how can people stand watching asian films???

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

I guess what we think is lame they probably thought was hilarious.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

Well Mr. Silly Pants TC creator ignoring the fact that you are generalizing like nobody's business Martial arts, like many other genres comes in many forms. Yes you did pick a couple of very good films (Hero in particular) but you inability to enjoy the unrealistic nature of the ensuing fisticuffs is because those are both films in Wu Xia fantasy genre. Complaining about their lack of realism is similar to complaining about the abilities of characters from the various X-Men films.

But yes, as a big fan of martial art films I will admit that there are quite a lot of films with bad plots but good fights ('Wheels on Meals' I'm looking at you), but as with any genre there are many great films from all the different sub-genres. It's sounds like you might want something a bit more gritty and realistic so you might want to check out Sha Po Lang known in the U.S. 'Killzone'.

Cool fight from Killzone

Or a little more Donnie Yen in 'Ip Man' in which he quickly beats down 10 guys

Neither employs any wire-work.

And if you want a bit of blood as it appears you aren't fond of clean fantasy period epics (similar in the lack of bloodshed despite the bodycount much like our popular early Westerns and gangster flicks), then you might want to check out 'The Boxer from Shantung'.

Watch as the main character kills about 80 guys with his bare hands (and whatever else he can find laying around) most resulting in a bloody demise.

End Fight pt 1

End Fight pt 2

sexy-hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 sexy-hippo
Member since 2005 • 2170 Posts

I like how you group all the different Asian countries into "Asian films". Korea actually makes some great movies. Japanese movies have some good ideas but I will admit they lack in production.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Watch Ip Man, and be ashamed of yourself.
xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

Why don't you complain about giant robots in Transformers, or the fact that there's wizards in Harry Potter? They're all equally unrealistic and ridiculous.

sogni_belli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 sogni_belli
Member since 2010 • 950 Posts

Interesting how TC makes a generalized overall opinion of the entirety of Asian cinema based upon viewing two wuxia genre films, of which one (CTHD) is more aptly classified as a stylized homage to actual wuxia films. Asian cinema is not just wuxia or even martial arts, for that matter. I suggest expanding your sample size. If you don't like wuxia, that's fine. Try something more serious, like "Chinese Box," starring the always beautiful and talented Maggie Cheung. Yeah, she does more than just wuxia stuff.......

Evolution-X0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 Evolution-X0
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
the only one i liked was battle royale. "send the class to an island to fight to the death, the last one alive wins!"
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I dont. never liked them. when I was little yeah
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
You watched two Wuxia films and make a full opinion not only on Martial Arts Cinema, but Asian Cinema as a whole?
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#60 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I actually like some of them.

I have watched 2 really good ones (although indeed weird ones): I remember one which had some crazy moments (a woman flying while being dragged with a rope as if she were a kite and other stuff) but I appreciate that styIe. Its images you would see reading a book or a myth with extravagant descitpions (which dont sound as bizarre in a book) and they tried to portray that styIe in a movie and I think they did a relatively good job.

Teenaged
I get your point, I would not like a movie to look ultra realistic...because us humans cant fly, so making an "ultra realistic" special effect for flying would look ridiculous...all im saying is...there are way better effects or techniques than the ones used in asian films to "make someone fly" the bungee looks extremely ridiculous because of the low speed, when the characters jump, they ascend extremely slow, instead of doing it faster, so that the people dont notice the bungee so much. and im not saying that only asian films make deffying gravity look ridiculous...charlie's angel pretty much tells the law of physics to go f*** themselves
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 lightleggy

Why don't you complain about giant robots in Transformers, or the fact that there's wizards in Harry Potter? They're all equally unrealistic and ridiculous.

xionvalkyrie
because im not complaining about being unrealistic. im complaining about the effects looking ridiculous...seriously if I could be given the ability to fly...but they tell me that it will look exactly as the people who flew on CTHD, with the same ascension speed at all...I would kill myself, I mean I would not even say no...I would just put a gun against my head and splatter my brains
NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
the asian martial arts films where people have super powers and horrible special effects are funny as hell. I watch it for comedy
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
I agree completely. So are you turning up for the next Klan meeting or what?Gallion-Beast
:lol: Dear god, I am laughing so hard right now I am having trouble breathing. Thank you good sir. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
also, i love asian movies with horrible english dubbing Its funny too
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#65 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
You ought to see some Japanese horror films. Most modern US horror films are knockoffs of Japanese horror flicks from the 80s and 90s.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 lightleggy
You ought to see some Japanese horror films. Most modern US horror films are knockoffs of Japanese horror flicks from the 80s and 90s.UT_Wrestler
yeah like the grudge, the ring and the eye. and should I say...those 3 movies are probably the worst you will find in horror genre
ehsan8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#67 ehsan8888
Member since 2007 • 2303 Posts

Well, you saw a different style of te martial arts genre. If you're looking for traditional fighting, I heavily recommend Bruce Lee, with high recommendation to Enter The Dragon, or maybe try the works of Jackie Chan. He also has a good number of good action movies. If you are interested in swordsman films, I suggest a number of films by Akira Kurosawa like Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, or Sanjuro.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#68 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]You ought to see some Japanese horror films. Most modern US horror films are knockoffs of Japanese horror flicks from the 80s and 90s.lightleggy
yeah like the grudge, the ring and the eye. and should I say...those 3 movies are probably the worst you will find in horror genre

I didn't say the American knockoffs were good, however the respective films they are based off of are quite good IMO.
victorwang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69 victorwang
Member since 2008 • 713 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Asian films are boring. They are not good at writing stories and they teach you something useless.