How not to react when your child tells you he's gay.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@Jacanuk: the parents views aren't really defendable though. The religious aspect of them is irrelevant. If the parents were racist and didn't want them to date outside their skin color, what would you say?

Take religion out of the equation. Would you still say that we should respect the parents beliefs?

Because the views of the racists and the views of people who don't accept homosexuality are on the same level. I'm sorry if you think that offends people's religion but they don't get to hide behind religion as if it is this infallible always respectable thing.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#202 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@watchdogsrules said:

@rabakill: well i said i don't support them, never said i hate them and i never treat them badly. and i know what happens to my soul, thats probably the MAIN reason why i DON'T hate gay people. if i do, its hell, no questions asked.

hell? oh you mean that place that was magically tacked onto the religion decades later to keep the sheep in the flock with fangs?

no I mean the state of being that a soul attains if they are aligned with the wrong side. Keep an open mind, the things religion and popculture teach about spirituality are nearly 100% incorrect, purposefully so you are told a lie on purpose so that you'll find it stupid, like you do with your self-righteous indignation. There's more to reality than it appears.

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

Yeah, im a little skeptical on this, havent watche the video and i care not too but I've been hearing about this. First why film it, yes i heard the excuse of something might happen like him getting hurt but he put it the internet. Sounds like he is looking for an audience.

Second he got $80 grand as donations? Is he giving it the lgbt or some other charity or is he pocketing it. Sounds like a very good scam to me and everyone is failing for it.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 dave123321

Also I guess I should note that I am very much aware that religious views are not this monolithic thing, and am just talking about a specific subset of beliefs.

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@Chickity_China said:

I am a Christian and I want to add that the behavior the family displayed is very non-Christian. We are all sinners, and God hates all sin equally. Yet Christ's sacrifice has separated our sin from us so that God does not hate us despite the sins and crimes we commit. He forgives us and asks us to love and forgive each other.

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." Matthew 6:14-15

Now, I don't approve of being gay, but I have no right to judge anyone for their choices because I myself am a sinner. It is God's role to judge in the end, as Christians, we can only forgive and love. That is obeying the word of God.

Slightly off topic but why do so many Christians say being gay is a choice? Not once in the bible does it say that and it goes against all evidence and common sense to think it.

Just seems like such an odd thing to say.

I can see why anyone, not just Christians, thinks its a choice for most people who are living a the gay lifestyle.The behavior of a lot of young people disputes the born gay belief. I have friends who were never gay in high school but are now gay for fun. many young people, mainly girls, are going bi/gay for fun as a youth then going back to being straight as they get older. kind of hard to say being gay isn't a choice when you see the youth of today.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#206 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Seems like the kid was hoping to provoke his parents. All he had to keep his mouth shut till he moved out. Instead he confronts his parents on camera.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

@magicalclick said:

It sux, but, it is unfair to demand parents to love their children like this. And a smart kid would already anticipated this outcome and wait it out. And yes, I am gay and I know how it feels like. But, it is always better to wait it out to avoid unnecessary conflict. There are times I wanted to tell my parents I have a master. And everyone I have dated said the same thing, wait it out until I can be on my own. Because all of us gays have to considered the worst case scenario. So, no. I don't blame the parents. Unless there is depression issues. A gay should be patient and wait it out.

At least this guy has some wisdom. Why create further anguish? Bide your time

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#209  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@dave123321 said:

@Jacanuk: the parents views aren't really defendable though. The religious aspect of them is irrelevant. If the parents were racist and didn't want them to date outside their skin color, what would you say?

Take religion out of the equation. Would you still say that we should respect the parents beliefs?

Because the views of the racists and the views of people who don't accept homosexuality are on the same level. I'm sorry if you think that offends people's religion but they don't get to hide behind religion as if it is this infallible always respectable thing.

Of course the parents views are defendable they have a right to believe in a god, its even written down in the 1st amendment.

And i don't need to take religion out of the equation, not mention that even mentioning that religious beliefs is comparable to racisme is just way out there and has no basis.

Again having religion is not irrational, being racist is. So what about we stay on topic and not go of course like that.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@xeno_ghost said:

@HoolaHoopMan:

"What should the son have done instead?"

Why are you just focused on the son, I said both sides could have handled the situation better, the question you should be asking is, how could both sides of handled the situation better? And still if you can't answer that question for yourself...,,,,

The only problem I see here is two asshole parents berating their son for something he has no control over. The same thing would probably have happened even if he didn't tape it. Is he supposed to suppress who he is because his parents are awful?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#211  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@LordQuorthon said:

I have a feeling that Jesus will call that guy's monster parents and tell them that homosexuality is OK now that he's got 80K dollars. That's just how christians roll. Awwww.

Jesus has a good heart. He even died for our sins and let us enter Heaven because God thought of us as his greatest mistake. I'm sure he forgives gays as well as he never mentioned anything about homosexuality in the bible.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 dave123321

@Jacanuk: of course the parents have the right to do what they want. And I will defend that right, but I'm not going to hold my tongue on how shitty I think those views are, nor will I not think less of them as people. If they were racists that's also completely within their right. And I keep bringing up racism to hone in on the idea that if this was a race thing it wouldn't be much worse at all then what these parents are doing. Their views are on par with parents who disown their kid for dating the wrong skin color. The views being based in a religious context doesn't make them any less awful.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#213 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

his mom got one thing right.. he is quite literally a son of a bitch.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#214 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

There's no limit to how crappy people can be. It would have been better for him to hold off on telling his parents until he's already out of the house. Surely he knew his parents would react badly. Being gay isn't his choice, but when he comes out to his parents is. Still, it's a terrible situation and I hate that some kids wind up dealing with it. I couldn't listen to the full video. Depressing stuff.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@BranKetra said:

@toast_burner: Prove it.

I already explained it. You said it's wrong to dismiss religious claims yet at the same time you are dismissing non-religious claims, simply for not being religious.

Why don't you answer the question. Why is it disrespectful to say a religious person is wrong, but not for a religious person to say a nonreligious person is wrong?

Why does it matter if a persons reason for being homophobic is religious or not? Nobody here is saying that they shouldn't be allowed to think that they want, just that religion shouldn't be a tool used to protect them from all criticism. If a person wants to believe that blacks are inferior because god said so, to me that is no different than to say that blacks are inferior because phrenology shows them to be. If you want to believe in pseudo-science, you're free to do so, but that doesn't mean you're immune from criticism, it's bullshit to say that is phrenology becomes part of a religion it should then automatically become something that should never be questioned.

If you want religious equality, then you must accept that religion should not be a tool to protect people from criticism.

Watching this debate is like watching Mike Tyson beat up a 4 year old.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#216 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch: I must tell you that instigation does you no honor.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

I feel the father.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@elkoldo said:

I feel the father.

LMFAO

which movie is it from ??? =P

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts
@indzman said:

@elkoldo said:

I feel the father.

LMFAO

ÙŽAmerican Beauty :P

Jesus ,if you haven't seen this movie, then what in God's name have you been doing with your life ?!

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 indzman

@elkoldo said:
@indzman said:

@elkoldo said:

I feel the father.

LMFAO

Jesus ,if you haven't seen this movie, then what in God's name have you been doing with your life ?!

Seen American Pie. not American Beauty. Isn't it about a pedo?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@indzman said:

@elkoldo said:
@indzman said:

@elkoldo said:

I feel the father.

LMFAO

No. It's about a guy having a mid life crisis and decides to quit his job and do what ever he wants, including trying to sleep with a high school girl

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By indzman

@toast_burner said:

@indzman said:

@elkoldo said:
@indzman said:

@elkoldo said:

I feel the father.

LMFAO

No. It's about a guy having a mid life crisis and decides to quit his job and do what ever he wants, including trying to sleep with a high school girl

Ahhh ! Isn't a middle age man trying to sleep with a high school girl considered a pedophile act?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@indzman said:

@toast_burner said:

@indzman said:

@elkoldo said:

Ahhh ! Isn't a middle age man trying to sleep with a high school girl considered a pedophile act?

No paedophilia means attraction to prepubescent children. Having sex with a a teenager who is under age would be statutory rape.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 indzman

@toast_burner said:

@indzman said:

@toast_burner said:

@indzman said:

@elkoldo said:

No paedophilia means attraction to prepubescent children. Having sex with a a teenager who is under age would be statutory rape.

Ahhh, sorry had misconception about pedophilia. So, American Beauty worth watching? Just checked on wiki, directors good Sam Mendes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@indzman said:

Ahhh, sorry had misconception about pedophilia. So, American Beauty worth watching? Just checked on wiki, directors good Sam Mendes.

It's a little dated and rather pretentious. But it's still a good film.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 indzman

@toast_burner said:

@indzman said:

It's a little dated and rather pretentious. But it's still a good film.

Nice. Its on my see list now :)

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@dave123321 said:

Not really related to the gay thing but at 20 you don't have a right to live at the house and the son should be trying to support himself

More and more children are staying with their parents past the age of 18. Especially now that a lot more adults are going to college. Its difficult to go straight to college if you have to leave your parents home at 18. I'm still with my mom and I'm currently 20. I don't plan to move out until I'm 21 when I transfer to a university. I don't think children should have to focus on supporting themselves unless the parents are very clear early on that they will have too.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch

@BranKetra: And I must say that talking like that makes you sound weird.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#229 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@dave123321 said:

Not really related to the gay thing but at 20 you don't have a right to live at the house and the son should be trying to support himself

More and more children are staying with their parents past the age of 18. Especially now that a lot more adults are going to college. Its difficult to go straight to college if you have to leave your parents home at 18. I'm still with my mom and I'm currently 20. I don't plan to move out until I'm 21 when I transfer to a university. I don't think children should have to focus on supporting themselves unless the parents are very clear early on that they will have too.

Yep, I lived with my parents past 20 as well. It was like renting a room; I did the chores and payed my share of the bills, but until I managed to get a job that payed well, it seemed a bit ridiculous to be spending all my paycheck into rent of a tiny apartment, when my parents never showed any interest in getting me out of the house. It's not always easy to move out, there's a lot of factors...or maybe it was because I lived in a shitty country where the minimum wager wasn't even enough to rent a 1 bedroom apartment...

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By branketra

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

I could say some things about you and the way you generally post, but I do not want to single you out as that would be impolite and off-topic.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch

@BranKetra said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

I could say some things about you and the way you generally post, but I do not want to single you out as that would be impolite and off-topic.

Damn, you just dodge conflict don't you? Not the first time i've seen you do this.

You say you don't want to single me out, but you took the time to say a back handed off topic comment.

It says a lot.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 branketra

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@BranKetra said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Damn, you just dodge conflict don't you? Not the first time i've seen you do this.

You say you don't want to single me out, but you took the time to say a back handed off topic comment.

It says a lot.

There was nothing "back-handed" about it. I simply felt the need to address a comment about me to a certain extent in a way that was fair. If you feel it was not, you are welcome to explain why along with anything else I am doing which is concerning to you in a private conversation or at Bug Reporting & Feedback.

No hard feelings

leonluvwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#233 leonluvwow
Member since 2014 • 28 Posts

Hard to accept but have to!

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Of course the parents views are defendable they have a right to believe in a god, its even written down in the 1st amendment.

And i don't need to take religion out of the equation, not mention that even mentioning that religious beliefs is comparable to racisme is just way out there and has no basis.

Again having religion is not irrational, being racist is. So what about we stay on topic and not go of course like that.

Quit condoning bullshit behavior behind the guise of religion, its lazy and stupid. The parents are bigots plain and simple, not a single iota better than racists. There is NOTHING defendable about what they did. To try and justify it says a lot your own character.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#235 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts
Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@watchdogsrules said:

@lamprey263: what in the hell are you talking about?! thats exactly the way you react. you're right though. they should love him regardless, but they are justified. they react like this because they love their son, they know where he's gonna end up 100 years from now, and i'm not about to go into detail about said place because its a bit too graphic. the point is that this guy got exactly what he deserved. but hey, its his choice . if he wants to go to hell so badly, then who am i or anybody to deny him. btw, i've read some of the penalties for being gay online from people who had out of body experiences. trust me, the things they do in there are not pretty. but hey, i feel sorry for this kid, he doesn't know whats coming to him. man, poor bastard. i sitll cannot believe he called his mom a bitch. this guy.

Last I checked we were all sinners, hope you don't actually own a cell phone or a handheld electronic device.. Because we have linked cell phone electronics with conflict metals from Africa.. Leading to deaths of people.. Our materialism had led to the deaths of numerous people, either directly or indirectly.. It only illustrates how fucked up and backwards your beliefs are if you think this some how is worse than numerous other sins out there that as a culture we are collectively guilty of.. And finally perhaps you should crack open the good book and read up how we are all sinners and that you have to accept in faith, Jesus as savior.. Being gay and still holding that belief would not change this.....

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@alim298 said:

That kid brought this on himself. You don't just insult other people's belief by saying that I don't give a crap about the word of God and that a psychologist knows better (Btw psychology is a really subjective science. It's not math) . He didn't stop there though. He continued by saying that his parents did a shitty job in raising him and that giving him food or shelter isn't raising. **** THAT DUDE. Why does he think his parents gave him shelter and food? Why did they give birth to him? Did they hope that one day he is going to grow up and go to work and pay them for their food and shelter? No they raised him out of mercy and kindness. That's a lot more than any stranger would do for you. But I guess this is a subject that you people who lived with no worries but missing the bus in the morning don't understand. Were it my own son I would disinherit him damn him and forsake him forever until he apologizes.

While this wus is raising 80,000 dollars because someone punched him in the face people are being butchered by ISIS and boko haram. Massive collateral damage is acceptable because it's not happening to you, it's happening to some Arabs. Mass slaughters, starvation, sickness. The humanity is in it's most depraved state. When I heard hadith that the Messiah will come in a time when people are harsh and injustice has filled the face of this earth I laughed and said how can this hadith be true? How can God know that his servants are going to turn into such cruel beings and never do anything about it? But now I understand. God has already shown the right path.The signs are everywhere. No apology accepted. What should be done is known to everyone and no one acts upon it. But let some folks enjoy their gay activism, feminism, socialism, capitalism, separatism, atheism, etc. Let them feel good about themselves. Let them think they're bringing something new to the table. Something that hasn't been done before. Let them think they are a revolutionary race, these "modern" human beings. Let them claim to be what they're not: humans. Let them love the smell of their own farts.

There is more to parenting than providing shelter and food.. Perhaps you should talk to child services, a service that constantly deems parents unfit to have custody of their children even when they have food and shelter.. And I am sorry but what? Are we talking about Darfur? Rwandan Genoicide.. Or WW2 Holocaust or Nanking massacre.. Or wait what about Vietnam War.. Or how about the Influenza epidemic of 1918 where 70 million people died right after we had a massive World War 1 with millions dead in killing one another.. The only thing hilarious here is how ignorant you are in pointing out one event among many of genocides, massacres, and disasters throughout the last 100 years that have taken place at far greater capacity..

Tell us genius, what makes the current event some how the tipping point? And not the hundreds before it, ones that you don't even mention while trying to berate people in ignoring these tragedies...

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#238 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

**** Christianity and religion in general.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I wouldn't kick my son out of the house but it would definitely be a mental blow to me. I'd probably call my best friend up and immediately go out for a drink. That's a hell of a shock to get. The kid has been working this out in their mind for years. The parent is supposed to work it out in split seconds? That's not realistic imo. Just like how women fret over being pregnant and process it for days and weeks but then expect their boyfriends or husbands to have the most super idealistic reaction the second they find out about it. That's only if it's a total shock though. If my son had been flaming since like age 4 I'd probably just react like, "you're the only one who hadn't come to grips with this yet."

After that day I think I'd be fine with it. Call it sexist or whatever, but if my son is gay he's under daughter rules where we have an understanding the the less I know about your sex life, the better for all of us. Anything you can do to keep me in the dark is exactly what I'm looking for. You don't have to hide who you're dating or the fact that you date from me, but when around me I want to have the impression that it's some super wholesome Leave it to Beaver relationship. You ant sex talk from a parent, talk to your mother.

That's for a son though. If it was my daughter, she'd probably be upset because my reaction would be, "whatever," and I'd go back to doing whatever it was that I was doing. Girls being gay is whatever. They already do so much suspect stuff that I wouldn't be shocked to find out they were experimenting with being bisexual or were full on homosexual. The same rules of please keep me in the dark would apply though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#240 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Senor_Kami: Why would your child's sexual orientation be a "mental blow" one way or another? Also, why is it so hard for you to embrace the fact that your child might be sexually active that you'd have to pretend that they're not? And if I understood correctly, if it was a straight son you would want to know about his sex life? That's confusing to me...I'm not judging, just curious.