Do you actually fear death?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58955 Posts

For me the idea of the pain and heightened stress before death e.g. struggling to breath as you drown scares me. However the concept of being dead does not. I think it's basically like a light switch going off.

Whats your thoughts on this? Does death scare you?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Sometimes I do, sometimes I just wish it would come swiftly. Sometimes I think about how incredible and how many sacrifices my mom has done for me, and how I feel that I'm just wasting away and I get really depressed; to think my family might go before I succeed or to see me fail altogether. Sometimes I wish I just went to sleep one night and never woke again.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts
@Master_Live said:

Sometimes I do, sometimes I just wish it would come swiftly. Sometimes I think about how incredible and how many sacrifices my mom has done for me, and how I feel that I'm just wasting away and I get really depressed; to think my family might go before I succeed or to see me fail altogether. Sometimes I wish I just went to sleep one night and never woke again.

Jesus.

Success is over rated dude. Focus on the little things.

Go to a bar alone and drink a shit tonne of whisky and listen to some rock and roll until an awkwardly attractive girl gives you the eye. Then do what you do. Always cheered me up a treat. Might not make your momma proud tho!

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Yes.. I'm scared but I know I will be gone one day.. never wanna see that day.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I guess I am, yes. Mostly I'm afraid of the cause and the suffering it could bring. For example, having a heart disease or cancer.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

I got only this to say ; I'd rather die like an honorable man than live as a worthless piece of scum.

Plus Master Live's last line : Sometimes I just wish I fell asleep, never to wake up to this damn life again.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. I don't fear death but I respect it.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I fear the way in which I might die, but like you, the idea of death itself, of being dead… I don't fear that much. Especially once I moved past my childhood religious brainwashing. I used to be terrified of eternity, and not hell so much. I was terrified of heaven as the only alternative to hell. Hell sounded awful, heaven sounded almost as bad. Boring and meaningless, spending eternity as a mindless drone with no free will robotically worshipping god for all time with no end. It's practically hell without the flames.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

I stress more about how I will die, but I have come to peace with the idea of death. Plus I wouldn't want to live forever anyways.

The_Mancunian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Mancunian
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Well, no, not at all. I'm not religious so I don't believe we go to some magical place when we're dead, I believe 'that's it' and we just cease to exist (exactly what it was like before we were born). Despite this, I'm fine with it and intend to just make the most of my life whilst I'm alive. I might fear the method in which I die (I hope its peaceful and quick!) but as for death itself, no way :)

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Most people who say they don't fear death have never faced it, so of course it is easy for them to say that. They are still healthy and relatively young. But the day will come when this all changes. There is an old saying about foxholes and atheists. . .

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

@Qixote said:

Most people who say they don't fear death have never faced it, so of course it is easy for them to say that. They are still healthy and relatively young. But the day will come when this all changes. There is an old saying about foxholes and atheists. . .

One time an old professor asked our class if we feared death. Most of the class said no because we all die eventually and there is no point in being afraid and stuff like that. The professor then said "Well, that's because you all think you're going to live forever, you're all young and healthy and feel fine. But, one day it is going to hit you that you will die. And if that doesn't scare you, when you have children, the thought that one day they will be dead will horrify you."

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#14 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts

I do afraid of it. The thing is that we don't think about it most of the time.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'll welcome Mistress Death with open arms when she arrives.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I have a brain tumor that's recently changed grades to become more malignant. I've been dealing with this for over a decade. The tumor can be removed but ALWAYS returns probably due to chromosomal damage, but they really don't know. I'm having invasive surgery in about a month and there is a chance I will die on the operating table. I'm 34.

The average lifespan for a grade 3 oligodendroglioma is 3 years.

Anyone who says they don't fear death is either lying, insane, devoutly religious (even then I think most of them are deluding themselves), or extremely elderly (most people just want it to be over). It's one of our most primal fears that have been around since we were simple proto-humans. Most people if they were drowning with another person would push that person underwater to reach air because at that point they're no longer a reasoning individual but are acting solely on instinct.

For those who say they wouldn't fear it, wait until death is literally knocking on your door and then tell me you're ok with unlocking that door and embracing it. I guarantee most of you would panic, lock, and barricade that door. I have a brain tumor and know I would.

If I'm going I would want it to be on that operating table. No fear, no pain. But instead I will probably just slide into dementia due to fear of waking seizures and from having portions of my brain removed.

I think I will get my parents to buy me a PS4 after the surgery. When you're dying you can do shit like that.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Death is quite terrifying. The only thing good about it is that it only comes to you once. (That is if you go to heaven instead of hell of course). Now in my religion a good man should not fear dead but I keep thinking of all the opportunities that will be lost when I die. Besides I haven't been a committed person in the past three years so yeah I'm terrified.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

I am scared of death. Lately though, it seems like for me there's more dread toward the thought of getting old than death.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Only when my life is not at risk, I'm not afraid. I am a macho guy in those circumstances.

But whenever I am in car driven by my brother, those times I know I'm afraid of dying (lol).

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#20 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Death itself. No. But the manner of which I'm going to die in does.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

well, i'd be terrified if i thought i was about to die because, you know, i like living. however, i know that it's very unlikely to happen any time soon so i'm never scared of it.

like i'd be terrified if i were just walking down the street and a tiger jumped out in front of me. i'm just not constantly terrified at the prospect of tigers because i know that's very unlikely to happen.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

I'm interested in knowing what it feels like. In entertainment, we see characters always get that last sentence out before actually dying. I wonder what that feeling of knowing you aren't about be living anymore is or if it just kind of hits you and you're dead.

I think I'll embrace death when/if it happens.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Nope. i find solace in it actually.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#25  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

As a child (from around 3yo) I had to fall asleep with the thought that it might be my last night...with severe asthma I would go from sleeping to passed out without even waking up...my mother always arrived in time but I knew I might run out of luck at a point...

I remember once she locked me in the house by mistake when she went to work and I had a really bad asthma attack; couldn't breathe, tried calling my mother's work but wasn't able to speak so I just sat on the couch and thought "this is it"...it was very peaceful and there was no drama there (I was 4yo, that's probably why =P We also didn't have any inhalers or nebulizers back then). Woke up in the hospital because my mother guessed it was me on the phone since nobody talked and caught a cab home and found me passed out on the floor.

So yeah, growing up like that I'm not really afraid of dying. I'm not afraid of getting into a car crash, getting broken beyond repair and dying, but I'm scared to think I might get into a car crash, get broken beyond repair and NOT die. I'm not afraid of dying but I'm afraid of ending up as a quadriplegic...

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

@Boddicker said:

Anyone who says they don't fear death is either lying, insane, devoutly religious (even then I think most of them are deluding themselves), or extremely elderly (most people just want it to be over).

You forgot another category, those who have seen the other side and come back. Up to 2005, 95% of world cultures have been documented making some mention of near death experiences. Almost 3500 individual cases between 1975 and 2005 had been reviewed in one or another study.

Something I rarely mention to anyone is my own near death experience, I was kayaking in a quiet river when the kayak tipped over and I couldn't get it up (...he he!). Anyway long story short, I looked down on my kayak from above the river then saw a tunnel of light, felt warmth and a feeling of complete fulfilment. Then before I knew it I was clambering up the side of the bank still stuck inside the kayak, if it was just a hallucination like some claim then it's better than any illegal substance I've heard of. I thought if that's what dieing is like then I have nothing to worry about, I've only talked about that to a few close family members as I'm not interested in arguing about it with anyone.

Anyway best of luck for the upcoming surgery :)

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#27 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Death doesn't scare me. I'm more sort of curious of it. But I'm not in a rush to go yet.

danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts

The after-life(if there is one) scares the crap out of me. Death itself is nothing, unless I have to suffer extreme pain to get there. I'm not a bad person, and haven't harmed anyone physically since high school(bullies need some retaliation), but it's pretty much a fear of the unknown.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#29 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Mark Twain

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Physically being dead seems like it would be a relief, but the actual process of dying seems scary, especially if there is physical pain or psychological stress involved, which is the case for the vast majority of deaths.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I'll welcome Mistress Death with open arms when she arrives.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Yes it's scary. Maybe not so much after I finish my bucket list.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@mjf249 said:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Mark Twain

I don't like that saying although I do understand the point its trying to make.

I fear death at times somewhat as it's a frightening concept of ceasing to exist.The suffering pre death etc does not scare me as much as the end result of no longer existing.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I don't fear the concept of death or the process of dying. However, I may change my mind when I'm faced with the reality of it.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

not really, no

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@danten81 said:

The after-life(if there is one) scares the crap out of me. Death itself is nothing, unless I have to suffer extreme pain to get there. I'm not a bad person, and haven't harmed anyone physically since high school(bullies need some retaliation), but it's pretty much a fear of the unknown.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#37 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@Master_Live said:

You might want to get some help for that bro.....just sayin.

@Boddicker said:

I have a brain tumor that's recently changed grades to become more malignant. I've been dealing with this for over a decade. The tumor can be removed but ALWAYS returns probably due to chromosomal damage, but they really don't know. I'm having invasive surgery in about a month and there is a chance I will die on the operating table. I'm 34.

Anyone who says they don't fear death is either lying, insane, devoutly religious (even then I think most of them are deluding themselves), or extremely elderly (most people just want it to be over). It's one of our most primal fears that have been around since we were simple proto-humans. Most people if they were drowning with another person would push that person underwater to reach air because at that point they're no longer a reasoning individual but are acting solely on instinct.

For those who say they wouldn't fear it, wait until death is literally knocking on your door and then tell me you're ok with unlocking that door and embracing it. I guarantee most of you would panic, lock, and barricade that door. I have a brain tumor and know I would.

If I'm going I would want it to be on that operating table. No fear, no pain. But instead I will probably just slide into dementia due to fear of waking seizures and from having portions of my brain removed.

I think I will get my parents to buy me a PS4 after the surgery. When you're dying you can do shit like that.

That's some real shit bro, best of luck to you man. Too young for this shit.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Uh, yeah. Better them than me.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Yes. I like living.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I dont fear death. Im just curious to see what happens after you die.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Death scares me, not the pain though, but the thought of not living a more fulfilling life does.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@Master_Live said:

You might want to get some help for that bro.....just sayin.

@Boddicker said:

That's some real shit bro, best of luck to you man. Too young for this shit.

The crazy shit is I just graduated college as valedictorian of my class in November and moved back to my home state to learn about this shit. I figured it was going to remain a grade 2 forever and I was going to live another decade atleast. ****!!!!!!!

Before even learning this the funeral home (degree is in embalming/funeral directing) that swore up and down that they were going to hire me stabbed me in the back and turned me down due to "hospitalization concerns" on their insurance. The old men that run the fucking funeral home are too stupid to know how illegal that is, but I don't have the endurance for a legal battle anymore.

Ugh. Rant over.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

My only fear is not being able to experience it (peacefully, ideally). Judging from near-death experience (and DMT) accounts it's not something I really want to miss out on.

With that said, I'm also in no rush.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44  Edited By -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Yeah. I'd rather not die any time soon.

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

I used to. But then I realized that fearing it or worrying about it is a waste of time/life. Especially after losing some very close...friends. Its inevitable and it will happen to everyone at some point. Fearing it isn't gonna change anything. My guess is, it will feel as it felt as before we were born.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Scared of death? No. Scared of dying before I do everything I've set out to do. Terrified.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

i fear God, not death

MacaroniMoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MacaroniMoses
Member since 2003 • 682 Posts

I was already dead before i was born so no.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I don't fear death itself, just how I would die and how much pain will be involved....

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

Quote from a line at the starting of the movie The Book Thief. "When the time comes don't panic, it doesn't seem to help!"