Florida Teen Girl Charged With Felony After Science Experiment Goes Bad

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

kierawilmot.jpg

"Kiera Wilmot got good grades and had a perfect behavior record. She wasn't the kind of kid you'd expect to find hauled away in handcuffs and expelled from school, but that's exactly what happened after an attempt at a science project went horribly wrong."

Full Article

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/04/florida_teen_girl_charged_with.php

Doesn't take much to destroy a life, does it?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Doesn't seem like any big deal what she did. The school should be held responsible if something like this happen.
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

I think it's nothing more than a huge overreaction. This is worth a slap on the wrist, tops.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
Holy fvck This is stupid Sometimes the American legal system makes you scratch your noodle and wonder if you are actually in the land of the free
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I'd claim racism in my defense just to get a kick out of it. I bet the charges would be dropped in an instant.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
1. No one was hurt. 2. No damage was caused. 3. It was a small explosion and smoke as a result of a chemistry experiment. She was arrested for felony charges? Fvck Florida. Fvck oversensitivity.
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Land of Freedom

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

BUT WE HAVE ZERO TOLERANCE. ZERO TOLERANCE.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178848 Posts

Land of Freedom

call_of_duty_10
That's silly. Look I don't agree with what happened to the girl but that's what happens when schools have zero tolerance because people don't all play nice. Since when does freedom mean one can do anything they want? Oh right...never.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Science experiment my ass. She made a drano bomb, she should be expelled and at least be sentenced with community service.
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

Land of Freedom

LJS9502_basic

That's silly. Look I don't agree with what happened to the girl but that's what happens when schools have zero tolerance because people don't all play nice. Since when does freedom mean one can do anything they want? Oh right...never.

I was kidding. But I do think this is incredibly stupid.

"After the explosion Wilmot was taken into custody by a school resources officer and charged with possession/discharge of a weapon on school grounds and discharging a destructive device. She will be tried as an adult. "wtf

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

Science experiment my ass. She made a drano bomb, she should be expelled and at least be sentenced with community service.DaBrainz

Edit: Though I don't think she intented to hurt anyone, I do think she knew what the end result of that experiment would be.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaBrainz
I would also like to know what they mean by "experiment went wrong". It's a drano bomb, looks to me it went according to plan.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaBrainz

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Science experiment my ass. She made a drano bomb, she should be expelled and at least be sentenced with community service.byof_america

Edit: Though I don't think she intented to hurt anyone, I do think she knew what the end result of that experiment would be.

Sure, my friends and I used to set those off in my back yard when I was a teenager. To do it at a public school is a very poor choice.
byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

[QUOTE="byof_america"]

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Science experiment my ass. She made a drano bomb, she should be expelled and at least be sentenced with community service.DaBrainz

Sure, my friends and I used to set those off in my back yard when I was a teenager. To do it at a public school is a very poor choice.

Agreed

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they label her a terrorist.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts
eh.. another case of school officials not being allowed to think...
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

"After the explosion Wilmot was taken into custody by a school resources officer and charged with possession/discharge of a weapon on school grounds and discharging a destructive device.She will be tried as an adult."

:evil:

No, simply no. This is bull***** of the highest caliber. Charging a young woman like a terrorist over an incorrect mix of chemicals is disgustingly wrong of the school.

What she did was stupid, but was only an accedent that harmed no one, and should be treated as such.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6849 Posts

This is insane, but not surprising coming from Florida. And I live in Florida.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

that is just crazy.

The girl should not be punished for a mistake.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

If she was a blonde haired and blue eyed girl do you really think she would be treated the same way?.....

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thebest31406

I'd claim racism in my defense just to get a kick out of it. I bet the charges would be dropped in an instant.

Masculus

I wouldn't count on it. It they were dropped, it would only be due to a massive public backlash. I don't expect the State of Florida to do the right thing on its own.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic

If she was a blonde haired and blue eyed girl do you really think she would be treated the same way?.....

l34052
Schools have zero tolerance. Period. Don't be racist about it.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Masculus"]

thebest31406

I wouldn't count on it. It they were dropped, it would only be due to a massive public backlash. I don't expect the State of Florida to do the right thing on its own.

Would you be okay with her "experiment" if someone had gotten hurt?
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thebest31406
[QUOTE="thebest31406"]

[QUOTE="Masculus"]

LJS9502_basic

No, but that really isn't the issue.
Chicken453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chicken453
Member since 2011 • 2038 Posts
You guise over the sea are cray.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thebest31406
You guise over the sea are cray.Chicken453
You have no idea.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="thebest31406"] I wouldn't count on it. It they were dropped, it would only be due to a massive public backlash. I don't expect the State of Florida to do the right thing on its own.thebest31406

Why isn't it?
The_Sand_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Sand_Man
Member since 2008 • 6788 Posts

I don't buy the whole "science experiment" bull. Really? People think this girl was conducting a science experiment  at 7 A.M in the morning, probably before classes even started? Let alone mixing chemicals in a water bottle? Seems to me like she knew exactly what she was doing . . 

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts
LMAO, Florida, LMAO.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thebest31406
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Would you be okay with her "experiment" if someone had gotten hurt?

Why isn't it?

What does being "okay" with something have to do with a felonious act? I don't see how they're related.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

"Riptide spoke to the Polk County School District about why they felt expulsion was a fair punishment for Wilmot. Their response: kids should learn that '"here are consequences to their actions.'"

Yes there are consequences for your action but this doesn't mean harsh punishments such as being charged and convicted with felonies and expulsion for situations like this because punishments like that usually have an opposite effect. People who support these ridiculous rules and regulations should face these types of consequences then come back saying they support them.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thebest31406

"Riptide spoke to the Polk County School District about why they felt expulsion was a fair punishment for Wilmot. Their response: kids should learn that '"here are consequences to their actions.'"

Yes there are consequences for your action but this doesn't mean harsh punishments such as being charged and convicted with felonies and expulsion for situations like this because punishments like that usually have an opposite effect. People who support these ridiculous rules and regulations should face these types of consequences then come back saying they support them.

leviathan91
Right. Abide by the same moral standard you expect from others.
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

I don't buy the whole "science experiment" bull. Really? People think this girl was conducting a science experiment  at 7 A.M in the morning, probably before classes even started? Let alone mixing chemicals in a water bottle? Seems to me like she knew exactly what she was doing . . 

The_Sand_Man

Thinking about this in a regular human sense does put the things you pointed out into perspective. You really have to look at the situation to actually see why the school reacted this way.

My high school only started allowing kids to come in to get breakfast at around 7 A.M. Idk when her school opens, or when her classes start, but this was definitely very early. I don't even think our classrooms were unlocked at around this time.

If they are "common household" items, then why didn't she just get some from her local common household items store, and do it at home, rather than at school?

Doing it with a water bottle could imply that she was trying to transport her explosive device.

If she is 100% innocent, then she should have had enough common sense to know that around this time in the U.S., playing with explosives is gunna label you as public enemy #1

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Land of Freedom

call_of_duty_10
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thebest31406

[QUOTE="The_Sand_Man"]

jesuschristmonk

Thinking about this in a regular human sense does put the things you pointed out into perspective. You really have to look at the situation to actually see why the school reacted this way.

My high school only started allowing kids to come in to get breakfast at around 7 A.M. Idk when her school opens, or when her classes start, but this was definitely very early. I don't even think our classrooms were unlocked at around this time.

If they are "common household" items, then why didn't she just get some from her local common household items store, and do it at home, rather than at school?

Doing it with a water bottle could imply that she was trying to transport her explosive device.

If she is 100% innocent, then she should have had enough common sense to know that around this time in the U.S., playing with explosives is gunna label you as public enemy #1

You're in highschool so I'll excuse the ignorance, for I don't believe in zero tolerance.

jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jesuschristmonk
[QUOTE="thebest31406"] What are you implying?

That if you really think about it (mostly to the people seeing this as a silly situation), the school's actions were, I guess, justified. If the ingredients she used were the exact ingredients of a drano bomb, as they pointed out, then she knew was she was doing. We may not know what her purpose was, but with everything going on with bombings in the U.S., schools and other related institutions aren't going to put this off as "a little science experiment." She really screwed her life up with this. Should've just did this at her house...
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jesuschristmonk

[QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"]

[QUOTE="The_Sand_Man"]

thebest31406

You're in highschool so I'll excuse the ignorance, for I don't believe in zero tolerance.

I'm actually 2 weeks from the end of my second year of technical college. I'm under a scholarship program where I get 3 years tuition *free* at a tech college (or w/e) for doing well in high school, but I had to go to the college literally RIGHT after high school. I think it's something only Delaware does. I don't feel like looking it up right now.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thebest31406
[QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"][QUOTE="thebest31406"] What are you implying?

That if you really think about it (mostly to the people seeing this as a silly situation), the school's actions were, I guess, justified. If the ingredients she used were the exact ingredients of a drano bomb, as they pointed out, then she knew was she was doing. We may not know what her purpose was, but with everything going on with bombings in the U.S., schools and other related institutions aren't going to put this off as "a little science experiment." She really screwed her life up with this. Should've just did this at her house...

As you've admitted, we don't know her intentions. They haven't establish intent, therefore they haven't established justification. And to justify it based on "everything that's going on" is ridiculous.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Their response: kids should learn that "there are consequences to their actions."Article
Yeah, expulsion will teach her a valuable lesson for popping the top off a 2L bottle.
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jesuschristmonk
[QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"][QUOTE="thebest31406"] What are you implying?

As you've admitted, we don't know her intentions. They haven't establish intent, therefore they haven't established justification. And to justify it based on "everything that's going on" is ridiculous.

Yah. I do think this should be looked at further before anything truly serious happens to her, in case this was all just "a little science experiment."
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jesuschristmonk
[QUOTE="Article"]Their response: kids should learn that "there are consequences to their actions."General_X
Yeah, expulsion will teach her a valuable lesson for popping the top off a 2L bottle.

Can't imagine what would happen if she did the diet Coke and Mentos trick in school lol.
dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Florida never disappoints.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

stupid.  My friends and I used to make those.

After reading how to make them in the Anarchist's Cookbook lol

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Wow... she got expelled for doing what I once did under a teacher's supervision in elementary school. It makes you wonder if she would have gotten the same response if she had twisted a water bottle until the air pressure shot the cap off.

This is overreacting to a very high degree. A detention I can understand, maybe a few days suspension if your'e really starting to push it, but expulsion, juvenile assessment, and being tried as an adult for this? All I can really say is wow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

It's good to know that simple chemical experiments like this that don't cause damage or injury are worth a felony. I hold a demonstration show for kids every year and we do similar things in a safe way.

If she had only told one of her teachers that she was running this "experiment" there would be no problem. 

*sigh*

More bad press for chemistry.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#48 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Ah, chemistry class.

All the eyesight-damaging pranks you could pull off with a little magnesium ribbon and imagination.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Ah, chemistry class.

All the eyesight-damaging pranks you could pull off with a little magnesium ribbon and imagination.

THE_DRUGGIE

Mg and dry ice. Lots of fun.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#50 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

Ah, chemistry class.

jimkabrhel

Mg and dry ice. Lots of fun.

I honestly regret not majoring in Chemistry in college, it's way too much fun to be legal.