Five year old girl may face murder charges for drowning toddler

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Story.

According to the story, the girl was irritated when the toddler wouldn't stop crying, so she held him under water until he stopped.

Wonder what the final outcome of this will be.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 JediXMan
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

It was the parent's fault for leaving a baby with another baby.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Maybe I watch too much TV. But I think that children that perform actions like this are evil to the core. I'm not saying its a no hope case. But I think that someones personality in later life is highly similar to that when they are defined in law to not be responsible for their own actions.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

JediXMan7
a 5 year old isn't a "baby" a toddler isn't a "baby"
CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CaveJohnson1
Member since 2011 • 1714 Posts

How is that kid so stupid?

When I was 5 I knew not to hold babies under water, gez.

HexedPelican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HexedPelican
Member since 2011 • 590 Posts
The parents are the main ones to blame in this case, the girl just needs to get some serious help.
Sunfyre7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sunfyre7896
Member since 2011 • 1644 Posts

I've heard of 8 years olds getting life in prison where they would be in juvey until they are 18 and then go to prison. In this case, I'm not sure you can do that as the child is 5. It's not that they're too young just because of a number, but that is a 5 year old's mind fully developed? No. Do they know all right from wrong? No. Whether they thought that this would quiet the child or they were indeed just aggravated and decided to do that is somewhat natural, just not on that level. It's not unusual for a child to be jealous of a newborn as it is now taking away from they're attention and there is a jealousy. I would recommend counciling and maybe some time in a facility as punishment, but to end the child's life by sending it away to juvey and then to prison when it fully wasn't aware of what it was doing in terms of consequences and other aspects is just crazy.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nibroc420
The parents are the main ones to blame in this case, the girl just needs to get some serious help.HexedPelican
The girl drowned a toddler on purpose. Give her the chair.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JediXMan

[QUOTE="JediXMan7"]

Nibroc420

Close enough. The 5 year old doesn't know any better and should be not responsible for a toddler. Still the fault of the parents.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
Realization that some children are born evil! Children of the Corn in the 80's tried to warn us but we just did not listen. In all seriousness, I read on some of the comments that the 16 year old baby sitter, left by the parents, had developmental disabilities? Well isn't this a funky situation. Do you charge the 5 year old demon girl, the 16 year old with developmental disabilities, or the parents who put the latter there? I say all of them but I lean towards both the parents and to a lesser degree the 16 year old.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JediXMan

Realization that some children are born evil! Children of the Corn in the 80's tried to warn us but we just did not listen. In all seriousness, I read on some of the comments that the 16 year old baby sitter, left by the parents, had developmental disabilities? Well isn't this a funky situation. Do you charge the 5 year old demon girl, the 16 year old with developmental disabilities, or the parents who put the latter there? I say all of them but I lean towards both the parents and to a lesser degree the 16 year old.CreasianDevaili

In order of blame:

Parents > Babysitter > 5 year old.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="JediXMan7"]

JediXMan7

Close enough. The 5 year old doesn't know any better and should be not responsible for a toddler. Still the fault of the parents.

If the 5 year old was a complete idiot, the parents shouldn't have left her alone to watch the toddler. However, she killed the toddler ON PURPOSE. That's murder, convict her to the full extent of the law.
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CreasianDevaili

[QUOTE="JediXMan7"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] a 5 year old isn't a "baby" a toddler isn't a "baby"Nibroc420

If the 5 year old was a complete idiot, the parents shouldn't have left her alone to watch the toddler. However, she killed the toddler ON PURPOSE. That's murder, convict her to the full extent of the law.

They didn't leave her alone. They left her with a baby sitter with disabilities. Who fell asleep after giving the little ones a bath, but left the bathtub full before getting some Z's.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20070536-504083.html

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="JediXMan7"]

CreasianDevaili

They didn't leave her alone. They left her with a baby sitter with disabilities. Who fell asleep after giving the little ones a bath, but left the bathtub full before getting some Z's. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20070536-504083.html

Does it Matter? The 5 year old took his/her sibling, put them into the bathtub, and drowned them, intentionally.

That is murder.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CreasianDevaili

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] If the 5 year old was a complete idiot, the parents shouldn't have left her alone to watch the toddler. However, she killed the toddler ON PURPOSE. That's murder, convict her to the full extent of the law.Nibroc420

They didn't leave her alone. They left her with a baby sitter with disabilities. Who fell asleep after giving the little ones a bath, but left the bathtub full before getting some Z's. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20070536-504083.html

Does it Matter? The 5 year old took his/her sibling, put them into the bathtub, and drowned them, intentionally.

That is murder.

Lets shut you down quickly. Children, or rather a toddler by the better word in this case, can watch actions on tv such as drowning or murder and see the act as a simplified action. What is required for this to be what we consider murder, is for the 5 year old to understand in coherant terms, the concept of DEATH itself.
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

For such a morbid story, it's rather amazing that the worst part of the page are the comments on the article

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] If the 5 year old was a complete idiot, the parents shouldn't have left her alone to watch the toddler. However, she killed the toddler ON PURPOSE. That's murder, convict her to the full extent of the law.Nibroc420

That is murder.

that's a little black and white. I don't even think most five year olds are even aware of the concept of death, let alone murder.

You really think this give year old thought "I want to kill my infant sibling, so I will drown him" and then proceeded to do so?

More likely the five year old got irrated with the constant crying, remembered "Hey, I cant talk underwater, maybe that will shut him up" and then did it to shut the infant up.

This was a horrible accident, that is all

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] They didn't leave her alone. They left her with a baby sitter with disabilities. Who fell asleep after giving the little ones a bath, but left the bathtub full before getting some Z's. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20070536-504083.htmlCreasianDevaili

That is murder.

Lets shut you down quickly. Children, or rather a toddler by the better word in this case, can watch actions on tv such as drowning or murder and see the act as a simplified action. What is required for this to be what we consider murder, is for the 5 year old to understand in coherant terms, the concept of DEATH itself.

So you're saying this girl drowned a toddler, and felt nothing? And that makes her exempt from the law? :| So.. Killers who feel nothing, should pay no price?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Does it Matter? The 5 year old took his/her sibling, put them into the bathtub, and drowned them, intentionally.

That is murder.

Nibroc420

So you're saying this girl drowned a toddler, and felt nothing? And that makes her exempt from the law? :| So.. Killers who feel nothing, should pay no price?

this is manslaughter, not murder.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] Lets shut you down quickly. Children, or rather a toddler by the better word in this case, can watch actions on tv such as drowning or murder and see the act as a simplified action. What is required for this to be what we consider murder, is for the 5 year old to understand in coherant terms, the concept of DEATH itself.mrbojangles25

It was intentional. That's murder.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

For such a morbid story, it's rather amazing that the worst part of the page are the comments on the article

T_P_O

The people who comment on news stories posted by Yahoo are usually affected by a bad case of "keyboard courage" when typing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Does it Matter? The 5 year old took his/her sibling, put them into the bathtub, and drowned them, intentionally.

That is murder.

Nibroc420

She's rather young to understand the consequences of death.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] Lets shut you down quickly. Children, or rather a toddler by the better word in this case, can watch actions on tv such as drowning or murder and see the act as a simplified action. What is required for this to be what we consider murder, is for the 5 year old to understand in coherant terms, the concept of DEATH itself.LJS9502_basic

Last i heard, ignorance isn't a defence.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] So you're saying this girl drowned a toddler, and felt nothing? And that makes her exempt from the law? :| So.. Killers who feel nothing, should pay no price?Nibroc420

And yet the court takes understanding consequences into consideration.;)
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CreasianDevaili

That is murder.

Nibroc420

I know at times I say strange stuff here, and say simple things with too many words attached. However I have no idea where you obtained "felt nothing" with "understand the coherant meaning of Death".

Most 5 year olds do not even know that they have a vagina or a penis by the terms themselves. Do you not grasp that they might not understand the complexity of our physical limitations and damage thresholds, which can result in termination of our unique existence?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] So you're saying this girl drowned a toddler, and felt nothing? And that makes her exempt from the law? :| So.. Killers who feel nothing, should pay no price?Nibroc420

I do not think it was intentional, and the legal system will prove this to be the case. If we start convicting 5 year olds of murder, sending them to juvi for 13 years, then putting them on death row...I feel sorry for my country.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]She's rather young to understand the consequences of death.

LJS9502_basic

It shouldn't. She commited a crime, she murdered someone. Doing nothing would only teach her that she's not responsible for her actions.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
It was the parent's fault for leaving a baby with another baby.JediXMan7
"but the 16-year-old girl who was supposed to be looking after them fell asleep" I blame the baby-sitter.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Last i heard, ignorance isn't a defence.Nibroc420

It shouldn't. She commited a crime, she murdered someone. Doing nothing would only teach her that she's not responsible for her actions.

And losing a sibling is not a consequence? She has to live with that every day for the rest of her life.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]And yet the court takes understanding consequences into consideration.;)LJS9502_basic

And losing a sibling is not a consequence? She has to live with that every day for the rest of her life.

Clearly she didn't care about that when she dragged her sibling to the bathtub and held him/her underwater.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Last i heard, ignorance isn't a defence.Nibroc420

she caused the death of someone, she did not murder anyone. The courts know the difference, take extenuating circumstances/education/socioeconomic level/etc into concern.

Why cant you? What is motivating you to condemn a 5 year old to life in prison or death? Definitely not justice...

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CreasianDevaili
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

I do not think it was intentional, and the legal system will prove this to be the case. If we start convicting 5 year olds of murder, sending them to juvi for 13 years, then putting them on death row...I feel sorry for my country.

If we convict 5 year olds of murder period, then we need to remove the the juvi system itself as well.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] It shouldn't. She commited a crime, she murdered someone. Doing nothing would only teach her that she's not responsible for her actions.

Nibroc420

Clearly she didn't care about that when she dragged her sibling to the bathtub and held him/her underwater.

Or she didn't know the outcome would be death. She IS only 5.:|

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]And yet the court takes understanding consequences into consideration.;)mrbojangles25

she caused the death of someone, she did not murder anyone. The courts know the difference, take extenuating circumstances/education/socioeconomic level/etc into concern.

Why cant you? What is motivating you to condemn a 5 year old to life in prison or death? Definitely not justice...

mur·der/ˈmərdər/Noun: The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

A five-year-old girl dragged a toddler to a bathtub and drowned him because he made too much noise and cried too much, according to police.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] It shouldn't. She commited a crime, she murdered someone. Doing nothing would only teach her that she's not responsible for her actions.

Nibroc420

do you have any brothers or sisters? If you do, then you should know how crazy they can drive you, but no matter how much harm you want to cause them, you never want them to die.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] And losing a sibling is not a consequence? She has to live with that every day for the rest of her life.mrbojangles25

do you have any brothers or sisters? If you do, then you should know how crazy they can drive you, but no matter how much harm you want to cause them, you never want them to die.

Why would i want to harm my own siblings? What kind of crazy person would hurt their own family? or even think about it? :|
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

That's awful. Obviously a 5 yr old is too young to really understand those actions.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Nibroc420

That's awful. Obviously a 5 yr old is too young to really understand those actions.

sonicare
Ignorance doesn't exempt you from the law.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] It shouldn't. She commited a crime, she murdered someone. Doing nothing would only teach her that she's not responsible for her actions.

Nibroc420

mur·der/ˈmərdər/Noun: The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

A five-year-old girl dragged a toddler to a bathtub and drowned him because he made too much noise and cried too much, according to police.

that article is making the assumption she actually wanted to drown the baby. Guilty until proven innocent in this example, unfortunately. Go go justice system!

*did you just get done watching "The Orphan" or something? Kids arent evil

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

mrbojangles25

that article is making the assumption she actually wanted to drown the baby. Guilty until proven innocent in this example, unfortunately. Go go justice system!

Hahaha "I shot my friend in the head, i thought it would give him a cool piercing!" :roll:
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Nibroc420

Hahaha "I shot my friend in the head, i thought it would give him a cool piercing!" :roll:

There's a difference between yourself and a 5 year old in regard to understanding consequences.:roll:

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CreasianDevaili
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

*did you just get done watching "The Orphan" or something? Kids arent evil

I still contend that some kids are indeed evil.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Nibroc420

jesus h christ dude, you are really failing to see it from any point of view other than your own...

if youre shooting a gun, chances are you know what harm it can do (unless youre some 5 year old that found daddy's loaded pistol), and as a result if you shoot someone "to give them a peircing", you know what will happen. Person A knows Object X will kill Person B, but Person A does it anyway...that is a crime.

How is your example remotely similiar to the topic? One is done out of ignorance and idiocy, the other done out of naivety and a lack of comprehension of what death is.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nibroc420

How is your example remotely similiar to the topic? One is done out of ignorance and idiocy, the other done out of naivety and a lack of comprehension of what death is.

mrbojangles25

Ignorance and idiocy, VS Naivety and lack of Comprehenension.

Nice word choice :lol:

Ignorance = to not know/understand.

Lack of comprehenstion = to not understand.

Idiots are also naive ;)

nice try though.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18253 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Nibroc420

Idiots are also naive ;)

nice try though.

My 5 year old nice told her mom the other day that she was a mean mom and that she never wanted to see her anymore, i gues that under your logic in a few days she will go to a lawyer for emancipation right.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nibroc420

My 5 year old nice told her mom the other day that she was a mean mom and that she never wanted to see her anymore, i gues that under your logic in a few days she will go to a lawyer for emancipation right.

madsnakehhh

Because people say things at times that they might not mean? People say things in the heat of the moment, it's killing someone in the heat of the moment that isn't allowed :|

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Nibroc420

Idiots are also naive ;)

nice try though.

ignorance and naivety are similiar, but not the same: ignorance is willfully disregarding/not accepting something, naivety is not knowing something because you havent been exposed to it. Is your connotation of ignorance and naivety honestly the same? That would be sad...

idiocy is not being able to learn something despite being given the opportunity to do so, lack of comprehension is lacking the ability to learn or not being given the chance to

ignorance and idiocy are the characteristics of guilt; they are entirely under the persons control.

naivety and lack of comprehension are characteristics of innocence or extenuating circumstances; they are not under an individuals control.

The 5 year old in my opinion is of the latter.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#48 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Last i heard, ignorance isn't a defence.Nibroc420

It isn't that simple. Ignorance that something is against the law is generally not an excuse in court. However, an inability to really understand the law, or to understand the natural consequences of an action, is taken into account.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18253 Posts

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]My 5 year old nice told her mom the other day that she was a mean mom and that she never wanted to see her anymore, i gues that under your logic in a few days she will go to a lawyer for emancipation right.

Nibroc420

Because people say things at times that they might not mean? People say things in the heat of the moment, it's killing someone in the heat of the moment that isn't allowed :|

So, it's ok for a 5 year old to not understand a word, but she has to understand the term or consequences of deprivation of life?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]My 5 year old nice told her mom the other day that she was a mean mom and that she never wanted to see her anymore, i gues that under your logic in a few days she will go to a lawyer for emancipation right.

madsnakehhh

So, it's ok for a 5 year old to not understand a word, but she has to understand the term or consequences of deprivation of life?

Not understand a word? wow. When 2 people are mad at each other (for whatever reason) they may say things they do not mean. However, it is when one of these persons attacks/murders another, that they have taken it too far. If your 5 year old niece got mad at her mom and killed her so she would "never see her anymore" she should be convicted of murder. If the 5 year old in this news article told her bro/sis that she "never wanted to see him anymore" nothing would have gone wrong.