I don't get this about religion

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#52 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

The way I look at things is I don't treat all teenagers with contempt over the select few who are douchebags that make it a point to disrespect anybody who is in a position of authority,

Why is it only teenagers that can disrespect authority? Isn't the whole point of living in a country where one has the freedom of speech and freedom of belief, that they can criticize whomever they feel like? In a position of authority or not? Being in a position of authority does not entitle someone to freedom from criticism.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

professing to a religion is different in i believing in god. its not about shallowness more than god wants you to commit to your beliefs. those hateful people that you meet may use religion in the wrong way, but the belief in god and following gods rules have nothing to do with other people.

people tend to take the worst examples and use it as the basis of judgement of a religion. like every priest is going to rape kids, every muslim is going to bomb buildings etc..... c'mon guys, look at the ideas of the religion. not every person follows their religious doctrines to perfection

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@ad1x2 said:

The way I look at things is I don't treat all teenagers with contempt over the select few who are douchebags that make it a point to disrespect anybody who is in a position of authority,

Why is it only teenagers that can disrespect authority? Isn't the whole point of living in a country where one has the freedom of speech and freedom of belief, that they can criticize whomever they feel like? In a position of authority or not? Being in a position of authority does not entitle someone to freedom from criticism.

Sounds like I touched a nerve.

You know as well as I do that some teens who disrespect authority will go above and beyond their First Amendment rights and take it to a point of harassment when trying to piss off their teachers. It is one thing to say among their friends the police suck, it's another to walk up to their teacher and start making verbal threats.

Also, just because you have the right to be a douchebag doesn't mean you are free from being criticized for being a douchebag. The First Amendment gives the Westboro Baptist Church the right to protest at military funerals and insult homosexuals, but their right to do so doesn't give them a free pass from criticism.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

What's religion going to do when we discover life on.another planet? Be it single cell bacteria or complex organisms.

Bacteria can go to heaven too.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 foxhound_fox

@ad1x2 said:

You know as well as I do that some teens who disrespect authority will go above and beyond their First Amendment rights and take it to a point of harassment when trying to piss off their teachers. It is one thing to say among their friends the police suck, it's another to walk up to their teacher and start making verbal threats.

Also, just because you have the right to be a douchebag doesn't mean you are free from being criticized for being a douchebag. The First Amendment gives the Westboro Baptist Church the right to protest at military funerals and insult homosexuals, but their right to do so doesn't give them a free pass from criticism.

No nerves touched here, I was just questioning your generalization of questioning authority as only being something "teenagers do". When in fact, questioning authority (not just teachers and the police) is a healthy thing for anyone to do, especially if that authority might be exceeding their capacity and oppressing those under them or abusing their station.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

What's religion going to do when we discover life on.another planet? Be it single cell bacteria or complex organisms.

They'll do what they'll always do, speak with alibi. They'll say things like "maybe god....this and that" or "the bible didn't say.....".

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@ad1x2 said:

No nerves touched here, I was just questioning your generalization of questioning authority as only being something "teenagers do". When in fact, questioning authority (not just teachers and the police) is a healthy thing for anyone to do, especially if that authority might be exceeding their capacity and oppressing those under them or abusing their station.

There is a difference between simply questioning authority because you think they are abusing their power and outright disrespecting authority figures because you want to be an asshole. People who are complaining about some of the things the government is doing is questioning authority and is understandable. On the other hand, we were all teens at one time and we know the people who screw with authority figures just because they can.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@themajormayor said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@themajormayor said:

Move away from Tennessee and America and you'll not need to make threads like this all the time.

I have. I lived in Canada for five years, it was even worse there what with all the Catholics.

Ok. I meant like move to Sweden. Or Japan. Although don't move to Sweden. Sweden sucks.

What's wrong with Sweden? I've never been there.

Also, your damned avatar is tripping me up.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By foxhound_fox

@ad1x2 said:

There is a difference between simply questioning authority because you think they are abusing their power and outright disrespecting authority figures because you want to be an asshole. People who are complaining about some of the things the government is doing is questioning authority and is understandable. On the other hand, we were all teens at one time and we know the people who screw with authority figures just because they can.

We are running dangerously close to a semantics discussion here, and I'd like to avoid that. I think there was some misunderstanding on my part with your original statement, because I assumed you were generalizing all questioning of authority as abuse sent their way. Thank you for clarifying. I agree with you now.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Chaos_HL21 said:

There is a difference between profess yourself as a Christian or any other religion that haves a belief in the afterlife and being one. Just professing it doesn't get you into heaven.

According to Christians, professing the belief is part of the belief. There's quite a few passages in The Bible covering this.

There's also passages stating you must "do" or act and not just profess.