how can people stand watching asian films???

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Im talking about asian martial arts films...seriously I find them 100% unenjoyable...the acting is terrible, the plot is extremely crazy, confusive and terrible as well, the special effects suck, the fighting scenes suck, they overuse bungee (and looks extremely fake) as if a god would have commanded them to use it in order to make the movie look both fake and terrible.

at first I thought I was watching the wrong movies...so I decided to watch 2 of the best rated asian films: crouching tiger, hidden dragon and hero...

my opinion didnt changed one bit...I mean why do they have to use the bungee like that? the guys jump like over 3000 feet in the air and move their legs as if they were running and they move in extreme slow motion...then the fights were completly bloodless...even though in CTHD a guy gets a huge blade stuck on his forehead, there is not one drop of blood in this scene. the plot is extremely confusive and just weird...and hero did not differ either, the fights looked extremely fake, they still abused the bungee and the plot also sucked...

so now I wonder...what do asian movies fans see in this movies? why do they like them? and what do you think about them?

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts
I agree completely. So are you turning up for the next Klan meeting or what?
XxViLxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 XxViLxX
Member since 2010 • 54 Posts

Haha I hate those movies you mentioned, but not all asian movies are that bad. Try Ip Man 1 and 2. :D

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lightleggy
and I also hate asian horror films...the bad guy (or girl actually) is always a girl with dark, long hair (usually covering the face) and at the end everyone dies in a horrible (but still not shocking way) I also watched an asian film which differed from the average description, called "rule number 1" or something like that...the movie sucked...and I could never recognize the characters because they were all the same...
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I can't stand them. I think they suck.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lightleggy
wow I just checked on RT and CTHD has a 97!!!!!!!!!! and the consensus says "great acting, great storyline, great effects, the action of the matrix and the romance of titanic" wth were they thinking??? :S
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Ong Bak doesn't have any special effects or bungee at all, and while the acting sucks, the action is unbelievably kick ass.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

what most people don't know "YOU" is that these are based of comics where they give the characters ability to fly and glide and all that, I enjoy these movies because their just that movies and their for your entertainment. No need to bash something that's fictional I don't see how people can watch old black and white movies but my mom enjoys them so who am i to say they suck because i don't understand them.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Ever consider that the "floaty" type of martial arts movies aren't for you? Try Enter the Dragon or Ong-Bak if you want something more "realistic".
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
maybe.....just maybe people have different tastes to yours ? but dont mind my opinion, i'm just a lowly asian movie liker.
Avatar image for deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
deactivated-60f8966fb59f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
Member since 2008 • 1719 Posts
I dunno. Here in the US we sit while watching films. :?
Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts

Ong Bak doesn't have any special effects or bungee at all, and while the acting sucks, the action is unbelievably kick ass.

MetroidPrimePwn
Try Chocolate by the same director. Absolutely amazing film.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lightleggy

what most people don't know "YOU" is that these are based of comics where they give the characters ability to fly and glide and all that, I enjoy these movies because their just that movies and their for your entertainment. No need to bash something that's fictional I don't see how people can watch old black and white movies but my mom enjoys them so who am i to say they suck because i don't understand them.

Chris_Williams
im not complaining about their ability to fly...im complaining about the crappy way in which they do it...hell if I could fly I wouldnt just jump at an extremely slow speed making everyone notice that im using a bungee and then start "running" in the air...I would just start flying and save all that bullcrap of kicking you know?
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
I dunno. Here in the US we sit while watching films. :?Welkabonz
or lie on a sofa with a soft pillow under their melon
KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

Watch Shaolin Soccer, it will change your perception of life.

auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
beat me to it.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lightleggy

Watch Shaolin Soccer, it will change your perception of life.

KG86
I already did...original movie, but not very well made
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Well we all have different tastes right? :) I personally love asian martial arts movies, including both CTHD and Hero.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts
there's a lot of crap out there, but I love the older Jackie Chan movies, there's some good stunt work in there and the films have a lot of humor, but keep watching there'll be some good ones out there even if most of them are crap
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

wow I just checked on RT and CTHD has a 97!!!!!!!!!! and the consensus says "great acting, great storyline, great effects, the action of the matrix and the romance of titanic" wth were they thinking??? :Slightleggy
its called an opinion is that problem with you that someone has an opinion?

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]wow I just checked on RT and CTHD has a 97!!!!!!!!!! and the consensus says "great acting, great storyline, great effects, the action of the matrix and the romance of titanic" wth were they thinking??? :STheShadowLord07

No, it's a collective opinion that scored 97, therefore it's not subjective, Leggy's opinion is just wrong.
Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts

Im talking about asian martial arts films...seriously I find them 100% unenjoyable...the acting is terrible, the plot is extremely crazy, confusive and terrible as well, the special effects suck, the fighting scenes suck, they overuse bungee (and looks extremely fake) as if a god would have commanded them to use it in order to make the movie look both fake and terrible.

at first I thought I was watching the wrong movies...so I decided to watch 2 of the best rated asian films: crouching tiger, hidden dragon and hero...

my opinion didnt changed one bit...I mean why do they have to use the bungee like that? the guys jump like over 3000 feet in the air and move their legs as if they were running and they move in extreme slow motion...then the fights were completly bloodless...even though in CTHD a guy gets a huge blade stuck on his forehead, there is not one drop of blood in this scene. the plot is extremely confusive and just weird...and hero did not differ either, the fights looked extremely fake, they still abused the bungee and the plot also sucked...

so now I wonder...what do asian movies fans see in this movies? why do they like them? and what do you think about them?

lightleggy
The jumping 3000 feet in the air and running is based on ancient Chinese lore and culture. It seems you're just ignorant on that but now you know!
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

i would say the over all quailty of asian movies are lower. however i have seen many great asian movies. Robo geisha is best move ever

smokingsbad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 smokingsbad
Member since 2004 • 38455 Posts
i love jackie chan old films xD police story ftw.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Rofl. Ownage.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

opinions dont equal facts TC.

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheShadowLord07

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]wow I just checked on RT and CTHD has a 97!!!!!!!!!! and the consensus says "great acting, great storyline, great effects, the action of the matrix and the romance of titanic" wth were they thinking??? :Ssupa_badman

No, it's a collective opinion that scored 97, therefore it's not subjective, Leggy's opinion is just wrong.

I thought he meant the reviewer on rt gave CTHD a 97. I dont really go on there.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

I wouldnt judge Asian films by a few you don't like. There are plenty of great Asian films that are not like those you mentioned. The films you mentioned have a certain styl e that not everyone likes, but I personally like them. You should watch films by Akira Kurosawa, Kairo, or Fires on the plain. There are many great Asian films if you look for them.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

The films Bruce Lee did in Hong Kong are considered collectibles in the U.S.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#30 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

Haha I hate those movies you mentioned, but not all asian movies are that bad. Try Ip Man 1 and 2. :D

XxViLxX
Ip Man 1 was the best.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

and I also hate asian horror films...the bad guy (or girl actually) is always a girl with dark, long hair (usually covering the face) and at the end everyone dies in a horrible (but still not shocking way) I also watched an asian film which differed from the average description, called "rule number 1" or something like that...the movie sucked...and I could never recognize the characters because they were all the same...lightleggy

The original "The Eye" and "The Eye 2" are a couple of pretty good suspense/horror films.

medic36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 medic36
Member since 2010 • 486 Posts
The asian films that I watch are dubbed English with subtitles from my native language. It's like using an online translator to communicate with a foreigner. I can't understand *****.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

The asian films that I watch are dubbed English with subtitles from my native language. It's like using an online translator to communicate with a foreigner. I can't understand *****.medic36

lol, babbelfilm.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

lightleggy
Drunken Master says hi. Why can you complain about how the action scenes are? They are just like any super hero movie or comic out there. Course its not real. Also all the fights are choreographed to insanity. They are all done very VERY well. With the blood, is it really necessary? Do we really need blood to have a cool fight scene? Im wondering, what movies do you think have good fight scenes and plots?
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]wow I just checked on RT and CTHD has a 97!!!!!!!!!! and the consensus says "great acting, great storyline, great effects, the action of the matrix and the romance of titanic" wth were they thinking??? :STheShadowLord07

how would you feel if every site out there gives the superior score that they gave to mgs4, uncharted 2, super mario galaxy, bla bla bla. and then gamespot comes in and gives a 5 to all those games? sure you can have an opinion, but I would expect a more professional opinion and a more demanding criteria for a large caliber movie critic
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]wow I just checked on RT and CTHD has a 97!!!!!!!!!! and the consensus says "great acting, great storyline, great effects, the action of the matrix and the romance of titanic" wth were they thinking??? :Slightleggy

how would you feel if every site out there gives the superior score that they gave to mgs4, uncharted 2, super mario galaxy, bla bla bla. and then gamespot comes in and gives a 5 to all those games? sure you can have an opinion, but I would expect a more professional opinion and a more demanding criteria for a large caliber movie critic

Are you a large caliber movie critic? Maybe their opinion matters more to people than yours.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Have you ever seen Old Boy?
Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
So you watched 100% of the movies from a genre you hate.....why?
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="lightleggy"]and I also hate asian horror films...the bad guy (or girl actually) is always a girl with dark, long hair (usually covering the face) and at the end everyone dies in a horrible (but still not shocking way)

Much better than western horrors which are just gore fests. Anyway the slow motion i believe is used in a stylistic way, it's not supposed to be realistic, more like a myth or a legend. If you wanted something realistic you were watching the wrong film.
pankaj_31085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pankaj_31085
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

Lolz.. You are absolutly right man.. to hell with them why to even bother thinking about it.. they won't improve in next many centuries .. you just enjoy the stuff that you like..........

Bone_Crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bone_Crusher
Member since 2005 • 100 Posts

worst fight scenes..!!? Asians films are the best at that ish..

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

yeah i never could understand the appeal of these kung fu movies where they're somehow able to jump 50 feet and run along tree tops, but i do like Bruce Lee and some Jackie Chan flicks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Wuxia makes about as much sense as superhero comics and time traveling Terminators to me.

Better yet, the talking trees and Gollums of LOTR Middle Earth.

one_plum

well terminators are from the future so they have the technology or something, and the others are fantasy.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I'll agree with the point that a lot of Asian movies have terrible acting(but not the two you mentioned)
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

[QUOTE="one_plum"]

Wuxia makes about as much sense as superhero comics and time traveling Terminators to me.

iwilson1296

well terminators are from the future so they have the technology or something

While they are able to have such advance technology to travel time, they are not smart enough figure out to kill one human?
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheShadowLord07

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]wow I just checked on RT and CTHD has a 97!!!!!!!!!! and the consensus says "great acting, great storyline, great effects, the action of the matrix and the romance of titanic" wth were they thinking??? :Slightleggy

How would I feel? I really wouldnt care. I dont play the game based off what the reviewer says. I play it cause it looks like its worth my time. And I know that Americans movies were inspired by asian films in some shape or form. some of them are very popular btw. Like Star Wars A New Hope

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is one of the best stories ever told. IF all you're looking for is action and realistic special effects then it's unlikely you've ever understood or appreciated any movie you ever watched. Movies don't need to be a perfect reflection of reality, if they were, they'd be boring, unwatchable and have no point at all. IF all you want is mindless entertainment that you don't have to think about or reflect on past "oo, that looks nice." then good for you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5ee322a396e26

[QUOTE="iwilson1296"]

[QUOTE="one_plum"]

Lonelynight

well terminators are from the future so they have the technology or something

While they are able to have such advance technology to travel time, they are not smart enough figure out to kill one human?

well that i'm not sure, maybe they figured most people wouldn't want to watch a movie that lasted only 10 minutes.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I actually like some of them.

I have watched 2 really good ones (although indeed weird ones): I remember one which had some crazy moments (a woman flying while being dragged with a rope as if she were a kite and other stuff) but I appreciate that styIe. Its images you would see reading a book or a myth with extravagant descitpions (which dont sound as bizarre in a book) and they tried to portray that styIe in a movie and I think they did a relatively good job.