If some people truly believe the universe is about 6000 years old...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#251 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

That is somewhat true. Yes. I mean these religious "scientists" are probably very intelligent people, but not in total contact with reality, and tend to believe in fairy tales and so on. But that's OK. End of the day, no one really knows the truth. Especially the ones who say they do know the truth! I mean the only know chance of actually knowing the truth is through science. After all religion is not evolving. So...yeah, its pretty pointless.

chandu83

What is truth?

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

[QUOTE="chandu83"]

That is somewhat true. Yes. I mean these religious "scientists" are probably very intelligent people, but not in total contact with reality, and tend to believe in fairy tales and so on. But that's OK. End of the day, no one really knows the truth. Especially the ones who say they do know the truth! I mean the only know chance of actually knowing the truth is through science. After all religion is not evolving. So...yeah, its pretty pointless.

Palantas

What is truth?

Back in high school I wrote a history paper on propaganda and I took a whole page to define what truth and lies are. He crossed out the whole page and wrote "FILLER".

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

I don't know, what differance does it make?

racer8dan

Here is a test for you......find the nearest tall building and go on the roof.

Now try walking off and see if a thing called gravity is real.

Come back and tell me the results.

There is more supported evidence for the age of the Earth being near 4.5 billion years than there is for the gravity that will most certainly pull you down.

If you don't trust that evidence then you should not care about walking off buildings.

But if you want some evidence concerning the age of the Earth then look here.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#254 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

[...] I mean these religious "scientists" are probably very intelligent people, but not in total contact with reality, and tend to believe in fairy tales and so on. [...] chandu83

Ask every one of those religious scientists, especially the one's in reputable fields (like Kenneth Miller) and I'm most certain none of them will tell you they believe in the myths in the holy texts, and see them as symbolical or metaphorical teachings used to emphasize a moral, and not recount history.

Religion is rooted in the process of science. A person sees the world in front of them and asks "why is this all here?" and some people think that an invisible sky deity made it all, and others, using very similar language and symbolism, say that its entirely possible it was some invisible deity, and its beauty is worth reverence alone, whether it was a deity who made it or not. While others just say its just the natural world coming about on its own through a series of really amazing processes. They all have one thing in common though.

Throughout all my studies in religion, I come across a common element: that the practice of religious rituals and the ascribing to religious beliefs all do one thing: indirectly revere life and the universe as a grand, amazing and beautiful thing that must be maintained. Granted, older societies and cultures take the literal route with their traditions... but even in early Egyptian and Mesopotamian religion, there is a mystical element that bases itself around the reverence of the natural world and life, whether the majority at the time realized this or not.

The religious folk see the natural world as a creation of God that is both beautiful and overwhelming that never ceases to amaze. Those of science see the natural world as a beautiful and overwhelming formation that never ceases to amaze. Two sides of the same coin, one just uses more personal and less objective language to describe it.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]Are there any reasonable arguements? Not that I'm aware of. Christians don't care about those things anyway. I don't see the point trying to make sense of these silly ideas found in the bible.mindstorm
Very bad general statement. If I didn't believe that Jesus rose from the dead from a literal and historical standpoint then I myself would not be a Christian.

I know quite a few christians that would disagree with you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#256 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

I don't know, what differance does it make?

Hakkai007

Here is a test for you......find the nearest tall building and go on the roof.

Now try walking off and see if a thing called gravity is real.

Come back and tell me the results.

There is more supported evidence for the age of the Earth being near 4.5 billion years than there is for the gravity that will most certainly pull you down.

If you don't trust that evidence then you should not care about walking off buildings.

But if you want some evidence concerning the age of the Earth then look here.

It's probable, not factual.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#257 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's probable, not factual.

racer8dan

Science uses different language than the colloquial vernacular. A "fact" is an observed phenomena (like an apple falling from a tree, or a fossil, or a rock formation) and a "hypothesis" is an educated guess as to what those facts observed could mean and a "theory" is a collection of tested hypotheses that have substantial evidence to suggest that they are indeed true.

You are using "factual" in the sense that it has to be "100% absolutely true" not "observable by anyone of capability and sane mind." There is a reason why the age of the Earth has been based off numerous scientific theories and literal mountains of evidence that can be seen by your or me to support its being true. It is the most likely explanation for the evidence that is staring us in the face.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]It's probable, not factual.

foxhound_fox

Science uses different language than the colloquial vernacular. A "fact" is an observed phenomena (like an apple falling from a tree, or a fossil, or a rock formation) and a "hypothesis" is an educated guess as to what those facts observed could mean and a "theory" is a collection of tested hypotheses that have substantial evidence to suggest that they are indeed true.

You are using "factual" in the sense that it has to be "100% absolutely true" not "observable by anyone of capability and sane mind." There is a reason why the age of the Earth has been based off numerous scientific theories and literal mountains of evidence that can be seen by your or me to support its being true. It is the most likely explanation for the evidence that is staring us in the face.

Yes, that's how I'm using the word "fact". The scientific community may use a different definition, but the chaps in this thread in whom I'm replying to are, using it to mean fact as in %100. And I don't think we should be using the word "fact" so loosely in regards to the universe, seeing as how it is so vast and it's origin so unknown.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]It's probable, not factual.

racer8dan

Yes, that's how I'm using the word "fact". The scientific community may use a different definition, but the chaps in this thread in whom I'm replying to are, using it to mean fact as in %100. And I don't think we should be using the word "fact" so loosely in regards to the universe, seeing as how it is so vast and it's origin so unknown.

The origin is pretty well known sir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBE

There is no possible way those results don't confirm the hypothesis.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

racer8dan

Well the same scientific principles that tell us the Earth is 4.5 billion years old are also responsible for every piece of technology in your house. You seem to be rather picky about what "science" you adhere to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Guybrush_3

Would that be %100 confirmation?

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]Yes, that's how I'm using the word "fact". The scientific community may use a different definition, but the chaps in this thread in whom I'm replying to are, using it to mean fact as in %100. And I don't think we should be using the word "fact" so loosely in regards to the universe, seeing as how it is so vast and it's origin so unknown.

racer8dan

as close as physically possible, the margin of error was essentially zero. It's one of the most successful experiments in the history of science. If you don't believe this result you literally have to reject pretty much every scientific experiment ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

Guybrush_3

as close as physically possible, the margin of error was essentially zero. It's one of the most successful experiments in the history of science. If you don't believe this result you literally have to reject pretty much every scientific experiment ever.

So in other words, it's just a probable theory.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 Hakkai007

Guybrush_3

There is a possibility of his computer exploding and killing him but he seems to still be using it.

Really it's pointless to argue with someone who tries to paint everything with the same brush as if all things carry the same validity.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Hakkai007

racer8dan

Did you know gravity is a theory too?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

Hakkai007

Did you know gravity is a theory too?

"Really it's pointless to argue with someone who tries to paint everything with the same brush as if all things carry the same validity."

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 Hakkai007

"Really it's pointless to argue with someone who tries to paint everything with the same brush as if all things carry the same validity."

racer8dan

Your right it would be but if you except gravity for being real which I think you do then you should except the other theories like Evolution and also the age of the Earth.

Those theories have more backed support than the theory of gravity.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 HoolaHoopMan

racer8dan

And yet again you fail to grasp what a Scientific Theory even is. A Theory in science is literally the pinnacle of Truth one can have when trying to explain natural phenomenon. Theories have been repeatidly tested and verified and contain hundreds if not thousands of facts that support them.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 Hakkai007

And yet again you fail to grasp what a Scientific Theory even is. A Theory in science is literally the pinnacle of Truth one can have when trying to explain natural phenomenon. Theories have been repeatidly tested and verified and contain hundreds if not thousands of facts that support them.

HoolaHoopMan

I hope he doesn't think a scientific law is above a scientific theory since they are two different things.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]Would that be %100 confirmation?

racer8dan

In other words reality is just a probable theory.

willful ignorance is disgusting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

HoolaHoopMan

Again, I'm not replying to the the scientific community and its definition of "fact", I'm replying to the GS community and it's use of the word. Also, Stop portraying yourselves to have all the answers to these questions as if your the ones who came up with them, the fact is, your just like me, you know only what you've been told by these "scientists", so please stop with the "holier than thou attitudes".

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 HoolaHoopMan
Again, I'm not replying to the the scientific community and its definition of "fact", I'm replying to the GS community and it's use of the word. Also, Stop portraying yourselves to have all the answers to these questions as if your the ones who came up with them, the fact is, your just like me, you know only what you've been told by these "scientists", so please stop with the "holier than thou attitudes".racer8dan
I haven't, "just been told" by them to believe in it. I've spent 7 years after high school in my post secondary education studying Evolution and the evidence supporting it. That's what going to school and opening up your text book does, it gives you substantial insight into the backings of said theories.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"] Again, I'm not replying to the the scientific community and its definition of "fact", I'm replying to the GS community and it's use of the word. Also, Stop portraying yourselves to have all the answers to these questions as if your the ones who came up with them, the fact is, your just like me, you know only what you've been told by these "scientists", so please stop with the "holier than thou attitudes".HoolaHoopMan
I haven't, "just been told" by them to believe in it. I've spent 7 years after high school in my post secondary education studying Evolution and the evidence supporting it. That's what going to school and opening up your text book does, it gives you substantial insight into the backings of said theories.

Yes, studying material derived from scientists findings, not findings of your own.

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#274 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

racer8dan

Again, I'm not replying to the the scientific community and its definition of "fact", I'm replying to the GS community and it's use of the word. Also, Stop portraying yourselves to have all the answers to these questions as if your the ones who came up with them, the fact is, your just like me, you know only what you've been told by these "scientists", so please stop with the "holier than thou attitudes".

When GS uses "theory", we are implying the the meaning with science. Theory, in science, as HoolaHoopMan wrote: "A Theory in science is literally the pinnacle of Truth one can have when trying to explain natural phenomenon. Theories have been repeatidly tested and verified and contain hundreds if not thousands of facts that support them." Everyone here who has been to a biology class in high school knows this. We mean this. I think you are getting the meaning of "theory" and "hypothesis" different. And they are VERY different.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 HoolaHoopMan

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="racer8dan"] Again, I'm not replying to the the scientific community and its definition of "fact", I'm replying to the GS community and it's use of the word. Also, Stop portraying yourselves to have all the answers to these questions as if your the ones who came up with them, the fact is, your just like me, you know only what you've been told by these "scientists", so please stop with the "holier than thou attitudes".racer8dan

Yes, studying material derived from scientists findings, not findings of your own.

Your text books are cited and have a bibliographies at the end of them. They also cite experiments directly in the text themselves. On top of that, it produces results. Have you duplicated dozens of chemistry and physics experiments in order to convince yourself that the internal combustion engine in your care makes it go? No, because it's retarded.