If some people truly believe the universe is about 6000 years old...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

How do they explain supernovas?? I mean we have seen a star going through that process... the light from that process takes millions/billions of years to reach us.... the universe is older than 6000 years.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
God turning his brights on?
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

dat ole debbel done put dat dere to trick you!

same as fossils!

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
The argument essentially goes that the universe was created in the same way man was. Basically, just as man was created already an adult, so was the universe. Personally I hold to the idea that the universe itself is old but humanity is young (e.i. old earth creationist).
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

God made them to trick you in order to test your faith.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mindstorm

toast_burner
I know very many Young Earth Creationists and none that I am aware of hold to that viewpoint.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

While I don't personally believe that the universe is that young.....

If one accepts that God made the universe then one would have to accept God's ability to also make in-transit light at the same time if He wanted to.

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

toast_burner

Yep. Good ol' God just trolling humanity.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

Yep. Good ol' God just trolling humanity.

iAtrocious

I know.

He put those dinosaur bones in the ground just to trick us.

Silly god.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-598fc45371265

The argument essentially goes that the universe was created in the same way man was. Basically, just as man was created already an adult, so was the universe. mindstorm

Yeah that's what I meant to say. ._.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

World of warcraft history goes back many years too...
The designers just wrote the history at some point.

This 'instance' could be created just like that.

Of course, pink elephants might be causing hurricanes, and the world could be a matrix on a handheld until the battery goes dead.

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts

dat ole debbel done put dat dere to trick you!

same as fossils!

Riverwolf007
lol ya i always wondered about fossils too!
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9868 Posts
I mean you could argue the universe was created a second ago along with all ur memories etc, so I'm sure u could argue it's 6k years old. Are there any reasonable arguements? Not that I'm aware of. Christians don't care about those things anyway. I don't see the point trying to make sense of these silly ideas found in the bible.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mindstorm
Are there any reasonable arguements? Not that I'm aware of. Christians don't care about those things anyway. I don't see the point trying to make sense of these silly ideas found in the bible.Sushiglutton
Very bad general statement. If I didn't believe that Jesus rose from the dead from a literal and historical standpoint then I myself would not be a Christian.
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

How do they explain supernovas?? I mean we have seen a star going through that process... the light from that process takes millions/billions of years to reach us.... the universe is older than 6000 years.

Infinite_Access

What do you mean "we". I've never seen this. I doubt you have either unless you have s uper telescope that can go back "millions/billions of years" that show me so.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hatiko

I mean you could argue the universe was created a second ago along with all ur memories etc, so I'm sure u could argue it's 6k years old. Are there any reasonable arguements? Not that I'm aware of. Christians don't care about those things anyway. I don't see the point trying to make sense of these silly ideas found in the bible.Sushiglutton

Another peson that has never read the Bible and calls it silly. :?

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

mindstorm
I know very many Young Earth Creationists and none that I am aware of hold to that viewpoint.

Really? I've actually heard that viewpoint from some of the creationists around here. I've also heard that from a few people who completely disagree with evolution.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hakkai007

Hatiko

What is ironic is that most people who are of a religion have not read the bible for their religion.

They just go to church to hear the good cliff notes.

There was actually a test on simple religious questions in the bible and Atheists were the ones who answered the most correct.

The poll was for around 32,000 people so it was a fairly large test group.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mindstorm
[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]

frostybanana

Really? I've actually heard that viewpoint from some of the creationists around here. I've also heard that from a few people who completely disagree with evolution.

Well, I suppose I have heard the argument from the occasion Christian, but they were always country hicks that also believe philosophy is of the devil. "I ain't come from no monkey and I show ain't believe in that there demon philosophy!"
whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts

The real question is do you believe in God and that God created the universe and the earth? If you answered No then of course your not going to believe that the earth is only 6000 years old and believe that the universe evolved from itself. An interesting scripture is Job 26:7 "He spreads out the northern skies over empty space;he suspends the earth over nothing."

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sushiglutton

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]I mean you could argue the universe was created a second ago along with all ur memories etc, so I'm sure u could argue it's 6k years old. Are there any reasonable arguements? Not that I'm aware of. Christians don't care about those things anyway. I don't see the point trying to make sense of these silly ideas found in the bible.Hatiko

I don't call the entire bible silly, but there are some very silly ideas if u interpret them literally at least. I don't see the point trying to find explinations to how Jesus could cure a blind, walk on water or that the earth is 6k years old. There are tons of interesting questions out there so why bother with things that someone obv made up thousands of years ago?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]I mean you could argue the universe was created a second ago along with all ur memories etc, so I'm sure u could argue it's 6k years old. Are there any reasonable arguements? Not that I'm aware of. Christians don't care about those things anyway. I don't see the point trying to make sense of these silly ideas found in the bible.Sushiglutton

I don't call the entire bible silly, but there are some very silly ideas if u interpret them literally at least. I don't see the point trying to find explinations to how Jesus could cure a blind, walk on water or that the earth is 6k years old. There are tons of interesting questions out there so why bother with things that someone obv made up thousands of years ago?

Where does the Bible say how old the earth is?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]I mean you could argue the universe was created a second ago along with all ur memories etc, so I'm sure u could argue it's 6k years old. Are there any reasonable arguements? Not that I'm aware of. Christians don't care about those things anyway. I don't see the point trying to make sense of these silly ideas found in the bible.Hatiko

I've read the bible (well most of it) and find alot of it to be silly (such as Jesus coming back from the dead)
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I imagine that they assume that the universe was created with physical characteristics resembling an aged universe. Either that or I suppose they assume that the universe developed at a quickened pace hastened by some supernatural force. If one is to assume an ompnipotent, omniscient being, then neither of these would be beyond the power said deity. I don't hold those views for the creation of the universe however.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 frostybanana
[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="mindstorm"] I know very many Young Earth Creationists and none that I am aware of hold to that viewpoint.

Well, I suppose I have heard the argument from the occasion Christian, but they were always country hicks that also believe philosophy is of the devil. "I ain't come from no monkey and I show ain't believe in that there demon philosophy!"

I wouldn't say they're hicks around here, exactly. But I will say that they're the type that are fairly misinformed and don't do well to research the thing they're against.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hakkai007

What do you mean "we". I've never seen this. I doubt you have either unless you have s uper telescope that can go back "millions/billions of years" that show me so.

Hatiko

Light travels at a certain speed.

Using this and other various things like luminosity and movement we can determine how far a star is away.

The closest galaxy to us is around 25,000 light years away from us. Meaning is takes light 25,000 years to travel from it to where we are.

That is more than 4x the age that some Creationist claim the Universe is.

Heck are own Galaxy "The Milky Way" is over 100,000 light years in diameter across.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

Hakkai007

What is ironic is that most people who are of a religion have not read the bible for their religion.

They just go to church to here the good cliff notes.

There was actually a test on simple religious questions in the bible and Atheists were the ones who answered the most correct.

The poll was for around 32,000 people so it was a fairly large test group.

While that is true alot of religious people read the bible when they were young (like a kid with their family) and didn't understand it as well as they could if they read it now. But the bible does have alot of good points even if your not religious, Ecclesiastes is a good example.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hakkai007

The real question is do you believe in God and that God created the universe and the earth? If you answered No then of course your not going to believe that the earth is only 6000 years old and believe that the universe evolved from itself. An interesting scripture is Job 26:7 "He spreads out the northern skies over empty space;he suspends the earth over nothing."

whitetiger3521

I think you need this.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 frostybanana
[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]I mean you could argue the universe was created a second ago along with all ur memories etc, so I'm sure u could argue it's 6k years old. Are there any reasonable arguements? Not that I'm aware of. Christians don't care about those things anyway. I don't see the point trying to make sense of these silly ideas found in the bible.Sushiglutton

They did not make up those things... A lot of the stuff from the bible actually happened and what's given in the bible is the explanation of natural occurrences that science was not there to explain. Such is the case with MOST civilizations back then. Why do you think the Greeks have a pantheon of gods that control things like the weather and the sun rising?
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hakkai007

While that is true alot of religious people read the bible when they were young (like a kid with their family) and didn't understand it as well as they could if they read it now. But the bible does have alot of good points even if your not religious, Ecclesiastes is a good example.

Hatiko

Yes the bible has some nice things to say but it also has some horrid things in it.

The bible is easily more violent than any video game or movie that I have seen.

And I have been to that site with that "4" that most people know about now.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

Hakkai007

Light travels at a certain speed.

Using this and other various things like luminosity and movement we can determine how far a star is away.

The closest galaxy to us is around 25,000 light years away from us. Meaning is takes light 25,000 years to travel from it to where we are.

That is more than 4x the age that some Creationist claim the Universe is.

Heck are own Galaxy "The Milky Way" is over 100,000 light years in diameter across.

One of the things that I always thought was interesting was that if another species existed on another planet and they put mirrors on there, we could technically see into the "past" of what they were doing on that mirror, granted the mirror would have to be big.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

Hakkai007

Yes the bible has some nice things to say but it also has some horrid things in it.

The site we do not speak of. Just murmuring the name leads one to be sensored.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sushiglutton

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Hatiko"]

Storm_Marine

It doesn't? Well it does say it was created in 6 days at least? My basic point was that it's pointless to try and rationalize random statements. Hatico was correct that I haven't read the bible and I'm not going to, so there are a lot of details I'm unaware of. I took the math/physics path instead :).
iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 iAtrocious

[QUOTE="frostybanana"][QUOTE="mindstorm"] I know very many Young Earth Creationists and none that I am aware of hold to that viewpoint.mindstorm

I don't think Jesus appreciates your prejudice towards country-people.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hakkai007

They did not make up those things... A lot of the stuff from the bible actually happened and what's given in the bible is the explanation of natural occurrences that science was not there to explain. Such is the case with MOST civilizations back then. Why do you think the Greeks have a pantheon of gods that control things like the weather and the sun rising? frostybanana

Don't you find it weird that there is not even one contemporary historian who wrote about Jesus?

Not even one.

This is a man who walked into Jerusalem on Passover (one of the most important days for them) and started a riot.

You might also have known that in the time the new testament describes there were hundreds to thousands of people claiming to be the prophet of god.

These people also claimed to cure the blind and do other various tricks called "miracles".

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hakkai007

Hatiko

But I did not speak the forbidden name.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Hatiko"]

Storm_Marine

It says that the earth was created in 6 days (people being made on the 6th day). So that means civilised people and the earth are the same age, civilisation dates back roughly 6000 years.

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iAtrocious

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

Hatiko

[spoiler] 4**** (the four letter word)? [/spoiler]

I never go there myself, but what's wrong with talking about it here?

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

Hakkai007

Well yes, the Bible chronicles wars and the Crucifiction of Jesus and other events that end in bloody terror, betrayaland pain. But it also has hope and stories of salvation and life. Moses getting everyone through the sea after God opened it, saving their lives is an example. AlthoughGod closed it back onto the Egyptians and killed them.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Hakkai007

It says that the earth was created in 6 days (people being made on the 6th day). So that means civilised people and the earth are the same age, civilisation dates back roughly 6000 years.

toast_burner

The way some Young Earth Creationists date the universe is by counting back the events that happened in the bible.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 frostybanana

[QUOTE="frostybanana"]They did not make up those things... A lot of the stuff from the bible actually happened and what's given in the bible is the explanation of natural occurrences that science was not there to explain. Such is the case with MOST civilizations back then. Why do you think the Greeks have a pantheon of gods that control things like the weather and the sun rising? Hakkai007

Don't you find it weird that there is not even one contemporary historian who wrote about Jesus?

Not even one.

This is a man who walked into Jerusalem on Passover (one of the most important days for them) and started a riot.

You might also have known that in the time the new testament describes there were hundreds to thousands of people claiming to be the prophet of god.

These people also claimed to cure the blind and do other various tricks called "miracles".

...That couldn't be any less true. There are many Roman historians who documented the existence of Jesus Christ. You know one of the arguments of Jesus' divinity was the claim that Vergil included a prophetic passage in the Aeneid that was alluding to Jesus Christ. I believe Augustus started taking the census in the year Jesus was born as well. So his existence is very well documented. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Hatiko

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

Hakkai007

The way some Young Earth Creationists date the universe is by counting back the events that happened in the bible.

But the Bible states that the earth was there before God created everything on earth "plants, animals, etc."

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts

[QUOTE="whitetiger3521"]

Hakkai007

I think you need this.

That does not prove that the prophets wrote that the earth was flat. It's even described as a circle, Go grab a piece of paper and draw a circle. Is it round? yeah it is.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hakkai007

Well yes, the Bible chronicles wars and the Crucifiction of Jesus and other events that end in bloody terror, betrayaland pain. But it also has hope and stories of salvation and life. Moses getting everyone through the sea after God opened it, saving their lives is an example. AlthoughGod closed it back onto the Egyptians and killed them.

Hatiko

How about god using genocide on a massive scale with the flood?

Or god asking Abraham to kill his own son as a test to see if he would do it.

Or what about the story of a man that offers his daughter to be raped by a group of men if they leave a customer alone.

There is incest, rape, genocide and much more in the bible.

I find it very funny when some parents are against video games because of violence when they have a bible sitting in their house that is many times more violent.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hakkai007

That does not prove that the prophets wrote that the earth was flat. It's even described as a circle, Go grab a piece of paper and draw a circle. Is it round? yeah it is.

whitetiger3521

A circle is flat and a sphere is not....

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hakkai007

But the Bible states that the earth was there before God created everything on earth "plants, animals, etc."

Hatiko

But he did that all in 6 days so the error would be small.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hatiko

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="whitetiger3521"]

whitetiger3521

I think you need this.

Well the earlyHebrews thought that the earth rested on "pillars" and that the earth was surroounded by water and then the abyss.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] I don't call the entire bible silly, but there are some very silly ideas if u interpret them literally at least. I don't see the point trying to find explinations to how Jesus could cure a blind, walk on water or that the earth is 6k years old. There are tons of interesting questions out there so why bother with things that someone obv made up thousands of years ago?toast_burner

Sigh....How do I explain this to you. Do you know the story of Adam and Eve?

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hakkai007

...That couldn't be any less true. There are many Roman historians who documented the existence of Jesus Christ. You know one of the arguments of Jesus' divinity was the claim that Vergil included a prophetic passage in the Aeneid that was alluding to Jesus Christ. I believe Augustus started taking the census in the year Jesus was born as well. So his existence is very well documented. I have no idea what you're talking about.frostybanana

Actually you are incorrect.

Please point me to a contemporary historian that wrote about jesus.

I am not talking about someone having a census with a random guy that had the name Jesus.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sushiglutton
Hakkai is not only the graphics king of SW, he is also philosophy king :). I'm impressed man!!!