't ever change with her. Sure, it's fine.

But it'd probably be best to finish school, or whatever you're doing, and find a decent job.

Becaues for 1. If you survive throughout your schooling, you know you have a good bond.

And 2. you actually have a job and money to raise a child, pay for the wedding, and honeymoon.

So I'd say 19 is too young.

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
Need a little more life experience.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Good God yes.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

TheNewEraIcon

Whats funny bout that? lol as I said we have a great relationship and its 2 and a half years

You can't know EVERYTHING about a person in only two years. Why would you even think of marriage at a young age? Do you own a house? Do you own a car? At least be financially secure before you get ahead of yourself.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
I'm 20 and I still feel like a kid. So, yes.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i didn't read the OP, but f*ck yes 19 is too young to get engaged

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
Not necessarily too young just know what you are getting yourself into. You must first be willing to love her more than you love yourself and that's merely the starting point. You must commit to the idea beyond mere emotion and you must learn how to live your lives for the sake of the other.
Vighneshvara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vighneshvara
Member since 2011 • 54 Posts
If you can handle that there's like a 95% chance you will divorce before 35, then go for it.
TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheNewEraIcon

[QUOTE="TheNewEraIcon"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Fightingfan

You can't know EVERYTHING about a person in only two years. Why would you even think of marriage at a young age? Do you own a house? Do you own a car? At least be financially secure before you get ahead of yourself.

I don't know everything, but imo do you need to know everything? some people spend their whole lives together not knowing everything about their significant other. To be honest I don't think knowing everything matters. What is important should be as long as you know the real them and that you guys have a chemistry

I have a car, I'm a student in college and I work as well. Good enough for an apartment atm, plus she has a job too and my income will increase after my internship begins

Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blue_Shield
Member since 2010 • 2610 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Pirate700

Not sure what you find funnny about that...

I am not sure, either. I could understand if he were questioning the concept of love itself, but 2 years is perfectly normal.

Hell, in high school, my science teacher married her husband after 10 days.

Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts
I would never recommend getting engaged that young but I suppose to each their own.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Seems a little early to me. People change quite a bit from the teens to mid 20's. I would suggest waiting a couple years to make such a big commitment.
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

Though, on rare occasions, some people are happy to settle forever at such a young age it's far more likely your relationship will end within the next two to three years instead. Proposing would be foolish imo.

Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

If you can afford it go ahead.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#23 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Don't you want to live a little!?
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Wait until you are able to financially support yourself.
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

Don't you want to live a little!?Wilfred_Owen

"To live" is highly subjective.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fightingfan
Wait until you are able to financially support yourself.Lonelynight
My thoughts exactly, that's like people who want to have children at a young age, but can't even pay a freakin' car payment.
Clydefrog92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Clydefrog92
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts
I'm 19 and still getting breastfed. Of course it's too young!
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
It's all rainbow and butterflies when you're 19 and you're inlove Seems like this is a decision you're making in a rush, you're still young, wait a couple of more years it's not like it's gonna kill you, what's the worst that could happen? it's not like she's going to leave you I mean she loves you... doesn't she? Of course this is coming from a 20 year old guy maybe I don't have enough experience but I think I have some common sense, it's either waiting a couple of years to be sure, or living your life regretting you didn't wait
Clydefrog92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Clydefrog92
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts
[QUOTE="Darthkaiser"]It's all rainbow and butterflies when you're 19 and you're inlove Seems like this is a decision you're making in a rush, you're still young, wait a couple of more years it's not like it's gonna kill you, what's the worst that could happen? it's not like she's going to leave you I mean she loves you... doesn't she? Of course this is coming from a 20 year old guy maybe I don't have enough experience but I think I have some common sense, it's either waiting a couple of years to be sure, or living your life regretting you didn't wait

I don't know what you are talking about. i don't like girls yet
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

19 is p. young. Virtually every 19-year-old is an idiot with no foresight.

Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts
Marriage is not just love, or sheer emotion. It's about sticking with eachother through ups and downs. It's about responsibility. Though theres nothing wrong with marriage after two years, 19 is young bro. :P I'd say wait a few more years, and just keep growing your relationship.
Salacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Salacon
Member since 2003 • 1460 Posts

The only thing I want to know is whether or not you are living with her. Until you have lived together (and on a side note, had sex), I cannot support getting married, no matter what the age of a person is. I must admit I'm a big supporter of love and deep relationships, and messing around with random girls isn't my thing, either, but you should not propose unless you can say yes to my previous sentence.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Yeah. You're roughly 6-10 years to young.

Trust me. I was in "love" when I was 19. That blew up in my face and it will for you.

Just move in with her for a month or two. You'll see exactly what I mean.

killblade37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 killblade37
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

Hey guys, so I'm in a relationship with a girl that I've been together with about 2 and a half years now. More and more lately it's been going through my mind of proposing to her. We've got a great relationship and I want to make it official to spend my life with her.

The only problem is my friends aren't exactly the most supportive. They always tell me you're too young, don't go it. dont rush things etc etc. They always mock me and say that I'm just tying myself down. But see I don't care about that, I don't care about crap like 1 night stands and banging some chick I only just met. I like the emotion part of a relationship- the connection. In the end I don't care what they think.

I love her alot and somehow the thought of proposing feels so right. Back in Serbia its common to wait till you're around 30 to get married but thats wayy too long for me to wait. And I'm not sure how US marital customs go.

My friends say I disrespect the culture but I am in US now, so sometimes don't we have to forget about following culture so strictly and do what makes us happy? thats what i always thought anyways. My parents seem pretty supportive and they said that as long as I still continue pursuing my education they'd be supportive all the way. Which I am doing and will continue to do as I'm going for a degree in Law

Anyways a little advice? is 19 too young?

TheNewEraIcon

Hoestly yes. To be frank with you i believe you will just be contributing to the statistic of fail marriages right now. You are too young, i doubt you are financially capable of starting a family with her along with paying for school on top of that etc. If you really love her and she loves you at the VERY least id suggest finishing school first so you at least know that you both have some sort of education and then after that re evaluate your relationship with her.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Absolutely.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
[QUOTE="Clydefrog92"][QUOTE="Darthkaiser"]It's all rainbow and butterflies when you're 19 and you're inlove Seems like this is a decision you're making in a rush, you're still young, wait a couple of more years it's not like it's gonna kill you, what's the worst that could happen? it's not like she's going to leave you I mean she loves you... doesn't she? Of course this is coming from a 20 year old guy maybe I don't have enough experience but I think I have some common sense, it's either waiting a couple of years to be sure, or living your life regretting you didn't wait

I don't know what you are talking about. i don't like girls yet

Same applies in case of guys
jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jonathant5
Member since 2010 • 873 Posts
Your friends are right, getting married at 19 is far too early. I have friends who have been dating someone for longer than 2.5 years and they still are not married and dont even think about that. People change a lot from when they are 19 to when they are say...25. You should wait until you at least have a University degree and until you have a stable job so that you can financially support your family. And frankly, relationship started at a young age like 16 tend to have a deadline, I would not rush into it if I were you, give it time till you are more certain.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]Wait until you are able to financially support yourself.Fightingfan
My thoughts exactly, that's like people who want to have children at a young age, but can't even pay a freakin' car payment.

A large number of people I know from high school went and had kids before graduating and got engaged. They are the first to complain about having poor jobs, no education past high school, and still live with their parents or in a sh!tty dump of an apartment
sonic__323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40 sonic__323
Member since 2007 • 23684 Posts

Yes.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Yes, I think it is

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

Trust me. I was in "love" when I was 19. That blew up in my face and it will for you.

Wasdie
How did it blew up?
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
At most, live with her for a while before deciding. You might decide you hate each others guts after that.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Lonelynight
How did it blew up?

That's what I'm wondering. Tell us!
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
my brother got married when he was 21, but he was done school and had his career already going so he alot of cash, id say finish school first atleast
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Yes.
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

Hmm, well personally I do think that's too young. If you love her just as much in a few years, when you have your life together with a career and whatnot, then go for it. Until then, the years following 19 people still do go through a lot of change.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

Why not just wait until you two are older? You technically sound like highschool sweethearts who will wed one day so what's the rush? Marriage involves financial support and responsibilty to raise a family. As long as you're really close to each other and don't see that connection fade anytime soon then just wait.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
That depends on your culture, foo. The prophet Mohammed married a 9 year old, fact.
Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

The prophet Mohammed married a 9 year old, fact.Meinhard1