Do you guys read ebooks?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ailwuful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ailwuful
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Where do you usually look for ebooks to read?

On what device do you usually read it?

Can you say any indie books you really enjoyed?

Guys, give me a hand here, I published a book and I could use some information on people's preferences and stuff. I think my book has its downs and ups, there are some great stuff in it, but it might not hold the same quality throughout the whole read. There is plenty I can improve, but like I said I could really use some information or feedback. I believe despite it's flaws it's an interesting and engaging read.

If anyone would be kind enough to give it a chance, it's temporarily free and you can download in any format at Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/382782

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Nope.

Never read a single book in my entire life.I find them boring.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Never read an ebook. I always preferred physical ones, love the smell and feel.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I had to stop reading for pleasure...it has a seriously negative impact on my sleep. I'll start reading in bed and before I know it, it's 1 am, I'm wide awake, and I don't want to put the damned book down! But I digress...

On topic, I agree with johnd13, I would much rather read an actual book to an eBook.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

No, not on a regular basis, I prefer reading printed material for both work and pleasure. I have found that comics work rather well on a tablet though

donmuath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 donmuath
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

Yeah i started reading ebooks on my smartphone as early as 4 or 5 years ago, i like a physical book as much as the next guy but you just can't beat the convenience of ebooks.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Not unless it is a book to teach me something, but I have been trying to change that. I am about to start reading "The White War". I just finished reading "The Art of Shaving". Was very educational. I just for into DE wet shaving and it taught me a few things.

Oh Ebooks...yes, I am reading "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea". I have a ton of Ebooks on my phone.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I prefer paper.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

I had to stop reading for pleasure...it has a seriously negative impact on my sleep. I'll start reading in bed and before I know it, it's 1 am, I'm wide awake, and I don't want to put the damned book down! But I digress...

On topic, I agree with johnd13, I would much rather read an actual book to an eBook.

Yeah I've never understood how people can fall asleep reading. Or sitting up, for that matter.

As for the topic, no I don't read E-books. Two reasons:

1. I like the feel of a book in my hand, and as the pile of pages moves from one side to the other I feel like I'm physically progressing, and I can tell roughly how much further I have to go.

2. Library. I don't buy books because I read so damn fast. A 400-page novel is an afternoon, nothing more. No way I'm dropping the cash on that when Steam is a thing.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Do comic/graphic novels count?

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

since i got my kindle 2 years ago i only buy digital copies of books. saves up space and stop hand cramping from holding a book for too long.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

I usually read print books because I love used book shops. Something about finding a diamond in the rough, I guess.

I've started reading some e-books, though, because I wanted to read a bunch of classics in the public domain. I picked up a Nook (which supports open formats) and away I went.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

Nope.

Never read a single book in my entire life.I find them boring.

Well then, I guess Zakera Café isn't your favorite store on the Citadel.

Yeah, read a lot of e-books. I love the convienence of not having to carry books around, of being able to note and highlight without mussing up my book, of being able to jump from section to section with ease.

Nook and Play are my favorite apps, they each have things I like and things I don't (mostly related to interface). I hate Kindle's interface, only use it when the book's not available anywhere else. Can't say much about indie books, never really paid much attention to it. I don't read recreationally enough that I take chances on books I don't know if I'll like, I usually just get things that have been recommended to me or catch my eye, and that usually means I don't do a lot of fiction.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I used to be one of those guys that always said they preferred paper books...but honestly, the Kindle Paperwhite is really quite excellent.

I've converted to e-books now, although I suppose reading them on a shiny screen like a phone or tablet wouldn't be anywhere near as good as reading it on the paper-esque display of my Kindle.

They're cheaper then physical books, they're vastly more convenient (I no longer have to lug around 1000-page novels on trains), and the adjustable backlight means that I can read it pretty much anywhere. Not being able to turn pages is a reasonable price to pay for all that.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

Yup, I have a ton of books on my Kindle.. Now I just need to get motivated :P

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

I only read Ebooks nowdays. Its way more confortable to hold my phone with one hand, I dont have to worry about having the lights on in my bedroom when girlfriend is sleeping and always being there in my pocket are my reasons.

The great thing is also that here in Sweden we can borrow ebooks for free from the library and I dont even have to get to the library :).

Im currently reading some Swedish authors (I recomend Let the right one in, its really good) and my next to read book is Inferno by Dan Brown.

But when Im spending money on a actual book I rather get the real deal.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I almost exclusively read ebooks given the unavailability of books around here. Fact is, even if books were available I wouldn't have been able to afford them anyway so yea ebooks saved my life.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GazaAli

@solidruss said:

Here's your motivation: You have a decent ebooks' reader and the ability to buy whatever ebook you may fancy. On the other hand, I bust my ass trying to find a book I desire in decent ebook format and I read it on a 3.8" screen that gives me headaches and eye strains.

Now get to reading :P

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

No. Every few months I make a physical order from Amazon. I'm actually quite proud of my book collection, it reflects both taste and class.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@solidruss said:

Here's your motivation: You have a decent ebooks' reader and the ability to buy whatever ebook you may fancy. On the other hand, I bust my ass trying to find a book I desire in decent ebook format and I read it on a 3.8" screen that gives me headaches and eye strains.

Now get to reading :P

Well damn... touche you win :P

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I get my ebooks from my library. I read them on my tablet(android). Can't say I have read any indie authors.

I would suggest looking into the demographics of the medium. How many e-readers sold, how many tablets/smartphones used to read etc. In the digital age we live in, I would guess the vast majority of readers still use paper. I like both, if I can't find a copy in one format, I'm sure I'll find it the other.

Who edited your work?

Ailwuful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ailwuful

As far as I know, physical books are still vastly more popular, but the ebook commerce is steadly increasing every year.

But there are SO MANY PEOPLE publishing ebooks, it's really hard to get your stuff viewed. I think it needs to start with a few adventurers and then if those guys like it, they recommend to other people and so forth.

And I edited my work. Can't really afford someone else to do it. But after re-reviewing it there were still mistakes to correct -_-

Nonetheless, I very much believe it's worth people's time, it has some pretty interesting stuff in it.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

I prefer real books, so no. At least not when I can avoid them.. For example when A Dance With Dragons came out I couldn't wait for the book to get here and I read the e-book.

However comics aren't available here at all, so I just read them on my PC.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26  Edited By destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

I own a Kindle, had it for over a year, haven't read a single e-book. I just prefer having hardcopies, it's more fun.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

I prefer hard copies, but I have gotten a couple of e-books for school just because they are cheaper(currently have 3 e-books for college I'm using right now). Biggest problem with e-books is you have to have a computer around to read it, and another thing that sucks about them at least for me is the fact that I don't own a laptop.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GazaAli

@t1striker said:

I prefer hard copies, but I have gotten a couple of e-books for school just because they are cheaper(currently have 3 e-books for college I'm using right now). Biggest problem with e-books is you have to have a computer around to read it, and another thing that sucks about them at least for me is the fact that I don't own a laptop.

Even if you had a laptop, it wouldn't have helped a lot. I think that portability is essential when it comes to ebooks. A laptop is still big to carry around in order to read a book on it, too restrictive. Smartphones and tablets are the real platforms to use for reading ebooks. Scientific books can only be effectively read using a tablet, smartphones can only suffice when simply reading pure text.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@t1striker said:

Even if you had a laptop, it wouldn't have helped a lot. I think that portability is essential when it comes to ebooks. A laptop is still big to carry around in order to read a book on it, too restrictive. Smartphones and tablets are the real platforms to use for reading ebooks. Scientific books can only be effectively read using a tablet, smartphones can only suffice when simply reading pure text.

I've tried it on my phone, and found it terrible(Samsung Stellar), but I get what your saying about a tablet working well for e-books(the whole point of Amazon's Kindle). Still a hard copy of the book would be significantly better imo.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 theone86

@Storm_Marine said:

No. Every few months I make a physical order from Amazon. I'm actually quite proud of my book collection, it reflects both taste and class.

So do you lend your books to someone with taste and class?

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@theone86 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Ha, ha, ha. Ha, ha, ha.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 theone86
@Storm_Marine said:

@theone86 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Ha, ha, ha. Ha, ha, ha.

I'll be here all week.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If you mean electronic copies of books on say, XML or MySQL/PHP, then sure.

theycallmeRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 theycallmeRP
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts

I read about 1-3 books a month on my kindle. I also use the Kindle app on my phone on my lunch break or slow days at work.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

eh, no.

Ailwuful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ailwuful

@jun_aka_pekto said:

what? O_o

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@ailwuful said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

what? O_o

Why not? Some of those text books can be 4" thick. Better to use electronic copies of them and view from the laptop. Leave the hard copy at home.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

No thanks, I rather read an actual book then using a tablet and besides I don't own one anyway nor am I in a rush to get one either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#39 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

I'm exactly the same as you; no matter how early I go to bed I end up reading until 3am and have 4 hours sleep...that is also the reason why I started reading ebooks; I much prefer the real deal, the smell, the feel, but with me not being able to stop reading I'd read about 4-5 books a week and I can't stand giving books away...after a while I ran out of space and had to switch to digital; now I only buy the really good books.

Ailwuful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ailwuful

I'm impressed how some people really devour books quickly.

I plan on writing another book that I will really insist on others to read, by how worth it it should be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

No.

Avatar image for msdefibrillator
MsDefibrillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MsDefibrillator

I've dabbled in the reading of e-books for shits and giggles. But, i enjoy a book i can hold, turn the page and smell the pages.Specially the old books are by far my favorites.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

At school I get ebooks from home because it's easier than dealing with the library here. I think ebooks are pretty convenient, I can read them on my laptop and phone at any time. However I prefer a physical book if I can get one.

I rarely purchase books, only if the library wait is way too long, or if I have a gift certificate.

Ailwuful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ailwuful

I'm making my book free if anyone would give it a chance, I'm in need of opinions and comments about it. If anyone does check it out, thank you.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Generally these days I'll start with an eBook and around halfway through I'll buy a hard copy if I'm enjoying it and read the rest that way.

Ailwuful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ailwuful

I got a question for readers. If you're looking for something to read, but you don't know what is good, what do you do? Do you usually just go with friend's recommendations? Is there some website that you look for high rated books or something?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Nope, I'll won't ever read ebooks unless they stop printing paperbacks.

Avatar image for cynical_buzzard
Cynical_Buzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Cynical_Buzzard
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

I prefer the physical form of a book over a e-book form.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

yup all the books that i read now are ebooks. I might get a physical copy if I really really enjoy the title - like Harry Potter. If there are new ones coming I will buy the hardcopy.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Yes, all of the books I'm reading now are eBooks. I'm done with physical media, it's so much more convenient to have digital media.

I especially read a lot when I'm on holiday, but to stuff 4 or 5 books into your suitcase, that's a hassle and a lot of weight. Now I only need to bring my iPad mini, it has everything I need on it.