G@y soldiers dismissed under DADT since '04 receive backpay

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nocoolnamejim (15136 posts) -
Link [quote="Buzzfeed"] WASHINGTON People discharged from the military under "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" since November 10, 2004 who had only received one-half separation pay following their discharge but who otherwise would have received full pay now will be entitled to that full separation pay, according to the terms of a settlement agreement reached Monday between the American Civil Liberties Union and the federal government. "It makes no sense to continue to penalize service members who were discharged under a discriminatory statute that has already been repealed. The amount of the pay owed to these veterans is small by military standards, but is hugely significant in acknowledging their service to their country," said Joshua Block, staff attorney for the ACLU Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Project, in a statement.

I haven't been this surprised, in a good way, by a bit of news in a long time. Say what you will about homosexuality being immoral or whatever, but this seems like one of those "moral arc of the universe is long but it bends towards justice" thingies that Martin Luther King Jr. said actually happening. Men and women who served their country faithfully in the armed forces and who were later dismissed based on something that had nothing at all to due with their military service get back pay for many years.
#2 Posted by dave123321 (33583 posts) -
Good
#3 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

I'm glad that the theme of getting paid for nothing has reached the US military as well.

#4 Posted by sonicare (53448 posts) -

What do you mean by "backpay"? :P

#5 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -
I love it. Federal government +1 (for once)
#6 Posted by LZ71 (10273 posts) -

Really great news.

I will freely admit that I had no idea that soldiers discharged under DADT only received half-pay. Reading about it now, it seems absolutely ridiculous. But I'm glad that it's finally being corrected.

#7 Posted by sonicare (53448 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrPraline"]I love it. Federal government +1 (for once)

They were all drone pilots, though. Some still work for Barry's secret army.
#8 Posted by Bucked20 (6951 posts) -
They could of been pretending
#9 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -

I'm glad that the theme of getting paid for nothing has reached the US military as well.

Storm_Marine
Just a fruit of them being dismissed for nothing. And it's just their full separation pay. Not even the smallest dent in the moloch that is the defense budget.
#10 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -

Storm_Marine

lol
funny, I don't think we've ever seen you whining about those soldiers who weren't discharged on the back of mindless bigotry getting full pay in their severance package

#11 Posted by sonicare (53448 posts) -
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

MrPraline
Just a fruit of them being dismissed for nothing. And it's just their separation pay. Not even the smallest dent in the moloch that is the defense budget.

Very true. I think it's fine for an unjust termination. Like Praline said, consider it severance pay.
#12 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

MannyDelgado

lol funny, I don't think we've ever seen you whining about those soldiers who weren't discharged on the back of mindless bigotry getting full pay

try harder

#13 Posted by jimkabrhel (15416 posts) -

Good.

#14 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -
[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="MrPraline"]I love it. Federal government +1 (for once)

They were all drone pilots, though. Some still work for Barry's secret army.

hope they put this money into a retirement plan then :}
#15 Posted by lowkey254 (5904 posts) -

Meh.

#16 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Fantastic news

#17 Posted by Aljosa23 (24541 posts) -

They could of been pretending Bucked20
smh.gif

#18 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -
Like they would have known a decade ahead of time to pretend to be gay . The pay isn't that much
#19 Posted by zenogandia (912 posts) -

Awesome news. Free blow... backpay for everyone!

#20 Posted by Slashless (10089 posts) -

Some good news for once.

#21 Posted by Dmorris88 (19 posts) -

So wait let me guess this straight. They knew full well the rules on coming out and being in gay but because of some bleeding heart they now get probably close to 300k for doing nothing. yes descrimination is wrong. Should they get the money , No

#22 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7720 posts) -

Storm_Marine
Aren't you just a bundle of joy!
#23 Posted by Dude_Broski (45 posts) -
I doubt that you are pretending.
#24 Posted by Serraph105 (27705 posts) -

Storm_Marine
How about getting paid due to wrongful firing?
#25 Posted by zenogandia (912 posts) -

So wait let me guess this straight. They knew full well the rules on coming out and being in gay but because of some bleeding heart they now get probably close to 300k for doing nothing. yes descrimination is wrong. Should they get the money , No

Dmorris88

Of course they should. Why is being openly gay earn you a ticket out of serving your country?

#26 Posted by nocoolnamejim (15136 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dmorris88"]

zenogandia

Of course they should. Why is being openly gay earn you a ticket out of serving your country?

Paraphrased answer that you're about to get: 1. Gays are icky 2. Hey, rules are rules bro. They knew them and broke them.
#27 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7720 posts) -
[QUOTE="zenogandia"]

[QUOTE="Dmorris88"]

nocoolnamejim

Paraphrased answer that you're about to get: 1. Gays are icky 2. Hey, rules are rules bro. They knew them and broke them.

3. Bible Bro.
#28 Posted by Dude_Broski (45 posts) -
AM I THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO GIVES A FVCK ABOUT THE RULES?!
#29 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I'm glad that the theme of getting paid for nothing has reached the US military as well.Storm_Marine
They were already getting "severance" pay, just half of what it would have been for a straight person. Not that I disagree with you.
#30 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="Serraph105"] How about getting paid due to wrongful firing?

That would be in the realm of a lawsuit.
#31 Posted by zenogandia (912 posts) -

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="zenogandia"]Of course they should. Why is being openly gay earn you a ticket out of serving your country?

HoolaHoopMan

3. Bible Bro.

I like all three, but #3 is probably the big one. I don't understand it though. Although someone might have a personal issue with gays, seriously they're just gay's. Hell some of them risk their lives for their country.

I can't understand why bible thumpers hate them so much.

#32 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2242 posts) -

It's ridiculous that they didn't recieve it in the first place.

Dmorris88

300K? More like $13,000 per person on average. They are just getting the rest of their severance pay.

#33 Posted by soulless4now (41359 posts) -

Good for them.

#34 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -

Storm_Marine
mmmm your tears fuel me
#35 Posted by Lotus-Edge (50439 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]They could of been pretending Aljosa23

smh.gif

#36 Posted by Shmiity (5007 posts) -

Good. +1 for humanity.

#37 Posted by Shmiity (5007 posts) -

Storm_Marine

Can't believe youre sour over this. Yeah, DADT was an army rule. But that doesn't make the rule right, or acceptable.

#38 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Shmiity

Can't believe youre sour over this. Yeah, DADT was an army rule. But that doesn't make the rule right, or acceptable.

Ehh, Storm's been a big bundle of whine since November 6th.

#39 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Shmiity

rules are rules, you break the rules and aren't working anymore, you don't get paid, simple

#40 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -
Good news is good news.
#41 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Abbeten

mmmm your tears fuel me

well i'm not the one paying for this at least 'shrugs'

#42 Posted by tenaka2 (17013 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

rules are rules, you break the rules and aren't working anymore, you don't get paid, simple

Rules change especially unfair ones. But I am sad this upsets you so much, you are a bitter and twisted individual.

#43 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

Men and women who served their country faithfully in the armed forces and who were later dismissed based on something that had nothing at all to due with their military service get back pay for many years.

nocoolnamejim

And the thing is, breaking military rules by definition has something to do with their military service. The military has a huge amount absurd rules and when you join it, you should be expected to follow them. Like it or not.

#44 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

Actually they're only getting paid the same amount as any other serviceman would for a similar discharge, but don't let facts get in the way of your anal trauma.

#45 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

worlock77

Actually they're only getting paid the same amount as any other serviceman would for a similar discharge, but don't let facts get in the way of your anal trauma.

You act as if I approve of all severace pay outside of DADT violation. I don't actually.

But painting me as homophobic is probably easier for you I suppose....

#46 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
I love that storm is affronted that gays are now treated the same in terms of severance pay. they aren't even getting special compensation. just the same amount that everyone got all along. how dare they.
#47 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

Storm_Marine

mmm your trolling is getting good, all the practice is finally paying off

Good for them, if you serve your country you deserve to be treated with respect(and your full pay).

#48 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

You act as if I approve of all severace pay outside of DADT violation. I don't actually.

damage control

#49 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

you would make an awful american not enough love for the troops
#50 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

In what way did I paint you as a homophobe? I said nothing at all to imply that.