do you believe in the number "zero?"

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

Numbers are impossible. How can 2 exist after 1 if there are an infinite number of decimal values in between. It's all a fabrication created by scientists to shift funding away from the humanities. They would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for me.

considering that they've been around for a few thousand years, I'd say they got away with it a long time ago :P

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@Sword-Demon said:

@theone86 said:

@4myAmuzumament said:

As you know, nothing literally does not exist. Not in any form. simply because something exists and nothing doesn't exist.

Can zero really be classified as a number when it isn't a real thing?

discuss

How do you know nothing doesn't exist? If it existed could you perceive it? Furthermore, would existing be the right word for it? Wouldn't the right phrase possibly be that nothing non-exists?

If it existed, then it wouldn't be nothing

So then by saying it doesn't exist, aren't you saying that it does? Perhaps I should rephrase this from saying that nothing exists to saying that nothing is real.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

@SolidSnake35:The deepest answer perhaps, it's all relative to what you're dealing with. Coming from /Solid/Snake35, that title implies a whole-fraction; which in turn implies a complete set of a number/thing. ...a solid-number. Yet nothing, no-thing, is still a valid measurement.

More-so a starting block....timing, music, speed, binary=off type stuff. Mentally, there may even be a weight to zero, even if in terms of /wait/ in anticipation...a band starts on the downbeat, yet waits for the upbeat to initiate. Zero may as well equal infinity, in terms of chance/possibility or, the other-side with (death-like) conclusion.

This comment may have zero merit...I don't know anymore...yet here it is. Zero is not particularity a number for mathematics, but a space...or lack there of...or an action/result. 1's and 0's.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Considering numbers is an invention mankind as made as a messurable unit throughout history, then the number zero is part of the same messurable unit and therefor exist.

However since numbers is something mankind has made up as a messurable unit for things that do exist, it therefor does not exist in the same manner as a plant or even heat which would then mean that not only zero but also all numbers do not exist. The same can therefor also be said about Letters as they are symbols we have created to convey our language beyond simply our voice.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I do believe in it. For example I believe you have zero substance.