G@y soldiers dismissed under DADT since '04 receive backpay

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#51 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Men and women who served their country faithfully in the armed forces and who were later dismissed based on something that had nothing at all to due with their military service get back pay for many years.

Storm_Marine

And the thing is, breaking military rules by definition has something to do with their military service. The military has a huge amount absurd rules and when you join it, you should be expected to follow them. Like it or not.

Just throwing it out there... The rule was "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". Basically, you could serve in the armed forces if you were gay so long as nobody knew it. Your assumption in your response is that individuals who were discharged under DADT DELIBERATELY broke that rule. In other words, that ALL of them joined the armed forces so they could then make a devious social statement by revealing their true colors like a wrestler turning heel and ripping off his shirt to reveal a "New World Order" team jersey underneath. This assumption ignores a whole range of possibilities. 1. That they didn't know they were gay when they joined the service. (Acceptance of homosexuality is a relatively new concept in today's society. Many people deny being gay even to themselves, for as long as they possibly can.) 2. That the fact they were gay came out inadvertently instead of deliberately. People make slipups on what they reveal about themselves all the time. Maybe they were talking to a family member on facebook and forgot that one of their military buddies could see what they were saying. Maybe they had a copy of a Cher CD hidden in their locker that someone stumbled upon. Who knows? I could go on, but you get the drift. But, irregardless, two more important details DO factually apply. 1. They aren't "getting paid for doing nothing" anymore than ANYONE ELSE WHO GOT A DISCHARGE FROM THE ARMED FORCES is. Rather, instead of getting half pay for their discharge they're getting the same amount as anyone else because the armed forces and the government determined that a previous policy was not correct. In other words, no special rights for gays...but just getting the same amount of money they otherwise would have. 2. The amount of money we're talking about is TRIVIAL next to the defense budget. There's been 3968 soldiers discharged under DADT since 2004 until it was repealed according to Wikipedia. If we, conservatively, assume that we're talking about, on average, about 4.5 years of additional pay we can do some very rough calculations. I have absolutely no idea what the severance pay is and it probably varies by rank, but let's just say that half of their annual severance pay is $15,000 annually. Heck, just to make sure we don't underestimate the price tag by too much, I'll make it $30,000 which assume severance pay per year is $60,000 which seems pretty darn good. 3968 soldiers times an average of 4.5 years times 30,000 per year = $535,680,000. The average ANNUAL defense budget in the U.S.?  Approximately 711 BILLION dollars annually. 711,000,000,000 (Note, that is 2008 budget. Probably higher today. But this will be close enough.) So, if we assume that that the armed forces decides to take the entire severance pay hit upfront. 535,680,000/711,000,000,000 = .000753% Or approximately 7.5 HUNDREDTHS of a percent. Not one percent. (.01) Not .1 percent. (.001) But 7.5 TENTHS of .1 percent. (.000753) And that's if they decide to take the full severance pay hit in a single year. This is the equivalent of them forking over the pennies you find underneath your couch cushions to do the right thing to the approximately 4000 soldiers who were discharged so they get paid the same severance as any other discharged soldier.
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

You act as if I approve of all severace pay outside of DADT violation. I don't actually.

Storm_Marine

why

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Men and women who served their country faithfully in the armed forces and who were later dismissed based on something that had nothing at all to due with their military service get back pay for many years.

nocoolnamejim

And the thing is, breaking military rules by definition has something to do with their military service. The military has a huge amount absurd rules and when you join it, you should be expected to follow them. Like it or not.

wall of text

way to long, only read the picture, picture makes me think you don't get my point but whatever...

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

wall of text

way to long, only read the picture, picture makes me think you don't get my point but whatever...

Reading is hard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]

wall of text

worlock77

Reading is hard.

it is tedious at times,

unlike some people i am respectful and limit my posts to one or two lines at the maximum.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

Reading is hard.

it is tedious at times,

unlike some people i am respectful and limit my posts to one or two lines at the maximum.

Anyone ever see the movie "Amadeus" and that scene where they're criticizing Mozart for using too many notes?
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#57 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Reading is hard.

nocoolnamejim

it is tedious at times,

Anyone ever see the movie "Amadeus" and that scene where they're criticizing Mozart for using too many notes?

Haha, yep.

(That's my favorite movie of all time, so I've watched it enough times to remember everything from it.)

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

Reading is hard.

it is tedious at times,

Sorry that you have the attention span of a brain damaged toddler but some points require more than 140 characters to convey.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-598fc45371265

^ Poor Whorelock, insults were never his thing.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

Storm_Marine

wall of text

this made me smile
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

That's good.

The tears of idiots are gret.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 worlock77

Storm_Marine
Not an insult, just an observation based on your own statements.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Ok....good for them?

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 nocoolnamejim

Storm_Marine
Two points (short ones so you can read them quickly) 1. "Whorelock" isn't a particularly clever or unique insult either 2. Earlier in the thread you were annoyed that people were just making insults and not arguments. I actually made an argument. It addressed your points and then makes points of my own. By your own admission you chose not to bother reading it and are now exchanging insults. Isn't that hypocritical?
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
Everytime I misspell worlock's name it always comes off sexually offensive. Terrible choice for getting into internet arguments.
CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

Gooddave123321

seems that you agree

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="dave123321"]GoodCKYguy25

seems that you agree

Anyone in their right mind would agree.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Reading is hard.

nocoolnamejim

it is tedious at times,

Do you fancy yourself a prose Mozart?
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nocoolnamejim

it is tedious at times,

dave123321

Do you fancy yourself a prose Mozart?

Depends on who I'm being measured against.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

[QUOTE="dave123321"]GoodCKYguy25

seems that you agree

Yes
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
Sm is a mean name.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
In all reality, them getting the rest of their separation pay for being discharged for being gay isn't really something they can say they are owed. DADT was repealed, not found unconsitutional. It's kind of like getting a speeding ticket for going 55 in a 45 and asking for your ticket fine to be refunded because that street you was pulled over on raised the speed limit to 55 ten years later. Not that I'm mad, but looking at the big picture this was probably more of a political move than the government trying to be fair.
[QUOTE="Bucked20"]They could of been pretending whiskeystrike
Like they would have known a decade ahead of time to pretend to be gay . The pay isn't that much

Actually, while most of them were probably genuine some troops really did pretend to be gay so they could get out of going to Iraq and Afghanistan. Didn't have anything to do with them expecting to get back pay several years down the line.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ad1x2

I have absolutely no idea what the severance pay is and it probably varies by rank, but let's just say that half of their annual severance pay is $15,000 annually. Heck, just to make sure we don't underestimate the price tag by too much, I'll make it $30,000 which assume severance pay per year is $60,000 which seems pretty darn good. 3968 soldiers times an average of 4.5 years times 30,000 per year = $535,680,000.nocoolnamejim

It goes by rank and years of service. Also, it is only a one time payment, you don't get it every year. Seperation pay is meant to cushion the blow of being booted before making it to retirement. Not everybody would qualify, you don't get it if you are removed for misconduct or if you served for less than six years.

zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

In all reality, them getting the rest of their separation pay for being discharged for being gay isn't really something they can say they are owed. DADT was repealed, not found unconsitutional. It's kind of like getting a speeding ticket for going 55 in a 45 and asking for your ticket fine to be refunded because that street you was pulled over on raised the speed limit to 55 ten years later. Not that I'm mad, but looking at the big picture this was probably more of a political move than the government trying to be fair. [QUOTE="whiskeystrike"][QUOTE="Bucked20"]They could of been pretending ad1x2
Like they would have known a decade ahead of time to pretend to be gay . The pay isn't that much

Actually, while most of them were probably genuine some troops really did pretend to be gay so they could get out of going to Iraq and Afghanistan. Didn't have anything to do with them expecting to get back pay several years down the line.

What if they were bisexual?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ad1x2

[QUOTE="ad1x2"]In all reality, them getting the rest of their separation pay for being discharged for being gay isn't really something they can say they are owed. DADT was repealed, not found unconsitutional. It's kind of like getting a speeding ticket for going 55 in a 45 and asking for your ticket fine to be refunded because that street you was pulled over on raised the speed limit to 55 ten years later. Not that I'm mad, but looking at the big picture this was probably more of a political move than the government trying to be fair. [QUOTE="whiskeystrike"] Like they would have known a decade ahead of time to pretend to be gay . The pay isn't that much zenogandia

What if they were bisexual?

And what if they just didn't want to deploy? Besides, out of all of the Soldiers we knew who were rumored to be faking none of them had enough time in the Army to qualify for separation pay anyway.