Instagram Engages in Fat Shaming

• 91 results
#51 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17264 posts) -

Bah she is hideous. Dumb move on her part though. Have no idea what kind of reaction she actually expected with the way the internet is...

That said, I really don't understand why people think being an asshole to someone is going to magically get them to go get in shape. Weight loss is one of the most difficult transformations one can make of themselves and no amount of unkind words is going to make that any easier for them. On the contrary, I think such hate is more likely to make them find solace in food than anything...

#52 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

Natural selection will take care of this no biggie

#53 Posted by lonewolf604 (8518 posts) -

Title is misleading, and while I am against verbal of abuse of others, being overweight is a health issue and should not be encouraged.

Being healthy in general should be encouraged....It is so unfair that skinny people get away with being unhealthy just because of their appearance. Fat people are singled out when it comes to health.

#54 Edited by toast_burner (21498 posts) -

Are people so out of touch of reality that they think insulting someone would motivate them to get healthier?

#55 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@RadecSupreme said:

Title is misleading, and while I am against verbal of abuse of others, being overweight is a health issue and should not be encouraged.

Being healthy in general should be encouraged....It is so unfair that skinny people get away with being unhealthy just because of their appearance. Fat people are singled out when it comes to health.

I agree with that. Just because somebody is skinny, doesn't mean they are healthy. I know a lot of unhealthy skinny people and a few heavy people that eat healthy all the time, but have other issues that prevent weight loss.

#56 Posted by Aljosa23 (24841 posts) -

No offence to this girl but what did she expect was going to happen? Instagram is full of narcissists and attention cravers and I'm all for body positivity but come on, that picture isn't even artistic or done in a nice way.

#57 Posted by Assassin_87 (2313 posts) -

The world is a harsh place, and the internet makes it even easier to be emotionally detached from any given situation. If she expected a better result out of this then she didn't think it through enough.

Post a picture of yourself in what amounts to a public photo gallery, and you need to be prepared to face any and all consequences. Should everyone be treated kindly in a perfect world? Yes. But it will never be that way as long as people are free to think and say what they want.

#58 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

Well if you ask me I think any picture like that regardless of how much you weigh shouldn't really be uploaded.

#59 Posted by Jacanuk (4330 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

That girl should be ashamed of herself, first of all. I can't find any reason why an obese girl would need to post photos of herself in underwear on instagram. It's embarrassing and repulsive. She talks about "facing bullying", but posting semi-nude pictures isn't necessarily tackling the issue. It seems like she knew this would cause controversy and ultimately lead to a ban, so she did it intentionally with that in mind. So, she actually achieved what she set out to do then.

What the frag? i hope you are being sarcastic otherwise you should just shut of your computer and go back under the rock you live under. And no its neither embarrassing or repulsive , its a teenage girl having the courage to not be closed in by people like you and their narrow minded views on how a body should be.

#60 Posted by helwa1988 (2094 posts) -

Women just can't win in this world. Last week people were moaning and bitching about that woman Bethany Franklin posting a picture of her slim figure wearing her daughters pajamas and skinny shaming her. Now this week this woman gets her photo reported because she's fat.

We never hear about people slamming a man for being too skinny or too fat so why shame women? I'm far from being a feminazi, but let's get real for a minute here. Yes we know being obese unhealthy. People should try and lose weight, but if this was a man posting his fat picture on Instagram( which many fat guys have) no one blinks an eye. But since it is a woman people are all of a sudden disgusted.

#61 Posted by Emil_Fontz (222 posts) -

Women just can't win in this world. Last week people were moaning and bitching about that woman Bethany Franklin posting a picture of her slim figure wearing her daughters pajamas and skinny shaming her. Now this week this woman gets her photo reported because she's fat.

We never hear about people slamming a man for being too skinny or too fat so why shame women? I'm far from being a feminazi, but let's get real for a minute here. Yes we know being obese unhealthy. People should try and lose weight, but if this was a man posting his fat picture on Instagram( which many fat guys have) no one blinks an eye. But since it is a woman people are all of a sudden disgusted.

People make fun of skinny guys all the time. You should visit the Misc.

#62 Posted by helwa1988 (2094 posts) -

@emil_fontz:

But men don't go through eating disorders and depression because they were called skinny. And skinny men generally aren't called skinny to offensive. It is usually in a joking way. Women are called fat or anorexic to be mean and hurtful.

#63 Edited by thegerg (15032 posts) -

@helwa1988: Men suffer eating disorders for numerous reasons. Why can't being body-shamed be one of those reasons?

#64 Edited by lostrib (35764 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@SaintLeonidas: Come on, he's entertaining. I'd like to think that he's harmless, but after Rape land...

...and the time he admitted to animal abuse, and the time he agreed with the UCSB murderer, and I believe he also talked about just all around acting like a crazy person

#65 Edited by lostrib (35764 posts) -

@helwa1988 said:

@emil_fontz:

But men don't go through eating disorders and depression because they were called skinny. And skinny men generally aren't called skinny to offensive. It is usually in a joking way. Women are called fat or anorexic to be mean and hurtful.

men are insulted for the physique to be mean and hurtful as well.

Men have self-image's too, including issues of depression

"The TODAY/AOL Body Image survey released this week found that men worry about their appearance more than they worry about their health, their family, their relationships or professional success. Fifty-three percent of men say they feel unsure about their appearance at least once a week"

Stacey Tantleff Dunn, an associate professor of clinical psychology at the University of Central Florida, published a study on this back in 2004. She found that when men were shown pictures of the idealized male figure — lean and young with lots of muscles— the guys became angrier and more depressed.

“I think for a very long time, we really believed that men were more satisfied with their bodies,” Dunn says. “But we weren’t measuring things accurately.” Researchers tended to use the same self-reported surveys for men that they did for women, which were heavily focused on weight loss. “It wasn’t until we started to look at things like muscularity, chest and legs, and other parts, is when we started to see that men, too, had concerns.

http://www.today.com/health/six-pack-stress-men-worry-more-about-their-appearance-their-2D12117283

#66 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

Good, no one wants to see that nasty shit.

Take care of yourself. Only 10% of obsese people are like that because of an uncontrollable brain issue, the rest are just lazy slobs.

#67 Edited by plageus900 (1042 posts) -

@lonewolf604 said:

@RadecSupreme said:

#dealwithit

#68 Edited by 10854 (109 posts) -
#69 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20844 posts) -

@lonewolf604 said:

@RadecSupreme said:

#dealwithit

Drinking helps both parties involved.

#70 Posted by jasean79 (2371 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@jasean79 said:

That girl should be ashamed of herself, first of all. I can't find any reason why an obese girl would need to post photos of herself in underwear on instagram. It's embarrassing and repulsive. She talks about "facing bullying", but posting semi-nude pictures isn't necessarily tackling the issue. It seems like she knew this would cause controversy and ultimately lead to a ban, so she did it intentionally with that in mind. So, she actually achieved what she set out to do then.

What the frag? i hope you are being sarcastic otherwise you should just shut of your computer and go back under the rock you live under. And no its neither embarrassing or repulsive , its a teenage girl having the courage to not be closed in by people like you and their narrow minded views on how a body should be.

Narrow minded? Living under a rock? BWAHAHAHAHA!! Nice one, bro!

You mean to tell me that your first impression upon seeing her blob-like figure is that she's beautiful and her intent is to express her courageous self on the internet for all to see? Puh-leaze. The expression on her face pretty much sums up that she's uncomfortable.

This has nothing to do with courage. It has everything to do with the fact that girl obviously has some self-confidence issues and taking semi nude pictures is not the way to go about tackling the problem. Why couldn't she do that with her clothes on? Perhaps do her hair nice and wear something flattering. That would warrant a helluva lot more respect from people than bra and panties. Or how about a caption to go with that shot - maybe something like, "This is me before going on a diet and exercise program and I will post 'after' pictures later". Even that would be more acceptable. Just posing like that IS repulsive and embarrassing and yes, she SHOULD be ashamed of herself.

#71 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16711 posts) -

This seems like something she did solely to stir up some conflict. At least to me. At the same time though what a surprise, people being assholes online.

#72 Edited by KHAndAnime (13620 posts) -

I don't really care. I'm not disgusted by overweight women but I remember a point where I was and I know some people who genuinely are. If people consider a publicly posted image to be genuinely gross, they're free to flag it.

By the way, I think there's a difference in "fat shaming" and not encouraging unhealthy behavior. I see no evidence of anyone actually being shamed here. Someone posted an image most people genuinely don't want to see, and those people have every right to flag it. Nobody publicly embarrassed her, harassed her, etc. - she only publicly embarrassed herself...

It would be one thing if she wasn't posing half-naked for all to see, but she is...and people genuinely find it gross.

@shadowchronicle said:

Well if you ask me I think any picture like that regardless of how much you weigh shouldn't really be uploaded.

Precisely - at least not uploaded to the public...and this applies to everyone, not just fat people. But alas...women need their ego stroked for if nobody fawned over them and gave them the attention they crave - they would wither and die. Of course it's a lot easier to upload half-naked selfies than actually do something constructive or worthwhile...

And what's with all this "there are lots of assholes online" talk? Do all you people hail from some small naive town in Europe? People are equally dicks in real life too. If she put this picture up on a bulletin board in a public venue - I doubt it would remain up for long...

#73 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9648 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

truth

#74 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9648 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@emil_fontz said:

My thoughts on this story are in line with this guy's.

Oh I get it. You post a video on youtube regarding your opinion on the matter and THEN make a GS thread about it. Shameless self promotion at its finest!

What? How is this self-promotion if I'm not the person in the video? Also, this thread is, in and of itself, a productive discussion.

its obvious you are working for Blu. He was told not to promote his videos here, so i guess he told you to make threads here and link his videos to it.

#75 Edited by lostrib (35764 posts) -

@emil_fontz said:

@jasean79 said:

@emil_fontz said:

Oh I get it. You post a video on youtube regarding your opinion on the matter and THEN make a GS thread about it. Shameless self promotion at its finest!

What? How is this self-promotion if I'm not the person in the video? Also, this thread is, in and of itself, a productive discussion.

its obvious you are working for Blu. He was told not to promote his videos here, so i guess he told you to make threads here and link his videos to it.

The funny thing is that he admitted to being BRHD right after that

#76 Posted by jasean79 (2371 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

@emil_fontz said:

@jasean79 said:

@emil_fontz said:

The funny thing is that he admitted to being BRHD right after that

The best part is people knew it was BRHD even before he started posting these videos.

#77 Posted by Netret0120 (2083 posts) -

I would flag her too. Being overweight isn't healthy or natural.

Society should not accept fat as being good.

#78 Posted by Netret0120 (2083 posts) -

#79 Posted by bwompin (10 posts) -

"Instagram does not have its own moderators, it relies on users to flag posts which violate its terms of use, according to which obscene and visually offensive content is prohibited" - seems like a policy that could easily be abused. "Obscene and visually offensive content" is kind of vague and users would no doubt interpret that in a variety of ways.

I don't think users should flag the photo just because she is heavy.

I don't think people should kill other people in war, or that some people should eat from the little pick-n-mix boxes at Tesco, but this isn't about what we think.

#80 Posted by sSubZerOo (43153 posts) -

I would flag the radical majority of selfies to begin with, narcissism isn't healthy or natural.

#81 Posted by evildead6789 (7633 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

the only thing embarrassing and repulsive is your entity.

#82 Posted by Treflis (11519 posts) -

Technically isn't it the users of instagram that does engages in the Fat shaming and not Instagram itself since there aren't any moderators who could flag her on the behalf of the Instagram Therms of Service?

#83 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58096 posts) -

Well that's not nice, is it?

#84 Posted by Netret0120 (2083 posts) -

@sSubZerOo:

Agreed but still think it's better than being obese and having those pictures online. I see no need for someone to have 500-1000 pictures of themselves

#85 Edited by spaceninja818 (422 posts) -

Cut her hair and put glasses on her and she'll look like Gabe Newell. I don't think anyone wants to see him shirtless. Same situation with her, pretty much. And instead of working on her weight issues, she's proud of it.

Who exactly is she trying to impress with that body?

#86 Edited by BabyPulpFiction (54 posts) -

She has her cake and eats it too. Negative backlash is expected.

#87 Edited by themajormayor (25743 posts) -

#88 Edited by Scarebaby (1271 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

That girl should be ashamed of herself

It's her body and her Instagram and she should be able to post whatever pictures of herself she wants. I agree that being obese should not be encouraged (and where exactly is it being encouraged? who does actually WISH to be fat?) but if she is still proud of her body, then more power to her. Maybe she's been a lot heavier and just recently lost a few pounds and is proud of her accomplishments?

I gained around 70 pounds a couple of years ago due to taking medication that my body didn't react well to, but if I hadn't taken it I might not have survived, and guess what, I'd rather be overweight than dead. I'm currently busting my ass trying to get back to my normal weight but in the meantime I refuse to be ashamed of how I look, because I am damn proud of myself for overcoming my illness.

If I had just posted a picture of my flabby stomach without that backstory, I'm guessing you'd be one of the first people to flag it, so I think YOU should be ashamed of yourself.

#89 Posted by jasean79 (2371 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

It's her body and her Instagram and she should be able to post whatever pictures of herself she wants. I agree that being obese should not be encouraged (and where exactly is it being encouraged? who does actually WISH to be fat?) but if she is still proud of her body, then more power to her. Maybe she's been a lot heavier and just recently lost a few pounds and is proud of her accomplishments?

I gained around 70 pounds a couple of years ago due to taking medication that my body didn't react well to, but if I hadn't taken it I might not have survived, and guess what, I'd rather be overweight than dead. I'm currently busting my ass trying to get back to my normal weight but in the meantime I refuse to be ashamed of how I look, because I am damn proud of myself for overcoming my illness.

If I had just posted a picture of my flabby stomach without that backstory, I'm guessing you'd be one of the first people to flag it, so I think YOU should be ashamed of yourself.

First off, I don't use Instagram, so no, I wouldn't have flagged anything nor would I have even known of this story without this thread. And even if I did use the site, I'm not that shallow. I've seen worse, trust me.

But, regardless of her backstory, images like that have no place on a social media site, regardless of her body type. You say "she's proud of her body"? Imagine if her parents saw that same photo. You think they'd react in a way that says, "We're proud of our daughter for mustering up the courage to post her almost naked body on a social site for all to see and judge her"?? Probably not. If I were her dad, I'd be embarrassed for her and have it taken down immediately.

I don't think this story should've gone as viral as it did, as it's not really that bad (no different that her wearing a bikini). But, for people to sit here and say that she's doing it because she's proud of the way she looks (when her facial expressions clearly tell a different story) is just silly. The media used this story as another example in the ongoing "look how cruel people can be to those who are obese" agenda that exists today. We get it. People are picked on for all sorts of reasons, but why encourage the bullying by purposely putting yourself out there in pictures such as these? She could be just as proud of herself if she wore a nice outfit and did her hair and makeup appropriately. THAT would scream a lot more confidence than bra and panties.

#90 Edited by Scarebaby (1271 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@Scarebaby said:

@jasean79 said:

First off, I don't use Instagram, so no, I wouldn't have flagged anything nor would I have even known of this story without this thread. And even if I did use the site, I'm not that shallow. I've seen worse, trust me.

But, regardless of her backstory, images like that have no place on a social media site, regardless of her body type. You say "she's proud of her body"? Imagine if her parents saw that same photo. You think they'd react in a way that says, "We're proud of our daughter for mustering up the courage to post her almost naked body on a social site for all to see and judge her"?? Probably not. If I were her dad, I'd be embarrassed for her and have it taken down immediately.

I don't think this story should've gone as viral as it did, as it's not really that bad (no different that her wearing a bikini). But, for people to sit here and say that she's doing it because she's proud of the way she looks (when her facial expressions clearly tell a different story) is just silly. The media used this story as another example in the ongoing "look how cruel people can be to those who are obese" agenda that exists today. We get it. People are picked on for all sorts of reasons, but why encourage the bullying by purposely putting yourself out there in pictures such as these? She could be just as proud of herself if she wore a nice outfit and did her hair and makeup appropriately. THAT would scream a lot more confidence than bra and panties.

I don't think any parents wants to see their daughter half-naked whether she is fat or not. And I, personally, don't think anyone should be posting pictures of themselves posing in a bikini. But you saying that she is disgusting and should be ashamed of herself is completely out of order.

#91 Posted by jasean79 (2371 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@Scarebaby said:

@jasean79 said:

I don't think any parents wants to see their daughter half-naked whether she is fat or not. And I, personally, don't think anyone should be posting pictures of themselves posing in a bikini. But you saying that she is disgusting and should be ashamed of herself is completely out of order.

She should be ashamed of herself for posting that photo on a social media site; not ashamed of herself for being obese. Don't get the message wrong.

#92 Edited by Scarebaby (1271 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@Scarebaby said:

@jasean79 said:

@Scarebaby said:

@jasean79 said:

She should be ashamed of herself for posting that photo on a social media site; not ashamed of herself for being obese. Don't get the message wrong.

Okay, I think you should have been a bit more elaborate on what her being disgusting meant. Your message wasn't entirely clear on that point.