If you could make ONE law for your country what would it be?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

How would you deal with the back alley abortions and the 1.4 million orphaned children that adoption agencies cannot house or feed?

Pixel-Pirate

I'm not saying it would be as easy as instating a single law. The government would have to do some work to correct some of this. Also, the church should take the responsibility of helping take care of the children and women who have difficulty raising children. Just cause fixing the problem of abortion will be hard doesn't mean its not worth it. If it means anything, I have every intention of adopting some children myself.

Can the government force the church to do such things? If not, it can't really be taken into consideration.

I guess you could make a "Church of America" like the church of england
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
I'd make abortions illegal.mindstorm
if you want to go that rout just make every abortion come with a side order of tubal ligation
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

How would you deal with the back alley abortions and the 1.4 million orphaned children that adoption agencies cannot house or feed?

Pixel-Pirate

I'm not saying it would be as easy as instating a single law. The government would have to do some work to correct some of this. Also, the church should take the responsibility of helping take care of the children and women who have difficulty raising children. Just cause fixing the problem of abortion will be hard doesn't mean its not worth it. If it means anything, I have every intention of adopting some children myself.

Can the government force the church to do such things? If not, it can't really be taken into consideration.

Of course the government can't but I pray to God that those within the church who claim to be against abortion are actually willing to put forth action to do something about it.
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#154 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] I'm not saying it would be as easy as instating a single law. The government would have to do some work to correct some of this. Also, the church should take the responsibility of helping take care of the children and women who have difficulty raising children. Just cause fixing the problem of abortion will be hard doesn't mean its not worth it. If it means anything, I have every intention of adopting some children myself. markop2003

I guess you could make a "Church of America" like the church of england

The government can't endorse a specific religion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#155 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]i would take a note from hammurabi's book and not add any laws but make every law punishable by death. many laws would be quickly removed increasing freedoms and there would be no need for jails. surrealnumber5

That's a terrible idea. Running a red light = death penalty? Stealing groceries to feed the family = death? :|

dont make those a crime then and if you say " well one is theft that should be a crime" then the person should die. double standards would also be a crime if i were no already letting society decide what is and is not a crime

A capitalist society cannot function if theft is not a crime.

What you do not seem to understand is that some level of regulation is necessary, and regulation is impractical with an all-or-nothing response. There is no ability to moderate. It is absurd to create a public roads system without some level of regulation to ensure security-there are enough people already who drive stupidly that you must agree that with no level of regulation, the public roads system would quickly degenerate. So then, what is to be regulated? Surely at minimum there must be a divison of the road, one lane per direction, to protect drivers from collisions. So what, is driving in the wrong lane now deserving of the same punishment as murder? Surely you cannot think something so ridiculous as that.

The idea that there should not be different levels of punishment is just idiotic. I'm sorry, it just is. There are different undesirable events and desired regulations within society that simply cannot be rationally implemented with a "death penalty for all criminals" system.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
I would make it legal to physically hurt stupid people
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Pixel-Pirate

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] I'm not saying it would be as easy as instating a single law. The government would have to do some work to correct some of this. Also, the church should take the responsibility of helping take care of the children and women who have difficulty raising children. Just cause fixing the problem of abortion will be hard doesn't mean its not worth it. If it means anything, I have every intention of adopting some children myself. mindstorm

Of course the government can't but I pray to God that those within the church who claim to be against abortion are actually willing to put forth action to do something about it.

No offense but I lost faith in churches doing the right thing out of the good of their heart when certain churches started threatening to stop helping the homeless and others if their demands weren't met.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#158 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I would ban alcohol and cigarettes.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Pixel-Pirate

No offense but I lost faith in churches doing the right thing out of the good of their heart when certain churches started threatening to stop helping the homeless and others if their demands weren't met.

I have too... But that's one of the reasons I wish to become a pastor. If I don't like what I see the church doing, I should change it.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

That's a terrible idea. Running a red light = death penalty? Stealing groceries to feed the family = death? :|

chessmaster1989

dont make those a crime then and if you say " well one is theft that should be a crime" then the person should die. double standards would also be a crime if i were no already letting society decide what is and is not a crime

What you do not seem to understand is that some level of regulation is necessary, and regulation is impractical with an all-or-nothing response. There is no ability to moderate. It is absurd to create a public roads system without some level of regulation to ensure security-there are enough people already who drive stupidly that you must agree that with no level of regulation, the public roads system would quickly degenerate. So then, what is to be regulated? Surely at minimum there must be a divison of the road, one lane per direction, to protect drivers from collisions. So what, is driving in the wrong lane now deserving of the same punishment as murder? Surely you cannot think something so ridiculous as that.

The idea that there should not be different levels of punishment is just idiotic. I'm sorry, it just is. There are different undesirable events and desired regulations within society that simply cannot be rationally implemented with a "death penalty for all criminals" system.

then theft is a crime and those who steal should be put to death, dont tell me what you think i dont understand. theft would be gone as would corruption druggies could pop what ever they want in their body because no one is going to want to kill another for what they do the them selves. it would be a society where people would be free to do what ever they want unless it harms others. the break down of a free society would be met with death, making that person a future non-issue.
MellowMighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 MellowMighty
Member since 2008 • 691 Posts

Institute a tax that funnels directly to me, say taxing 1% of all profits for every american making over 250k?

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Pixel-Pirate

I would ban alcohol and cigarettes.ghoklebutter

Erm...you know that didn't work the first time, right?

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] dont make those a crime then and if you say " well one is theft that should be a crime" then the person should die. double standards would also be a crime if i were no already letting society decide what is and is not a crimesurrealnumber5

then theft is a crime and those who steal should be put to death, dont tell me what you think i dont understand. theft would be gone as would corruption druggies could pop what ever they want in their body because no one is going to want to kill another for what they do the them selves. it would be a society where people would be free to do what ever they want unless it harms others. the break down of a free society would be met with death, making that person a future non-issue.

That's just wrong. Capital punishment has not been shown as an effective deterent of murder-related crimes, so I can't see a valid argument for being a deterrent of theft. Not to mention I am morally opposed to the death penalty.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 surrealnumber5

chessmaster1989

That's just wrong. Capital punishment has not been shown as an effective deterent of murder-related crimes, so I can't see a valid argument for being a deterrent of theft. Not to mention I am morally opposed to the death penalty.

i dont see how your morality comes to play in my hypothetical
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

chessmaster1989

And even most supporters of the death penalty wouldn't advocate it for theft.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

All the following products (American Flags and automobiles) from the following countries (Japan, China, South Korea, and India) will have a 1000 percent tariff until further notice.

SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 SeanDog123
Member since 2005 • 1327 Posts
I would Legalize Marijuana. Probably not the first person to say that.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#169 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Ban tobacco. Going on the false assumption that that is logistically possible. :P

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] then theft is a crime and those who steal should be put to death, dont tell me what you think i dont understand. theft would be gone as would corruption druggies could pop what ever they want in their body because no one is going to want to kill another for what they do the them selves. it would be a society where people would be free to do what ever they want unless it harms others. the break down of a free society would be met with death, making that person a future non-issue. surrealnumber5

It does not necessarily, though you have neglected to address the rest of my post, which is relevant. Is it because you recognize your bolded statement is wrong?

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
No clothes allowed. :D 8D
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts

[QUOTE="pis3rch"][QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

For some reason I don't think buying them from a drugged out dealer who likely doesn't know anything about mushrooms is any safer than picking them yourself.

Pixel-Pirate

You obviously have a certain opinion of drug culture that is probably not going to change, but I will say that no matter how "drugged out" your dealer is, he isn't going to grow poisonous mushrooms from the spores of a hallucinogenic species.

I wasn't under the impression all dealers grew such things themselves. If they did, organized crime rings would not be making money from them.

I personally find it stupid to do any potentially deadly substance to try and get high. From draino to Mushrooms to deadly nightshade (that one still grabs me.)

Or you can just grow them yourself which is safe and easy...
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Pixel-Pirate

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

[QUOTE="pis3rch"] You obviously have a certain opinion of drug culture that is probably not going to change, but I will say that no matter how "drugged out" your dealer is, he isn't going to grow poisonous mushrooms from the spores of a hallucinogenic species. Stanley09

I wasn't under the impression all dealers grew such things themselves. If they did, organized crime rings would not be making money from them.

I personally find it stupid to do any potentially deadly substance to try and get high. From draino to Mushrooms to deadly nightshade (that one still grabs me.)

Assuming you have such knowledge and never need to call the police or fire department or paramedics for anything.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Stanley09

[QUOTE="Stanley09"][QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

Pixel-Pirate

Assuming you have such knowledge and never need to call the police or fire department or paramedics for anything.

All the knowledge can be easily found online...and why on earth would you need to call them?
Super_Hadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Super_Hadouken
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts

If there is something the American people don't like about a law or anything, everyone can cast a vote if it would stay or not.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts
Expand the Arizona Immigration bill to the entire country.Stevo_the_gamer
I agree with this.
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Pixel-Pirate

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

[QUOTE="Stanley09"] Or you can just grow them yourself which is safe and easy...Stanley09

All the knowledge can be easily found online...and why on earth would you need to call them?

....Robbery, domestic disturbance, fire, heart attack, injury, and countless other reasons?

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Stanley09

Pixel-Pirate

....Robbery, domestic disturbance, fire, heart attack, injury, and countless other reasons?

Shrooms are actually safe compared to alcohol..youre not going to have a heart attack or injuries...and these little mushrooms arent exactly a gold mine either so Im not sure who would really try to steal them
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 SeanDog123
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Expand the Arizona Immigration bill to the entire country.Snipes_2
I agree with this.

Your joking...
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Expand the Arizona Immigration bill to the entire country.SeanDog123
I agree with this.

Your joking...

No, Just like you want to legalize Marijuana.
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Stanley09
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="SeanDog123"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] I agree with this.

Your joking...

Id be in favor of weed and this immigration bill!
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Pixel-Pirate

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

[QUOTE="Stanley09"] All the knowledge can be easily found online...and why on earth would you need to call them?Stanley09

Shrooms are actually safe compared to alcohol..youre not going to have a heart attack or injuries...and these little mushrooms arent exactly a gold mine either so Im not sure who would really try to steal them

I'm not saying someone would want to steal them. Are they legal, however?

Also alcohol is quite safe in small doses.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 surrealnumber5

chessmaster1989

It does not necessarily, though you have neglected to address the rest of my post, which is relevant. Is it because you recognize your bolded statement is wrong?

if the penalty is guaranteed death i am sure fewer people would be willing to commit acts against society, and if society does not deem them infractions then they dont need to be penalized
Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Stanley09

Pixel-Pirate

I'm not saying someone would want to steal them. Are they legal, however?

Also alcohol is quite safe in small doses.

spores are legal, but the mushrooms arent. go figure
SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

All religious leaders are banned from entering politics.

Seperation of church and state needs to be expanded.

R0CKSTAR184

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 R0CKSTAR184
Member since 2010 • 156 Posts
Everybody must learn the English language.
MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Make weed legal. lol

SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 SeanDog123
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="SeanDog123"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] I agree with this.

Your joking...

Yeah, well there are endless reasons why weed should be legal, the immigration bill is really just xenophobia.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#190 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

dont be a jerk

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="SeanDog123"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="SeanDog123"] Your joking...

Yeah, well there are endless reasons why weed should be legal, the immigration bill is really just xenophobia.

Not the way I see it.
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 SeanDog123
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="SeanDog123"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] No, Just like you want to legalize Marijuana.

Not the way I see it.

Really... so you believe that the police should go out of their way to search for illegal immigrants? They got better more important things to do.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] i dont see how your morality comes to play in my hypothetical surrealnumber5

if the penalty is guaranteed death i am sure fewer people would be willing to commit acts against society, and if society does not deem them infractions then they dont need to be penalized

But even where the death penalty is used, the death penalty has not been shown to deter capital offences more than other harsh punishment forms (such as life imprisonment without parol). This you still have not addressed.

Anyway, I doubt I'm going to say anything that's going to influence your support of your hypothetical system. I think it's absurd and I can say for sure I'm grateful our society has not been so foolish and ignorant as to it. And I would not hesitate to leave a society that implemented it. A society is based on two ideas: freedom and security. Your society far too greatly sacrifices the latter in favor of the former, in a completely undesirable manner. You too should be grateful it is not implemented.

So, go on believing what you will, in my humble opinion your system (as well as unfettered capitalism) are both as absurd and unrealistic as Marx's communism.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="SeanDog123"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="SeanDog123"] Yeah, well there are endless reasons why weed should be legal, the immigration bill is really just xenophobia.

Not the way I see it.

Really... so you believe that the police should go out of their way to search for illegal immigrants? They got better more important things to do.

Illegal Immigrants cause crime as well. They shouldn't go out of their way, they should most definitely make an effort to find them though.
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 SeanDog123
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="SeanDog123"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Not the way I see it.

Illegal Immigrants cause crime as well. They shouldn't go out of their way, they should most definitely make an effort to find them though.

How could that possibly help anything? Illegal immigrants are going to keep coming no matter what.
smc91352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 smc91352
Member since 2009 • 7786 Posts
no starving. anywhere. don't care how much money it takes. you starve, you go to jail; simple as that.[spoiler] obviously the last part there was a joke about criminalizing people starving. :P hope I didn't offend EDIT: added a ":P" to actually make it seem like a joke [/spoiler] but yeah, we shouldn't let people starve.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="SeanDog123"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="SeanDog123"] Really... so you believe that the police should go out of their way to search for illegal immigrants? They got better more important things to do.

How could that possibly help anything? Illegal immigrants are going to keep coming no matter what.

Not if we enforce our Laws. If they can't get any benefits or anything they won't come.
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 SeanDog123
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="SeanDog123"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Illegal Immigrants cause crime as well. They shouldn't go out of their way, they should most definitely make an effort to find them though.

Not if we enforce our Laws. If they can't get any benefits or anything they won't come.

They don't get benefits most of the time, they provide cheap labor and live off the record. The only thing that will stop them from coming is if things get better in Mexico.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 surrealnumber5

chessmaster1989

But even where the death penalty is used, the death penalty has not been shown to deter capital offences more than other harsh punishment forms (such as life imprisonment without parol). This you still have not addressed.

Anyway, I doubt I'm going to say anything that's going to influence your support of your hypothetical system. I think it's absurd and I can say for sure I'm grateful our society has not been so foolish and ignorant as to it. And I would not hesitate to leave a society that implemented it. A society is based on two ideas: freedom and security. Your society far too greatly sacrifices the latter in favor of the former, in a completely undesirable manner. You too should be grateful it is not implemented.

So, go on believing what you will, in my humble opinion your system (as well as unfettered capitalism) are both as absurd and unrealistic as Marx's communism.

thats only in our system, if chances are you wont be put to death or you have 30 years to fight the findings before so that is not an efficient or effective way of penalizing people, it does not set a standard. hammurabi did not have the problems we have, you cant super impose a system and its workings on another that has none of the same. as i stated earlier this would lead to a much freer society then we have now, no small bs laws just those deemed crimes against society. all of the people in prison for minor drug use or possession would not be there. freedom to do as you want as long as it does not damage anothers freedoms. that sounds a hell of a lot freer then what you have portrayed
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] if the penalty is guaranteed death i am sure fewer people would be willing to commit acts against society, and if society does not deem them infractions then they dont need to be penalized surrealnumber5

thats only in our system, if chances are you wont be put to death or you have 30 years to fight the findings before so that is not an efficient or effective way of penalizing people, it does not set a standard. hammurabi did not have the problems we have, you cant super impose a system and its workings on another that has none of the same. as i stated earlier this would lead to a much freer society then we have now, no small bs laws just those deemed crimes against society. all of the people in prison for minor drug use or possession would not be there. freedom to do as you want as long as it does not damage anothers freedoms. that sounds a hell of a lot freer then what you have portrayed

and for the record i dont feel this should be implemented but i do think it would work if it was.i am not that draconian