Instagram Engages in Fat Shaming

• 91 results
#1 Edited by Emil_Fontz (208 posts) -

Instagram user Samm Newmann posted a selfie to her account, only to have it subsequently suspended. The reason: She's obese. As Instagram does not have its own moderators, it relies on users to flag posts which violate its terms of use, according to which obscene and visually offensive content is prohibited. Because of this, though there exists a plethora of such selfies posted by slimmer women on Instagram, they're rarely flagged, because users like the bodies of such women. What are your thoughts on this?

#2 Posted by jasean79 (2364 posts) -

That girl should be ashamed of herself, first of all. I can't find any reason why an obese girl would need to post photos of herself in underwear on instagram. It's embarrassing and repulsive. She talks about "facing bullying", but posting semi-nude pictures isn't necessarily tackling the issue. It seems like she knew this would cause controversy and ultimately lead to a ban, so she did it intentionally with that in mind. So, she actually achieved what she set out to do then.

#3 Posted by ad1x2 (5528 posts) -

Reporting her picture may not have been the right thing when similar pictures of slimmer women go unreported. However, it is slightly disturbing in my opinion that the fat pride movement is encouraging some people who are overweight not to even attempt to exercise or eat better. Before somebody says it isn't my body, it becomes my business when their inability to exercise self-control causes health insurance costs to go up.

#4 Posted by RadecSupreme (4646 posts) -

Title is misleading, and while I am against verbal of abuse of others, being overweight is a health issue and should not be encouraged.

#5 Posted by Emil_Fontz (208 posts) -

Title is misleading, and while I am against verbal of abuse of others, being overweight is a health issue and should not be encouraged.

The title is not misleading; it's provocative.

#6 Edited by Emil_Fontz (208 posts) -

My thoughts on this story are in line with this guy's.

#7 Posted by jasean79 (2364 posts) -

Oh I get it. You post a video on youtube regarding your opinion on the matter and THEN make a GS thread about it. Shameless self promotion at its finest!

#8 Posted by Emil_Fontz (208 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@emil_fontz said:

Oh I get it. You post a video on youtube regarding your opinion on the matter and THEN make a GS thread about it. Shameless self promotion at its finest!

What? How is this self-promotion if I'm not the person in the video? Also, this thread is, in and of itself, a productive discussion.

#9 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29114 posts) -

So how'd that rage quit work out for you BRHD?

#10 Posted by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

Emil isn't blu ray though

#11 Posted by jasean79 (2364 posts) -

Emil isn't blu ray though

How do we know this?

#12 Posted by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

He actually admitted that he was blu ray in a moment of absentmindedness.

#13 Posted by jasean79 (2364 posts) -

@dave123321:

So he admitted that he was BRHD, but he's not BRHD. I'm confused.

#14 Posted by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

You should see someone about this. Obviously you are putting out bad vibes and are not ware of what you are doing. Do you have any gaps in memory when you look back on what you did over the day?

Take video of your interactions with people. You may be making odd faces and are unaware of it. Or maybe involuntarily screaming things without being aware of it.

Emil_fontz said:

I'm not putting out any bad vibes. People are prejudiced. Plain and simple. There are stereotypes out there about people like me and I can't help that people heed them when they see me. You've all seen me talk in videos at this point, so you know that I don't carry myself negatively. There's nothing I can do about it.

#15 Edited by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

You all can thank me for getting blu to open up

#16 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26069 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

And yet now he denies it. The man is clearly not of sound mind and thus should not be allowed to post. Ban him.

#17 Edited by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

Yeah Emil seems less than present

#18 Edited by jasean79 (2364 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

And yet know he denies it. The man is clearly not of sound mind and thus should not be allowed to post. Ban him.

Just because he's having an identity crisis doesn't mean he should be banned. His threads at least are somewhat topical and open for discussion. The guy can be whoever he wants to be online, as long as he's following the rules of the board, right?

#19 Posted by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

I worry that Emil doesn't know he's the guy in the videos. And do we really want that.

#20 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26069 posts) -

I worry that Emil doesn't know he's the guy in the videos. And do we really want that.

He should set up a camera and record himself watching one of these videos with a mirror next to him so we can see the expression of his face as his whole world crumbles.

#21 Posted by Emil_Fontz (208 posts) -

You guys are pathetic. All you do is obsess over me, BluRayHiDef (duh! It's me). It's as if I've become a meme of some sort. Just shut up about me already and discuss the topic at hand.

#22 Edited by jsolidus (150 posts) -

Why? Im mean really, why? Im a female but I never understood why some girls think they can do things like this and think the world will give them a high five for embarrassing themselves in public. Its the same when a female thinks she can walk around with no shirt and bra on and expect men not to stare at them and respect them.. Sure you can take pictures of yourself and use them for your own personal use but once you share them with the world dont cry if you get negative backlash. Instagram was trying to save her from the trolling and bulling that was coming her way. People aren't even nice in real life, but on the internet they are down right evil since they are behind a screen.

Also, there is nothing to be proud about being obese, its like saying I love having diabetes, a stroke and and heart attack. not saying she needs to be a stick figure but im not going to give her a thumbs up for being unhealthy.

#23 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26069 posts) -

You guys are pathetic. All you do is obsess over me

#24 Posted by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

I can't see the video but people should be kind is my thought.

Unhealtyness should be worked on to address it since it's a issue.

People don't have to be fucking assholes about it though.

#25 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26069 posts) -

I can't see the video but people should be kind is my thought.

Unhealtyness should be worked on to address it since it's a issue.

People don't have to be fucking assholes about it though.

#26 Posted by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

Unhealthiness

#27 Posted by jasean79 (2364 posts) -

As I said above, what good can possibly come from posting a semi-nude selfie on a social media website for all to view and comment on? Even if she were thin, there's still no need for this behavior.

#28 Edited by Korvus (3356 posts) -

You do realise that her account got reinstated and Instagram apologised to her for wrongly blocking her content, right?

Also, I like your idea. We'll make you into a meme. Thanks for suggesting it ;)

#29 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29114 posts) -

You guys are pathetic. All you do is obsess over me, BluRayHiDef (duh! It's me). It's as if I've become a meme of some sort. Just shut up about me already and discuss the topic at hand.

Well you made a lot of shit topics then threw a tantrum and quit when people called you out on it, but apparently were too pathetic to hold to quitting.

#30 Posted by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

Emil, respond to my post

#31 Edited by Korvus (3356 posts) -

Well you made a lot of shit topics then threw a tantrum and quit when people called you out on it, but apparently were too pathetic to hold to quitting.

He had one chance to leave with some dignity left, but he Blu it... (I'm so funny! >_>)

#32 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26069 posts) -

@korvus said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

He had one chance to leave with some dignity left, but he Blu it... (I'm so funny! >_>)

#33 Posted by Korvus (3356 posts) -
#34 Posted by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

Being barkleyed means you've made it

#35 Edited by thegerg (14914 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas: Come on, he's entertaining. I'd like to think that he's harmless, but after Rape land...

#36 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26069 posts) -
#37 Edited by Korvus (3356 posts) -
#38 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26069 posts) -
#39 Edited by Korvus (3356 posts) -
#40 Posted by foxhound_fox (87839 posts) -

People can be dicks when hiding behind an anonymous account.

#41 Posted by deeliman (2402 posts) -

Fat shaming is bad, but let's not pretend that being fat is in any way healthy. People will judge you if you are fat, the only way to stop that is to lose weight and try to lead a more healthy lifestyle.

#42 Edited by PSP107 (11878 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

That girl should be ashamed of herself, first of all. I can't find any reason why an obese girl would need to post photos of herself in underwear on instagram.

@ad1x2 said:

However, it is slightly disturbing in my opinion that the fat pride movement is encouraging some people who are overweight not to even attempt to exercise or eat better.

#43 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6764 posts) -

Good. That should encourage them to get off their asses and exercise. It's not healthy to be overweight, there should be no pride in it.

Overweight being the keyword. You don't need to be slim as a twig but dammit, keep your body in check.

#44 Posted by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

Be kind. Encourage health. Treat people like a human being.

My motto

#45 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26069 posts) -

My motto

#46 Posted by Emil_Fontz (208 posts) -

My motto

I think that your suggestion should be broader. You should have typed 'Treat people like sapient beings,' as sapience should be the determiner in regard to whether a person should be treated with respect or not, and not species. For all we know, there could be sapient alien races out there.

#47 Edited by dave123321 (33828 posts) -

I wish wish wish gs let tablet users post fucking pictures

#48 Posted by whipassmt (13998 posts) -

"Instagram does not have its own moderators, it relies on users to flag posts which violate its terms of use, according to which obscene and visually offensive content is prohibited" - seems like a policy that could easily be abused. "Obscene and visually offensive content" is kind of vague and users would no doubt interpret that in a variety of ways.

I don't think users should flag the photo just because she is heavy.

#49 Posted by Master_Live (14244 posts) -

Would not hit.

#50 Posted by Master_Live (14244 posts) -

Now, as I have said before: if she wanna be heavy good for her but if she is going to put herself out there inthat kind of platform she shouldn't be naive about what some people might say. The internet can be vicious.